DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-27-2007, 05:00 PM

Default hard drum cases vs. padded

for gigging out (not touring or putting them on an airplane), i'm considering getting hard cases, but what should i look for when buying used ones? broken hinges, cracks, what else?

how much would a set go for used (22kick/16floor/13rack/14snare)??
Old 09-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: hard drum cases vs. padded

In terms of longevity and survivability...the hard cases are the way to go. Especially flying. Think about it...do you think the guy throwing your stuff into the belly of plane really cares about what's inside?

The soft cases are fine for local transport and will prevent small defects for the most part. Just have to watch how hard you land them and what you land them on or into.

I have no clue what a set of hard cases go for, but I imagine it isn't that cheap. But they should last a good long while.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator

I would look for all of the things you mentioned above plus depepnding on the age if they have foam padding inside this stuff tends to get harder with age. It will also take the shape of whatever was in there before and may not fit what you have to put in there.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Silver Member

I have the Tuxedo soft bags and have had the same ones for over 10 years. The only problem I have had is the one for my 14" tom zipper is broken. I agree with the other posts to go with hard cases, but at that time I was driving a Honda CRX and the drum store let me bring the bass drum case to the car to see if it would fit and it would not, so that was why I went with bags.

My drums have done a ton of traveling in them and they have done a great job of protecting them.

I agree with sticks..I would use bags only if you are not going to fly your drums anywhere.

If I were going to do major traveling (flying them) I would probably keep my bags and buy some oversized cases and pack them in both.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:36 AM
Platinum Member

I have a set from www.hardcase.com. The price is comparable to good-quality fabric bags (i.e., Protection Racket). There are many threads discussing this issue. I would search for the word "hardcase."
Old 09-28-2007, 03:52 AM
Silver Member

GC has a $500 set of hard cases on sale for for $300 right now. Covers the standard 5 piece.