DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-02-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Proper stands for overheadmics?

Gentlemen!

I'm using an overheadmic when I play live. For that purpose, I have an ordinary König & Meyer overhead stand.

And that is my problem. Do you know how anoying that kind of stands are? They're heavy, un-handy, un-practical, anoying to un-fold, anoying to fold, anoying to carry, anoying to tighten... Ahhhh! I just hate it.
Compared to an ordinary cymbal stand, the konstruction of a micorfon stand is so un-practical and anoying.

Therefore, please recomment som proper overheadstands...

Thank you...
Old 09-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Proper stands for overheadmics?

I haven't had any problems with König & Meyers, and I've used them a lot in studio and live. Are you using one with a tripod base or a "cookie" base?
Old 09-02-2007, 12:19 PM

It's a tripod base... Why don't they design them like ordinary cymbal stands? They're much easyer to handle, carry, and un-fold. I HATE'em!
Old 09-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter W. View Post
It's a tripod base... Why don't they design them like ordinary cymbal stands? They're much easyer to handle, carry, and un-fold. I HATE'em!
Well, I'll admit that I'd like the tilters to be more solid, but other than that I find no faults in them.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:26 PM

Why don't they design the legs like a cymbal stand? And why don't they design the mechanism to tilt the boom-arm like a cymbal stand?

Are there any way, that you can attatch the microphone mount, on an ordinary cymbal stand?
Old 09-02-2007, 07:06 PM

Don't just plan on using just overhead condensers because no condenser under $499.00 can pick up a whole set and you stil would most likley need two of those to get both sides of the set depending how wide you set is and how wide the sound opening/ diaphragms are. You need to do multi channel mics. ( kick mic, tom mics, snare mic) It might be more mics but it would be cheaper.

The best kind of stand for a overhead would be a regular tripod boom stand with a long boom arm with a goose neck plus clamping mic clip one the end of the stand to let you easily get the mic where it needs to be and have it stay on the stand.

Best price for the tripod boomed stands http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl~...%5BcatGroup%5D

In bulk for a good price
http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl~...%5BcatGroup%5D
Old 09-02-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somexone75 View Post
Don't just plan on using just overhead condensers because no condenser under $499.00 can pick up a whole set and you stil would most likley need two of those to get both sides of the set depending how wide you set is and how wide the sound opening/ diaphragms are. You need to do multi channel mics. ( kick mic, tom mics, snare mic) It might be more mics but it would be cheaper.

The best kind of stand for a overhead would be a regular tripod boom stand with a long boom arm with a goose neck plus clamping mic clip one the end of the stand to let you easily get the mic where it needs to be and have it stay on the stand.

Best price for the tripod boomed stands http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl~...%5BcatGroup%5D

In bulk for a good price
http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl~...%5BcatGroup%5D

I use a Shure VP88 (which is a stereo overhead) with a Shure BETA 58 build inside my kickdrum. That's a two microphone concept - which I have borrowed from Steve Smith. It's great!

The point is, the Shure VP88 is a really big microphone, and the König & Meyer overhead stand doesn't really have the solid quality that im looking for - like a good solid cymbal stand.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I use a Shure VP88 (which is a stereo overhead) with a Shure BETA 58 build inside my kickdrum. That's a two microphone concept - which I have borrowed from Steve Smith. It's great!

The point is, the Shure VP88 is a really big microphone, and the König & Meyer overhead stand doesn't really have the solid quality that im looking for - like a good solid cymbal stand.
O so you already have a reference you are following and a really expensive overhead.
I still don't know why you are using a vocal mic in your bass. Some things we may never know.

The tripod stands are pretty much exactly like a cymbal stand. The only differences are the legs are smaller, it is lighter and has a different clamp setup. If they do get too wobely for you you could just strap on extensions for the legs out of a larger diameter pvc than the legs to give more stability or just set a sand bag down on the base.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I still don't know why you are using a vocal mic in your bass. Some things we may never know.
Using something like a 57 on kick is pretty common in a live situation. Sometimes the only mic used on everything is a 57. It gets the job done. It may not have a frequency response as low as a dedicated kick mic, but with proximity effect you will still get a nice boom. It doesn't have to be perfect for live sound.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
O so you already have a reference you are following and a really expensive overhead.

The tripod stands are pretty much exactly like a cymbal stand. The only differences are the legs are smaller, it is lighter and has a different clamp setup. If they do get too wobely for you you could just strap on extensions for the legs out of a larger diameter pvc than the legs to give more stability or just set a sand bag down on the base.
Oops! Sorry... Just messing up the numbers. The kickdrum mic is off course a Shure BETA 52.

But I'm the only person feeling, that an ordinary microphonestand tripod base sucks?
Old 09-03-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Oops! Sorry... Just messing up the numbers. The kickdrum mic is off course a Shure BETA 52.

But I'm the only person feeling, that an ordinary microphonestand tripod base sucks?
Ya the base sucks for over heads before you mod the bases with pvc extensions and get them positioned almost directly under your throne/ behind you to give the mic the opt positioning to capture the most sound. All it takes to make a stand good is either a chunk of 3/4" or 1" PVC with a 2' chunk on each leg to extend it held on by duct tape, the god of all tapes, to give you much more stability. Or you could go spend more money to buy a base with longer legs. That mod should cast you under a few bucks.

Ok good, the beta 52a is the top of the top. Thats what I use with the rest of the kit and clamps that came with it.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

If your stand is just falling over, you can try using a counterweight on the back of the boom. With a proper counterweight you won't need super long legs at the base.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
If your stand is just falling over, you can try using a counterweight on the back of the boom. With a proper counterweight you won't need super long legs at the base.
I just personally like the long leg ways because there is less you have to worry about rinning into, but ya counterweights work really well and are as simple as a sand bag with a string.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:02 PM

Ya, counterweights work really well, I just always had them getting in my way. They work almost flawlessly compared to extending the legs and are as simple as a sandbag with a string on it.