DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Thomas Lang

Once again a review of the clinic I went to by the shop hosting it with better pictures and full detailed specs of his X-Ray kit.

http://only1music.co.uk/HTML/NewsPages/TLClinic.aspx

And that's me in the top picture giving the ole thumbs up.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:32 PM

I have his DVD and watch it quite a bit for inspiration to get me to practice the technical stuff more. He has absolutely mastered so many aspects of the instrument. I also thinks that he sounds much smoother in his approach than some of the other "drum shredders."

Having said that, I still can't get through watching his clinic solo from the bonus features. I have tried to get through it three times now and I just can't do it! It just goes on and on and on and on.

That aside, I love his playing. We need guys like him to come in and kick our butts now and then. It's not about being competitive, it's about being the best we can all be!
Old 10-24-2006, 12:19 PM

Well his new DVD has just been set to be released in NOV - details are now on hudson - 3 dvd's, 7hrs of footage...3 kits (one electronic)...i cant wait :)
Old 11-08-2006, 10:47 PM

as of today thefirst preview video clip is online on hudson = check it out - nice left hand action :)
Old 11-18-2006, 06:07 PM

Thomas lang has no right to call him self "lazy by nature"

he's a beast!

very cool stuff =]
Old 11-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Pioneer Member

I haven't watched the sample clips of the new dvd yet ... I'm about to ... but I really wonder what he has left to cover after his last dvd!
Old 11-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Here's the first Drummerworld Sample:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/t...copensolo.html

enjoy

Bernhard
Old 11-19-2006, 02:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post

enjoy

Bernhard
Wow thanks Bernhard!

My Cerebellum is tired, now.

;)
Old 11-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

enjoy

Bernhard
The man is simply amazing. Thanks Bernhard.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Synthetik

In addition to the mind-blowing playing,
That has to be the best sounding acrylic kit I have ever heard.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetik View Post
In addition to the mind-blowing playing,
That has to be the best sounding acrylic kit I have ever heard.
I agree. Ive played some acrylic kits and they dont even come close. His setup looks great too. And his playing is just mind blowing..
Old 11-29-2006, 11:18 AM
Gold Member

Here's what i don't get. How did he find the time necessary to practice as much as he did? I can barely score an hour or two these days..
Old 12-02-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
Here's what i don't get. How did he find the time necessary to practice as much as he did? I can barely score an hour or two these days..
Anyone can make the time if they try hard enough. He's an incredibly motivated guy, knew exactly what he wanted and put in the hours to get there. I knew a guy who used to live with him back when he was just another london drummer - it's simple, he did exactly what he said he did, practiced for hours and hours every day working through every possible combination and speed of everything.

To be honest, I'm not half as amazed by how he put the time into his playing as the fact he found time to get to know and marry a girl as well! Imagine if whenever you were at home you were practicing - there's plenty of hours in the day if you're prepared to find them and use them like that. I'm not though - I like to do other stuff as well so I balance my time to fit in other things I like instead.

Nowadays, I imagine doing 200+ clinics per year is enough to keep him progressing even if he didn't touch a kit outside of that!
Old 12-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Senior Consultant

Just got the new video and it's amazing!!!

Creative Control was more of a "show off" video. This new one breaks it all down and gives you organized systems to develop high level pedal techniques and coordination.

The "Matrix" is the most organized method of developing interdepndence that I have ever come across. If you've finished "The New Breed" then this could be a great next step.

The pedal stuff is state of the art, it opens up a whole new way of looking at the role of the feet in modern kit playing.

I've got some work to do!!!

PS: He also comes across pretty well in the video. He makes jokes, screws around, plays with his boys. Normal guy stuff as opposed to the introverted weirdness that one might come to expect from such a technical master.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
Vienna Conservatory. You have to audition to get in. (Sorta like auditiong for Berklee College of Music or Juilliard Music School.) It helps being in a focused environment during the critical development years.

Here is the PDF of audition requirements at Juilliard:
http://www.juilliard.edu/pdf/MusicAu...mentsLinks.pdf

You can check out the "percussion" section. Btw, Julliard also requires the ability to play Beethoven's 5th on your double-bass pedal. I can't do that, therefore, I'm not good enough to get accepted.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Technique Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
Just got the new video and it's amazing!!!

Creative Control was more of a "show off" video. This new one breaks it all down and gives you organized systems to develop high level pedal techniques and coordination.

The "Matrix" is the most organized method of developing interdepndence that I have ever come across. If you've finished "The New Breed" then this could be a great next step.

The pedal stuff is state of the art, it opens up a whole new way of looking at the role of the feet in modern kit playing.

I've got some work to do!!!

PS: He also comes across pretty well in the video. He makes jokes, screws around, plays with his boys. Normal guy stuff as opposed to the introverted weirdness that one might come to expect from such a technical master.
I agree completely with your review Jeff. Creative control was a DVD that you watched at 2 in the morning when you just wanted to watch someone play mad drums until you got sleepy (kind of like the Drumbassadors DVD). I dont really know many people who actually used any kind of methods or systems he used from CC but it sure was one heck of a doozy chops-wise.

It seems to me that every complaint I had about the first DVD has been solved. This one has methods that normal non-superhuman beings can do without 7 hour practice days.

That does NOT mean however that this stuff is easy. I'm on the "3rd dimension" of his Matrix system and WOW is it rough. But what is interesting is that the coordination between my four limbs is growing exponentially. Especially the left foot which we all know we can use some work on (especially me!). I can now do all those 2:3 son clave patterns that have had me bashing my head against the wall for years.

Disc 1 seems to be a crash course in all the foot madness contained in Creative Control. But again, its more organized, its more step-by-step, and its much more accesible this time around. How many of you skipped around Creative Control looking for things that you could actually play and work on? I did that a lot, but there isnt much here that causes that kind of jumping around on the menus. With this DVD one actually gets the sense that they CAN do this stuff.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
I dont understand something about this DVD though. It seems to me in the vids on his page of the exercises, that he was using all of his pedals. And he has like 30 on his set. I have a double bass pedal, and a hi hat pedal. It seems like this would be kinda usless to me unless i had all his stuff. Does he go about helping people with less pedals?
you have two legs, so the minimum pedals required = 2 to complete all the exercises he shows!

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 12-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Senior Consultant

RE: Multiple pedal setups

One of the main points that Thomas makes in this video is that he feels that Buddy and Co. have essentially said it all already when it comes to hands. In his opinion, the cutting edge of drumming techniques are happening with the feet. Accented double stroke rolls on kick drums, multi-pedal orchestration etc.

So, naturally, he is going to break out all of his gear and show us some really cutting-edge techniques. It is a DRUM video, after all. The point is not how many pedals you have, The point is to develop your feet to the same level as your hands and to be able to coordinate the whole mess.

The concept of accented doubles and odd stroke rolls in 4/4 alone are worth the price of the video. I have my work for the next year cut out for me.

If Thomas flowed as smoothly as Dom Famualro he'd be untouchable. I have to say that he uses a pretty muscle-oriented technique and he must be absorbing alot of stick shock that way. It bothers me to see his huge forearms tensing up to play a single stroke roll. I wonder what his "Purdie" shuffle sounds like?
Old 12-09-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
And yes, obviously we have a differnet view on what is needless on a drumset. If you ask me, anything is needles that goes further than a bassdrum, a snare drum, three toms (better two) and cymbals/bells/hats. Maybe a second snare but that is like the total maximum of stuff.

In that regard we are back to TL now, because I think that there is obviously a lot of needless stuff on his set. And you can trust me that I am a huge fan of Thomas - but that does not mean I have to like anything he does and anything he attaches to his drumset.
This point-of-view gets into the big-kit/small-kit discussion...

Some drummers approach the kit as a complex polyphonic instrument. They instinctively think of the drumset as a xylophone. This leads to adding a high number of surfaces to hit to reproduce the complexity they hear in their head. A 20-piece kit may be needed to realize this "xylophone" expression. They want to expess multi-layered orchestrations or pseudo melodies on the drumset. This is the Bozzio, Lang, Peart, etc perspective.

But some drummers see the kit as a simpler timekeeping device -- with lots of space and air between each strike (each rythmic accent or event). They are communicating a "heartbeat" with a few subdivisions of that heartbeat to mix things up a bit. This is the Ringo Starr, Charlie Watts, etc perspective.

Both approaches are absolutely valid. Now, the only way people are going to reconcile this difference and be respectful of both approaches is if they feel that those drummers listed above are born to approach the drumset the way they do.

Think of it as a coincidence that the "xylophone" drummers and the "heartbeat" drummers happen to use some of the same equipment: drum shells + cymbals . Because their equipment use overlaps, some of us are fooled into thinking that drummer A should do what drummer B does (or vice versa). Some drummers blend a little bit of both (Vinnie C) which confuses folks even more about which type of drummer is "normal" vs "over the top". All of this is irrelevant.

I believe Thomas Lang plays a complex drumset because that's how he naturally and intrinsically expresses himself. He has no desire to play 3 minutes of a simple 4/4 beat (at least on the DVDs). I also believe Ringo Starr plays a 4-piece because that's what he naturally hears in his head to express himself. Ringo has no motivation to play polyrhythmic ostinatos or 50 different surfaces. Some people talk fast when they speak, some talk slower. Some people fidget quite a bit sitting around in the waiting room for the dentist; while others are more laid back. People don't seem to understand that these differences in human idiosyncracies get translated to playing a drumset. It's not all training, peer pressure, or ignorance that people play differently on a drumset!

I see what both guys are all about. I respect what both guys are about. I truly enjoy & appreciate how they both express themselves. Why do you guys have to make this to be an either/or situation?!?!
Old 12-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Chip

Haha, that was good! When he started to sing... it was something like Jim Carrey would do. You're a lucky man, Bernhard.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Founder Drummerworld

No, Thomas doesnt need a big Drumset to "Rumble in the Jungle"

Check out the new video: Waiting at the Airport for Flight AA 1802 ...and enjoy:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/t...ngairport.html

Bernhard
Attached Images

Last edited by Bernhard; 12-10-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:04 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:

Yeah, but did he really need that second chair on his left? That seemed a bit excessive y'know, he could probably have done all of that with one...
Old 12-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins View Post
Yeah, but did he really need that second chair on his left? That seemed a bit excessive y'know, he could probably have done all of that with one...
Now, when you say it - and I'm thinking about it: yes!!!! you're right, darn....

B.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Pioneer Member

lol nice new sig Lutz.

Yea awesome vid Bernhard, this dvd looks really awesome, showing all these sorts off clips, (like the one where hes just relaxing in the medow) putting this sort of footage on a dvd is really awesome. The ending is cool, this DVD he just seems to be alot more 'human'..then it goes to him behind the kit...But really hes showing humor, the singing part is great at the end, so unexpected.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:02 PM

Thank you Bernhard. Enough is enough. It was pretty funny though...

Now back to Lang.

So, extreme independence is what we are talking about with Mr. Lang. I'd like to see him learn how to play the piano. The most extreme independence possible would be the following:

1. Legs of Mr. Lang.
2. Play a midi-enabled keyboard with hands. Each key is a different sampled drum/cymbal. Learn complete independence across the fingers.
3. Put it all together

Advanced piano playing has some extreme independence across fingers/hands that make what we do on drums seem trivial. So, if you can put all of this together I think you'd take it to the max.

This independence is what a organist does already with both hands and feet. But, doing it with sampled drums sounds would be very cool. You could probably convert a concert organ to use sampled drums sounds on both the pedals and keys. Now that would be cool.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:46 PM
Pioneer Member

Well he can play a bit of piano i think. Theres a bit of him playing at the intro on the first dvd, although his piano technique...he has the whole pointer fingers thing going.lol But another Thomas Lang a bit before his time (our Thomas) was a famous pianist, i dont know too much about him though. Hmm i found his page on Wikipedia the other day now i cant find any trace...Theres some other artistic Thomas Langs though.

Last edited by Latin Groover; 12-23-2006 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Thomas Lang

In my opinion one of the greatest drummers to roam this earth he is full of great beats and rolls and he always has an intresting kit........ i think he is great what about u guys...
Old 08-23-2007, 01:27 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Thomas lang

Ahh hes got mad chops and independence like a mofo but his grooves and feel just isn't there.

BTW I think there is a thread already started, if not I'm surprised there hasn't(I'm to lazy to search)
Old 08-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Erik Lund

He is a computer controlled robot from the future in terms of technique. Unfortunately I think his musicality comes from the same 5 seconds of drowsiness I get when I'm drunkenly about to fall asleep...Totally awufl, IMO. The music he plays is completely unlistenable...
Old 08-31-2007, 04:45 PM

Well hope this won't get too negative...

I admire Lang for his exceptional coordination and technique skills. He is also very impressive drummer.

But I'm not fan of his music either. He has played with Roby Williams so I guess he isn't totally grooveless. Still, his compositions get boring quiet soon and that's strange considering that he use so many entertaming elements in his music. Ears get tired of chops' abundance. Maybe he is too generous with coordination and technique stuff that usually amazes people. Jojo or Jabo, for example, don't drown listeners with it. They keep everything real tight and then just in the right momet- ''BOOM'' knocks you out :)

Anyway deepest RESPECT towards Thomas Lang. 40 years of work work WORK...
Old 08-31-2007, 08:49 PM

Thomas Lang is the Arnold Schwarzenegger of drumming (and not only because he is Austrian).
Old 08-31-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumbasta View Post
Thomas Lang is the Arnold Schwarzenegger of drumming (and not only because he is Austrian).
You're right Plus he looks very strong anyway :)
Old 08-31-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumbasta View Post
He mentions this as his greatest asset in his autobiography.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:34 AM

Thomas Lang... What can anyone say about the guy that really has not been said before... The guys tech'q, indep, stick trix, what more can anyone else say other than this guy is AMAZING... True to the words of, one of a kind...
BUT I do have to agree with some of the other guys who said there really is no feeling... And its true...
I thing Lang is amazing, but he is way too much to play soft and slow and just give a simple groove... The guy is everywhere and thats why you see him at all the clinics and promotional events he is sponsored by...
Some of the players that we all look up to and everything when we were growing up, can honestly not play like Lang, His trix, independance, techniques, BUT they had the flow and skill of musicians playing to the music...
I know that Thomas Lang is probably one of everyones favorit drummer, but come on, compare a groove between Gadd and Lang... Then you will know what I mean by feeling and putting your soul into the song, rather than performing at superhuman speed and indi!
Old 09-04-2007, 01:26 AM

No feel or musicality? His playing in his latest DVD is mindblowing. He turned BLAST BEATS into something musical for crying out loud. Maybe his older stuff has less feel to it, but I really thought his playing on his latest DVD was out of this world. He also seems like a really laid back, easy to talk to guy from the way he comes off in his DVD. Unlike the impression I get from a lot of the extremely advanced technical drummers that play things just for the sake of playing them and have the personalities of rocks, Thomas seems like a really chill guy that dosen't walk around acting as if he is Gods gift to drumming and finds a way to make the incredibly technical fit into his music. I personally take much more of a liking to drummers that are more relatable to, Thomas being one of them for me.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Lund View Post
He is a computer controlled robot from the future in terms of technique. Unfortunately I think his musicality comes from the same 5 seconds of drowsiness I get when I'm drunkenly about to fall asleep...Totally awufl, IMO. The music he plays is completely unlistenable...
A little harsh there Erik? Not to your tastes admitted, but extremely good technicaly; I checked out the guys that you recommended to me and found them passionate but not to my taste but couldn't describe them as awful!
I'm very biased where Thomas is concerned, I met him at the tail end of DrummerLive at the Dolbear stand and we had a coffee and a great chat; we listened to my p*sspoor cover of 'Wipeout!' on a laptop and Thomas was extremely flattering about my 'work', so at least we know he has great taste LMBFAO!!
I think that we all have our favourites and sometimes dismiss others, Thomas is an exceptional musician and we could learn a lot without being fans of his.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLarkin20 View Post
No feel or musicality? His playing in his latest DVD is mindblowing. He turned BLAST BEATS into something musical for crying out loud. Maybe his older stuff has less feel to it, but I really thought his playing on his latest DVD was out of this world. He also seems like a really laid back, easy to talk to guy from the way he comes off in his DVD. Unlike the impression I get from a lot of the extremely advanced technical drummers that play things just for the sake of playing them and have the personalities of rocks, Thomas seems like a really chill guy that dosen't walk around acting as if he is Gods gift to drumming and finds a way to make the incredibly technical fit into his music. I personally take much more of a liking to drummers that are more relatable to, Thomas being one of them for me.
Acctualy I haven't seen his latest stuff.
Yes he looks very humble and nice guy and his techniqual abbilities are fantastic.
Musical taste is always subjective thing. I personally don't see him as my main influence especially for grooves. That of course doesn't mean that for other guy he can't be the Groove-God.
On the other hand there are drummers who are considered great groovers by majority of listeners like Steve Gadd, Jabo Starks etc. Why do so many people agree that X drummer is groove master, thought maybe not techniqual one, while Y isn't. These X drummers can make beat very captivating. In Lang's playing I hear captivating speed, control, coordination and overall sound but not so much beat itself. I'm sure that Lang didn't want to follow Gadd's path and he made decision to work a lot on those things he can do brilliantly today. Certanly I admire him a lot just for different qualities. Every one can learn something valuable from pro drummer.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:00 PM

Thomas Lang is surely one of the greatest drummers around. He is athletic and musical at the same time. the only thing I can say is that sometimes he gets too much on the athletic side but nothing else. He is simply fantastic one of the most technical drummers.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Pioneer Member

Deep pocket groove.

http://www.westcoastdrums.com/thlasirokit.html
Old 09-04-2007, 07:09 PM

Nope have not seen his new DVD.
I can surely say the guy seems down to earth. On MySpace I wrote him a message and he got back to me. I know that does not say much, but honestly its just good to see a drummer on his level so down to earth with everyone else!

As far as his drumming, I will say it again, they guy can do anything and everything. I think a drummer like Lang and Portnoy and so many more out there, are just so good they dont even know it.