DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

Default I just bought a Gibraltar 9611sd, but may want different double pedals?

I recently bought a Gibraltar Intruder 9611 strap drive single pedal. It's a nice pedal but I also want a double pedal. I will be using a single pedal for a "foot bell".

I tried a Pearl Eliminator and it felt good too.

Now I can't really decide except the Gibraltar feels a little bulkier and at this point I don't know if that's good or bad - I'm just starting playing again after about a 31 year lay-off.

For those of you that have played both (Gibraltar & Pearl) for a while - how do they compare with each other - and why would you choose one over the other?
Old 10-06-2007, 03:43 AM

Default Re: I just bought a Gibraltar 9611sd, but may want different double pedals?

Hey Kona,

Lots of posts here about double pedals, but I'll try to help.

I got back into drumming in a big way this year after about a 28 year layoff, so I know the feeling. The only time I ever played a double pedal before was when a friend brought his kit over to my house and we set them up together. That was a long time ago.

But I do tend to research things to death, and also try them out before I buy them. You may or may not have the luxury of a drum shop near you where you can do that. But I compared the Gibraltar, DW5000, Iron Cobra, and Pearl Elims before I bought. They didn't have a Yamaha on the floor, so I wasn't able to try that one. To me, the Pearls felt the best, and I like the fact that you have the Powershifter pedal and 4 different cams, all of which give you a different feel. I started out using the red cam, and now use the blue one. Seems to be the most comfortable to me, but you have endless adjustment options with the Elims. Oh, and I opted for the strap drive.

Best advice anyone can give you though is to try them out. I play mostly Classic Rock from the 70's and80's, and don't use them all the time. If you're playing Metal you might want a different feel altogether.

~~Sorry my dog humped your leg. He feels terrible about it.~~
Old 10-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: I just bought a Gibraltar 9611sd, but may want different double pedals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norske View Post
Hey Kona,

Lots of posts here about double pedals, but I'll try to help.

I got back into drumming in a big way this year after about a 28 year layoff, so I know the feeling. The only time I ever played a double pedal before was when a friend brought his kit over to my house and we set them up together. That was a long time ago.

But I do tend to research things to death, and also try them out before I buy them. You may or may not have the luxury of a drum shop near you where you can do that. But I compared the Gibraltar, DW5000, Iron Cobra, and Pearl Elims before I bought. They didn't have a Yamaha on the floor, so I wasn't able to try that one. To me, the Pearls felt the best, and I like the fact that you have the Powershifter pedal and 4 different cams, all of which give you a different feel. I started out using the red cam, and now use the blue one. Seems to be the most comfortable to me, but you have endless adjustment options with the Elims. Oh, and I opted for the strap drive.

Best advice anyone can give you though is to try them out. I play mostly Classic Rock from the 70's and80's, and don't use them all the time. If you're playing Metal you might want a different feel altogether.
Thanks,
Ya - I like the Pearl as well. No - I'm not playing Metal, not because I'm 58 years old, I like some of it and appreciate the complexity of it, it's just out of my "skill" level. I like Dream Theatre, but I don't think I'm anywhere near there with my drumming skills. I love playing and can sit and practice for hours and I don't get bored. I try to work on my rudiments and Independence - that's good enough for me. I've incorporated my roto toms and Valje bongos and congas into my kit. Well, my kit consists of a new Gretsch shelllpack, a pedal, a snare stand and a few cowbells so far. I've ordered some Gibraltar Hybrid stands (9813dp) and almost settled on some Istanbul cymbals, so, it's coming together. I just have to get a nice Persian Rug to put everything on - like the one Greg Lake used after he almost got electricuted by the mike stand.

I like the Pearl pedals because they are less bulky than the Gibraltars and they have, like you said, lots of adjustment.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Silver Member

I ordered an AXIS AL-2 double pedal last week.
I wasn't going to buy one of those but I caved - it's my large kippers (size 15) that influenced the decision. Hope it was the right one - we'll see.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONA View Post
I ordered an AXIS AL-2 double pedal last week.
I wasn't going to buy one of those but I caved - it's my large kippers (size 15) that influenced the decision. Hope it was the right one - we'll see.
I think I might be the only person here that still loves Axis...

If you're patient enough, you'll truly enjoy everything the AL-2 has to offer. I'm kind of in the same boat you were. I didn't take a 31 year hiatus, but did walk away from it for a little while. I stepped back in playing a Sonor double pedal for a long while and stepped up to the AL-2. Really had to re-learn based on th vast difference in feel of the direct drive from the Axis. I'd say it took a good three to six months for it to feel completely natural again. The thing about the Axis pedal,..it's like a fine tuned Ferrari. "Delicate" comes to mind, but it has held up to everything I've put to it and I gig regularly, playing extremely hard, and I have size 13's. So, personnaly, I'd say it's more "intricate" than anything. Has a lot of adjustments that, if you're patient enough, should provide everything you're looking for.

The only other thing...First thing I did was get rid of the Sonic Hammers. First time my right foot took a *ding* from the tail of that beater...I thought it broke my foot. Plus, they're heavy. I could feel a distinct difference with something lighter. The longboards are nice. Your size 15's will appreciate the length.

In the end, you should be very pleased with it. You certainly paid enough for the Axis name. Congrats and good luck with it.

Andy

Last edited by sticksnstonesrus; 11-02-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

I love the Pearl Eliminator pedals I have.

I've owned, played on and tried a bunch of different brands & types over the years, and the Eliminator is the one I've liked the best.

Lots of EASY adjustments to tailor it to your exact liking.

If it were me, I'd get the Eliminator without a second thought.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:52 AM
Gilded

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
I love the Pearl Eliminator pedals I have.

I've owned, played on and tried a bunch of different brands & types over the years, and the Eliminator is the one I've liked the best.

Lots of EASY adjustments to tailor it to your exact liking.

If it were me, I'd get the Eliminator without a second thought.
You could've bought the model down (P122-TW) and saved some cash.

The only difference betwen the two is double chain on Eliminator and it enables you to change cams. Other than that theres not much difference besides a $150-$200 price tag difference.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilded View Post
You could've bought the model down (P122-TW) and saved some cash.

The only difference betwen the two is double chain on Eliminator and it enables you to change cams. Other than that theres not much difference besides a $150-$200 price tag difference.
The ability to change the cams is a major factor in getting the action and feel you want.
That, and changing the place the footboard itself sits, which really does make a diference in feel.
I think the 'step down' version may do that too though.

I'm pretty sure the 'step down' version's cam is like the black one on the '"full" Eliminator, which does feel pretty dang good.

So, if you like the feel with the standard cam, and the single chain, perfect, you can save some dough which is ALWAYS good.

For me, the double chain feels a lot better than the single chain version (which I had years ago, before it was called the "Eliminator") or the strap--which I tried, and is now sitting in a 'spare pedal parts' cubby on my workshop wall.

I'm of the mind that someone shouldn't (if at all possible) skimp on their pedal, no matter what brand they like.

My Eliminator's only cost me $125 or $129 each, so I don't know about a $150-200 difference in price between the two versions.

For me, one really great thing about the Eliminator is that the feel going down and coming back up is the same.

Very smooth, not sloppy, and it feels like there's something under your foot (or not, you can adjust it like that too).

I got the second for a back up on gig's, and to have it on my rehersal kit, so I wasn't lugging one around except to bring it to shows.

Another factor;
Before I got the Eliminator, my main pedal was a DW 5000 Strap drive.
---Which my 5 year old stole from me for his kit a couple years ago (you can't argue wih a 2 1/2 year old drummer that HAS to have THAT pedal...it's futile).

I really liked the cam and strap on the DW, and the Eliminator's red cam is like it.

I did originally buy a new 5000 strap (for my back up), but the feel of the new one sucked (to me).

I then tried the Eliminator. The feel of it was fantastic, and with the red cam being like my old DW strap, it really sealed it for me.

The DW 5000's (now) have a wider footboard (not that big a deal) and a different heel plate shape and height (hate it, and you can't change it to the old style. Tried it, holes don't line up).
Same Delta hinge though.

The new 5000 version's feel is totally different from mine.
I kept my 5000 pedal up, so it wasn't just because it was 'played in', the new ones just feel different.

I could have gotten a 7000, changed the chain cam to the strap, and the hinge (had the extras), and made up one to match my old DW 5000.
But ehhh..since my son has the other one, I'd have to do 2 of them 'cause I need a back up, and want one that's the same.

The 7000 is the exact same pedal as what the 5000 was--without the Delta hinge, and with the old footboard and heel plate (and a lower price).

Thankfully, I've never had to use the back up Eliminator on a gig, but it's there just in case...

Sorry for the essay....