DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 09-14-2007, 07:54 AM

Default double bass pedal help?

hello again all,

my past thread lead me to a new thread. if you havet read my other one check it out.

so now the question is what pedal can i get the most out of but pay no more the $150 - $200 for?

i play mostly Hard Rock, Alternative Metal, etc...

any suggestions?
please dont tell me what you heard, i want to hear your own actual experiance. i dont make a lot of money so spending this kind of $$$ is a big deal for me.

thanks,
filkvoe
Old 09-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: double bass pedal help?

You really need to get your feet into a drum store or two and try out every pedal you can. Unfortunately, the top-of-the-line pedals are mostly over $200, for double-pedals. If you shop used (like eBay), then you can score better deals. I played the DW 5000 for quite a few years. Bought it off a drummer bud for $150, sold it several years later on eBay for $150.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Big_Philly

Tama Iron Cobra Junior (HP200), or a Pearl Powershifter. I have both. Fantastic pedals for the price and you're probably gonna spend less than $150 on it. The IC junior costs about 80 euros if I remember correctly... the powershifter is in a similar price range.

Let us know which way you go.

EDIT: Unless you want a double pedal (sorry, I forgot about the thread title), then I'm not sure if they will be under 150-200 dollars. I paid 200 euros for the powershifter twin, with a small discount. The twin versions of both cost about 220 euros here in the Netherlands, not sure what they cost over there but I'm sure you can figure that out by yourself ;)

So the best thing to do is probably to buy a used pedal.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:21 PM
Pioneer Member

Here's my philosophy your BD pedal is probably the most used item on your kit but allot of times one of the most skimped on pieces of equipment. Like was mentioned above for that kind of money I'd look on E-bay for a DW5000, Pearl Eliminator, Tama IC, Yamaha. All these are excellent pedals pedals. A quality pedal will last longer and feel better hopefully inspiring you to play more. If you must buy new I would suggest continuing to save until you can get something of the quality listed above.

As far as the best for you, only you can determine that by sitting down and testing them out yourself.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

Almost every drum manufacturer has a line of pedals (probably made by "whoever" and labeled as their own) that can accomodate the finances of the less-fortunate...which is most of us.

I played a Sonor, single-chain, double pedal for years. It worked fine and only cost about $200, new from GC. Gibralter used ot have a couple pedals that were quality grade and didn't cost that much. Don't know if that still exists...but I would go and check your local music palace...not to buy, but to test....and then look online.

Andy
Old 09-16-2007, 05:51 AM

Check out the Vex pedals. I ordered my set tonight. I have read some positive feed back on this post. I'm looking forward to getting these.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:19 AM
Silver Member

I bought a set of the Vex's as well for my ekit, based on the review here. After they were on their way here, I Googled up some extremely unfavorable reviews, talking about stuff breaking. So far, they are OK for $100, basically the same as the big brands' entry pedals (ie limited adjustment) but with double chains. I can't get the slop out of the slave pedal without setting the tension uncomfortably high, but it really doesn't affect performance, other than being a little distracting. The finish on the linkage joints looks cheap, I'll learn how they hold up.

Minor gripes: they weigh a ton, there's no bag, and they were set up unplayable out of the box.

If the linkage goes (which is what the complaints are about) I'll still have two cheap singles for back-up. Not the end of the world.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:03 AM

2 words...

BIG...
DOG...
Old 10-02-2007, 04:49 AM

I recently picked up the Pearl Powershifter Elims brand new on eBay for $235....slightly over your budget, but it also included all 4 cams and a case. Incredible pedals, and so infinitely adjustable that if you can't find a comfortable feel, you shouldn't be using a double pedal. LOL. Honestly, there are deals out there if you have the time and patience to wait for them to come along.

BUT....I agree with getting to a drum shop and trying them out first. Everyone has different likes and dislikes, which is why there are so many choices.

~~Sorry my dog humped your leg. He feels terrible about it.~~
Old 10-02-2007, 03:08 PM

Check this out, a great deal for a Tama Iron Cobra.
http://cgi.ebay.com/TAMA-IRON-COBRA-...QQcmdZViewItem

Or this ,a brand new pearl eliminator for only $250.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PEARL-ELIMINATOR...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Administrator

www.vexdrums.com Double pedal, 99.00 shipped. and yes I have one. at least go and look at it.