DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 09-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Default Photos of Istanbul Agop cymbals I use:

Here's a collection of images of the entire Agop selection I use and happily endorse officially. Decided to make a thread to put the pics altogether in one place.

First up a group pic from left to right of the 22" Jazz Turk Ride {2250 grams}, 21 SE Jazz Ride {2325grams},18" Mel Lewis 1982 Crash Ride {1400 grams} and 14" pair of Agop Signature High Hats {top-1025 grams bottom-1200 grams}
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 09-10-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Photos of Istanbul Agop cymbals I use:

Next up some individual pics of the 21" SE and 18" Mel Lewis
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-10-2007, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

Next up some other additions added later on.

Front and back pics of a 22" SE TW {2235 grams}
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Front and back pics of 22" Collector's Series Limited Edition 06 Ride {2385 grams} #027
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Front shot of 20.5" 25th Anniversary Ride {1864 grams} #268
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-10-2007, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

Last but not least my 14" Sultan crash {740 grams}
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

And to put it all together here's a pic of me and my natural maple finish Canadian made Canwood drums i've owned and played since 1983, totally killer sounding drums!. Yes that is a 7x14" Canwood maple shell snare drum. Best snare i've ever owned or played bar none. Also seen with the Canwoods is a good variety of my various Agops i've pictured individually that i'm using on gigs,recordings and sessions from now on.
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-10-2007, 02:07 PM

how's the Tony Williams ride i'm think of getting it
Old 09-10-2007, 04:26 PM
KARL MEMBER

Stan. I can`t get enough of those. I love your collection of Agops and I`m happy for you that you`ve the opportunity to be an official endorser. Really lovely cymbals! (so is your drumming)

btw, I`m gonna get this 22" Agop SE Ride 2188g...the bell of your 21" seems to be very small in comparison to the Mel Lewis etc...what do you think, are those rather small?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Four thousand miles is a long way to travel to steal all that. Beautiful.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, But If you and me both go, MFB, we can split the costs of the plane ticket and you can hide in my Suitcase.....

Mmmm.....Cymbals...

I love handmade Turkish Cymbals, there is no comparison...

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 09-10-2007, 04:58 PM

Hey! That looks like my 22" Turk Reg Ride 2703g. Teehee... These rides have an incredible fundamental tone. I have 14" Turk hats that I use with this spectacular ride. The hats are as smooth as glass and can cut through anything. However, they are not that heavy and the variance between the top and bottom hats are not that great, giving the hats incredible mid range voice. Ahmazing cymbals!
Old 09-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

First off thanks guys for your fellow appreciation of the quality of Agop cymbals. To me Istanbul Agop are the best thing going for the great sound and character they produce using old world production techniques and methods.

caprisun3484 this 22" SE TW is one of the odd light ones Agop produced at 2235 grams. Most are around 2600 grams for classic TW sound. I tested this lightweight version and fell in love with it's deep controlled wash and airy woody stick thing on top. Nice for acoustic jazz in particular. Think of it as a sweeter deeper and darker in wash more controlled sounding version of a Zildjian 22" K custom dry complex ride thin which is the best way I can descibe it's character. If your looking for more of the classic TW sound search out one in the 2600 gram range. The light one is certainly not the TW Nefertiti sound but I love the character of it all the same for what I wanted.

Karl thanks again for the kind comments.The bell on the lightweight 22" SE TW is quite nice. It's clear and has a good useable sound. Looking forward to the reports on your 22" SE after it arrives.

Mediocrefunkybeat and fijjibo anytime you come to Vancouver,Canada your welcome to come by for a visit to check them out further. Yes nothing compares to the quality of hand crafted Turkish cymbals agreed.

dea this is the light version of a regular Turk what Agop call a Turk Jazz Ride. I've got an old pre-split Istanbul 20" Medium Turk at 2535 grams that has a killer stick and bell sound. This Agop light 22" Turk at 2250 grams has more of a darker wash but the dark stick sound is still very on top just as you get with the heavier Turk rides but just not as aggressive sounding as the heavier models. Nicely suited for acoustic jazz is the 22" Turk Jazz Ride.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 09-10-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

dea here's a pic of my old pre-split 20" Turk Medium Ride and 22" Jazz Turk side by side. Note the factory slip on the Sultan stamp this 22" Turk Jazz Ride recieved.

By the way dea I saw Dennis Chambers around 1989 playing a pre-split Istanbul 22" Turk Reg ride similar to your current Agop version at a concert with Mike Stern and it TOTALLY killed in this electric jazz situation. Better than any ride i've heard him play since in concert IMO.
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-11-2007, 12:17 AM

Look great. What are the kit sizes?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member

Here's a pic i'll add to this collection of all my Agop photos in one thread.

I came up with a simple design of a 9 ball chain sitting near the last few inches at the edge of a cymbal attached to some old silver neck chains I had in my collection of odds and sods lying around. All that was needed was some very small connecting rings a larger main ring for the cymbal stand top and a couple of small tools to put it all together. The bail chain material is coated brass and is dirt cheap $1.50 for 2 ft at the local hardware chain store and is very easy to cut to any desired length with a pair of small metal cutters. MUCH MORE effective than a full length chain IMO which dampens the cymbal to much overall from my experience. The smaller amount of balls on a light weight chain sizzles MUCH longer after being struck with a mallet of stick and does not choke the cymbals sound and vibration very much when playing a ride pattern. Excellent mock rivet sound.

Anyone considering adding a sound as close to a single rivet but not interested in drilling holes in their treasures {like me!} and also having the option of a "clean" sound at times should try this route. Personally i'm very pleased with the results. Have made four 9 ball/ silver neck chain combos in total now for different size cymbals in my Agop family.

This is a pic of my Agop 06 with the custom made ball chain:
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the skin man View Post
Look great. What are the kit sizes?
Thanks skin man. Canwood drums are one of the "best kept secrets" in my neck of the woods that were made here in Canada by a gentleman by the name of Fred Pepper for a number of years during the 80's. Fred was known as a real drum making perfectionist and his instruments are a testament to that. You will rarely find any owner of his drums parting with them. Rock maple shells,very sharp bearing edges and NO sounds holes being very warm in character, fully resonant and loud and cutting if desired is the basic rundown on them.

Here's the sizes:

10x12" Tom
11x13" Tom
14x14" floor tom
16x16" floor tom
16x22" bass drum
7x14" snare drum

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-11-2007, 01:03 AM

Wow, classy cymbals. I would love to have a set of those! Not a huge fan of five piece kits, but I otherwise love your setup!
Old 09-11-2007, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytridy View Post
Wow, classy cymbals. I would love to have a set of those! Not a huge fan of five piece kits, but I otherwise love your setup!
That's my recording/studio setup,great drums!. For gigs I have a very old set of Orange drums made in France in the early sixties made out of African teak a 14x14" floor tom and 8x12" tom and a 14x18" bass drum. Completing the set is a customized snare drum which was made by Canadian jazz drum legend Claude Ranger,his personal snare used for many years on recordings and concerts. This was made out of a cut down maple Camco tom shell into a 5 1/2x13" snare shell with all stainless steel over brass 1958 Gretch hardware and vintage Ludwig snare strands.

Both kits are amazing and have been played for more years than I can count at the moment. Nothing i've heard in the current market can replicate what these old drums can do for me in a jazz setting. The Agops are a perfect compliment to both sets.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 09-11-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
btw the bell of your 21" seems to be very small in comparison to the Mel Lewis etc...what do you think, are those rather small?

Karl
Sorry Karl I missed the reference to your question on the 21" SE and responded to the 22" SE TW.

This 21" SE I believe is a bit of an oddball. First off it is very rare to find at 21" SE at this weight especially at 2325 grams when all the regular run SE rides are much lighter and even though the lathing is correct for an SE top and bottom it seems more related to the very first prototype sample 22" SE TW's like you see here with the SE top and bottom lathing:

http://www.torngat.ca/Cymbales/home.htm

Looking at the pics of the early prototype 22" TW's on this link and comparing them visually to my 21" SE has me thinking it is somehow very closely related to them in design and weight. At the time I tested it Noel at Heartbeat Percussion the Agop man in Canada was very surprised with the very strong woody stick on this one and the very clear but smaller bell. We found it hiding in a back of of stack of cymbals and my pulse immediately went up even before laying a stick on it when I felt it's weight. When I heard it was sold in a instant after the first stick stroke. Whatever it's true story of design it's a real keeper Karl and a great ride for a BigBand and such. By the way the lightweight 22" SE TW was sitting alone too after all the heavier ones had all been sold over the last few years by the Canadian Agop distributor. Like the odd looking puppy left over after the pick of the litter had all gone to good homes there it sat left behind looking for a home. Well it finally found a new home,mine!. Having read all about these oddball early lightweight 22" SE TW's on cymbalholic I jumped on it in a heartbeat {Sorry bad pun Noel!}. This a killer light SE TW Jazz Ride with all the qualties I was looking for in a classic lightweight old Turkish K 22" ride for mere pennies compared to the $2600 US price tag of the vintage old 22" K I mentioned in the cymbals section that sold recently and this one has no damage or cracks etc... being brand new and sounding great based on all the qualities you would expect in a old world Turkish production cymbal. This may have well been the very last of the early light version TW's available. Oh happy day Karl on both my SE Jazz Rides rides believe me.

Long winded bell answer Karl but thought you might find some of the background info i've uncovered on these two SE rides very interesting.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 09-11-2007 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:37 PM

Steamer,

I'm Drooooling!! They just look AWSOME as does your kit!!

thanks for sharing.

75sling
Old 09-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks 75sling. Old and new friends together in a happy family.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-11-2007, 08:02 PM
KARL MEMBER

Thanks for the info about the bell and that.
I`m looking forward to the 22" SE more and more.....

First I was thinking about getting a TW Ride but then again I liked the wash and overall character of the "normal" SE more.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info about the bell and that.
I`m looking forward to the 22" SE more and more.....

First I was thinking about getting a TW Ride but then again I liked the wash and overall character of the "normal" SE more.

Karl
Well there's something special and unique in regards to the Agop SE rides period Karl IMO either a reg SE or the TW model. Just a matter of finding the right one {or two in my case} and weight that suit your playing concept. A med. weight 21" SE and a light 22" SE TW is a perfect combo for me.

Your light 22" SE should do a nice job too Karl.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

And yes Karl it's the airy quality of the woody stick combined with a dark controlled wash that's really delicious about the Agop SE rides.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-15-2007, 03:38 PM
KARL MEMBER

Yes, definitly beautiful ride cymbals. Those SE combine many characteristics I like and I`d personally "lay" into a ride cymbal.
The last thing would be to have a dry and complex sounding component...like this Agop turk: http://www.cymbalsonly.com/cymbals/a.../20kj1868p.mp3

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, definitly beautiful ride cymbals. Those SE combine many characteristics I like and I`d personally "lay" into a ride cymbal.
The last thing would be to have a dry and complex sounding component...like this Agop turk: http://www.cymbalsonly.com/cymbals/a.../20kj1868p.mp3

Karl

Karl my 22" Turk Jazz Ride may turn out to be the real "sleeper" in my ride collection and that's saying something around some pretty steep competition in my collection. Something truly amazing about the quality of the pronounced dark stick sound with a big dark open wash/spread on that 22" Turk Jazz Ride not heard on many other ride cymbals IMO and the crash sound is outstanding.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

Used my 22" SE TW on a quintet gig tonight and man did it sound good in this room with dry stage sound. Fantastic stick sound and dark wash with a very old Turkish K lightweight ride vibe tonight. The tenor sax player looked over after the first tune and said I just love the sound of that cymbal. No overly pronounced singular one dimensional tone but a big rich dark cushion and wash of sound for me to play off were his comments. The bass player just looked at it and pointing at it giving his approval at the end of the first set. I agree it's a dandy jazz ride indeed.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-25-2007, 04:45 AM
Platinum Member

Finally have a couple of better front and backs pics of my Agop 22" Turk Jazz Ride at 2250 grams. A true sleaper this cymbal sure turned out to be and a personal favorite of a couple of piano players I work with. Amazing dark woody stick over a big lovely dark spread/wash with a very good crash sound too. Sounds great for jazz situations both live and in the studio,a real keeper!. Note again the wrong Sultan ink stamp on it. A true original and a one of a kind in more ways than one.

The second pic really captured the multi colors and it's wild surface under bright sunlight of the underside of this Turk Jazz Ride. Looks like the surface of some crazy small planet in the outer solar system under this light.
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-23-2007, 02:45 AM
Platinum Member

Latest hand hammered gem added to my mighty arsenal of Istanbul Agop rides. 21" Agop Mel Lewis ride at 2180 grams with 2 rivets. Front and back shots:
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-24-2007, 02:44 AM
Silver Member

woah, what amazing cymbals. Lucky man :p

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 10-24-2007, 04:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkdrummer1 View Post
woah, what amazing cymbals. Lucky man :p
It's been a long road and many dues have been paid to get to this point punkdrummer of having this nice hand made cymbal selection. I wish everyone out there to have the collection of cymbals that inspire them and that they truly desire to play regardless of brand.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-24-2007, 05:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
And to put it all together here's a pic of me and my natural maple finish Canadian made Canwood drums i've owned and played since 1983, totally killer sounding drums!. Yes that is a 7x14" Canwood maple shell snare drum. Best snare i've ever owned or played bar none. Also seen with the Canwoods is a good variety of my various Agops i've pictured individually that i'm using on gigs,recordings and sessions from now on.
Great drums, Stan... I love that snare. Does Jeff Ballard play the same kit?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Great drums, Stan... I love that snare. Does Jeff Ballard play the same kit?

Gee I don't know aydee and that's a good question {?}. They certainly have served we very well as wonderful jazz drums for a very long time and yes the 7x14" Canwood rock maple snare is pretty special sounding indeed and thanks.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-24-2007, 05:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Gee I don't know aydee and that's a good question {?}. They certainly have served we very well as wonderful jazz drums for a very long time and yes the 7x14" Canwood rock maple snare is pretty special sounding indeed and thanks.
I thought he did. Saw him once with a kit that looked just like yours ( those lugs are pretty distinctive). Sounded great too.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I thought he did. Saw him once with a kit that looked just like yours ( those lugs are pretty distinctive). Sounded great too.
Yes those lugs used on the Canwoods are a one of a kind aydee. I know that for a fact because I tried to find a replacement one that was a exact match with no luck. Couldn't even get one from old parts from Fred at Canwood for that period in time drums since he had none left. Ending up finding one with the right hole layout and it's on the bottom of my extra Canwood 16"x18" natural Maple finish bass drum not pictured in the photo so none would be the wiser on seeing the difference.

If it turns out that Jeff plays old Canwoods that would not surprise me since they are very warm and beautiful sounding jazz instruments.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-24-2007, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member

Do these look like Canwoods to you ? These are not the ones I saw him play ( They were actually your finish ), but similar..I cant really tell

Name:  jeff_ballard_.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  35.7 KB
Old 10-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Do these look like Canwoods to you ? These are not the ones I saw him play ( They were actually your finish ), but similar..I cant really tell
I don't think so aydee. The lugs look a wee bit different to mine and i'm not sure those are maple shells which is all that Fred used. They look like something a little more exotic like some kind of hardwood or something else along those lines.

I just double checked the lugs on my Canwoods although similar they are not an exact match to the ones on the posted pic aydee.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-24-2007, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

Is the company still around? Was big in the 90s, it seems.

I tried looking it up .. no website. Incredible reviews though, by everyone who's ever played them.

Heres a quote from the Pearl forum;

( Originally Posted by bighairbigdrums
I know this is the Ayotte (kick@*** drums btw) thread, but does anybody remember Canwood drums. Local store had a set in the 90's they were awesome. But I havent seen any since and I tried google and got nothing.
)

I'd love to try that snare out. I have a feeling I'm going to love it.

Any chance of finding one around NYC? Dont want to go the Ebay route.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Is the company still around? Was big in the 90s, it seems.

I tried looking it up .. no website. Incredible reviews though, by everyone who's ever played them.

Heres a quote from the Pearl forum;

( Originally Posted by bighairbigdrums
I know this is the Ayotte (kick@*** drums btw) thread, but does anybody remember Canwood drums. Local store had a set in the 90's they were awesome. But I havent seen any since and I tried google and got nothing.
)

I'd love to try that snare out. I have a feeling I'm going to love it.

Any chance of finding one around NYC? Dont want to go the Ebay route.

Yes the company is still around sort of. Fred and his son run a sound system/audio company for the most part now and he only has the odd old drum and parts left from the glory years:

http://www.canwoodproaudio.bravehost.com/crew.html

The glory years I made reference to for Canwood were the 80's and early 90's when Fred made some truly superb kits. He custom made mine and delivered them in person on a visit to the Westcoast way back in 83 in his truck. Amazing when I think back. And yes these Canwoods have and continue to blow the doors off any Ayotte kits i've played or heard period over many years. If you ever get Fred on the phone he'll be glad to point that out and his reasons why in detail. He still does not hold back what he thinks of most modern drums sound wise by the way.

Keep your eyes out since several kits are out there and do pop up for sale from time to time even in NY i'm sure.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan