DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

Default Metronomes again

I'm still looking at Metronomes.

I got some good ideas earlier on the forum and I'm looking seriously at the Tama Rhythm watch RW105 about $100. But, I was reading some of the threads here and the Metrophones look interesting, but how does it compare to the Tama?

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with both and what advantages does one over the other have?

I'm looking for one that's heavy duty, reliable, fairly easy to use (I have some technical ability and usually have no trouble figuring stuff out) - I don't want something that you have to spend lots of time programing though. I want something that can be versitle and with lots of options (headphones and without headphones etc.). I would only want to spend no more than $200.

Thoughts?
Old 10-06-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Metronomes again

I have the Tama, and it is doing the job for me. Very easy to use. And it must be quite heavy duty because I'm not very careful with it -it ends up pretty much in any bag with some space left - and it still works fine.

You'll need isolation headphones if you want to use it with your acoustic kit. The volume level is not very high.

I don't know the metrophones. It is this thing ?

http://www.bigbangdist.com/metrophones.htm

The only thing I would say is that I sometimes use my tama at gigs, but using only the lights to count in the songs, and as a quick self-check from times to times during the songs. You won't be able to do that with the metrophones.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffle View Post
I have the Tama, and it is doing the job for me. Very easy to use. And it must be quite heavy duty because I'm not very careful with it -it ends up pretty much in any bag with some space left - and it still works fine.

You'll need isolation headphones if you want to use it with your acoustic kit. The volume level is not very high.

I don't know the metrophones. It is this thing ?

http://www.bigbangdist.com/metrophones.htm

The only thing I would say is that I sometimes use my tama at gigs, but using only the lights to count in the songs, and as a quick self-check from times to times during the songs. You won't be able to do that with the metrophones.
Isolation headphones? Do they plug into the Tama? How does that work? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but the last time I used a metronome was in the 70's and it was a windup I seem to remember.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:05 PM

There is a 1/8" output jack for headphones (or console) on the tama metronome.

The click can also come from a small speaker, but it is not that loud. Very likely to loose the click when playing an acoustic set. It is ok to use with a practice pad
Old 10-08-2007, 12:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
There is a 1/8" output jack for headphones (or console) on the tama metronome.

The click can also come from a small speaker, but it is not that loud. Very likely to loose the click when playing an acoustic set. It is ok to use with a practice pad
Is that the Tama that I see people using sometimes on videos where the sound is kind of a bell/clave sound? Ya - I'd be using headphones.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:02 AM
fourstringdrums

I have the Tama and I really like it. It's very loud with or without headphones. My only gripe is that you have to be very careful removing the 9V battery. I was trying to remove the crappy one that came with it, and one of the ones got ripped out of the battery clip, so now I can't use the battery, only a 9V. I suppose I'll have to find someone who does electronics and have them take out the circuit board and solder a new clip.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:20 AM

I highly recommend the Boss DB-90. The best metronome out there.

And don't even consider the metrophones. They may seem cool for a while, but they are darn heavy, the water filled suction cups eventually lose their water, and the headphone jack is poorly put together causing audio to only come out the one ear, and the metronome has no options outside of the selection of BPM.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:45 AM

Quote:

I agree. The Tama is awesome. It travels alot with me and has held up fine. I have to use isolation headphones, but it's a great metronome.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I have the Tama and I really like it. It's very loud with or without headphones. My only gripe is that you have to be very careful removing the 9V battery. I was trying to remove the crappy one that came with it, and one of the ones got ripped out of the battery clip, so now I can't use the battery, only a 9V. I suppose I'll have to find someone who does electronics and have them take out the circuit board and solder a new clip.
So I take it you can plug it into an ac outlet or use a battery?
Old 10-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdschnee View Post
I highly recommend the Boss DB-90. The best metronome out there.

And don't even consider the metrophones. They may seem cool for a while, but they are darn heavy, the water filled suction cups eventually lose their water, and the headphone jack is poorly put together causing audio to only come out the one ear, and the metronome has no options outside of the selection of BPM.
I looked at the Boss DB-90,Dr. Beat, online - it looks like a great metronome and more.

It sounds like the Tama Rhythm Watch and this one are both good - I'll have to decide which one now............

Thanks
Old 10-08-2007, 06:57 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONA View Post
So I take it you can plug it into an ac outlet or use a battery?
Yes, but it doesn't come with its own A.C. so you'd have to get one.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Do you mean it doesn't come with the AC plug?
Old 10-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
The specs. on this site says it does come with an AC adapter.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-BOS-DB90.html
Old 10-08-2007, 07:59 PM

I've been using the BOSS DB-90 and it's working out really nice. There are a lot of patterns programmed into it. Adjusting the temp is really easy with the wheel, and you can have the metronome accent the pulse and make several subdivisions including triplets. There are several sounds that can be programmed to represent back-beats and down-beats. It also has a headphone jack if the click isn't loud enough while you're playing (though it is for me, I still use headphones to protect my ears from the drums).
Old 10-08-2007, 08:02 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
The specs. on this site says it does come with an AC adapter.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-BOS-DB90.html
No, I was talking about the Tama. You quoted me when you asked about using battery or A.C.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
No, I was talking about the Tama. You quoted me when you asked about using battery or A.C.
Ya - sorry - I forget sometimes where I'm at when I'm reading these treads. It looks like I will be buying the Bos here online. I've seen some variation in pricing - from $159 down to $113, for the same unit.

As an aside - have you been doing much playing on your Gretsch?
Old 10-08-2007, 10:20 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:

As an aside - have you been doing much playing on your Gretsch?
Yeah, when I can. Sometimes it's hard to get a chance to play when I have other stuff to do.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

KONA, you should also think about where you want to use the metronome. I have a basic electronic one, a Seiko from the mid-80s, that works well enough. However, I recently got a Korg Beat Bug, a tiny metronome that fits in the ear and looks like a Bluetooth. It has very limited features, but it's discreet and I sometimes use it during live performance, where there is a song with a very fast or very slow tempo that is tricky to sustain. The Beat Bug wouldn't make a good primary metronome, but for occasional live use, it's great.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
KONA, you should also think about where you want to use the metronome. I have a basic electronic one, a Seiko from the mid-80s, that works well enough. However, I recently got a Korg Beat Bug, a tiny metronome that fits in the ear and looks like a Bluetooth. It has very limited features, but it's discreet and I sometimes use it during live performance, where there is a song with a very fast or very slow tempo that is tricky to sustain. The Beat Bug wouldn't make a good primary metronome, but for occasional live use, it's great.
I will be using it to "learn" to play all over again. I've been away from it of over 30 years and I guess I just want to play and have fun with all the new stuff out there (the new stuff that works of course). I'm slowly filling a spare room up with new drums and equipment (and old Valje congas, roto toms and various percussion) to keep me occupied when I retire in a couple of years. That Korg Beat Bug sounds interesting too.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2007, 12:35 AM

I have the Tama Rhythm Watch, but I've used the Dr. Beat before. They basically function the same, except that the Dr. Beat has a tuner, so that would help you tune your drums (if you tune to specific notes, that is)
Old 10-09-2007, 07:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
I have the Tama Rhythm Watch, but I've used the Dr. Beat before. They basically function the same, except that the Dr. Beat has a tuner, so that would help you tune your drums (if you tune to specific notes, that is)
Yes - the tuner would help. I noticed that in the specs.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 04:31 AM

I use the Tama and the Metrophones together. It's a hassle to take off your phones to adjust the tempo between songs, it's also a great way to protect your hearing. The Tama is programmable and has lights! So get yourself a set of iso-phones, Metrophones has a bare bones model and pick up the Tama Rhythm Watch and your set for any situation.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgarbo View Post
I use the Tama and the Metrophones together. It's a hassle to take off your phones to adjust the tempo between songs, it's also a great way to protect your hearing. The Tama is programmable and has lights! So get yourself a set of iso-phones, Metrophones has a bare bones model and pick up the Tama Rhythm Watch and your set for any situation.
So you're saying the Tama RW and Metrophones "bare bones model" together might be a better choice than the Dr. Beat?

Maybe I'll just get all three (Tama, DR. Beat and Metrophones) - Like my wife says "you can't have too much drum stuff you know" I wish!

Thanks
Old 10-11-2007, 06:27 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Like my wife says "you can't have too much drum stuff you know" I wish!

Thanks
How can I train my wife to say that?
Old 10-11-2007, 06:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
How can I train my wife to say that?
I don't think one can - was a joke
Old 10-24-2007, 02:14 PM

Dude, steer clear of the Metrophones...built in metronome or not. They are heavy as a mother (which start to hurt after a while), the suction cups lose their water pretty quickly, the metronome has zero options, and most of all the line-in connection is shoddy at best. In a short period of time the connection becomes loose and audio will only come out of one ear (this has been a reoccurring theme in most reviews that I've seen on musiciansfriend). Looking back on the purchase, it was a waste of $100.

I totally recommend the Dr Beat 90. That and my Shure E3 IEM for the win...
Old 11-02-2007, 04:45 AM

I use a Roland TD-6 as my metronome. I have tried many metronomes and none of them work for drummers unless it has a 1/4 jack that you can plug into an amp that is as loud as your drums. Most drummers speed-up and lose tempo on fills and also play louder on fills. Every drummer needs to live on that click of the metronome a drummer is the clock of the band everything else is noise and hurts the band this is a big fat Duhhh! Point is the metronome must be louder than you!

www.myspace.com/keithdaileybeats
Old 11-14-2007, 04:17 PM

boss db-30, all the way baby. the doctor can cure what ails you.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:18 PM

I'll have to go along with the Boss DB-90 as well. It's a great metronome. I recently got a pair of Direct Sound Extreme Isolation phones for it and haven't looked back.

---LG