DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-18-2007, 07:44 AM

Default familiar with rims mounts?

does anyone know if and how you can mount a 16x16 and a 16x18 floor tom on a rims mount? id be putting it on yamaha drums to go on a drum frame rack. thanks
Old 09-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: familiar with rims mounts?

Most cats that suspend those larger sizes suspend 16x14 and 18x14. Depending on the series of Yamaha drums, you might be asking the RIMS to hold too much weight. I had a set of Recording Customs, and I wouldn't try to hang an RC 16x16. RIMS does have suspension systems with legs for floor toms. When I was using a rack, I just ran my floor toms as floor toms and rack rail behind the floors held all my cymbals on that side.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfivetimes View Post
does anyone know if and how you can mount a 16x16 and a 16x18 floor tom on a rims mount? id be putting it on yamaha drums to go on a drum frame rack. thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Most cats that suspend those larger sizes suspend 16x14 and 18x14. Depending on the series of Yamaha drums, you might be asking the RIMS to hold too much weight. I had a set of Recording Customs, and I wouldn't try to hang an RC 16x16. RIMS does have suspension systems with legs for floor toms. When I was using a rack, I just ran my floor toms as floor toms and rack rail behind the floors held all my cymbals on that side.
I suspend those exact sizes with no problems. I have the older model RIMS mounts. Each full circle band has 2 mounting plates for mounting brackets. I use them both. I have another 16 with a single plate mount and have mounted that with no problem. I should mention that I am a hard/heavy player and have never had any slipping problems. I don't know if RIMS still makes the 'rack mount' bands for sizes that big. However, you could get the floor models and drill them or have them drilled for 2 mounting plates.

Good luck...
Old 09-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

Reread this thread: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...940#post358940

There is a pic of my kit showing the mounted floor toms.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:41 AM
Silver Member

JFT, here are some pics to help describe what I am talking about:

In the first 2 pics you see the 2 plate Rack mount RIMS. The red arrows show the mounting plates w/ tom mounts on them. Yes, obviously each drum would require 2 tom brackets as well as 2 clamps for the rack & 2 mounting arms each.
Name:  flr RIM.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  228.1 KBName:  top view.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  187.1 KB

Picture 3 & 4 show a full floor tom band with a broken leg mount.
Name:  flr.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  198.8 KBName:  flr 2.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  187.1 KB

Pictures 5 & 6 show a regular tom RIMS band. Again, the red arow shows the mounting bracket.
Name:  RIM.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  193.3 KBName:  RIM 2.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  197.7 KB

I don't know if these are still available, but they can be found. They can also be made. You could get a floor tom version and have mounting plates made or bought. Then drill the band for the plates. The bands are the same for both, one has the mounting plates & the other has a leg attachment.

Another option without RIMS: Get a couple of longer arms with l-rods attached. Hang from clamp on rack and put into backside leg brackets on floor tom. Use your leg with the front leg bracket.This method was used by several drummers using the Voelker/Falicon racks including Tommy Aldridge & Rod Morgenstein. I know they both attached their floors this way as shown here: Name:  Tommy Aldridge 2.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  140.7 KB

Hope this helps...

LVDC if you see this, I am SO embarrassed at the condition of these.....

Last edited by latzanimal; 09-19-2007 at 08:19 AM.