DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 10-01-2007, 05:15 AM
Silver Member

Default Out with the Old...

...and in with the new

I traded the Ludwigs for this set of Canwoods.

I have a history with this kit that I will not get into right now. Suffice to say that I have covetted this kit for years, and now it is mine, and all it cost me was my Ludwigs.

Specs are 20x18, 14x12, 12x8, 10x10, 14x5. The lugs came from an old Hayman kit (God rest it), the rest of the hardware is Pearl, Premier,Ludwig, and Gibralter.

This kit has complicated my overall drum plans in that I was going to sell all but my white marine, and black oyster dubs. Now that I have these, I am going to keep them, and the wmp's.

I can't wait to give these a really good test drive, although I have played them before.

Yipppppeeeeeeee...

Barry
Old 10-01-2007, 05:41 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Out with the Old...

That is an absolutley beutiful set. What kind of ride cymbal is it? And how is the cymbal?
Old 10-01-2007, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

I truly envy you, my friend! You are living your passion. You go through kits like I go through cereal boxes...

There's obviously a story behind this one. Hope you have a blast playing it. What kind of wood is that? Its beautiful.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Silver Member

...Thanks Guys.

Class A, the ride is a 20" El Sabor. I love this ride. It is roughly medium weight, crashes nicely, and has a killer bell. The other cymbals are an 18" El sabor crash, 14" El sabor hats, and an 18" HHXtreme crash. These are my LOUD cymbals.

Aydee, Sat Sree Akall my friend. I don't mean to buy all these drums, they sometimes just jump out at me and I am powerless to resist. I thought that I was done and was looking at downsizing, then this kit comes along and.....

About this kit, it is around fifteen years old and belonged to my Brother Bob, who had it built using the lugs from an old eviscerated Hayman kit that I ended up with as my first drumset. My brother has always been a diehard Ludwig fan, and some years ago, replaced these Canwoods with a sixties era vintage champagne sparkle kit. My brother has been playing for almost fourty years, and has gigged steady since he first started playing. He has always been my greatest inspiration when it comes to all things drum. When I was kid, I wanted to play the drums mainly because of him, but any time that he would catch me anywhere near or on his drums, he would beat the ever loving crap out of me. That did not help my drumming, but it made me a fearless hockey goalie.

After I bought the Ludwigs, I called him to gloat. He came over and gave them a test drive, and I guess that he liked them. On the weekend, he called me and asked if I was interested in a shells for shells swap, his Canwoods for my Ludwigs. I did not have to think about it as I have been waiting for these drums since he bought his other Ludwigs. As I said, Bob loves his Ludwigs, but they are starting to develop a bit of road rash. My Ludwigs will be his gig kit, and that will allow him to preserve his "nice" kit. Both kits are the same sizes, so they are perfect for him.

I have played these drums before, and I have sat in with my brothers band a few times playing these, and his champagne sparkle kit. I will make some changes to this kit n order to personalize it, but they will always be Bobs drums. If he ever wants them back, or wants to use them he is always welcome to do so.

barry
Old 10-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Jusstickinaround

What ludwigs did you have? That is a beautiful kit.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
What ludwigs did you have? That is a beautiful kit.
...Thanks J Sticks.

These were the Ludwigs that I traded for the Canwoods. I bought them in August, so I never really had time to become too attached to them. This was a Ringo Re issue kit, 20x14, 14x14, 12x8, 14x5.

These are my brothers champagne sparklies, shown with a 16x16" floor tom. You can see a little of the Canwoods in the foreground.

Aydee. sorry but I did not answer your question. The drums are maple Keller shells, 8 ply I believe with the snare being a 10 ply. The finish is an amber lacquer. This is the third Canwood kit that I have owned. As Much as I like them, I still prefer my dubs.

barry
Old 10-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post

These were the Ludwigs that I traded for the Canwoods. I bought them in August, so I never really had time to become too attached to them. This was a Ringo Re issue kit, 20x14, 14x14, 12x8, 14x5.

These are my brothers champagne sparklies, shown with a 16x16" floor tom. You can see a little of the Canwoods in the foreground.

barry
Great story, Barry. Amazing how one spends a lifetime on little stuff that happened between bothers, sisters ..ages ago.

I can feel the emotional significance of this georgeous keller kit. Given your penchant for having your own private drum museum, I'm sure this one will hold a special place !

Hope you put them up in a place from where you can see them while your'e playing your DWs! : )
Old 10-02-2007, 02:42 AM
Silver Member

what a great looking kit. I'm loving that finish brother :D Congrats....

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 10-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

...looks like Bobs initial infatuation with my Ludwigs has passed.

Looks like I will be getting them back.

Damn!!! I was just getting into those Canwoods, and now, like the hot girl from my highschool days, a little tease and they are gone.

And like the not as hot girl that I dumped for the hot girl who dumped me, I go crawling awkwardly back to the Ludwigs as if there is nothing wrong.

Oh well, at least we had Beaverlodge.

barry
Old 10-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Gold Member

i dig the little snare on the shelf - the dw sparkle!!! what size it is??

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
...Thanks J Sticks.

Aydee. sorry but I did not answer your question. The drums are maple Keller shells, 8 ply I believe with the snare being a 10 ply. The finish is an amber lacquer. This is the third Canwood kit that I have owned. As Much as I like them, I still prefer my dubs.

barry
Old 10-10-2007, 12:55 AM
Silver Member

...radeq.

If you are refering to the one underneath the 13" rack tom it is a 14x6" edge in white marine pearl.

Barry
Old 10-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Silver Member

...I got my Ludwigs back yesterday.

The main reason that Bob wanted to trade back was because of all the extra holes that were drilled in the bass drum, and the 12" rack tom. Like I said before, the guy that I bought these drums from had drilled a bunch of holes, as he switched the bass drum mount, and spurs as well as the tom mount on the 12. I was not too crazy about the extra holes myself, but thought that I could live with them as the price was so right, and that these were to be a resale, or a player kit. The snare and the 14" floor tom are in excellent shape, so once again, the gears are a grinding.

This is my new evil plan for the Ludwigs. I think that I might combine the Ludwig bass drum with the 12', plus the 10 and 14" Sonor toms, and that 12" Traxx snare drum, and fire sale them as a franken kit.

I can then use the 14" Ludwig floor tom with my black oyster dubs, something like this...

This leaves me with more options regarding the rest of my strays as well.

It also will give me an excuse to look for another 12" tom.

Barry