DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-14-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Holz - Do they Make for a Better Sound?

i was just reading that when you have a Holz protector ring on your head, it makes it sound like a cannon.

i was just thinking could something like that actually have such an impact on the sound of the drum?

Old 09-14-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Holz - Do they Make for a Better Sound?

Where did you read that?

I have one and as far as I know it is purely for protecting the edge of the port hole from getting scuffed and torn. It also, in my opinion, looks cool!

Putting a holz on your bass drum does not make it sound like a cannon.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

I've been using the HOLZ port system for years, and there's really no magic there. It's a neat way to cut a port into your reso., and it will keep that hole from tearing. Ports allow sound guys to place mics. inside the kick (and a rolled up towel or whatever). As far as making your kick sound like a cannon, that's up to you, your drum, your tuning abilities, the sound engineer (if you're dealing with one) and/or the PA.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:15 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I've been using the HOLZ port system for years, and there's really no magic there. It's a neat way to cut a port into your reso., and it will keep that hole from tearing. Ports allow sound guys to place mics. inside the kick (and a rolled up towel or whatever). As far as making your kick sound like a cannon, that's up to you, your drum, your tuning abilities, the sound engineer (if you're dealing with one) and/or the PA.
How does the Holz system work? I've always used the Aquarian stick on templates, but I've never been able to cut around it neat enough.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:19 AM
Silver Member

There are two adhesive-backed rings that snap together. You glop the first one where you want the hole, and it acts as a template for the cut. It was a lot easier than I'd have thought, keep the flat of a knife pressed against the ring, and push it all the way around. I do keep knives very sharp, YMMV. PRotip: you will need to "lean" the knife inward, creating a bigger hole than if you cut with the knife vertical. Otherwise, the head interferes with the inner ring, which will never snap together.

Pro: ease of use, very rugged, looks snappy.

Cons: I can't believe that having that thing hanging from the front head doesn't dampen it a bit. If you are a "no muffling, never" kind of guy, it might bother you. If you are a "keep a load of laundry in the kick" guy, you'll never notice.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
If you are a "no muffling, never" kind of guy, it might bother you. If you are a "keep a load of laundry in the kick" guy, you'll never notice.
Lol. I also agree they add nothing to the sound. I've used both the Aquarian and the Holz and I prefer the Aquarian because I think it looks better, no other reasons.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurders View Post
Where did you read that?
its on the Holz website, i was lookin at gettin some and it came up with a link to their history and it says it all in there. so that got me a bit curious

Old 10-05-2007, 05:38 PM

If your bass resohead doesnt come with a port, I know of easy way to make a clean and perfectly round hole.

Take a tin can of the size you want your reso head hole to be. Then put the can on your stove to heat up one of the can's rim. Once the can is hot enough, place the can on the reso head where you want the hole and it will just melt a perfectly round hole.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Pioneer Member

What a bunch of BS. Yes, and the initials logo on my BD res head makes me play faster. They protect the head, that's it.

Last edited by T.Underhill; 10-19-2007 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Holz Black 4" Sound Hole Reinforcement
Fits around sound hole in front bass drum head, to reinforce it,
keep it from splitting. from a sales website....

From their website....

Zay got the gig in spite of the damaged drum head. He used his inspiration to create the system that repaired the drum head, and improved the sound astonishingly well-creating a "canon" sound effect, rather than the more usual "bouncing basketball" effect that is more commonly heard. This special fuller sound is created by the independent vibration of both drum heads while the sound waves seek and find the path of least resistance: The Holz hole in the drumhead.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

I have the 4" Holz. I like it because it total protection for the head, looks good, and does'nt really affect the sound that much.

I was a 'no hole' guy for a long time--even with bigger bass drums, but a couple years ago I started using the 4" Holz, and I like the sound pretty much as without a hole.