DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Default My Mind Is Made Up!

I have been wanting to buy new heads for a good time now. I have asked many questions and tried to listen to as many combinations as possible. Well, last night... I finally destroyed my bass drum head. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. Now I have to go and buy new heads. Since I have to buy a bass drum head, I'm going to go all the way.

After alot of research heres what I have decided to do.

Snare: Remo coated Emperor X (batter) w/ Ambassador (reso)
All Toms: Coated Emperor's (batter) w/ Smooth White Ambassador's (reso)
Bass Drum: Smooth White Ambassador (batter) w/ Black Ambassador (reso)

My choice is based on the sound I like and my playing style. I want durable heads with a medium/medium low amount of sustain. I might even buy an Ahead Tone Cookie to bring the sustain down a smidge. I don't want a thicker reso, so don't go there... lol.
Concerning the bass drum, I am going to try to go without a muffling pillow, but I might still use one cuz I like that fat *THUD* a pillow helps to give. I don't like alot of reso/sustain with the bass drum. I want it to hit your chest hard and make you nauseous, but not over power the toms during fills.

Thats my choice.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My Mind Is Made Up!

Sounds great. except shaky on the BD. Hope you find the thud you're looking for.

P.S. I'm going to cut the tags tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Sounds great. except shaky on the BD. Hope you find the thud you're looking for.

P.S. I'm going to cut the tags tomorrow.
Ha, I figured you still had those tags on there. I'm a tad bit iffy on the BD too, but I haven't been able to find a better combination. I found somewhat of a decent sound with the Aquarian bass drum heads, but it was still too light and empty for my taste. I tried low tuning methods with them and it sounded flat. Thats why I lean towards Remo.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:02 PM

How about a Powerstroke 3 or 4 for the bass?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
How about a Powerstroke 3 or 4 for the bass?
Hi Joe, the Powerstroke's lack a little sustain for me by themselves. I would rather go with a head that has a little more sustain so if I wanna pull it down a bit I can without the drum sounding *dead* to my ears. I ride that fine line of Medium to Medium/low sustain. I know what I like to hear.

Last edited by That Guy; 09-02-2007 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Hi Joe, the Powerstroke's lack a little sustain for me by themselves. I would rather go with a head that has a little more sustain so if I wanna pull it down a bit I can without the drum sounding *dead* to my ears. I ride that fine line of Medium to Medium/low sustain. I know what I like to hear.
I agree with Joe P, the power stoke 3 seems most qualified to give you a fat bassdrum thud with that little-extra-but-not-to-much sustain...
Old 09-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
I agree with Joe P, the power stoke 3 seems most qualified to give you a fat bassdrum thud with that little-extra-but-not-to-much sustain...
Now you guys are killing me.. lol. Just when I have my mind made up someone swoops in and steals my thunder. I'm only afraid of the Powerstroke 3 killing too much of the sustain. Its easier to dampen it, rathan than trying to increase it. But, since both of you recommend the Powerstroke 3 I will go to the store and see if I can get my buddy to throw one on a drum so I can hear it. I do want to make the right purchase.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm only afraid of the Powerstroke 3 killing too much of the sustain. Its easier to dampen it, rathan than trying to increase it. But, since both of you recommend the Powerstroke 3 I will go to the store and see if I can get my buddy to throw one on a drum so I can hear it. I do want to make the right purchase.
The PS3 has a very good, controlled sustain -- after all, it is just an Ambassador with an integrated muffling ring. I have my bass drum set up with a PS3 on both sides (clear batter, ebony reso, no hole on the resonant side), and I can really make it sing with a great, low rumbling tone for unmiked situations, but I can also loosen the heads to make it ideal for close-miking. If you intend to cut a hole in the resonant head, an Ambassador will probably work better for that purpose. You'll need minimal muffling with a PS3, which in turn makes the drum slightly louder and lets the drum reverberate more.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Now you guys are killing me.. lol. Just when I have my mind made up someone swoops in and steals my thunder. I'm only afraid of the Powerstroke 3 killing too much of the sustain. Its easier to dampen it, rathan than trying to increase it. But, since both of you recommend the Powerstroke 3 I will go to the store and see if I can get my buddy to throw one on a drum so I can hear it. I do want to make the right purchase.
If your mind was made up, why did you post? To get a rah-rah from a bunch of opinionated drummers? ;-)

In your first post you say, "I don't like alot of reso/sustain with the bass drum." Yet several have noticed that your mind is made up to buy bass drum heads that will sustain like mad. You will reach for that muffling pillow (that you say you don't want to use) in an instant with those heads.

Well, I agree with you, I hate to use anything in the drum for muffling because even the smallest pillow/towel/EQ-pad kills tone along with sustain. So I recommend . . . wait for it . . . the PS3.

But don't have your buddy throw one on a bass drum, listen to one with both batter and reso PS3s. To my ear using two (with nothing in the drum) kills some sustain without making the drum sound dead. That sounds more like what you want. Put a Falam pad on the batter for a smidge more attack.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
If your mind was made up, why did you post? To get a rah-rah from a bunch of opinionated drummers? ;-)
LOL! Actually I wanted to hear differing opinions. I know what I like to hear, but if there is something that I am missing in my purchase I want to know about it. I didn't think that the heads that I chose for the bass drum had a ton of sustain. It sure didn't sound like it when I tried it out. I'm happy that there is a compliance on opinions with the PS3.. thats why I am going to check it out. I think it might have been the PS4 that I tried out last week. Maybe thats why I was not pleased with the sound. Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
But don't have your buddy throw one on a bass drum, listen to one with both batter and reso PS3s
Thats what I am doing today around 4pm. I wouldn't dare listen to it with just a batter head... lol. Sorry if it came across in that manner. I will let ya guys know what I think when I come back.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Ok, I just got back from the music store and I tried out the Powerstroke 3's for about 45 minutes. When I got there I asked my buddy what were the PS's that I played on earlier? He said.. "4's". That must be why I didn't go for the sound at that time.

Ya, the PS3's are they way I am going to go. I started off with a high tension equal tuned bass and they sounded great. The lower I tuned them, the better it got! I'm sold! I am getting them for my bass drum.

Now, don't nobody come up in here telling me not to get them... lol. Thanks for your advice Joe P, Aydee and Wavelength. You saved me from having to want to upgrade later.

Thankyou.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

PS3 are one ply with a ring, PS4 are 2 ply with a ring. PS4 are darker than PS3.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
PS3 are one ply with a ring, PS4 are 2 ply with a ring. PS4 are darker than PS3.
Ya, thats why I didn't go for them the first time, cuz I was playing on PS4's. Too dark for me.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ok, I just got back from the music store and I tried out the Powerstroke 3's for about 45 minutes. When I got there I asked my buddy what were the PS's that I played on earlier? He said.. "4's". That must be why I didn't go for the sound at that time.

Ya, the PS3's are they way I am going to go. I started off with a high tension equal tuned bass and they sounded great. The lower I tuned them, the better it got! I'm sold! I am getting them for my bass drum.

Now, don't nobody come up in here telling me not to get them... lol. Thanks for your advice Joe P, Aydee and Wavelength. You saved me from having to want to upgrade later.

Thankyou.
good! now I hope they sound the same when you get home...lol!

BTW, Im burning my tags next week, I going to take a picture and post it up! just keepin you informed.