DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-21-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Need advice on Heads for a Ludwig Accent

Hey guys,

I'm going to be buying a Ludwig Accent drumset soon I think, and I really need some advice on what heads to get for it. I know it's a cheapo kit, but I really just need this for a Christian college praise and worship group that I play with once a week, so right now it's the best option for me.

However, I plan to spend as much as necessary on heads to make it sound as good as I can. So if you guys could give me some recommendations on what heads might work well with it, I'd appreciate it. Also, should I replace the bass drum head too, or can that one stay?

If it matters at all, I'll mostly be playing at quieter volumes, occasionally with Hot Rods.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Need advice on Heads for a Ludwig Accent

What sound are you after?

Pinstripes are normally a safe option for cheaper kits.

As far as the bass drum goes i would try it first and see what its like. I use a stock bass drum head and see no reason to change it.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:59 AM
Rickk

I sold my Ludwig Accent Custom set earlier this year after I had it sounding very good.
It took me a long time to get the sound I was looking for, a deep , not very resonant, but powerful almost wet sound.

Aquarian clear studio-X on all the top heads, Evans clear resonant on the bottom.
Clear E-Mad batter bass head and Emad Clear ported Res on the bass drum.
I miss that sound.
I am now playing a DW with coated Studio -X heads and the same type of E-Mad bass heads.
This is all personal preference, but the guy that bought the set did not want to change the heads he loved the way the set sounded, and he plays more jazz, I play all music but mostly Rock.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member

You are going to need to change the reso's (bottom heads) too if you want to really get a great sound out of your kit. Ludwig Accent's are a really great kit for low cost. With a good set of batter and reso heads, it will go far. Like Bttl said.. what type of sound are you looking for?

I noticed that you said that you are going to be playing at "quieter volumes." Remo makes a good muffling product that doesn't sacrafice a ton of sound from the drums. They are called Remo Muffl's. They are very inexpensive and can work wonders with the "stock" heads on the Accent series kits. Could save you a good bit of money to free up for decent cymbals.

The Remo Muffl's allow the drum to project its sound, yet thier main objective is to pull alot of the loud sustain and ring from the drum. Don't get me wrong.. it doesn't KILL the drum, but it does quiet it just enough for good solid gig's in your most typical gig situations.

You should give them a try and see if its what your looking for.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:34 AM
Pioneer Member

At quieter volumes you are going to want sensitivity so 2 ply things aren't going to offer that. I would recommend Renaissance Ambassador to get a nice warm sound but still sensitive and yet durable. They are textured so you get the warmth but no coating that can come off.