DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-15-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Drumset mutes?

I Just have a few questions about these "mutes" that you can put on your drums and cymbals to lower their sound

1. What company makes the best ones for drums, and which for cymbals?

2. Generally speaking, do the ones for drums have decent rebound? as much as most practice pads?

3. How much do they lower the sound of the drums/cymbals?
Old 09-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Drumset mutes?

Not positive of the company. The drop right in the rim of the drum and/or cover a portion of the cymbal.

They REALLY mute the sound. A lot.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:22 PM

Do you mean the plastic rings around the toms or an actual silencer set?

The rings didnt do much to my friends toms, just cut out a bit of resonance quite like moongel pads.

If you really want to cut the volume then get a silencer kit. Vic Firth do a rock size one with three cymbal pads for 40 ($60-70), however they have very little bounce and the cymbals make a horrible noise if you hit them too hard...
Old 09-17-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchaser View Post
Do you mean the plastic rings around the toms or an actual silencer set?

The rings didnt do much to my friends toms, just cut out a bit of resonance quite like moongel pads.

If you really want to cut the volume then get a silencer kit. Vic Firth do a rock size one with three cymbal pads for 40 ($60-70), however they have very little bounce and the cymbals make a horrible noise if you hit them too hard...
I am talking about the pads you put over your drums to lower the sound. Hmm thanks maybe I'll look at a different company than vic firth than.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Drums View Post
I Just have a few questions about these "mutes" that you can put on your drums and cymbals to lower their sound

1. What company makes the best ones for drums, and which for cymbals?

2. Generally speaking, do the ones for drums have decent rebound? as much as most practice pads?

3. How much do they lower the sound of the drums/cymbals?
1. I don't know. I have a Vic Firth set that works fine for the drums and the cymbals.

2. No, they do not. They have the rebound of say, a rug. They have nowhere near the rebound of a practice pad.

3. They lower the sound of the drums and cymbals immensely. This is their main purpose, to lower the volume of your drums. They are not designed to have rebound. If you must have rebound, I suggest you look into an electronic kit, that way you will have a lower volume and full rebound. The drum mutes cost about $500 less than a starter electronic kit and they don't take up any space, which are their advantages.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:20 AM
Silver Member

Yeah...these mutes are like a 1cm thick and are circular. Rest inside the rim, on top of the drum head. The cymbal mutes cover only a portion of the cymbal. But altogether, they silence the kit. It makes it like you're playing a practice pad kit.

Andy
Old 09-17-2007, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post
It makes it like you're playing a practice pad kit.

Andy
Well, not exactly b/c they don't have that kind of rebound.

Imagine if you put a throw pillow over each of your drums. It's sort of like that, aka your roommate could hear it in the next room if you are beating on your drums really hard, but it's nothing for the upstairs neighbors to call the cops over. There is a dead, thudding tonality that is almost amusical, so that you will have coordination practice without any real chance to work on your dynamics or highly complex stickings.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:41 AM

Well, as we're all talking about how "bad" the rebound is... The bad rebound is very good for building your chops. The rebound on pads like that aren't drawbacks unless you view them as drawbacks. If you play on the pads alot on the drums, when you take them off and actually play, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

I truly don't care for the silencers to begin with...but if I had to use them, it would be as close to a practice pad kit as I think it could get. Yes...the rebound sucks. Bad too. Like playing on a dead body.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Well, as we're all talking about how "bad" the rebound is... The bad rebound is very good for building your chops. The rebound on pads like that aren't drawbacks unless you view them as drawbacks. If you play on the pads alot on the drums, when you take them off and actually play, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Hmm I was thinking the same thing. It might actually be better that it has little rebound because I will strengthen my wrists etc. Than as you said when I take them off I'll be surprised. I think they are just what I need because I want to seriously start working on building my chops around the kit. Triplets, tom rolls, etc etc. But that is very annoying to listen to for my family so I'll invest in a set of these.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:29 PM

I have a set of the HQ Soundoff drum mutes on my practice kit, and they work very well. No, they do not give you the full rebound of a practice pad, but you are able to practice on real drums, and you DO hear some of the tone of the drums. I also don't find the rebound to be as bad as some others have said, but I'm not sure which brand they've used. I find that it makes me work a little harder, but for me that's fine, because then when I'm able to play without them, it's much easier to play the fills that may have seemed difficult playing on the mutes.

They say on the box that it cuts the sound by 90%. That may or may not be true, I haven't used a decibel meter to check, LOL. But I can tell you that what someone else said about hearing some dull thumping from next door is probably true. My neighbor has told me that she can hear me sometimes, but it's not at a disturbing level at all. If the they have their stereo or tv on, they don't hear me at all.

FYI - Soundoff pads are made by the same company that owns Evans. I bought the set of 4 drum mutes, 1 hi hat mute, 1 kick drum mute, and 2 cymbal mutes for about $50. I had to buy one more tom mute, and that was about $7 or $8 additional. One heck of a lot cheaper than electronic drums.

~~Sorry my dog humped your leg. He feels terrible about it.~~