DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 09-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Silver Member

Default A work in progress.

...Hola dot Comrades.

so, what do you do with a pile of parts from an el-cheapo snare drum and some recycled wrap from a 12" tom?

I found a Traxx snare drum (looks like a DDrum, must have come from the same factory) 12x5.5 for a rediculous price, so I bought it. I bought it mainly because it came wit a pair of 12" die cast snare hoops that I wanted for another project that never did get finished. I did however use the lug nuts, so the drum wwas stripped, then shelved and forgotten.

I am going through gear withdrawl, so rather than going out and buying something that I do not need, I decided to go through my rat pile and see if I could put together something with what I already had.

I managed to scrounge together the needed parts, but I did not want to just slap it back together, as that is no fun. I had some vintage white marine pearl wrap from a 12x8" tom that I had effed up, so on went the light bulb.

I had bought this wrap to recover a 12x8" DW tom, but I screwed it up by doing a rush job, and I never was happy with it. As you can see, the holes do not match up very well, so I do have to do some drilling. I am going to have to trim this to fitand I also have to be sure to have the wrap fit tight on the shell.

When I bought this snare, it sounded pretty crappy. When I finish it, it will still probably sound pretty crappy. I am doing this more as a way of using up a bunch-0-junk that would otherwise sit in a tub untill it gets tossed out.

I will update this as it progresses.

Barry
Old 09-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: A work in progress.

Hows ya gettin on, me young cocky! This should keep you away from going drum- shopping for a few months! ; )
Old 09-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

...Sat Sree Akall Aydee.

I will probably have this thing done before the weekend. This is one of those things that I am not too worried about screwing up. When I am finished, I am hoping that it will sound better than it probably will.

How are things in your part of the world?

barry
Old 09-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

I love the recycling job brother. I argee, why toss when you can use???? :D

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 09-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

...finished.

I had to change a few things around on this to finish it off. I used the original lug nuts on a piccolo snare, so I had to scrounge around to find new ones. I had a pile of the DW true pitch nuts and rods, so I used them. They are longer than the originals so I had to scrap the gaskets that came with these lugs in order to line up the rods with the holes on the hoops, otherwise the hoops would not fit.

I have not had a chance to smack this thing around as I finished it too late in the evening to give it a test drive.

Also, when I put this thing back together, I never intended it to be anything more than a crappy snare witjh a crappy wrap job. It is not art, it is not something that I built. It is a bunch of parts that came together on a shell rather than a pile of junk sitting on a shelf. If I end up needing any of these parts for something more usefull, it will turn back into a pile of junk sitting on a shelf unless it really "WOWS" me with its sound.

It has inspired mr though and I will be rooting through my rat piles in search of more recycle projects that I will photograph and post for your amusement.

Barry
Old 09-14-2007, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

Holy Catfish, Barry !!!!!!! that was quick... and looks great! what size is that drum? also, let us know what happens when you hit it! ; )
Old 09-14-2007, 05:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Holy Catfish, Barry !!!!!!! that was quick... and looks great! what size is that drum? also, let us know what happens when you hit it! ; )
...ke hal ha (spelling ?) my Friend.

This snare is 12x5.5" and it had a natural maple laquer finish. I bought it at Mothers Music in Edmonton about a year or so ago. They had a bunch of different sized snares that they brought in on some promotion from Traxx. This little monster cost less than $50.00 Canadian brand new. I had gone in there looking for a pair of 12" die cast hoops for a tom so when I saw the snare I bought it instead as it had die cast hoops, and cost almost half of what the hoops alone would have run me.

I used the lug nuts from this snare, plus another 8 that I scrounged from somewhere to replace the lug nuts on a 14x4" DW brass piccolo snare that I had used on that 20x16" bass drum on my franken kit.

It's hard to keep track of all of the parts and pieces that I have used on my drums. I still find things that I have no idea where they came from. Maybe this stuff reproduces itself and mutates?

Barry