DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 09-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Default Roland TD-10 - Is this a good plan?

I'm trying to either buy a better Roland kit for nighttime practice or build a soundproof "box" (a.k.a. Room Within a Room) for one of my kits.

A better Roland kit is more practical, obviously...but quite a bit more expensive. Here's the one I'm looking at:

http://boise.craigslist.org/msg/430950339.html

My biggest worry is how well practicing on a Roland, even w/ mesh heads, is going to translate over to an acoustic kit. If I spend 2 hrs. on this thing every night, is it going to have any sort of negative impact when I sit down at an acoustic?

This might seem weird but I have a TD-3 and when I bought it, I would practice on it at least an hour every night. I came to realize that it doesn't feel very realistic...there's too much rebound on the rubber pads and using a rubber pad for hi-hats didn't help much when I used real hats otherwise - it didn't translate very well. I basically stopped using it because I realized that I had to re-adjust everything I had practiced when I sat down at my acoustic.

Which would you prefer; playing a real kit inside of a homemade room within a room or playing this sucker?

Is this even a good price for this kit? How long before the triggers wear out and how costly is it to have them repaired/replaced?

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Roland TD-10 - Is this a good plan?

This may be similar to another thread that was out here a while back, but here's my thoughts. I know Roland makes an awesome product. As far as I can tell, they have the market pretty much cornered in terms of high-end e-kits. The feel is gonna be the real issue.

I had a Roland TD-6 a while back (not mesh heads, but regular rubber pads). It was extremely useful to me in terms of working on coordination excercises, but moving to the acoustic kit took me some time to get used to. It probably isn't a bad thing necessarily, just different in feel and sound. My biggest tip is to make sure you are programming the e-kit to mirror your acoustic as closely as you can in terms of using the same number of toms, cymbals etc... I found that practicing things on a 7 piece e-kit made it awfully confusing when I brought it to my 4 piece acoustic.

Personally I would rather stay consistent in terms of practicing and playing on the same kit, but if I had the money I can't say that I wouldn't like to own a Roland e-kit just for late night practice and messing around with effects etc...

Triggers are relatively cheap I believe and I bet they are covered by some kind of warranty.

Roland makes a great kit though and you may have a different experience with the mesh pads. Good Luck!

Last edited by Garvin; 09-25-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:36 PM

Good timing on the thread,i also plan to purchase an electronic kit most probably the roland 6kwx or whatever,the one with mesh heads for late practise. Just how loud are the mesh heads compared to say the rubber ones.

My opinion on the thread topic is that where as the feel would be different,and you would have to translate over to the acoustic and this would take some time. But wit the time your getting extra at night practising new things surely its easier to translate something from e-kit to acoustic rather than learning from fresh. I plan to get the kit to both increase my skills and my chops,and then in the day i can translate it onto acoustic kit to make sure it wasnt a waste of time :p
Old 09-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
This may be similar to another thread that was out here a while back, but here's my thoughts. I know Roland makes an awesome product. As far as I can tell, they have the market pretty much cornered in terms of high-end e-kits. The feel is gonna be the real issue.

I had a Roland TD-6 a while back (not mesh heads, but regular rubber pads). It was extremely useful to me in terms of working on coordination excercises, but moving to the acoustic kit took me some time to get used to. It probably isn't a bad thing necessarily, just different in feel and sound. My biggest tip is to make sure you are programming the e-kit to mirror your acoustic as closely as you can in terms of using the same number of toms, cymbals etc... I found that practicing things on a 7 piece e-kit made it awfully confusing when I brought it to my 4 piece acoustic.

Personally I would rather stay consistent in terms of practicing and playing on the same kit, but if I had the money I can't say that I wouldn't like to own a Roland e-kit just for late night practice and messing around with effects etc...

Triggers are relatively cheap I believe and I bet they are covered by some kind of warranty.

Roland makes a great kit though and you may have a different experience with the mesh pads. Good Luck!
Thanks for the insight. I agree, I actually like this setup because it almost exactly mirrors my main acoustic kit, save for some very minor details.

I'm concerned about feel as well - not only setup but as far as pad rebound and realistic feel. The TD-6 is basically the same kit as the TD-3 but with a better "brain". I really dislike the rubber pads and IMO, they feel nothing like hitting a real drum head. My TD-3 has a mesh snare and I think that's as you can get to a real drum head.

I wish I could afford it too! I have to pray my TD-3 sells in time to pay the bills!