DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 09-05-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Restored my first set

Well after hanging around in the shadows for the about the last year or so I finally decided I'd better join up with the "drummerworld" and get in on the fun!

I've been drumming for 13-14 years and have played on various setups over the years but they've all come and gone except the set I started out on, and just haven't been able to get rid of yet. Probably because no one wants it. My first set (and current) is a 70's vintage Maxwin/Pearl set. Yes, yes, I know. Turn up the noses, make fun, etc... I realise this is no where near a classic set and yet it was more than a sufficient start into the world of drums and percussion.

Now what have I played over the years you ask (if I still have a Maxwin in the stable)? I played a few Pearl exports, a couple Yamaha's (stage customs),an old beat up Gretsch, Tama superstar, and yes even played (and recorded) on a beautiful blue sparkle DW.

The Maxwin's had sat in the corner of my parents basement for quite a few years unplayed when i got the idea to restore them for fun last winter. The shells and wraps were always kept in mint shape so really it was a pretty easy project. That and I restore and customize cars, so drums are pretty straight forward really.

Specs are as follows: (piano white wrap)
Bass: 24x16
Concert toms: 8x6, 10x7
Toms: 13x10, 14x11
Floor tom: 18x16
Snare(s) Steel 14x5.5, 13x3 Pearl piccolo (steel)

Current cymbal set up:
Paiste 505 15" medium hi-hats
Zildjian 20" A custom medium ride
Zildjian 16" late 70's vintage crash, Canadian made (unbelieveable!!! I'd replace it but I can't find anything I like better)
Sabian 16" HHX manhattan jazz crash
Zildjian 8" K splash
UFIP 19" crash/ride (ancient and absolutely horrible, infact it was thrown in for free when I bought the Maxwins way back)

I'm still working on getting the pics up, as soon as I get them available, I'll get them on.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Big_Philly

Default Re: Restored my first set

Sounds good, can't wait for the pics! What wood is it made of?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Big sizes. I'd 24, 14, 18 it (simple 4 piece) with your pick of snare. The perfect punk rock/gutter rock beater kit. White cortex is cool in that, put colored lights on it and you change the color of the drums. Put ebony heads reso. on the kick and rack tom(s) to pimp out the kit. Welcome to Drummerworld. Pictures, yes please.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:00 PM

Name:  pics07006.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  92.6 KB

Well here they are, Forgot to mention what heads I went with. All toms currently have pinstripe batter. Bass has a emad batter with an ebony reso, and the 14x5.5 snare has a controled sound batter, piccolo snare with an ambassador batter. All drums sprot ambassador reso. (snares have the ambassador snare reso). I'm considering switching to Remo CS black dots on the concert toms for that true 70's look/sound. I seriously considered ebony resos, thought the bass was bold enough.

As for the shells wood type, I'm not really sure. It's a fairly dark wood almost looks like a mahogany to me. The small concert toms look like some sort of fiberglass reinforced wood. The inside of the shells have a laminated wood grain wallpaper type thing in them to give the wood look. By the way the bongos on the floor are LP maples.

Name:  pics07008.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  95.5 KB

Name:  pics07005.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  93.7 KB

Name:  pics07004.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  93.1 KB

Name:  pics07003.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  94.3 KB

Actually used these in a concert back a few months ago as well as played a wedding reception before that, forgot how cool the white looks under the lights. I think the next set is gonna have to be white again.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Silver Member

...very nice Putsie, but where is the Rough Rider sticker?

Barry
Old 09-06-2007, 12:36 AM

Wow-that brings back some memories...I had a 7 pc "concert tom"-no lower lugs- setup on my old white Maxwins (12, 13, 14, 16" rack toms, 16" floor tom, 20" bass, 14" chrome snare).
I I always cursed that "ball joint" tom mount on the bass drum; between songs I was constantly adjusting the 12 and 13" toms, because they would gradually get loose, eventually damaging the shell on the 13".
Cheapies, but they served me well at the time. Yours look in awesome shape!
Old 09-06-2007, 01:17 AM
Pioneer Member

Wow thats really nice. Same setup that i have, but without the extra snare.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2007, 06:22 AM

Thumper I share your frustrations with the original ball joint tom mounts. Absolute garbage!!! Much muttering took place over having to constantly adjust them. I can't figure out what would make you think something so flimsy could hold a 13" and/or 14" tom. As you can see I'm not plagued by that problem anymore, Best thing I could have done was change up that mounting system.

Those drums held up pretty well for the amount of miles I put on them. Really they went more places than they really should have. I like big sets, but I used them on a western Canadian tour 7 years ago when I was playing with a jazz band (had a different cymbal setup at the time), a bit overkill perhaps. Following year the switch was made to a simple (smaller) Yamaha set, much easier to lug around (and hardware that actually worked).

i'll have to digging through my drum pic archives. Should have a file of evolution of the set over the years. I think I might still have one from a time (12-13 years ago) I combined the Maxwins with a Pearl Export (brand new at the time) to make a monster set. Worked awesome as the Export was the smaller 22,12,13,16 matched with my 24,13,14,18. Had a trio of Roto toms at the time, before I got the 8,10concert toms. Problem was the Pearls were Black in color so visually it didn't work. lots of fun though.

By the way Baz.... I figured I should at least own one item that's not covered is Rider green,.................. but now I may have to go change that.

GO RIDERS!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
Wow thats really nice. Same setup that i have, but without the extra snare.
Ewww, Look at that B8. That has to go.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Snob.

I honestly doesnt matter about B8's.

lol

Anyway - Putsie, nice kit.

I like the setup, it reminds me of Neil Peart.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 09-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Well you know...I just had to get that dig in on ClassA since he is the first to smack everyone else about their cymbals. LOL
Old 09-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Dont worry, i replaced it over a year ago with a 16" HHX evolution crash. Also, the 10" splash was replaced with a 14" AAX Studio crash.