DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-11-2007, 07:52 AM

Default any remote hi hat players here?

just wondering if anybody can give me the pros and cons of whatever remote hi hat they use. im thinking of getting one and i dont have access to try too many so i thought id see what you guys have to say. im particularly interested in your thoughts on the feel and action of whatever model you use along with any down sides as well so i can try to make an informed decision and not just buy it according to a marketing scheme. thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: any remote hi hat players here?

I use a Pearl Eliminator remote hat so I can position it in the center of my kit.
Feels good to me, very smooth and accurate. I also like that you can remove the legs from the pedal and have a VERY small footprint.
I recommend it.

Also have a Peace cable hat for a backup, and I find it a little slower/more sluggish and not constructed quite as heavy-duty as the Pearl.

I hear good things about the DW model remote hats.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:10 PM

I played a DW9000 remote hat system for a while, but ended up selling it to another Drummerworld member.

I had the model with the 8-foot cable, and it made for some cool positioning possibilities around the kit. I found the system to be very responsive, and almost as solid as a standard hat stand.

The DW9000 remote had a good feel. You could adjust the tension just like a standard hat stand, and the only difference, at least to me, was a slightly slower opening speed, but not enough to be an issue.

The fact of the matter is that I just did not use it as much as I thought I would, and it was a pain to schlep around to gigs.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:17 PM
fourstringdrums

I used to use a remote hi-hat as a main hi-hat because I was playing a setup where I reversed my hi-hat pedal and bass drum (played left) but kept everything set up right handed. I used a DW 5000 and a Pearl Eliminator. I found the Eliminator to be smoother and more natural feeling but ultimately the feel was stiffer and not as responsive as a regular hi-hat.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 PM

I just got the Eliminator remote hat, but it feels really stiff. Difference to my Eliminator bass drum pedals is like night and day. I can even feel some slight friction in the cable. Can't believe these could be called pro equipment. Is this normal? I mean are all remote hats very heavy or could mine be defective?