DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-03-2007, 02:29 AM

Default Stock Resonant Heads...

Sooo, I've heard a bit about resonant heads that stock resonant heads aren't the best... I have a Mapex Pro-M with all stock resonant heads... do you guys think I should replace any of them? (that's 3 toms, a bass, and a snare)
Old 10-03-2007, 07:57 AM
Colonel Bat Guano

Default Re: Stock Resonant Heads...

You should be able to get by, unless the heads are obviously stretched-out and/or dead sounding. Or if you think they just plain don't sound good, which would be the most valid reason of all. Personally, I'd change 'em. But not at the expense of something more critical. You'll get the most out of your kit's tone potential with new resos, but if you don't feel like buying anything more right now, then I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

Don't know what Mapex supplies with their kits, but unless you see a name brand down there, I'd change 'em. They have more effect on your sound than many folks think.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
Don't know what Mapex supplies with their kits, but unless you see a name brand down there, I'd change 'em. They have more effect on your sound than many folks think.
Mapex supplies their kits with Remo UX heads. I don't think they are the same quality as normal remo heads (someone said they are thinner than usual) but the certainly do the trick. I still have stock Reso's on my Pro-M but I will actually be changing them end of this month and as Colonel Bat says unless there is nothing vital that you need to get, the stock reso's can wait.

As you say though drumtechdad - the stock resos are at least a name brand and they certainly havent given me any probs on my Pro M!

Cheers,

Ant :-)
Old 10-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Gold Member

Ah. I know nothing about the Remo OEM heads. But if you think they're thinner they may be more like a clear Diplomat than a clear Ambassador. Some jazz guys like Diplomats on the bottoms, but most folks like a 10-mil head like the clear Ambassador or Evans G1.

Oh, and Joe P, we're basically talking about toms here--snares and bass drums are altogether different animals.

I routinely change reso heads on toms once a year. (Batters usually twice.) If yours are that old, change 'em. They make a big difference.