DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-21-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Hi-hat stand and the rod

I see on some drum kits where the hi-hat rod of the hi-hat stand is NOT sticking out above the hi-hat cymbals. The rod ends right where the wing screw of the top hi-hat cymbal is. Does anyone know how to do this? I am sure that the hi-hats are not ridiculously high either that you use up all of the rod. I was thinking that maybe some people saw off the excess, but I am really not sure. If anyone can answer this, that would be great!
Old 09-21-2007, 04:51 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Hi-hat stand and the rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchagato View Post
I see on some drum kits where the hi-hat rod of the hi-hat stand is NOT sticking out above the hi-hat cymbals. The rod ends right where the wing screw of the top hi-hat cymbal is. Does anyone know how to do this? I am sure that the hi-hats are not ridiculously high either that you use up all of the rod. I was thinking that maybe some people saw off the excess, but I am really not sure. If anyone can answer this, that would be great!
If the hi-hat stand in the picture isn't really high then the rod is just shorter than most, either from the factory or by hand. Some lower end hi-hats have shorter rods, and I believe all of Yamaha's rods are pretty short because I believe they sell extensions. My DW 6500 Hi-hat came with two rods, one short and one long, I use the short one.

If you're going to cut the rod, you can just cut off the excess with a hacksaw and then grind the end smooth with a grinder bit. I had an 1" grinder bit that was concave so it rounded off the end pretty nicely when I cut the rod on my Pearl Hi-hat. Though once you do that you're probably going to get some rusting at the end. Your best bet is to cut from the threaded end and then have it re-threaded. If you have the tools and skills or have access to a machine shop with someone to do it for you, this is fairly easy.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:05 PM

I got my hihat exactly where I wanted it (height etc) then I cut the top of my hihat rod and filed it down so it was nice and smooth.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:16 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchagato View Post
Hacksaw or a bandsaw, the later which has more usage when you want to get rid of the guitar player - LOL!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 09-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
Hacksaw or a bandsaw, the later which has more usage when you want to get rid of the guitar player!
Of course, most of the guitar players we get to play with are total hacks, so I guess you could use either one...
Old 09-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

...hola catch.

rather than using a band/hacksaw, I use a tubing cutter to cut my pull rods.

http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_...s_results.aspx

You will also need a pair of vice grips to hold the rod as you rotate the cutter around the rod. This type of cutter is a bit of work for solid rods, but it does work, and it also gives you a more even cut.

This particular type of tubing cutter is the Cadillac of all tubing cutters. You may find something similar for a lot less at any plumbing supply, or home renovation store. I also bought a larger tubing cutter to cut cymbal stand sections, and rack tubing. I found it at Home Depot for somewhere around twenty dollars.

Something like this may be overkill unless you can find other uses for it. If that is the case, you may prefer the hacksawv cut and file instead.

good luck and good drumming.

Barry

Last edited by baz; 09-24-2007 at 12:20 AM. Reason: spullink