DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 08-23-2007, 04:42 AM

Default What drummer has the fastest hands+feet combo?

I'm just wondering what drummer would you guys say has the fastest feet and hands. Like if they were at the WFD and they added their number of hand strokes and feet strokes together whose would be the highest? I really have no idea. Does anyone have any ideas what drummer has the fastest feet+hands combined?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:49 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What drummer has the fastest hands+feet combo?

muhammad ali, carl lewis, macho camacho ; )
Old 08-23-2007, 07:35 AM

who cares? drumming isn't about speed, its about groove and musicality. focus on these 2 and you'll get gigs and turn heads, look at any pro or big name drummer, are they wfd champs? no. are they musical with great groove? yes.

weckl, gadd, bonham, elvin, buddy, tony, smith, chambers, peart etc............
Old 08-23-2007, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Bruce Lee probably, if he wasn't dead.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Bruce Lee probably, if he wasn't dead.
.....jackie chan, Clint Eastwood, Michael Jackson, MC Hammer.................

Last edited by aydee; 08-23-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMacs View Post
who cares? drumming isn't about speed, its about groove and musicality. focus on these 2 and you'll get gigs and turn heads, look at any pro or big name drummer, are they wfd champs? no. are they musical with great groove? yes.

Obviously King of Drums cares because he asked a simple question about it. This is a drum forum that should cover discussion on all aspects of drumming.

Hopefully anyone should feel welcome here to come and ask a question they would like answered without being shut down by people with 'groove superiority complexes'. Everyone knows that drumming isn't just about speed but it's still an important part of drumming.

If you're not going to help the guy with his question why bother answering it with a useless response that doesn't help him.

Anyway KOD, check out Jojo Mayer. He would certainly be up there with freakish hands and feet...and, of course, the ability to use it musically ;)

'Macho' Camacho? What about Meldrick Taylor?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Drumming is about whatever the heck the music requires. The end.

Look, there are a lot of classical snare drummers who would find your groove speech amusing, as well as those Indonesian Gamelon ensembles that have very little to do with righteous groovespeak.

There are already hundreds of posts on this site that discuss speed/groove and their direct relationship to musicality. Use the search button. This site was the only place this issue was discussed completely and fairly. This isn't PDF where all those catch phrases you left above go unchallenged. The discussion here actually got a fair shake, and those with your point of view had to prove their case instead of the free pass they got elsewhere.

Big name pro drummers who are WFD champs include Mike Mangini, Johnny Rabb and more will come. A couple of those guys on your list were sure as heck interested until they found out where they actually stood. That's a straight up fact.

Finally, this point needs to get straight once and for all. For some reason there is a perplexing group who believe that speed and chops are a separate issue. Without chops you don't have groove. Speed is just a byproduct of the chops issue, and true speed that can actually be used in a musical format comes from endurance, nothing else. Now somebody tell me how endurance in any way gets in the way of musicality. In fact doesn't it help?

There is a gigantic middle ground between one trick speed freaks and the Purdie shuffle. It's hardly ever one or the other, except on drum forums.

To answer the actual question, which is just a fun thing that doesn't threaten art.

Tiger Bill Meligari is officially down for 1061 hands and 1011 feet.

Mike Machine Mallais is down for 1034 feet and officially somewhere near 1060 for hands.

Mangini could probably get over 1000 for feet, but I think he's only tackled the endurance records which are the second highest feet totals for that skill. If he were over 1000 for feet, combined with his hands scores he would be the guy. Officially I'm betting it's Mike Machine. Tim Waterson has also racked up high combined numbers.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:13 PM

mike johnston. look for him on youtube. he's fast
Old 08-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Senior Consultant

I vote for Mangini. He's so far ahead of the other double bass guys with the hands that I don't think their combined scores could catch him.

No other fast double bass guy has even broken 1100 with the hands, I believe. He's at 1247.

He's also played over 13,000 singles with the feet in 15 minutes. The thing to remember about this record is that Mike simply sat down and was testing the drumometer for the WFD guys. No prep. Mike Machine, on the other hand practiced for months if not years with the specific goal of beating this record.

So what I'm saying is that if Mangini actually worked with the specific goal of being the fastest feet I think he would get it.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:36 PM

Do you mean both seperatly, or at the same time. If at the same time, do you mean right hand and right foot together, same w left. Or do you mean blastbeated as in ( R foot, R hand, L foot, L hand) like Vinnie. Curious..............T
Old 08-24-2007, 03:23 AM

Joey Jordison (Slipknot)
Old 08-24-2007, 03:32 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMrJeffx View Post
Joey Jordison (Slipknot)
...And wrong again! Not as fast as you think. When we're talking WFD, we're talking utter machines. Joey pales in comparison to what these guys do in terms of foot speed and indeed hand speed.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:56 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Joey Jordison (Slipknot)
I think its funny you put (slipknot) after his name. Im not ripping on you man, I just thought it was funny. Im pretty sure everyone on this forum knows who he is, whether they hate him or love him.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:

By the way, All this abuse about speed driven posts. Groove is very important and should never be overlooked. However. what's wrong with wanting to be fast. and seeing what the human limits are. Besides it's FUN!!!. I take what I do for a living ( playing and teaching drums ) very seriously. But what is wrong with a little fun too..........Later...
Old 08-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

Hi King Of Drums. Personally, I don't think that there is any one drummer that can be labled the fastest. The winner of the WFD contest has certain bragging rights, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he is the fastest in the world. He is the fastest of those who competed.

Take some time and research different drummers. Listen to thier sound clips and watch thier vids. There are a ton of them on DrummerWorld. It would probably take 6 months or more to research just the drummers listed on this website. Plus, I think that you would more than likely develop a greater appreciation for drummers that you may have never heard of. Along with that, you might come to find a personal answer to your question. Some people base speed strictly on BPM's. Some base thier opinions on technicalities of fills and grooves. There are different ways to judge speed.

See ya.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
Truer words have never been Spoken. Well done Matt!

And Maniac-drummer: Whaa?

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Old 08-24-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89 View Post
I think its funny you put (slipknot) after his name. Im not ripping on you man, I just thought it was funny. Im pretty sure everyone on this forum knows who he is, whether they hate him or love him.
lol Sorry....it's just...i know some people that though he plays for KoRn...
Jeff
Old 08-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
lol Sorry....it's just...i know some people that though he plays for KoRn...
Jeff
From Wikipedia:

In the summer of 2007, Jordison is going on the road with the band Korn for summer European festivals and the Family Values Tour.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:39 PM

I can't find a page on the WFD site that actually lists the records. I imagine there should be bunch of different categories: singles, doubles, paradiddles, matched grip, traditional grip, feet, 1 minute, 10 minutes, etc., etc. I don't see it spelled out clearly anywhere. So if someone can steer me to right page, feel free to let me know.

Last edited by the skin man; 08-24-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the skin man View Post
I can't find a page on the WFD site that actually lists the records. I imagine there should be bunch of different categories: singles, doubles, paradiddles, matched grip, traditional grip, feet, 1 minute, 10 minutes, etc., etc. I don't see spelled clearly anywhere. So if someone can steer me to right page, feel free to let me know.
Go to the News or Rankings or WFD TV and you should be able to find something.

Not all of the information is up to date because the world's fastest drummer website is the slowest website in the world!

http://www.worldsfastestdrummer.com
Old 08-24-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Go to the News or Rankings or WFD TV and you should be able to find something.
Here's what they list for Mike Mangini:

Quote:
Current WFD Records: Matched Grip Singles - 1,247, Bare Hands Singles - 1,138,
Traditional Grip Singles - 1,126

Here's what they list for Mike Mallais:

Quote:
60 Second Single Strokes Feet (1,034), 5 Minute Single Strokes Feet (4,595), 15 Minute Single Strokes Feet (13,309)
They don't clearly state that these are the fastest they've ever recorded, but they sort of imply it. And that doesn't list all the other things like double strokes and all that. Maybe they haven't done contests with those.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

Joey Jordison, Jason Bittner, Shannan Lucas, Tim Yeung, Chris Adler.

Satisfied???? :D

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 08-25-2007, 12:25 AM

legend has it that in the late 60's, a forty-two year old blind preacher from Alabama by the name of Baby Doc Johnson and playing with a set of sticks he carved by hand from old shipping palettes, during a Sunday morning Pentacostal service reached the all-time high of simultaneous single stroke rolls with the hands and feet - reports put the speed around 2453 bpm.

unfortunately - his head exploded 93 seconds into this supernatural display of prodigious accumen. Fearing similar reprisals from higher powers, for apparently mocking the limitations placed on the human body by it's Creator - most intelligent drummers have since willingly accepted that it just ain't right to play so fast.

So for all you speed demons out there - proceed at your own risk. I however - shall live with the knowledge that my head will remain in one piece and safely attached to my body.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the skin man View Post
Here's what they list for Mike Mangini:

Here's what they list for Mike Mallais:

They don't clearly state that these are the fastest they've ever recorded, but they sort of imply it. And that doesn't list all the other things like double strokes and all that. Maybe they haven't done contests with those.
The current WFD rankings are usually a few months behind, and you are right that all the side records are not always listed, but are from I understand submitted directly to Guiness Records. The hands rankings are admitedly in need of sight updating. But I hear that WFD is very hard at work trying to compile the final list of the top people. The rankings are now completely different. At present I can only vouch for the 1100 and above people in hands, because those scores changed a million times during the last 2 championships.

1. Mike Mangini 1247
2. Jotan Afanador 1199
3. Tom Grosset 1196
4. Matt Smith 1119
5. Art Verdi 1116
6. Daniel Rice 1108
7. Dan Barnat 1106

Then there are these other things like traditional grip where I'm 2nd 7 behind Mangini and 3 ahead of Verdi. Then you have paradiddle, double stroke, 10 seconds hands /held by Art's 220/ and endurance records. For example I was all along thinking there weren't hands endurance records. So even we aren't totally up on it although I wasn't going to claim a 5 minute endurance record unless I averaged more than 1000 bpm per minute for 5 straight minutes. Well, it turned out that an official Guiness record was already on the books and was held by Johnny Rabb. Apparently Guiness records are in the thousands of subjects and categories not always in their yearly book.

It's beginning to look like baseball stats because so many new guys like Tom Grosset, Daniel Rice and Mike Machine have been getting in lately who are freakishly good at this. These last two championships have changed everything.

The double bass records are still kinda old too except for Mike's records, which were so dramatic that I guess WFD felt they needed to hurry up and include them.

And yes these scores are the highest recorded at a championship where WFD officials were present, which 99% of the time isa NAMM world title. Otherwise there are too many ways for the scores to rise if an actual official isn't there to keep an eye on things. Most of the time its not cheating concerns as much as it is equipment issues like double triggering sensors, illegal pads etc. Of course all of us kill in private runs at home. That's why I'm sure a guy like Tom for instance thinks like me that these relaxing youtube runs at home aren't worth talking about.

Jotan Afanador is also well known to have surpassed 1200 at an event in Puerto Rico. But no WFD presence, no new ranking.

No punkdrummer, I'm not going with the patented roadrunner list. Except for Tim Yeung, who is a legit speed drumming phenom with the records to prove it, your other mentions are certainly welcome to come to NAMM and try to win either hands or feet. That's all I'm saying there.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:04 AM
mattsmith
This message has been deleted by mattsmith.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:36 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnw60 View Post
legend has it that in the late 60's, a forty-two year old blind preacher from Alabama by the name of Baby Doc Johnson and playing with a set of sticks he carved by hand from old shipping palettes, during a Sunday morning Pentacostal service reached the all-time high of simultaneous single stroke rolls with the hands and feet - reports put the speed around 2453 bpm.

unfortunately - his head exploded 93 seconds into this supernatural display of prodigious accumen. Fearing similar reprisals from higher powers, for apparently mocking the limitations placed on the human body by it's Creator - most intelligent drummers have since willingly accepted that it just ain't right to play so fast.

So for all you speed demons out there - proceed at your own risk. I however - shall live with the knowledge that my head will remain in one piece and safely attached to my body.
Damn, maybe we can get that guy from MIB in on it. His head grew back, no matter how many times Tommy Lee (wooooo) Jones shot him. Or "K" (WOOOOOO!).

This is a conspiracy.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkdrummer1 View Post
Joey Jordison, Jason Bittner, Shannan Lucas, Tim Yeung, Chris Adler.

Satisfied???? :D
Umm, no

Old 08-25-2007, 04:37 AM
Silver Member

the ones that i would think about are flo mounier, tiger bill, hellhammer, mike mangini. i dont know who is the fastest though.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:03 AM
Platinum Member

Hey Matt

How are you dude ? Do you plan to broke those records or this contest is in the past ?

Take care

A+

My Kit Latest Update
Old 08-25-2007, 05:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
Hey Matt

How are you dude ? Do you plan to broke those records or this contest is in the past ?

Take care

A+
Hey Mind,

I love working with the WFD events and all that. These last 2 NAMMs of helping with the show have been great and I have learned a lot from Boo, Craig, Mike and everybody. But this past year practicing to get ready for the contest as far as record setting goes, got harder because there were a lot of things I wanted to do with music and I really want to do more using these skills with the whole playing thing. Besides I have never practiced speed for hours a day ever. But I think to continue to break world tecords I would have to definately practice just WFD stuff a lot more.

Then there are all of the new guys who have come up lately who are really pushing and you start wondering if you want to keep this up because it only gets harder. This was especially true when Tom Grosset showed up this year and just killed, and also Daniel Rice cracked 1100.

To be honest I was relieved to be able to back off a lot and let Tom be the point man for the young guys. I've been 90% off forums in 2007 anyway. Besides he deserves it. Have you seen those videos with his high sticks and those incredible scores? He's as good at this as anybody ever has been. I had the 16 and under record for 2 years and in WFD that's an eternity. I'm totally cool with what I did.

Tom and I laughed about this transition in Austin and the 2 of us and Daniel hung out on Sixth St. alot. Let him take all that stuff on the drum forums. I joked that I would let the trolls on PDF, youtube and MX go after him for a while /kidding/. And what these bitter people never understand is that it has never been life or death for us who actually succeed at it. We support each other. It's really only obsession to guys mad about stuff we're not responsible for. People who slam the whole thing and don't see it as an educational tool are entirely clueless, and all their preaching will never change that. Besides 99% of them have never seen a WFD anyway.

And we sure don't see it as making us the best drummers, although it does make us much better drummers. But we are definately faster than those guys people love to list on forums. Take that list a few posts up. Taking Tim Yeung out of the picture because he is one of us and we respect him greatly, those others on that list would run away screaming if they tried a speed contest with Tom Grosset. And all the young guys attack the pad hard with high sticks and are still doing 1100+. So that old they all play tiny is a thing of the past. IMO on the hands side, if you take Mike Mangini out of the mix, who is still obviously the best all around, it's a totally new ballgame. The guys who get 4th place now would have won everything just 2 years ago.

I hope WFD continues to call me for NAMM and I work hard for them. I will also probably keep trying to set the endurance records because I feel that is a special skill I can always go back to without killing myself to do it. Those people have done a lot for me the past 2 years and I was glad to talk well of them because I know I gained a lot musically and personally. I think if anything a lot of WFD got much younger and if I had a part in that I was glad to do it, because that's probably the future of it anyway.

Last edited by mattsmith; 08-25-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:44 AM

simple, leeche ex blood runs black. just left. listen to my fears have become phobias (3.30m)
Old 08-26-2007, 05:15 AM

Jo Jo Mayer is a very underrated drummer for playing musically
He is more know for the push and pull technique
More drummers should check out some of his videos and see what I mean
He simply out played Tony Roster in that so called Mayer- Royster drum battle
Old 08-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey Mind,

I love working with the WFD events and all that. These last 2 NAMMs of helping with the show have been great and I have learned a lot from Boo, Craig, Mike and everybody. But this past year practicing to get ready for the contest as far as record setting goes, got harder because there were a lot of things I wanted to do with music and I really want to do more using these skills with the whole playing thing. Besides I have never practiced speed for hours a day ever. But I think to continue to break world tecords I would have to definately practice just WFD stuff a lot more.

Then there are all of the new guys who have come up lately who are really pushing and you start wondering if you want to keep this up because it only gets harder. This was especially true when Tom Grosset showed up this year and just killed, and also Daniel Rice cracked 1100.

To be honest I was relieved to be able to back off a lot and let Tom be the point man for the young guys. I've been 90% off forums in 2007 anyway. Besides he deserves it. Have you seen those videos with his high sticks and those incredible scores? He's as good at this as anybody ever has been. I had the 16 and under record for 2 years and in WFD that's an eternity. I'm totally cool with what I did.

Tom and I laughed about this transition in Austin and the 2 of us and Daniel hung out on Sixth St. alot. Let him take all that stuff on the drum forums. I joked that I would let the trolls on PDF, youtube and MX go after him for a while /kidding/. And what these bitter people never understand is that it has never been life or death for us who actually succeed at it. We support each other. It's really only obsession to guys mad about stuff we're not responsible for. People who slam the whole thing and don't see it as an educational tool are entirely clueless, and all their preaching will never change that. Besides 99% of them have never seen a WFD anyway.

And we sure don't see it as making us the best drummers, although it does make us much better drummers. But we are definately faster than those guys people love to list on forums. Take that list a few posts up. Taking Tim Yeung out of the picture because he is one of us and we respect him greatly, those others on that list would run away screaming if they tried a speed contest with Tom Grosset. And all the young guys attack the pad hard with high sticks and are still doing 1100+. So that old they all play tiny is a thing of the past. IMO on the hands side, if you take Mike Mangini out of the mix, who is still obviously the best all around, it's a totally new ballgame. The guys who get 4th place now would have won everything just 2 years ago.

I hope WFD continues to call me for NAMM and I work hard for them. I will also probably keep trying to set the endurance records because I feel that is a special skill I can always go back to without killing myself to do it. Those people have done a lot for me the past 2 years and I was glad to talk well of them because I know I gained a lot musically and personally. I think if anything a lot of WFD got much younger and if I had a part in that I was glad to do it, because that's probably the future of it anyway.

Thank's Matt for the update. I wish you the best for the future, whatever option you choose.

Take Care

A+

My Kit Latest Update
Old 08-27-2007, 12:40 AM
Pioneer Member

I think Mike Mangini's low stick height is fair enough, seeing as he's only using his wrists. Like him, I get pain from using my fingers, and I always have, so when I'm on the drumometer I keep the sticks fairly low too.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:41 AM

Umm First of all I know that groove is important! Why do people always repeat this? We all know it!!!!!! I just asked a simple question. I am not a WFD endorser, though I respect the amount of work they put in to achieve that amazing technique. I have tons of respect for drummers who play musically. I just asked a simple question. I'm just curious what the names of some drummers are who have fast hands and feet.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:46 AM

Quote:

Look, there are a lot of classical snare drummers who would find your groove speech amusing, as well as those Indonesian Gamelon ensembles that have very little to do with righteous groovespeak.

There are already hundreds of posts on this site that discuss speed/groove and their direct relationship to musicality. Use the search button. This site was the only place this issue was discussed completely and fairly. This isn't PDF where all those catch phrases you left above go unchallenged. The discussion here actually got a fair shake, and those with your point of view had to prove their case instead of the free pass they got elsewhere.

Big name pro drummers who are WFD champs include Mike Mangini, Johnny Rabb and more will come. A couple of those guys on your list were sure as heck interested until they found out where they actually stood. That's a straight up fact.

Finally, this point needs to get straight once and for all. For some reason there is a perplexing group who believe that speed and chops are a separate issue. Without chops you don't have groove. Speed is just a byproduct of the chops issue, and true speed that can actually be used in a musical format comes from endurance, nothing else. Now somebody tell me how endurance in any way gets in the way of musicality. In fact doesn't it help?

There is a gigantic middle ground between one trick speed freaks and the Purdie shuffle. It's hardly ever one or the other, except on drum forums.

To answer the actual question, which is just a fun thing that doesn't threaten art.

Mike Machine Mallais is down for 1034 feet and officially somewhere near 1060 for hands.

Mangini could probably get over 1000 for feet, but I think he's only tackled the endurance records which are the second highest feet totals for that skill. If he were over 1000 for feet, combined with his hands scores he would be the guy. Officially I'm betting it's Mike Machine. Tim Waterson has also racked up high combined numbers.
Thank you Matt! That's all I wanted to know, my curiosity is now satisfied.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:56 AM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Drums View Post
Thank you Matt! That's all I wanted to know, my curiosity is now satisfied.
Mangini hands and feet combined ...His hands are so fast the feet dont mattter that much

but if you were to test drummers at 240- 270 hands rolling followed followed by feet it would GEORGE Kollias..
If you Gave drummers one stick and one pedal it would be Art Verdi.............
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
http://timwaterson.blogspot.com/
Old 08-27-2007, 06:13 AM
mattsmith
This message has been deleted by mattsmith.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I agree with everything in Tim's post ^^^^^^ especially Art with the one hand.
Ditto. I just cannot comprehend hitting 220 in ten seconds. And George K is insane. The new Nile album kicked ass.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:33 AM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Mangini could probably get over 1000 for feet, but I think he's only tackled the endurance records which are the second highest feet totals for that skill. If he were over 1000 for feet, combined with his hands scores he would be the guy. Officially I'm betting it's Mike Machine.

Tim Waterson has also racked up high combined numbers.

FYI ....My Highest hands score at a WFD event was 1070 and BOO would NOT allow it as I was doing push pull triplets..The disadvantage of doing things first as Now Both Tigerbill and Jeff have won drumkits using the same technique......Bad timming on my part....
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
http://timwaterson.blogspot.com/
Old 08-31-2007, 02:32 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Waterson View Post
FYI ....My Highest hands score at a WFD event was 1070 and BOO would NOT allow it as I was doing push pull triplets..The disadvantage of doing things first as Now Both Tigerbill and Jeff have won drumkits using the same technique......Bad timming on my part....
Haha, unlucky Tim! 20 characters

Old 09-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Hi King Of Drums. Personally, I don't think that there is any one drummer that can be labled the fastest. The winner of the WFD contest has certain bragging rights, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he is the fastest in the world. He is the fastest of those who competed.
You serve up an interesting post, and I probably agree with a lot of it. But just to be a friendly devil's advocate for minute.

We could say the same about an Olympic 100 meter champion, not that the two share the same level of importance. Don't you know there are guys all over the world /maybe a hundred or more/ who are actually faster than the current 100 meter world record holder? Yet the Olympic champion gets the gold. Why? Because he actually exerted the effort to make the case. This also applies to this little piece of athletic drumming skill. Yeah, it's a small slice of the whole thing, but let's not be so dismissive of credit where credit is due.

Tom Grosset is the latest case in point. This guy practiced like a madman perfecting a motion that would not only make him among the fastest small handful of drummers in the world, but a better all around drummer in years to come. It wasn't just about speed, but it sure made him fast. His work ethic alone, and his courage to fly to Texas as an unknown and do this on the big stage like he did was special and doesn't deserve an asterik because we're supposed to wait for the latest favorite to step up. I know there are is that element that says great drummers would never do this, so we will really never know. But I'm not so sure anymore. My dad says that Buddy Rich was obsessed about stuff like this and that Louie Bellson took pride in his speed issues too, even though both knew it wasn't everything. I am very sure Rich would have done this had it been around when he was alive. I don't think he could have resisited it.

You know I used to ask a lot of these same questions myself. But this year especially has gone a long way to justify, at least in my mind that the WFD bragging right is more valid than originally supposed. It's not just the guys who compete, it's now the tens of thousands of speed guys who along with the little kids, and strange people have flown in from all over the world to compete over the last several years. I've been watching this closely for 2 years now, and after seven years 7 guys have made it to 1100 with hands and 3 made it to 1000 with feet. And when you watch guys like Tom, Mangini, Daniel, Art, Mike Machine and Tim, you see something that doesn't occur except on the rarest ocassions. For instance Daniel Rice has never won a WFD, but if any big name drummer who has never done this thinks he's faster than Daniel in any hand speed context, he's more than welcome to try and prove that point. That's how convinced I am now.

However, I did not say better...I said faster. Better is a completely different issue.

I've been to 4 NAMM world titles now, and you see the big guys come by all the time to watch. You can just see how some of them edge up to the stage with a quick thought of doing it, then back off. Sure, they're going to say they only came to watch and Boo's going to take their picture, but I know a lot of them seriously thought about it because for all their protests if they have the skills to be fast, they would love to prove it but aren't so sure they can. You also have some very famous chops drummers who did try it and people are sworn to never say anything because it didn't turn out so well.

No, when I saw Tom Grosset go up there and just shred mid 1100s the first time he ever got on stage without even a warmup, I knew that at least for that moment there was nobody in the world faster than that. With that in mind, I also agree with your unknowns thought/ regarding speed/ with many WFD guys in mind.

Last edited by mattsmith; 09-01-2007 at 08:53 AM.