DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-23-2012, 01:11 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: why no cymbal felts?

it's a fact brother......same for sleeves......created to avoid metal on metal situations

There can be metal-metal contact with a top cymbal felt that's not tightened down, happens all the time.

been working in recording studios for 20 years

been working live even longer

never said....hey I wish I had a top felt to cut this sustain and maybe change the character of my cymbal

You've never been in a situation where you 'needed' to. I have, live and in the studio and I can tell you top felts were a welcome alternative.

Needed? If you think about it, a top felt it the easiest, most efficient way to tame a cymbal.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:02 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
it's a fact brother......same for sleeves......created to avoid metal on metal situations

There can be metal-metal contact with a top cymbal felt that's not tightened down, happens all the time.

been working in recording studios for 20 years

been working live even longer

never said....hey I wish I had a top felt to cut this sustain and maybe change the character of my cymbal

You've never been in a situation where you 'needed' to. I have, live and in the studio and I can tell you top felts were a welcome alternative.

Needed? If you think about it, a top felt it the easiest, most efficient way to tame a cymbal.

never had the desire to tame a cymbal

I buy my cymbals because I like the way they sound when struck

....and "happens all the time" huh?

you must play completely differently than I or any other drummer I have ever known
Old 09-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Platinum Member

....and "happens all the time" huh?

you must play completely differently than I or any other drummer I have ever known

Its all about experience. In the studio there are a lot of instances where you don't get to choose your sound, someone else does. The simple twist of a wing nut on a top felt can sometimes easily make the difference, I've experienced this.

If the wrong thickness top felt is used with a short/wrong sleeve, a gap can be present and there's good potential for metal-metal contact. Felts ( and sleeves) get lost/replaced 'all the time'.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:41 AM
audiotech

I personally use cymbal felts bottom and top. I would say that 95% or better of the drummers I track have felts on the top of their cymbals.

Dennis
Old 10-10-2012, 02:53 PM

I took the top felt and wingnut off my ride only because I was using a lot of bell hits, and kept hitting the felt at very crucial cues. Then I got my 9.5" Zil-bel.