Barry Borden

slingerland755

Silver Member
Does anyone remember Mother's Finest? BB Queen (Barry Borden) was my favorite drummer for the band (they have gone through a few in 30 years). BB played on a few of their albums, most notably Another Mother Further, Mother's Finest Live and Iron Age. He is kind of like a funky John Bonham. He went on to play with Illusion, Molly Hatchet, The Outlaws and most recently The Marshall Tucker Band. I was hoping someone would have some good stories or comments.

Re: BB

I actually sometime play with their old touring bass player, Eric Moore. He lives here in Savannah now and playing in several bands, on top of his own "Voodoo Soup".

No takers on BB huh? That's too bad, I thought for sure there would be some BB fans out there. Hard Rock Lover...doublebass intro...huge... bridge section....funky syncopation!

When Barry left Mothers Finest he joined Choice. I was the Sound Engineer back then. BB was great, loved Larry King, Cigs and strong coffee. BB rarely drank.

I thought he was with Choice before MF. I believe he started playing with Illusion for a short while (after MF), then off to Molly Hatchet. Wasn't Choice from Tenn?

BB worked at Atlanta Pro Percussion in between gigs and I remember he loved his cigs and strong coffee. Didn't know about Larry King...

I know he's with Marshall Tucker now.

Thanks for posting.

BB is a MONSTER !!!!!!!

so glad i found this. i recently added Barry to my list of favorites to study. i always liked him, but hadn't realised he's right at the top of my list.

Sa-LUTE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barry was the first drummer I ever saw in a big venue. When I was 12 my Dad took me to see The Who. Opening the show was Mother's Finest. I was so impressed that the next day I went right out and bought their first LP. Still have it! I loved his double kick drum set up, with those huge bass drums and one lone tom in the middle. Sort of the same set-up Aldridge used with Black Oak Arkansas...I think it was a popular set up around that era. The kit was red, for what it's worth. I have a photo from that show somewhere...if you'd like I can scan it and post it here.
The Who show I saw on October 12th, 1976 was the last show on the tour, and Keith Moon's last "official" show, period. He only played two more times with the Who - in a private setting for the movie "The Kids Are Alright", before he passed away.
Seeing Moon made me want to play drums, along with a 78rpm disc in my Grandmother's basement that belonged to my Dad; "Crazy, Man, Crazy"/"Whatcha Gonna Do" by Bill Haley & The Comets. I think it's Billy Gussack drumming.

B.B still loves his coffee and cigarettes lol. He is my stepdad and I never realized his drumming influenced this many people. It definitely makes me appreciate him more in a way. I am also going to show him this blog and I know he will really appreciate it! He is still playing for Marshall Tucker and still touring!

-Stephanie

B.B still loves his coffee and cigarettes lol. He is my stepdad and I never realized his drumming influenced this many people. It definitely makes me appreciate him more in a way. I am also going to show him this blog and I know he will really appreciate it! He is still playing for Marshall Tucker and still touring!

-Stephanie

Hey Stephanie,
Tell you stepdad I said hello. If you look at my pic/avatar (whatever) you will see that I am playing his "Red Fred" kit. We traded cars, cash and drums. I still have them, so if he cares, tell him they are taken care of and played regularly. I know he drove my old Supra for years. MF is playing live all over the place. A reunion with BB would be a too good to be true. MF has had so many great drummer since he left, but he is the drummer that left a lasting impression on me. Take care...

I grew up in Northeast GA. "Another Mother Further", Mother's Finest' release in 1977, was well known in our little town. The band came to play at our high school that year. I was 15 and it changed my life. "B.B." was a force.

My family moved to Nashville in '78, and I've now been in the music business for almost 30 years. I can tell you that virtually EVERY drummer in the Nashville music scene has known about B.B. for years. They might refer to him as "B.B.", or "that monster from Mother's Finest", but he's a favorite of so many here.

In the early 90s, my band was signed to a label in L.A. I remember we were in the studio one day in West Hollywood, and thinking Mother's Finest was my own little North GA secret, I took out an old tape of "Truth'll Set You Free" to let everyone hear B.B. play. All of them -- engineers, staff, and musicians -- already knew the record. Talk about a "cult" following! We put it up on the big speakers, and marveled at his great playing.

A few years later, back in Nashville, I worked on a few projects with Henry Paul (The Outlaws) and asked him if he ever met B.B. His face lit up, and he told me how truly great the guy is, and what an innovator he was in the 70s.

For different reasons, my favorite drummers over the years have ranged from John Bonham to Steve Jordan, and Steve Gadd to Stuart Copeland. B.B. belongs on the list of these greats. And I'll guarantee you, they are all aware of the work he did on those great MF records.

Thanks, B.B.!

@Belov3 - Here's a link to "Baby Love" live at Rockpalast in '77 or '78. It will lead you to several other MF performances on Youtube.

Technique is one thing -- lots of people have that. Less understand groove. But B.B. had all that and more. I believe your stepdad is one of the greatest drummers of all time, and has influenced as many professional drummers as a lot of the guys who had much more exposure in the 70s-80s. I'm so happy that the internet can now expose so many more young players to B.B.

Does anyone remember Mother's Finest? BB Queen (Barry Borden) was my favorite drummer for the band (they have gone through a few in 30 years). BB played on a few of their albums, most notably Another Mother Further, Mother's Finest Live and Iron Age. He is kind of like a funky John Bonham. He went on to play with Illusion, Molly Hatchet, The Outlaws and most recently The Marshall Tucker Band. I was hoping someone would have some good stories or comments.
My band opened for MF several times through the early years. I loved that Red Slingerland kit. It’s awesome that you have that kit. You should post a photo of it! Love his playing and am still a huge MF fan. My bud John Hayes (second guitarist) has been playing with MF for quite sometime as well.

My band opened for MF several times through the early years. I loved that Red Slingerland kit. It’s awesome that you have that kit. You should post a photo of it! Love his playing and am still a huge MF fan. My bud John Hayes (second guitarist) has been playing with MF for quite sometime as well.
What an huge influence BB had on me as a youngster really learning how to play.

Absolutely fabulous, innovative and definitely has the groove. He could stand toe to toe with any of the ‘greatest’ drummers IMO. I am just as impressed today as I was back in the late 70’s.

Back