DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 09-01-2007, 06:00 PM

Default I broke my bass drum pedal

I was happily double bass drumming away on my Stagg PP550's(in my opinion the best pedals in the world) when the one under my right foot broke. I've only had the pedal 6 months! If it had been older, I wouldn't of minded as much. What has happened is that the metal bit holding the chain to the footboard has sheared completely off. I'm going to contact Stagg to see if they can replace it as there is a 5 year guarantee. I'm extremely annoyed! Any advice on how I could fix it would be mcuh appreciated.
PS.Sorry about poor quality pics.
PPS. I haven't got the toestop on because without it you can do heel-toe (that's what that screw is).

This is where the broken bit should be attatched to. The bit of metal doesn't go through that gap, it goes up to the end of the big black washer and around.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Re: I broke my bass drum pedal

That sucks bro. I had a cheap ludwig pedal that looks to be made of the same material as yours back in the 80's and it did the same thing except the footboard broke in half. Currently I play a DW 5000 double pedal or 2 Yamaha flying dragon singles and havnt had a problem at all. I also have had a single DW 5000 for 20 years with zero problems. I understand you like the pedal and no disrespect ... but I dont think the stagg brand is the best of anything. I would save up and try all the big name pedals ( tama iron cobra , DW 5000 / 9000 , Yamaha Flying Dragon , Axis etc....) and see if you can find one that you like. They should last a long long time. Unfortunately in drum hardware ... you get what you pay for. Hopefully they have a good warrantee.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
=CBPEAVEY;355415...happily double bass drumming ... my Stagg PP550's(in my opinion the best pedals in the world) ... broke. I've only had the pedal 6 months! ... 5 year guarantee. I'm extremely annoyed! Any advice on how I could fix it would be mcuh appreciated.
You probably need to take the pedal back to the dealer you bought it from and let them either ship it back to Stagg, or let them order the parts to fix the pedal. The dealer should also be able to show you how to install/swap out new parts for broken ones. You may or may not need your receipt and warrantee card to do this. Depends on your "relationship" with the drum store you purchased from.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwatch View Post
I understand you like the pedal and no disrespect ... but I dont think the stagg brand is the best of anything. I would save up and try all the big name pedals
I have to say I liked the staggs a lot, not enough to buy them over the Flying Dragons but they are GREAT pedals and they make GREAT cymbals. Don't hate on off brands just because they don't say "Tama, DW, Yamaha, or some other big name, these off brands have really been stepping it up.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

...Problem with these riveted connections on these pedals is that you can not just unscrew them and make the easy fix.

What you could do for a quick easy fix would be to find a piece of something, metal, plastic, or maybe nylon, to loop through the broken piece on the chain, then punch two holes in the other end and use the toe stop to hold that piece in place on your foot board.

It may not allow you to use the type of technique that you prefer, but itcould allow you to at least use your pedal until the replacement parts come in.

In all honesty, I would strongly push for a whole new peadal. Judging from the pictures, it may not be posible to replace the broken part without some modification to the chain and the way that it attaches to the foot board and sprocket.

Good luck, and good drumming.

Barry
Old 09-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post
I have to say I liked the staggs a lot...they are GREAT pedals and they make GREAT cymbals. Don't hate on off brands...these off brands have really been stepping it up.
I wouldn't exactly call a pedal breaking within' 6 months use "stepping it up". I had a Gibraltar Intruder double pedal break chain drive in a similar fashion after 2 years and that dissapointed me, but between the store I purchased from and Gibraltar, it was fixed for free. What I do have is a Tama King Beat 6755 and a Hi-Beat 6740 pedal, http://www.tama.com/history/history_detail.asp?i=10 both over 27 years old, both fully functional and both never a broken part.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post
I have to say I liked the staggs a lot, not enough to buy them over the Flying Dragons but they are GREAT pedals and they make GREAT cymbals. Don't hate on off brands just because they don't say "Tama, DW, Yamaha, or some other big name, these off brands have really been stepping it up.
Not hating at all. I have been playing far to long to buy something that is not going to last and be dependable no matter what the brand. I wasn't saying you have to buy Tama / DW / Yamaha etc.... just saying the models I mentioned I have had ZERO quality / dependability issues. If you like the stagg buy it... if it breaks again buy another ... if it breaks again maybe look at something else more dependable.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

Tough stuff my friend.

Hopefully you can get this fixed, but it looks pretty severe....

Rivets for ya...

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 09-02-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I would save up and try all the big name pedals ( tama iron cobra , DW 5000 / 9000 , Yamaha Flying Dragon , Axis etc....) and see if you can find one that you like.
My second favourite pedals after the Staggs are Iron Cobras but they cost 3 times as much as one Stagg (and the Staggs are almost as adjustable).

Quote:
If you like the stagg buy it... if it breaks again buy another ... if it breaks again maybe look at something else more dependable.
This is the first time I've had any Stagg hardware break. If any other bits of their hardware breaks, I probably will buy a different brand.

Thanks for all the help. I have sent an email to the shop I purchased it from and to Stagg also to see what they say I should do. There is a 5 year warranty on the pedal so they should just replace it. Luckily I kept all the reciepts and information about the warranty just incase anything like this happened.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

You know what? I've been using the same Stagg cymbal stands for about three years now; and I've never had a problem with them. Heavy use, up and down all the time and they've not once failed me. That's not bad for 35 a piece!
Old 09-02-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
...Problem with these riveted connections on these pedals is that you can not just unscrew them and make the easy fix.
There aren't any rivets on the pedal anywhere. Everything is screwed in with a screw or drum key. The chain is the only thing that isn't screwed in, it's moulded into the cam.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:18 PM

UPDATE

The shop I purchased it from have agreed to completey replace the pedal! They said they were very supprised to hear that a bass drum pedal had broken after only 6 months of use. Thanks for all your help.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBPEAVEY View Post
UPDATE

The shop I purchased it from have agreed to completey replace the pedal! They said they were very supprised to hear that a bass drum pedal had broken after only 6 months of use. Thanks for all your help.
...Glad to have been as little help as I was.

Also good to see a shop that puts the customer on the throne where he belongs.

Barry