DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-27-2007, 06:28 AM
Erik Lund

Default Hamid Drake

There should totally be a thread dedicated to this guy. If this is the first time you have heard of him, then I'm happy to be the one to introduce you to the *GREAT* Hamid Drake.

For my money, he's one of the top 3 drummers walkin' the planet. The guy has so much groove in such a unique way... I get tired of hearing everyone overuse the word "groove" and place too much emphasis on it at all times. A lot of the music I love has no set time - freejazz/avant garde improv/etc.

Hamid Drake can play out with the best, and outgroove those who think they know what's up. His sound/feel/ideas are always amazing - I've never heard one bad note from him. He is a very accomplished percussionist as well - incorporating frame drums and tablas with everything else he's playing. He uses only a 4 piece kit with a few cymbals, and makes more music with them than those guys I see with 20 drums and endless cymbals.

He grew up in Chicago - learning from Alvin Fielder and the AACM guys - Fred Anderson, etc. - and has become the go-to guy for some of the most respected musicians in the international music community.

Some CD's to check out:

Die Like A Dog - Little Birds Have Fast Hearts Vol 1 &2
Daniel Carter - Painter's Spring (a great introduction to him)
Joe McPhee/Hamid Drake - Emancipation Proclomation
DKV Trio - Live @ Wels

Any drummer who throws out the term "Groove" and hasn't heard Mr. Drake needs to reaffirm what "groove" means and go check him out. The man is a monster.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Erik Lund

Default Re: Hamid Drake

And it saddens me that there have been no replies. No one here knows about him? No DRUMMER here knows about Hamid Drake? This is why publications like Modern Drummer keep showing me the same 20 guys for the past 20 years, with a flavor of the month thrown in. (and DRUM! shows me almost nothing but flavors of the month with a few metal guys thrown in)

I am done hearing about Steve Gadd, Neil Peart, Buddy Rich, Simon Phillips, etc etc. Give me some new people, like Eric Harland, Hamid Drake, Nasheet Waits, Rodney Greene, Kendrick Scott etc ETC. I'll take any of them over the first group. The drums have advanced, and not just in terms of machines keeping track of BPM...

Just sad, that's all.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Yes , you're sure not wrong .....agree

Bernhard
Old 08-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Pioneer Member

I thought there was a thread on him already... Yeah, I've seen him and met him a bunch. Super nice guy and an awesome drummer/percussionist. I saw him play with Peter Brotzmann in Amherst a while back. Then a bunch in Minneapolis. I got to hang out and chat with he and some AACM folks as one of Nikki Mitchells shows. It's funny because I listened to a lot of that music before I ever really started listening to traditional jazz and bebop so my playing kind of developed backwards as far as the "vocabulary" is concerned.

Hamid is definately a great role model in improvised music. He and Susie Ibarra are two great innovators in that realm. But even they might seem mainstream compared to some of the folks who are out there that we still haven't heard of.

Any young cats you know of following in Hamids footsteps?
Old 08-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Erik Lund

Young cats? I would say I was following in his footsteps (trying to!) but now that I'm in Los Angeles, that path has hit a snag, and now I'm doing more "mainstream" stuff... I played with Joe McPhee several times, who has played/recorded with Hamid.

I'm not sure how young his is, but have you heard Dylan van der Schyff? He is based in Vancouver, and his playing is quite extraordinary. Some really great ideas/sounds with a very deft touch. Probably not a young guy - I'd guess 40-ish...

I know a lot of young guys who think anything other than "straight-head" is junk - but not too many who are pushing the "out" stuff. I am sure they are out there, though. Actually - when I was in London, there were some really great young guys, now that I think about it. I bet most of the guys you're asking about are in Europe/Japan. The US drumming has been throwing nothing but "Groove/solid time" down everyone's throat...or at least, for the most part.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Erik Lund

Default Up

Listening to Painter's Spring right now, and it would behoove you all to do the same!

Hamid's the King, baby!
Old 09-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Erik Lund

Up

Until someone says something about him...
Old 09-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Pioneer Member

The guy is some of the best drummer i've seen. I saw him with William Parker in Switzerland 1 year ago, never heard such so much powerful improvisation, the guy was a mix of Elvin Jones and Art Blakey. It's pretty rare actually to find some really heavy chaotic great free-jazz.........that was some of the finest.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:31 PM

Hey Eric!

A quick Google search of Hamid gave me this:

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Hamid_Drake.html

I realize that Bernhard can give only a few samples of each artist. However, it's a good start.

In time, I hope to pick up what you recommend and give him a good listen. Thanks for giving this old guy some new players to listen to.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Erik Lund

Awesome. I love it here, now!

I'm really glad Bernhard has those tracks with Pharoah Sanders and Adam Rudolph. That was one of the first things I heard with Hamid on it - and if you can find the whole album - or iTunes - you really need to hear the whole thing - It's an amazing live show. Pharoah really turns it on in some of the other pieces.

On the video clip there:...Without trying to sound like a jerk (unavoidable but here it goes) I have never liked Irene Schweizer's playing, and while Fred Anderson sounds very impassioned there - Hamid seems to be trying to just hold it together - and I don't think it's a very good indication as to what he can do. He seemed to be "coasting" there. Not sure how many videos are out there with Hamid on them, so I guess I should shut up and be fortunate...
Old 09-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

Present for ya Erik........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlc5zFCbfGE

Enjoy!!
Old 09-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Erik Lund

UP

Joe McPhee/Hamid Drake - EMANCIPATION PROCLOMATION (get it)

Die Like A Dog - LITTLE BIRDS HAVE FAST HEARTS (get both vol 1/2)

William Parker - PAINTER'S SPRING

DKV Trio - Live @ Wels (2 Disc - Enjoy!)

Buy these F-in' albums!
Old 09-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Lund View Post
UP

Joe McPhee/Hamid Drake - EMANCIPATION PROCLOMATION (get it)

Die Like A Dog - LITTLE BIRDS HAVE FAST HEARTS (get both vol 1/2)

William Parker - PAINTER'S SPRING

DKV Trio - Live @ Wels (2 Disc - Enjoy!)

Buy these F-in' albums!
I actually just bought painter's spring and it really is opening my eyes a little in regards to jazz. Im really diggin it. Thanks for the suggestion. Im actually gonna be doing some pretty free stuff with a trombone player and saxaphone player tonight. Ill try to get some rough recordings up.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Erik Lund

Can't wait!

Glad you're digging Painter's Spring!!! Have you figured out some of those time signatures?
Also - track 5 - There is Balm In Gilead - Just a gorgeous solo bass piece. If you don't know the piece, check it out (maybe online?) and then hear Parker's rendition - it is stunningly beautiful in its own way.

I used to play some free stuff with sax/trombone years ago - I love the instrumentation. If they can both hang, I suggest "Afro Blue" as a cool piece to do.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Erik Lund

hey britt, any more thoughts on painter's spring? try "live in Wels & Chicago 1998" it's a double disc and HAMID is a revalation throuughout.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Lund View Post
hey britt, any more thoughts on painter's spring? try "live in Wels & Chicago 1998" it's a double disc and HAMID is a revalation throuughout.
I was listening to it and I started kind of thinking, so much of the charm it has to it is based on the fact thats its so different from the modern jazz of today in most ways simply because it is so raw and it has portions that are not really blemished per se, just unperfect, but with a sense of purpose and an inherit groove to it. I get the same feeling listening to Elvin and Roy Haynes some times. Its refreshing. It seems like so much of jazz really is being played at such a high level of "expertise" lets say the Wynton Marsalis type technique wizards who just dont mess up, its nice to hear something loose. Ill check out live in wels and chicago when I get some money.