DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-29-2007, 01:46 AM

Default Wooden hoops?

Okay, so I've seen a lot of drums with wood hoops, but could someone explain to me exactly the difference between the wooden hoop and a metal hoop (whether it be die-cast or triple flanged)?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Wooden hoops?

One of my friends have these and he said they lay down a bigger rim shot attack.
Plus he said they were very durable witch is pretty amazing??
but I don't really know man.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:55 AM

I wouldn't think they'd be as durable as metal... I mean, wouldn't they dent? And might they crack after hitting the same spot a couple (thousand) times for rimshots?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:01 AM

Yeah I belive so man
I totaly agree with u.
I don't know wats so special bout them???
I guess they look good on that pacific maple snare
and what not but IDK.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:10 AM

Wood hoops are not as durable as metal.. you can dent them, but you wont crack them if they are not abused. Die cast is easier to tune IMO and has more of a dry almost more precise sound, triple flanged is more of an open sound and dosent tune as well. I have never owned wood hoops.. so i cannot comment on how they sound.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:25 AM
Platinum Member

If I'm not mistaken, I think they are mostly used to complement your snare depending on the material. If I had a maple snare, I would buy one for that.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdoubleE View Post
Wood hoops are not as durable as metal.. you can dent them, but you wont crack them if they are not abused. Die cast is easier to tune IMO and has more of a dry almost more precise sound, triple flanged is more of an open sound and dosent tune as well. I have never owned wood hoops.. so i cannot comment on how they sound.

I can't state how they are different sound-wise either but with the advanced in technology and treatment of wood, the wood hoop is probably going to be fine in the dirability department. If you look at Johnny Craviotto for instance, he's building complete sets of drums from a single ply of wood. In the days of yore, this wouldn't hold up.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 08-29-2007, 07:04 AM
Gold Member

I just put a pair on my DW 5x14 maple snare. I personally think it adds resonance and I love the way they feel. Rim shots are sweet also.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 08-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

I've played a wood hooped birch snare for a little under two years now. A few points:

- First of all, the sound is warmer, rounder and overall "woodier" than its metal counterparts.
- They are almost as rigid as die-cast hoops, making tuning more even and stable.
- They are very durable. Countless rim-shots have left only cosmetic marks on the finish. No dents, no cracks, no splinters.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Erik Lund

I play a 3 piece Yamaha Maple Custom kit with an Elvin Jones Sig snare (so, 4 drums) all with wood hoops on top and bottom. I've had the drums and the same hoops for 8 years. They are 19 ply.

I am by no means a "basher" but I do play hard/loud for extended periods of time, and as a whole - they have stood up, but:

I had to rotate the snare a bit because the first place I was hitting after 4-5 years started splintering at the hole where the tuning rod goes through. That is the only really vulnerable place on the hoops. The inside edges of those holes are a little rough, and after years of beating started chipping away. But not to the point of worrying about the structural integrity of the hoop...Also - a bit of denting there. I rotated the snare so I was hitting another spot on the hoop and it's been fine. I also have a few plies here and there that have a very small crack on the snare hoop.

The warmth and subtle (SUBTLE) muffling action going on with them totally matches the aesthetic of what my fiberskyns/reneissance (SP?) heads are doing.

You can hear my drums well recorded at my myspace page on two tracks: Set Closer and Improv I. www.myspace.com/colonelslastwaltz - the other stuff are little demos that are not that kit (one's a casio keyboard drum sound!) I think they sound great...but I'm biased. Those are my babies!
Old 08-30-2007, 06:14 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Lund View Post
I had to rotate the snare a bit because the first place I was hitting after 4-5 years started splintering at the hole where the tuning rod goes through. That is the only really vulnerable place on the hoops. The inside edges of those holes are a little rough, and after years of beating started chipping away. But not to the point of worrying about the structural integrity of the hoop...Also - a bit of denting there. I rotated the snare so I was hitting another spot on the hoop and it's been fine. I also have a few plies here and there that have a very small crack on the snare hoop.

And nothing is going to last forever.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 08-30-2007, 06:46 AM

You can hear my drums well recorded at my myspace page on two tracks: Set Closer and Improv I. www.myspace.com/colonelslastwaltz - the other stuff are little demos that are not that kit (one's a casio keyboard drum sound!) I think they sound great...but I'm biased. Those are my babies!

woah your music really sounds like what you state it sounds like in the myspace profile.
incredibly accurate :0
Old 08-31-2007, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
I just put a pair on my DW 5x14 maple snare. I personally think it adds resonance and I love the way they feel. Rim shots are sweet also.
Exactly. I have maple hoops on my snare. Rim shots are ping-y-er, cross-sticks are phatter, and the overall sound of the drum is warmer, thicker and more resonant. Love 'em!

It is possible to dent or crack them, I don't recommend them for really heavy players. But if they're well-constructed and have a good layer of lacquer on them, they can take a pretty good beating.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:31 AM

I knew it changed the sound..
Old 09-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Erik Lund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
[i]woah your music really sounds like what you state it sounds like in the myspace profile. incredibly accurate :0

Well, I guess that means I just know what I'm all about.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:54 AM

i was just wondering, does anyone know any information on PDP woodhoops?
i know they're less expensive than Yamaha hoops and PDP's woodhoops are cheaper in price. But can someone give more information regarding how's the quality and is it really cheap to the extent that it would crack if I do a really hard rimshot? I play light in generally and in fact i rarely do very hard rimshots.

If possible i'd like to know if there's some info on the plies or the construction of the woodhoops as I was having some trouble finding information on them online.

Thanks for any info.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:32 AM
jay norem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Okay, so I've seen a lot of drums with wood hoops, but could someone explain to me exactly the difference between the wooden hoop and a metal hoop (whether it be die-cast or triple flanged)?
Sure. Wood hoops are the current fad, or were for awhile. I challenge anyone to listen to a recording of a drum kit and be able to tell whether or not the snare has wood hoops.
I don't even think they look good. Just more nonsense to get you to spend your money.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay norem View Post
Wood hoops are the current fad, or were for awhile. I challenge anyone to listen to a recording of a drum kit and be able to tell whether or not the snare has wood hoops.
I've been able to compare two identical kits; one of them is fitted with wood hoops and the other one with triple flanged steel hoops. Believe it or not, the difference in sound is quite drastic. The steel hooped tom-toms have a brighter attack and resonance, whereas their wood hooped counterparts exhibit darker, warmer, rounder and "woodier" tones. Mind you, neither one is better than the other -- they're just different sounds. Then again, a rim-shot sound on a wood hooped snare is something quite awesome...
Old 02-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

I agree. There is a tonal difference. The rim shot/taps sound very different too.

But , the way they seem to be marketed, it does seem like the flavor of the month.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
The way they seem to be marketed, it does seem like the flavor of the month.
I guess I've missed all the marketing, then. I'm yet to notice a single wood hoop ad -- not that it would have any effect on anything. I've been craving for a set of wood hooped drums ever since I got acquainted with Kumu drums...
Old 02-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Pioneer Member

I used the PDP wood hoops on my Sonor 3003 snare, the rim shots where nice and warm. I'm a bit of a heavy hitter and they held up with no problems. No issues on quality as well. I used them for about a year before I sold the kit, so for a years worth of use, under heavy hitting they did very well.

Animal Life Savers
Old 02-20-2008, 07:43 PM

Wood hoops on snare drum are more than an accesory... they involve tone in the equation...metal hoops, be it flanged or Die Cast, provide support, they are a structural piece to hold a head in place, wood hoops DO THAT plus provide tone.

As well as the noted aspects, another thing to keep in mind is that PROPERLY EVEN TUNING is a MOST... wood hoops won't break easily... but they will BEND or warp if the drum has uneven tension...

Rimshots are a lot ore musical... the outer edge of the head will have a less ringy, more focused sound, wich is great for short rimshots... PLAYING on the rims is phenomenal... you get this high pitched WOODY almost clave like sound when the sticks hit the hoop.

Another thing... if your sticks are very chipped, they might chip the hoop... sort of an abrasive effect... and if you use Ahead sticks, FORGET about it!

As far as brands... in all fairness I believe Yamaha make the best... another cool product they have is the GROOVE WEDGE wich is a PARTIAL wood hoop you attach to a drum... I LOVE IT, I use it on a 5"x10" snare drum and it beefs up the sound quite nicely.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
I agree. There is a tonal difference. The rim shot/taps sound very different too.

But , the way they seem to be marketed, it does seem like the flavor of the month.

Damn it Aydee, you've ruined my sense of elite cool now. Anyone want to buy an Anton Fig signature job, 800 quid ono.....
Old 03-01-2008, 03:27 PM

I bought a pair of wooden hoops fro my maple Yamaha snare and couldn't believe the difference it has made. The whole rum is much more resonant, louder and the cross-stick and rim-shots are huge. I would characterise the difference as bringing the whole drum to life. It sounded fine before but now it is far superior and I don't have to hit as hard to get the full tone and volume out of the drum. I play a lot of cross-stick in my main band and the sound is way better than before and, yes, you do notice it on recordings. I played a gig recently and noticed two of the audience staring at the drum for most of the night. At the end, they came up and said it was the best snare drum they'd ever heard and 'what were those strange looking wooden hoops' (you tend to get that comment a lot). I'm now looking at fitting wooden hoops to all my toms. The only negatives would be to echo the comment about the possible risk of damage if you rim shot the drum a lot over the tension rod holes - make sure the area where you rim shot the most is between the holes. The second issue concerns possible de-tuning of the tension rods. This may be because the tension rods are particularly free on my drum but I was getting a problem with the rods de-tuning too easily. I bought the Rhythm Tech Index Tension rods to cure the problem but then discovered that they only fully work on metal hoops. However, by keeping the top part of the rod and using them like a regular rod, I found that the part of the rod that is machined to lock against the ball bearings actually provides more friction on the hoop and it works. Not an ideal solution but it works. I'll get around to something better one of these days. To wrap up - the publicity over these hoops is not just hype. To my ears (and others) they make an enormous difference. Highly recommended.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

David, get some TightScrews for your detuning problems.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:55 AM

What would wooden hopes do to my Pork Pie BOB? I have Evans genera Dry on the batter, and Glass 500 on the reso... I want a fatter sound over all. The thirty strand PureSound snare wires I just bought has helped bring me closer to that, would the wood hoops do so too?