DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 09-22-2007, 05:55 AM

Default My thoughts on the Vex double pedal.

I just got it today.
I have maybe an hour on it.... so far.
Some things I noticed: The main pedal played nice, the slave pedal had some play in it that took me a minute to figure out which hex screws to tighten. This took away the "slop". And no, there was no damaged/broken parts. My suggestion for anyone who may buy this pedal is to tighten everything, break it down to get to all hex screws, before playing.
I have never played any of the main brands (IC, Pearl eliminartors, But I do have a DW single pedal that I'm not real impressed with (DW 500).
The double pedal I was playing with is a Dixon (?), 1980's something. So the comparison here is that the Vex wins out!
As far as the material that it's made of: Again, I have not played any of the "major" brands, but I'm guessing the Vex uses a lighter aluminium or metal material. There is a Plastic bearing inside, but I'm not sure that is a detractor.
For all you hard core "name brand" opinionated pedal heads, I have been playing for over 30 years. The demands I am playing now are I only practice (because I'm tired when I get home from work) maybe a half hour a day. The band I am in get's together once every two or three months. So there is not a huge deman on the pedal I play on. I don't play hard, (although I like heavy metal), the music my band plays is middle of the road stuff. There is a lot of adustability on this pedal, probably more than I need.
So far, for the price I paid, ($99), I can't complain, it's a step up. Here is an analogy: When I was researching a rider mower (hopefully some of you have a rider mower) the forum comments were: If it's not a John Deere, it's not worth buying. Well, I did my research, and bought something other than a John Deere, and it has done me well, considering what I use it for.
Closing comments: This pedal may not be a good decision for you all who play hard everyday, which I don't. But, for $99. I think it performs well. So far I consider it a step up from what I was playing with.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Default Re: My thoughts on the Vex double pedal.

Exactly...I play for me at home, although I'm sure Paul McCartney will be calling soon, and my ego isn't such that I'm going to embarrassed if one of my friends finds out I'm playing something other than DW Drums, or Zildjian cymbals. I love my Vexdrums Pedal as well.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:50 AM

Three days of playing now and they play very nice. Again, much better than my old ones. I do have a single pedal DW 500, and the Mapex pedal that came with my set, and the Vex plays much smoother than those. For $99. not a bad pedal.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:09 AM

Against a DW500 and a Dixon pedal, I'm not surprised you like it better. Although I think you probably should have tried Pearl Eliminators,DW5000's, Yamaha Flying Dragons, or any other mainstream stuff, I'm glad you've found something that works for you.