DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Senior Administrator

Default Re: Steve Smith Clinic! now with report and pics!

cool.

benny does some weird stuff with that ride. he rubs the but of his stick slowly near the bell and gets a screeching violin sound then he cups his hand over the bell strikes the bell and waves his cupped hand up and down creating a perfect wah-wah sound.

onf the cool things i now recall steve doing...see how he's wearing that headset? mid solo he does a call and answer between insanely fast vocal beatboxing and then echoing it precisely with just his double bass pedal.
duggaduggadrrrrduggadrrrrduggadigdugdigdugdugadada gudadadadrrdrrrdrrrdugiddydugdigdug.
the guy puts all those fast lawnmower metal heads to shame with his speed, dynamics and creativity.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 07-31-2006, 04:05 PM

Glad you enjoyed the clinics guys, Steve is truly a phenom. The first time I saw Steve was at a PASIC in Columbus, Ohio in 1993. Steves clinic was early (about 9:00 am ) and I was coming from about 45 miles away buckin the mornin rush hour traffic. I got their a couple minutes late and Steve was already playin. I stood at the back of the hall and kept hearing "man !" "wooow" "holy ****" coming from someone behind me. So at the end of the solo I turned around to see who was making the comments (which i TOTALLY agreed with) and it was Peter Erskine ! Last year at PASIC I got Steve to autograph my copy of his U.S.BEAT dvd !
Old 07-31-2006, 04:35 PM
Senior Administrator

that's a cool annecdote because in my book peter is up there with steve in the pantheon of super drummers.

j

Old 07-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Senior Administrator

just found some footage of steve and pete doing theire thing a couple of years ago. so it will give you an idea of the flavour...except now they are both much better and benny was involved.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvAZ...=steve%20smith

and him and benny did this hihat solo as a duo plus plus plus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wext...=steve%20smith

and if you have any doubts if pete belonged on the stage with the other two drumming giants have a look here and be converted...to tabla
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gTIZ...pete%20lockett

j

Old 07-31-2006, 05:11 PM

Absolutely NJ ! It freaked me right out when I saw the person behind me making the comments of glee and approval was Peter Erskine. I got to recount this story to PE almost ten years later, and he said he remembers the performance to this day !
Old 07-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Senior Administrator

actually now that i think of it i can understand PE's excitement. when i was a newby drummer all drum solos were amazing but i had no idea what i was hearing or even really seeing. even yesterday at the clinic i know that a lot of what those blokes were doing sounded like neat rumbling to me.
but to ears as old and percussively tuned as peter's he must have been able to identify or at least closely guess what steve was doing; and then as a top drummer himself, he knew exactly how hard the parts were; and then being the class of musician the peter is, he was able to see the full finesse with which steve was executing the moves...and the admiration was informed and genuine.
i think its a cool realisation i've just made: as we get better the solos we see around us become better understood and more fully appreciated by us.
i can imagine the guys at the top love meeting eachother and seeing what other guys are doing and how well they are pulling it all off. i want in on that...
j

Old 07-31-2006, 06:09 PM

I absolutely love Benny Grebs' kit. If I was to get a new kit, It would probably be very similar to that. The montreal highlights kit of his one of the best looking/sounding kits ever IMO.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:05 AM

wow!!! that tabla was amazing!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 03:55 PM

I second that J ! Thanks for posting the pics and vid, great stuff. I belive you are correct that the reason I freaked when I realized it was PE behind me makin the comments was that he understood more of what was goin on then I, and was still duly impressed ! I'd like some of that also !
Old 08-01-2006, 06:09 PM

Hi guys

that was my first clinc and what a show!

just thought i would check in

adam
Old 08-02-2006, 04:03 PM

Hello! I was there aswell, in fact, jason got on bennys kit before, doubt you remember me, but what a day! I thought it was great when pete Lockett came on, i saw him last year at drummer live, and im planning on going to one of his clinics. Has anyone got there hands on Benny's album, I really liked the tracks he played at the clinic.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Senior Administrator

yeah.i'm surprised they weren't for sale there. i would snagged mea couple too. i don't even know the title of the new album.
i remember you. i think we both surprised when that big fella asked us if we wanted our picture taken behind the kit. so post your pic up here already dude.

j

Old 08-02-2006, 05:28 PM

Grebfruit is the title, im about to buy one off of his site.

Cant wait to see benny again at drummerlive, hes such an entertainer!
Old 09-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Steve Smith

Just wanted to add that I have been spending time listening to this History of US Beat DVD and it is fabulous. An amazing drummer and the DVD is a great value. Good instructional stuff with outstanding solos and extras. I like the Bonham grooves and easy to understand when you see Smith break them down. Worth the price of the DVD alone, but way much more to the two discs than that. His hand and foot technique lessons are A+. His independence stuff, or interdependence as he calls it, is mind blowing. Thought Peart had that down cold with the waltz, but now I know why Peart mentions Smith ... he is the real deal. One of the very top drummers giving you 4 1/2 hours of amazing drumming. Check it out.

Last edited by joeybeats; 10-22-2006 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Added link to my kit.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

My name is Steve Smith

no kidding, but I am not the famous Steve Smith.

I should buy Steve Smith sticks my techer would think it would be hilairious

You should have seen last time I went to test out some cymbals, the guy on the intercom was like "Steve Smith is here to test out some cymbals he is interested in" All the heads in the store turned.

I should sign my sticks, Ha Ha. :)

Yep he is also awesome for having the same name as me.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:02 AM
Silver Member

Smooooooooth. What ever band he's in, or style he plays, it's always just silky, man.

Definately tied for first in my living drummers list!

His DVD is awesome as well.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:31 AM
Silver Member

Yeah hes great, but its a shame hes injured. I'm gonna need him next week.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:51 AM

Location: Manama, Bahrain Lebanon but originally from Neuchatel, Switzerland.

I've seen Steve Smith twice, once with Vital Information and once with Buddy's Buddies. Extremely dynamic drummer. Fantastic musician overall. I met him briefly and he was not overly warm. A bit of a distant / shy type.

Of course, everyone should strongly study Vital Information and Journey. However, there are a few recordings he did that show a slightly different side of his playing that with the above two bands :

Y&T - 10
Bryan Adams - Reckless
Goodman/Smith/Levy/Burbridge - The Strangers' Hand
Neal Schon - Late Nite
Neal Schon - Beyond The Thunder
Neal Schon - Electric World (also featuring Walfredo Reyes Jr.)
Stef Burns - Swamp Tea
Old 10-04-2006, 02:02 AM
Silver Member

Really GOOD! he can really DRUM IT :)
Old 10-05-2006, 08:47 PM

I saw Vital Information in April 2006 and Jazz legacy Sept 2006. NY

Amazing

Met Steve on both ocasions and he is a great person.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:28 AM

I bought a Journey dvd today just to listen to and watch him play. I`ve always liked his tom sound. Steve is certainly one of my favorite drummers.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:27 AM

History of the U.S. Beat DVD is great. This is a must for all drummers!
Check out his another project Vital Tech Tones w/ Scott Henderson and Victor Wooten, too...they play John Coltrane's "Giant Steps" and it's really jaw-dropping.

I have met with Steve a couple of times, at NAMM show and a drum clinic in Tokyo, both last year. In Tokyo, a guy who was my teacher at that time and myself "kidnapped" Steve right after the clinic, and drove him to Blue Note Tokyo to talk with the booking manager, but we couldn't catch him there. I called the booking manager's cell phone and let him talk with Steve. They talked for a while, and then we took him to the restaurant where Sonor people were waiting for him.

Steve studied at Berklee first with Alan Dawson, and then Gary Chaffee. Alan left Berklee while Steve was in Berklee, so after that Steve took Gary's class at school and also had Alan's private lesson at his home. Vinnie Colaiuta was a fellow student at that time, and Steve & Vinnie often took a bus ride to NYC to hear Tony Williams or Steve Gadd. They are still good friends.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:10 PM

Hey all, I gotta throw my 2 cents in here too! Steve Smith is Very good. Im not sure what DVD it was, But i remember seeing him play with Victor Wooten, and he blew me away. His hi hat control and stick control lis soo good. He also did a huge Section on polyrythms. Kept changing the times and such. Great guy!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Pioneer Member

a wise sage once suggested that if you are ever nervous meeting someone, picture them in their underwear. If anyone is ever going to meet Steve Smith just watch the video of "Separate Ways" - much more embarrasing than being caught out in the open with no pants on! His drumming, however, speaks for itself and Stu is right that those old Journey parts are incredibly good. I think he really set the standard for the stadium rock bands of the 70s and 80s. A great drummer - even if he should really never stand in front of the camera and play air guitar!

Paul
Old 10-31-2006, 06:49 PM
Silver Member

What a shame of drummer of this magnitude with barely 2 pages of responses....

Guys need to get with the program and recognize a true drumming technician...
Please!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:11 PM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearDrummer
What a shame of drummer of this magnitude with barely 2 pages of responses....

Guys need to get with the program and recognize a true drumming technician...
Please!
Hey Linear. I couldn't agree more with that. It IS a shame! I love Steve Smith. He's really advanced from a great rock drummer to, what you say, a true drumming technician. Thanks for pointing this out. Play On!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums
Hey Linear. I couldn't agree more with that. It IS a shame! I love Steve Smith. He's really advanced from a great rock drummer to, what you say, a true drumming technician. Thanks for pointing this out. Play On!

Steve Smith has always been a Jazz drummer, rock was not his starting point. He turned down a touring gig with Freddie Hubbard in order to join Montrose. He wanted to develop some experience playing rock which led to the Journey gig.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster
Steve Smith has always been a Jazz drummer, rock was not his starting point. He turned down a touring gig with Freddie Hubbard in order to join Montrose. He wanted to develop some experience playing rock which led to the Journey gig.
Yeah, Steve is basically a Jazz drummer. He was a Tony Williams fanatic when he was young, and according to my former teacher, who also studied w/ Alan Dawson & Gary Chaffee at Berklee and has been good friends w/ Steve (and Vinnie), all of Steve's friends at Berklee were surprised when they heard that he joined Journey because they knew Steve loved Tony Williams and jazz so much. Steve was even playing free-jazz w/ George Garzone at his early days as a professional drummer.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:09 AM
Silver Member

Ahhh O.K. thanks for clearing that up....So jazz was always his thang....

I actually thought he was a rock based drummer that was classically trained at Berklee and he wanted to get back to his roots after Journey and do some jazz...
Old 11-01-2006, 06:26 AM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearDrummer
Ahhh O.K. thanks for clearing that up....So jazz was always his thang....

I actually thought he was a rock based drummer that was classically trained at Berklee and he wanted to get back to his roots after Journey and do some jazz...
They're ya go, Linear. Were gettin' close to a 3rd page of responses for Steve. See, all ya need is a little spark to fan the flame. Good Job. Play On!
Old 11-01-2006, 07:11 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums
Steve Smith was always a great drummer. He just happened to be a drummer who was looking for a gig when Journey hired him! Steve has taken that opportuntiy and made a great life for himself. We should all be this lucky to be financially successful enough to hone our skills to level he has! Everything he did with Journey was enough, but what he has done with his skill and music puts him in a very elite group of players. He could have disappeared after Journey, but he cared enough to keep going. If you don't have it, you should check out the "Vitalive!" album. Also, because of websites like Amazon, you can now find discs like the very first Vital Information album (also recommended) available.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 11-01-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumMasterDave
Hey all, I gotta throw my 2 cents in here too! Steve Smith is Very good. Im not sure what DVD it was, But i remember seeing him play with Victor Wooten, and he blew me away. His hi hat control and stick control lis soo good. He also did a huge Section on polyrythms. Kept changing the times and such. Great guy!

On Modern Drummer Festival ?
Old 11-01-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Popescu
On Modern Drummer Festival ?
I guess it's this one...
http://www.amazon.com/Drummers-Colle.../dp/B0000A381Z
Old 11-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Synthetik

I saw Jouney in the late 70's It was the first time I saw a drummer play two kick drums. Steve was using some kind of DW pedals back then and (IIRC) an early red sonor kit. I thought he was amazing then, a Berklee educated jazzman-come-rocker.

"EC34PE" was an early favorite of mine because of the way Steve supported the music through the whole thing. He added value and taste. Later on "frontiers" he had the consummate arena-rock sound.

Now he has gone full circle, and I am glad to see that he has not only been able to play the music he wants to, make a superb DVD, and elevate his playing to mastery.

Steve Smith has made his mark in two distinct genres of music.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:56 AM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch
Steve Smith was always a great drummer. He just happened to be a drummer who was looking for a gig when Journey hired him! Steve has taken that opportuntiy and made a great life for himself. We should all be this lucky to be financially successful enough to hone our skills to level he has! Everything he did with Journey was enough, but what he has done with his skill and music puts him in a very elite group of players. He could have disappeared after Journey, but he cared enough to keep going. If you don't have it, you should check out the "Vitalive!" album. Also, because of websites like Amazon, you can now find discs like the very first Vital Information album (also recommended) available.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw

Oh, Ok...Thanks Skitch! Appreciate that! Play On!
Old 11-06-2006, 06:59 AM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetik
I saw Jouney in the late 70's It was the first time I saw a drummer play two kick drums. Steve was using some kind of DW pedals back then and (IIRC) an early red sonor kit. I thought he was amazing then, a Berklee educated jazzman-come-rocker.

"EC34PE" was an early favorite of mine because of the way Steve supported the music through the whole thing. He added value and taste. Later on "frontiers" he had the consummate arena-rock sound.

Now he has gone full circle, and I am glad to see that he has not only been able to play the music he wants to, make a superb DVD, and elevate his playing to mastery.

Steve Smith has made his mark in two distinct genres of music.
Hello Synthetik...I like your post, here. Makes alot of sense. Yes, two genres is certainly right. Thanks! Play on!
Old 11-06-2006, 05:23 PM

Steve is definatly an AMAZING drummer. He is becoming one of my favorites the more I see him. I am going to buy his latest DVD very soon. One thing that stick out about him, to me, is that he is very, very smooth in any transition from one thing to the next.
Absolutly one of the best drummers ever.

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Old 12-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybbdrummin View Post
I am going to buy his latest DVD very soon.
Trust me you won't be disapointed....
One of the best DVDs I have out of my collection of 50 or so...

Its informative and inspirational....
Old 01-03-2007, 03:23 AM
Silver Member

He is an awesome drummer.

A neat little tidbit, as good as he is (and he is a friggen monster comprabable with greats), he is taking lessons from the Lang now.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:03 AM

I really enjoy Steve Smith's playing but can we all agree that his technique and style is very unique and is unreal? I really admire his left hand for it's very different with his thumb seperated from his pointer finger. He's a joy to watch and is by far one of the best guys out there.