DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 09-08-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Led Zeppelin Reunion???

"Dancing days are here again, because the three surviving members of Led Zeppelin are finally getting back together! Yep, hard rock fans still dazed and confused by recent news of the long-delayed Van Halen reunion have even more reason to celebrate, now that this even longer-delayed reunion is reportedly in the works. Incredibly, according to NME.com, frontman Robert Plant is in talks this week with fellow Led Zep legends Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones about a Zeppelin tour that'll hopefully kick off in London this November. Presumably late drummer John Bonham's son, Jason Bonham (last seen banging skins for celebreality band Damnocracy on VH1's Supergroup), will fill in behind the drumkit for the Zep trek; since Damnocracy mouthpiece Sebastian Bach is busy trying to launch a hip-hop career on MTV's Celebrity Rap Superstars (more on that HERE), we're guessing Damnocracy are on indefinite hiatus and Jason will therefore thankfully be free..."

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/tha...-taxeszeppelin
Old 09-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Gold Member

Default Led Zeppelin Reunion - definate this time!

According to NME.com, Led Zeppelin will be reuniting for a performance at the 02 Arena in London England on November 26th, 2007. Talks of a reunion tour have also been mentioned. Read more below

Led Zeppelin Reunion

Yahoo Music News reads as follows:

OK, moving on to happier stories, such as...dancing days are here again, because the three surviving members of Led Zeppelin are finally getting back together! Yep, hard rock fans still dazed and confused by recent news of the long-delayed Van Halen reunion have even more reason to celebrate, now that this even longer-delayed reunion is reportedly in the works. Incredibly, according to NME.com, frontman Robert Plant is in talks this week with fellow Led Zep legends Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones about a Zeppelin tour that'll hopefully kick off in London this November. Presumably late drummer John Bonham's son, Jason Bonham (last seen banging skins for celebreality band Damnocracy on VH1's Supergroup), will fill in behind the drumkit for the Zep trek; since Damnocracy mouthpiece Sebastian Bach is busy trying to launch a hip-hop career on MTV's Celebrity Rap Superstars (more on that HERE), we're guessing Damnocracy are on indefinite hiatus and Jason will therefore thankfully be free...

----------------
Now playing: Led Zeppelin - That's the Way
via FoxyTunes
Old 09-08-2007, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Led Zeppelin Reunion???

Man, I really hope that if they do tour, that they will come to montreal, it will be awesome!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:48 AM

The article said one gig, not a tour.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryukyu View Post
The article said one gig, not a tour.
frontman Robert Plant is in talks this week with fellow Led Zep legends Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones about a Zeppelin tour that'll hopefully kick off in London this November.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:24 AM

Awesome!! I saw Zep live at least 3 times in the early 70's, and it was an incredible stage performance! Now if I could just stop buying more drum gear and save a few bucks.......LOL.

~~Sorry my dog humped your leg. He feels terrible about it.~~
Old 09-09-2007, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

I'm not sure what I think of that. On one hand, this is far-and-away my most favorite rock band, ever. I'm too young to have seen them live (born in '78) or to even have grown up on them while they were still together. But, when I heard Kashmir for the first time when I was about 10 or so...I was hooked.

On the other hand, how good will the performances be? They're getting really old and some of these aging rock stars don't have what they once did...the Stones come to mind. This is my opinion, naturally, but I almost feel bad for them when I see them struttin' around on stage, doing the same act they did in their heyday.

As for Zep, even if Bonham had survived, I would have been saddened to see the band suffer the fate of the 80's like a lot of other great bands did. I'm glad they didn't make music in that era.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:23 AM
Pioneer Member

This is strange since Plant said many times that there would never be a Zep reunion since there is not a drummer around that could replace John. Must have changed his mind.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur drummer View Post
This is strange since Plant said many times that there would never be a Zep reunion since there is not a drummer around that could replace John. Must have changed his mind.

It's the WHole Lotta Ca$h Tour
Old 09-09-2007, 06:33 AM

I don't believe it. I got tricked a couple times a while back with pretty much this exact same rumor. I really doubt it's going to happen.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:58 PM
nhzoso

Default Re: Led Zeppelin Reunion - definate this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp 9091 View Post
According to NME.com, Led Zeppelin will be reuniting for a performance at the 02 Arena in London England on November 26th, 2007. Talks of a reunion tour have also been mentioned. Read more below

Led Zeppelin Reunion

Yahoo Music News reads as follows:

OK, moving on to happier stories, such as...dancing days are here again, because the three surviving members of Led Zeppelin are finally getting back together! Yep, hard rock fans still dazed and confused by recent news of the long-delayed Van Halen reunion have even more reason to celebrate, now that this even longer-delayed reunion is reportedly in the works. Incredibly, according to NME.com, frontman Robert Plant is in talks this week with fellow Led Zep legends Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones about a Zeppelin tour that'll hopefully kick off in London this November. Presumably late drummer John Bonham's son, Jason Bonham (last seen banging skins for celebreality band Damnocracy on VH1's Supergroup), will fill in behind the drumkit for the Zep trek; since Damnocracy mouthpiece Sebastian Bach is busy trying to launch a hip-hop career on MTV's Celebrity Rap Superstars (more on that HERE), we're guessing Damnocracy are on indefinite hiatus and Jason will therefore thankfully be free...

----------------
Now playing: Led Zeppelin - That's the Way
via FoxyTunes
Now thats one reunion concert I will pay hundreds of dollars to see...Oh how I hope this happens....
Old 09-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
I don't believe it. I got tricked a couple times a while back with pretty much this exact same rumor. I really doubt it's going to happen.

yeah, the rumor is about as old a Jason Bonham, and maybe he is the one spreading it. But I always figured it would happen when these guys were at the age where they have one last chance to re-live past glories. I am looking forward to it but could imagine it will be quite pricey.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

this kind of makes me sad.. i read zepps biography and they said since 1980 they declared they wouldnt play another tour together.. of course the atlantic records 40th anneversary thang in 1980 is an exception but a tour.. eh.. also robert plants voice lost something when they stopped.. he just doesnt have the UMPH anymore. =( still one of my favorite bands of all time
Old 09-09-2007, 06:42 PM
michael drums

WOW!!

HUUUUGE news, here!! Even bigger than the Van Halen reunion, I'd say! ;-)

Though...Jason Bonham is drumming for Foreigner!

I guess he would take a break from them for a Zep Tour/album, huh? ;-)

Play On!
Old 09-09-2007, 06:49 PM
michael drums

YEAH!!!

But will Jason Bonham leave Foreigner for a Zep reunion?

Yes...I HOPE!!

...Play On! ;-)
Old 09-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Pioneer Member

grohl would be amazing with them,,,,

...it would be such a hard gig for the drummer....big, big shoes to fill
Old 09-09-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
As for Zep, even if Bonham had survived, I would have been saddened to see the band suffer the fate of the 80's like a lot of other great bands did. I'm glad they didn't make music in that era.
When Zeppelin crashed, music died...
Old 09-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepjb View Post
When Zeppelin crashed, music died...
There was definitely a vacuum...lots of suckage in their wake. Real rock n' roll didn't make a solid comeback until the late 80's and 90's....in my most humble of opinions.

The empire fell and the dark ages came upon the world. Sounds like a Tenacious D line...bwuaha!
Old 09-09-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
frontman Robert Plant is in talks this week with fellow Led Zep legends Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones about a Zeppelin tour that'll hopefully kick off in London this November.
Yeah, I don't know where that came from other than the original post. If you read the linked articles, it says they're in talks about a one-off gig that will probably take place in London.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a tour.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Pioneer Member

God i would love a reunion tour. Would be insane. Tickets would be crazy.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:29 PM

it would be like a millon euro just for general admision but i would pay it ten times over i hope it happens and jason is really good drummer i mean really good hes got a similar style to his dads but hes got his own style it would be cool to watch.wonder if he will do moby dick
Old 09-10-2007, 03:55 AM
Silver Member

I love zep, but I can't say I'm excited as most of you. I'm just afraid they won't live up to themselves. Plus, like plant said, there's just not another drummer that can completely fill Bonham's shoes. Although, from what I've heard, Jason sounds like a great fit. Way better than just some random guy. Who knows, we'll have to wait and see. Assuming this is legit.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:59 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarlet View Post
Presumably late drummer John Bonham's son, Jason Bonham (last seen banging skins for celebreality band Damnocracy on VH1's Supergroup), will fill in behind the drumkit for the Zep trek; since Damnocracy mouthpiece Sebastian Bach is busy trying to launch a hip-hop career on MTV's Celebrity Rap Superstars (more on that HERE), we're guessing Damnocracy are on indefinite hiatus and Jason will therefore thankfully be free..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
YEAH!!!

But will Jason Bonham leave Foreigner for a Zep reunion?
Jason has lived off of his Dad's name for his entire life & I couldn't imagine him turning something like this down. He'd also say, "This is my way of paying tribute to my father." (Again, for the umpteenth time.)

I'd love to see these guys back together, but we'll see.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:56 PM

One gig does not equal a tour.

I saw the 77 tour at the Pontiac Silverdome and remember it well. Times were differnt back then, bands were not into playing a song verbatim, a lot of improvsing was going on and this concert was no exception.

Jones did his 20 minuite no quarter solo, complete with laser occilisope patterns on the roof of the dome. At points it was boring to be honest with you, the lasers kept the crowd going and people yelling dont freak out man, it's ony zepplin.

JB did his moby dick solo, but the guitar intro and finish to the song, they did the Wanton song, I think it was, or something off of PG which just made it wierd ya know? theyr olled the drum kit up to the front of the stage, complete with lights inside the drums and inside the kettel drums. Again about a 20 min solo, with JB playing with his hands and all, a good solo. He was looking overwieght and looked liked he was in his underwear, honestly looked like boxer shorts and a wife beater on.

Page did his dazed and confused solo, violin bow and laser pyarmid and the antena feed back thing, again very good solo, had the crowd going and again about 20 mins for that.

So the 3 hour show had about an hour of solo material in it and 2 hours of songs, a couple of encores, which was also wierd because they turned on the house lights and plant comes running back on stage and says we cant let you go just yet, turn those lights off but they left 1 set of them on so here is the might zep doing trampled under foot with the house lights on, just a bizare finish to a hot night.

Ah yes, 6 ft mirror ball, huge video screen, lasers, 82,000 people, no opening act or warm up band, only a record player palying music before the show and only playing Bob Seger record, it was just a wierd night but it could all of been from the acid too!
Old 09-10-2007, 03:07 PM

My guess is this is as close toa reunion tour as it's ever going to get, just in time for the Holidays.

Comprehensive Two-CD Led Zeppelin Collection Features Twenty-Four Remastered Studio Tracks; The Very Best of Led Zeppelin Available in Multiple Configurations; Remixed and Remastered Deluxe Reissue of "The Song Remains The Same" Soundtrack Includes Previously Unreleased Tracks; "The Song Remains The Same" Landmark Concert DVD in Limited Edition, HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc From Warner Home Video
Available November 13 and November 20

(Jul 27, 2007) -- After nearly forty years, Led Zeppelin continues to inspire generations with their groundbreaking blues-infused, guitar-driven rock 'n' roll. Arguably the biggest rock band in the world throughout their 12-year reign, they remain one of the most influential and innovative groups in music history. With over 200 million albums sold worldwide, their catalog is one of the most enduring bodies of musical composition to come out of the 20th century.

Available November 13, Atlantic Records/Rhino Entertainment will honor the Rock & Rock Hall of Famers with the release of "Mothership," a 24-track, two-CD comprehensive collection that spans their illustrious career. All eight of the band's classic studio albums are represented here, with the tracks being personally selected by Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, and John Paul Jones. "Mothership" includes landmark songs such as "Whole Lotta Love," "Immigrant Song," "Kashmir," "Rock And Roll," "Dazed And Confused," and "Stairway To Heaven." The set will also include new liner notes by famed rock writer David Fricke.

Available at all physical retail outlets and www.ledzeppelin.com, "Mothership" collectible packages will be available in multiple configurations:

-- Standard Package - 2-CD set ($19.98 SRP)
-- Deluxe Edition - 2-CD/ 1-DVD featuring the premiere-version (90
minutes) of live performance footage culled from the "Led Zeppelin DVD"
($24.98 SRP)
-- Collector's Edition - 2-CD/1-DVD ultra-deluxe, collectible limited
edition ($TBA)
-- Vinyl Edition - 4 LPs, high-end, audiophile quality vinyl with
collectible memorabilia ($74.98 SRP)

Originally released in 1976, "The Song Remains The Same" soundtrack album of the concert film features songs from the band's three-night stint at Madison Square Garden in July 1973. On November 20, "The Song Remains The Same" soundtrack gets the deluxe reissue treatment, with the band members overseeing the remixing and remastering of the original release. The new version of the soundtrack includes six songs that were not on the original release -- "Black Dog," "Over The Hills And Far Away," "Misty Mountain Hop," "Since I've Been Loving You," "The Ocean," and "Heartbreaker," plus new liner notes by Academy Award®-winning director Cameron Crowe ("Almost Famous").

Slated for a simultaneous release, Warner Home Video debuts brand-new DVD editions of "The Song Remains The Same," now for the first time with all 14 songs from the original concert. The DVD features newly remixed and remastered sound, 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound, and boasts more than 40 minutes of added bonus material*, including never-before-released performance footage of "Over The Hills And Far Away" and "Celebration Day"; plus performances of "Misty Mountain Hop" and "The Ocean"; a rare 1976 BBC interview with Robert Plant and Peter Grant; vintage TV footage from the Drake Hotel robbery during the New York concert stand; and a Cameron Crowe radio show. The discs will be available as follows:

-- Deluxe Edition DVD - ($19.97 SRP*)
-- Deluxe Edition HD DVD and Blu-ray - ($28.99 SRP each*)
-- Limited Collector's Edition - 2-disc set includes collectible vintage
T-shirt with original album artwork design, soundtrack CD, lobby cards,
reproductions of original premiere invites, tour schedule, and more ($TBA*)

"We have revisited 'The Song Remains The Same,'" says Jimmy Page, "and can now offer the complete set as played at Madison Square Garden. This differs substantially from the original soundtrack released in 1976, and highlights the technical prowess of Kevin Shirley, who worked with us on 'How The West Was Won.' When it comes to 'The Song Remains The Same,' the expansion of the DVD and soundtrack are as good as it gets on the Led Zeppelin wish list."

MOTHERSHIP
Track Listing:

Disc One
1. Good Times Bad Times
2. Communication Breakdown
3. Dazed And Confused
4. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
5. Whole Lotta Love
6. Ramble On
7. Heartbreaker
8. Immigrant Song
9. Since I've Been Loving You
10. Rock And Roll
11. Black Dog
12. When The Levee Breaks
13. Stairway To Heaven

Disc Two
1. Song Remains The Same
2. Over The Hills And Far Away
3. D'Yer Maker
4. No Quarter
5. Trampled Under Foot
6. Houses Of The Holy
7. Kashmir
8. Nobody's Fault But Mine
9. Achilles Last Stand
10. In The Evening
11. All My Love

THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME
Track Listing

Disc One
1. Rock And Roll
2. Celebration Day
3. Black Dog*
4. Over The Hills*
5. Misty Mountain Hop*
6. Since I've Been Loving You*
7. No Quarter
8. The Song Remains The Same
9. Rain Song
10. The Ocean*

Disc Two
1. Dazed And Confused
2. Stairway To Heaven
3. Moby Dick
4. Heartbreaker*
5. Whole Lotta Love

* Not on original soundtrack release
Old 09-10-2007, 03:15 PM

Jon Bonham is dead ,,,, Led Zeppelin is also dead. I don't believe in music exhumations. Sorry.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

I'm one of the biggest Zep fans out there & I hate too rain on everybody's parade but i'll believe it when I see it.It goes along with one of my favorite jokes:"did you hear zeppelin gonna get back together?nope.punchline:yea me either LOL it gets them everytime.It would be great if they get back together and I hope they do but we've gone thru this before.One thing i'm glad too hear is that they're going re-release "the song remains the same"with the whole concert(the ocean,misty mountain hop,heartbreaker,etc.)all the unrealsed songs and interviews and they go more into detail about the Drake hotel robbery.at least we have that confirmed too look forward too.

Keep Swatting,
Bonzolead
Old 09-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post

Grohl is a great drummer and musician but keep jason behind the kit It's John's son afterall.Jason grew up with these guys they even got together & jammed at Jason's wedding I just think the chemistry would be a lot better.

Keep Swatting,
Bonzolead
Old 09-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post

portnoy would play a nice bonham behind the kit. but i agree that they should keep jason
Old 09-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp 9091 View Post
portnoy would play a nice bonham behind the kit. but i agree that they should keep jason
Portnoy would be cool if he stays single-kick(not even double pedal) and five-piece that's what set Bonham apart he did so much with so little as much as I like Portnoy probably my favorite drummer in the last 10 yrs. Jason should still be first pick it's. only right and Jason not that bad of a drummer either.

Bonzolead
Old 09-13-2007, 04:16 AM

Well its official, they're playing the Tribute To Ahmet concert in London, I want to go SOOOOOOOO badddddd, but you have to enter a lottery to even get permission to buy tickets hahaha, and the website you enter at crashed 30 minutes after the press release because of all the visitors so I haven't even entered it yet... Anyone got an extra plane ticket to London lying around? Better yet, anyone got a flat in London that I can stay at? You get two tickets per household entry, we could do a barter!!

Haha I wanna goooo
Old 09-13-2007, 06:04 AM

I heard about this the other day on the Yahoo music news. I'm kind of torn. I have always wanted to see them live but only with Bonzo. I always thought that it was cool that they honored him by breaking up. Unlike the Who when they picked up Kenny Jones after Keith died, it was never the same. I'm afraid Zeppelin would have the same fate. Although I think Jason could definately fill his Father's shoes better then anyone. I would definately try to buy tickets to see this show, but I doubt that I would be able to afford it. From what I read it sounds like only one show not a world tour.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:45 PM

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/47924605

Yeah! Like others said come out with a DVD and tour!
Old 09-15-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumminjohn View Post
Well its official, they're playing the Tribute To Ahmet concert in London, I want to go SOOOOOOOO badddddd, but you have to enter a lottery to even get permission to buy tickets hahaha, and the website you enter at crashed 30 minutes after the press release because of all the visitors so I haven't even entered it yet... Anyone got an extra plane ticket to London lying around? Better yet, anyone got a flat in London that I can stay at? You get two tickets per household entry, we could do a barter!!

Haha I wanna goooo
Yeah you had to enter a lotto type thing for them

20million people entered to try win the chance to buy some of the 20,000 tickets!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Man, I really hope that if they do tour, that they will come to montreal, it will be awesome!

I would like to share this desire to see Led Zep in Montréal.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmeris View Post
One gig does not equal a tour.

I saw the 77 tour at the Pontiac Silverdome and remember it well. Times were differnt back then, bands were not into playing a song verbatim, a lot of improvsing was going on and this concert was no exception.

Jones did his 20 minuite no quarter solo, complete with laser occilisope patterns on the roof of the dome. At points it was boring to be honest with you, the lasers kept the crowd going and people yelling dont freak out man, it's ony zepplin.

JB did his moby dick solo, but the guitar intro and finish to the song, they did the Wanton song, I think it was, or something off of PG which just made it wierd ya know? theyr olled the drum kit up to the front of the stage, complete with lights inside the drums and inside the kettel drums. Again about a 20 min solo, with JB playing with his hands and all, a good solo. He was looking overwieght and looked liked he was in his underwear, honestly looked like boxer shorts and a wife beater on.

Page did his dazed and confused solo, violin bow and laser pyarmid and the antena feed back thing, again very good solo, had the crowd going and again about 20 mins for that.

So the 3 hour show had about an hour of solo material in it and 2 hours of songs, a couple of encores, which was also wierd because they turned on the house lights and plant comes running back on stage and says we cant let you go just yet, turn those lights off but they left 1 set of them on so here is the might zep doing trampled under foot with the house lights on, just a bizare finish to a hot night.

Ah yes, 6 ft mirror ball, huge video screen, lasers, 82,000 people, no opening act or warm up band, only a record player palying music before the show and only playing Bob Seger record, it was just a wierd night but it could all of been from the acid too!
I grew up in Pontiac I was 7 yrs old then and wanted to go to the show but didn't. reading your take on the show was really cool.

Thanks,
Bonzolead