DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 05-01-2006, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Thomas Lang

just saw his solo .. awesome! but why the funk does have 5 pedals? i can understand why he has three of the pedals.. not the two others..

edit.. i just found out why.. impressive ....
Old 05-02-2006, 02:24 PM

Thomas Lang is one of the most amazing drummers around. The level of independence he has achieved with his feet alone is astonishing. Some may not like his style, but to imply he cannot groove is simply ignorant. Lang could play anything he wanted to play.

Waterjet
Old 05-02-2006, 03:31 PM

I just bought the Creative Control dvd and it's exactly what I needed at this point in an instuctional dvd. If I can get 5% of what he's doing i'll be pleased.
In the video he talk's about math not always being musical and that developing a high level of technique make's the more simple groove's easier to play. I believe he can groove his a** off but I would like to hear him live in a musical setting.
Once again, the dvd is an instructional one with the entire focus being on technique so keep this in mind if you buy it. For me being in my 4th month of learning double kick it is the perfect instructional video and has already helped my left foot endurance.
Just buy it,
Mike
Old 05-02-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drums558
I just bought the Creative Control dvd and it's exactly what I needed at this point in an instuctional dvd. If I can get 5% of what he's doing i'll be pleased.
In the video he talk's about math not always being musical and that developing a high level of technique make's the more simple groove's easier to play. I believe he can groove his a** off but I would like to hear him live in a musical setting.
Once again, the dvd is an instructional one with the entire focus being on technique so keep this in mind if you buy it. For me being in my 4th month of learning double kick it is the perfect instructional video and has already helped my left foot endurance.
Just buy it,
Mike
I completely agree Mike. This DVD is about blinding technique. It's so true that learning even a small percentage of this stuff makes simple grooves simpler to play. I'm sure he can groove with the best of them but why would he want to put simple (ish) grooves in an instructional dvd. That sort of stuff can be learnt from listening to the radio (well maybe not, but you get my point).

Lang is awesome. I hear he spent a couple of years getting lessons off the great Vinnie Colaiuta. If this is true, I can't see him not being able to groove ridiculously well., as Vinnie can do ANYTHING!!!! ANYTHING!!!!
Old 05-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Pioneer Member

I've heard Thomas Lang has relocated from London to LA. I'm really hoping now that he's in LA that we'll get some decent music from him. Like an interesting sideproject, or gigs at the Baked Potato. I have enourmous respect for his techincal ability and his dedication. But, until he puts out some music that I personally like, or that I can at least appreciate, I won't consider him one of the 'greats'.

On a techincal level it's fine to compare him to some of the other clinician 'Gladiators' like Mangini, Marco, Virgil, as well as Vinnie, Weckl, Gadd. But IMO he's done nothing musically that will make me consider him as a 'great'. I understand why he does the session work, like Sugababes or Pop Idol tours. He's got a young family, needs to pay the bills like everyone etc. But loads of top drummers have a 'day job', or a big source of income. And they use this to fund their musical exploits. I realise the money is in session work, but I wish he'd get a band together, and really stretch out techincally and musically. Dave Weckl has his (awesome) band, Dennis Chambers has his solo records, Steve Smith has Vital Information, Virgil has Planet X, Vinnie has ... well, pretty much anything he's ever done!

IMO Lang's international reputation has been achieved solely through clinics and drum festivals. Which is fine to an extent, but you've got to wonder if he's satisfied doing the fake, commerical, bland session work and clinics. I'm still hoping for a killer band from him. I'd love it if he puts together a brilliant lineup, and stuns the drum world on a musical basis.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:39 AM

Thomas Lang is the greatest drummer on earth. period. Only people who come close in technical perfection is Virgil Donati and Marco Minneman and maybe Mike Mangini.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:15 AM

I like Thomas Lang, but I'm not a fan of him. I know his a great drummer and all but hi's missing something. I think he no feeling...I don't know.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:10 AM

has anyone seen his stick tricks?they're amazing, i saw him recently and was impressed by him, his style does not exactly suit mine but from what i can see he really does know what he's doing and talking bout
Old 08-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Gold Member

Default Help! Thomas Lang Masterclass..

Hey,

On thomas lang's upcoming clinic tour, he's playing one masterclass for twelve people. I've been offered an 'advance' ticket to get in, but I'm terrified. I'm not particularly well knowledged in theory.

I really don't want to miss out on what could be an amazing, one-of-a-kind experience..but I don't wan't to get there and find all the stuff is completely above my ability and feel incredibly embarrassed. Can anyone give me any advice? I doubt I have much time for any one of those 12 tickets.

Thanks,
tom
Old 08-16-2006, 01:24 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Default Re: Help! Thomas Lang Masterclass..

Eh, do it.

If there's one thing I got from music school it was an absolute absence of fear of looking like a fool. I was in a group above where I should have been because of scheduling issues, so I was quite comfortable being the worst in the class and would regularly volunteer to play first because of it... It doesn't kill you, and you learn plenty.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Tell him you're a Drummerworld Forum Member and give him some greetings from B.

Hope, this will help...

Bernhard
Old 08-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
Eh, do it.

If there's one thing I got from music school it was an absolute absence of fear of looking like a fool. I was in a group above where I should have been because of scheduling issues, so I was quite comfortable being the worst in the class and would regularly volunteer to play first because of it... It doesn't kill you, and you learn plenty.
Thanks for that quick response finn. I know it won't kill me, but I'm worried, I'll be that simple rock drummer lost in a sea of 5-foot ostinato's. Oh well, i'll see what I can do.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard
Tell him you're a Drummerworld Forum Member and give him some greetings from B.

Hope, this will help...

Bernhard
Haha. Will do, Bernhard.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Senior Consultant

Do it!!!

Don't worry, alot of the stuff that he does is beyond most people's abilities. Just observe his technique and learn from him, that's what the class is for.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Chip

Be grateful that you get to go!!! It's verely rare that I actually meet another drummer, let alone get a chance to see at least a semi-famous drummer, meeting a player of his calibre... wow.

Who cares if you are in over your head?! There's nothing you can do but sit and watch in awe and try to comprehend it, or you may well comprehend it. My advice; GO!

Good luck with the MasterClass.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:43 PM

I agree with all the other responses on here - don't worry about it. However...

If you are worried, us telling you not to be probably wont help much - why not have more of a look at the stuff he's doing between now and the clinic - watch the relavent bits of his DVD if you have it, have a look on this site and on youtube for more clips of him and try to analyse what he's doing a little more. I'm not saying anything he does is easy at all, but all that rhythmic stuff is just a question of listening and there'll be some slower or simpler bits that'll lead you in to knowing more what he's doing. You'll probably get a lot more out of the clinic anyway if you have an idea what to be looking for.

Good luck!

Martin
Old 08-16-2006, 03:52 PM

Dude if nothing else it will be an inspiration. TL is a fantastic drummer (IMHOP) and has always been SUPER inspiring both times I've seen him play clinics. Also very freindly and easy to talk to. Go for it, and consider yourself lucky you're getting to see him in such an intimate setting.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Pioneer Member

Don't you dare miss this opportunity!!!

No matter what your level, or how advanced the class, you will get something out of it ... besides the chance to watch a master up-close and personal!!

And of course, we'll be waiting for the complete report!!
Old 08-16-2006, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat
Hey,

On thomas lang's upcoming clinic tour, he's playing one masterclass for twelve people. I've been offered an 'advance' ticket to get in, but I'm terrified. I'm not particularly well knowledged in theory.

I really don't want to miss out on what could be an amazing, one-of-a-kind experience..but I don't wan't to get there and find all the stuff is completely above my ability and feel incredibly embarrassed. Can anyone give me any advice? I doubt I have much time for any one of those 12 tickets.

Thanks,
tom
Hey if you don't know it you don't know it but afterwards you may know it,no such thing as a dumb question. In all the years I've been playing I still get nervous playing in front of a master drummer just can't get help it. Just try to absorb as much as possible.good luck you will do just fine
Old 08-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Silver Member

Ahhhh - GO!
Why does it matter what your level is compared to others...

Bottom line is YOU will probably leave the session with atleast one new cool lick to add to your bag of tricks...

Isn't that all that really matters.....
Old 09-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Gold Member

Default Went to a Thomas Lang Clinic last night..

And dear god, I nearly wept. What an experience.

To be honest, I was never a big Lang fan to begin with, but I still thought he was a fantastic drummer (Who doesn't?) and plus a mate of mine, who offered to drive, is Lang nut. Luckily, we got there pretty early, and managed to second row seats right in the middle, in a crowd of about 350+. First on was a man on his home turf, Dewie Young who played with his band, and he was fantastic. His band had a great jazzy/funk/fusion-y feel, and were all very accomplished musicians considering there wasn't a patch of facial hair in the bunch. Young grooved really hard and had some very tasty licks.

Next up was the winner of Mike Dolbear's 'Young Drummer Of the Year' award for 2006 James Birt. James played a short solo and along to some tracks of his. Great player, busting out some 32nd notes up and down toms. But as you would expect from a recognised young player, it was all a bit of a chops display, which isn't really my bag. Cool all the same, his Black Panther snare nearly destroyed my ears though.

Finally, was the cyborg himself, sporting a denim, sleeveless, fleece-lined jacket (?!) and some wrap-around shades, he was off. Starting with three newly composed tracks by himself, from the new DVD. All three were insane, it was almost hard to follow, so much going on. All three were some near metal/industrial type music, with some unexpectedly matched million pedal ostinato stuff. Thomas then went on to perform a solo for the best part of an hour - and he absolutely shredded that custom Designer X-Ray. I had no idea he was such an animal, he thrashes his cymbals, obviously not without technique, but it was one hell of an exciting display. His control over his limbs is unbelievable, until you see it in person. There were so many moments that just left my jaw on the ground, the most memorable for me, was one groove where he played doubles at some ridiculous speed between his left hand on a piccolo snare and left foot on a 'floor' marching snare. He then went on to do some 8th patterns with his right hand on some x-hats, and then added a backbeat with his right foot doing some patterns on his main kick, while the left was still going.

Post one (of two) standing ovation(s), he answered a few questions. The usual cropped up, he talked about his influences, and then of course the immortal question, 'Mr Lang..what about your foot technique?' and he was off, for about half an hour discussing it, great stuff. Now short of time, Thomas played 2 more songs, one up tempo metal number (blast beats and everything) and one 'schnappy' layered groove number, aptly named 'Layer Cake'. And that was it, he left the stage humbly and everyone just cheered/screamed in awe.

I certainly left that building a huge Lang fan. While I considered most his playing a little too mechanical for my ears on video or record, watching him live is a completely different story. His controlled power and ability just made the room explode. I have never seen anything like it, he is amazing in the truest sense of the word. I couldn't justify his playing here, I can only urge you to go along to see one of his clinics. Overall, it was one of the best I have ever been to, down to his amazing display of independence (Definitely not human), technique, speed, power and great character when it came to teaching.

The best moment of the evening, however, was during the Q&A - where some guy asked (Lang is pretty ripped..but you would be too, with his practice regime) 'How much do you bench?'

Thomas replied 'I don't bench, I'm just genetically blessed.'

*Pictures to come, hopefully..
Old 09-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Went to a Thomas Lang Clinic last night..

Great, I am glad you had a good time. I only watched his video so far, I liked it it was pretty cool.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:11 PM

His DVD is like that, I had a buddy watch it with me, we laughed for about half of it just because; I'm sure you know the feeling. I love the term cyborg, fits him perfectly. He is certainly one of the best! Please put some pictures up, I'd love to see them...

Z
Old 09-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Technique Expert

I saw him awhile ago a little after his first DVD came out, and you're right, there's a HUGE difference between what you see on the tv screen, and what you experience live. My ex-fiance (be strong-not gonna cry) and I got there early and got a seat about 10 feet from the kit. The crowd was small, I'd guess about 50 people, so there was more intimacy in the relationship between performer and audience (laugh at that if you want but you know what I mean). After the clinic he hung out with everyone, signed autographs, took pictures, all the usual stuff. Even took a few minutes to talk to me about the business. I got a pic, its on my wishlist page.

All in all, very good show, great performer.
Can't wait for the next DVD.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Gold Member

I'll try and get some pictures soon, I forgot my camera..can you believe that? So they'll be from my friends 2mp phone camera.

I believe he did signing after the show, but i'd rather not wait that long for just a signature. Rather meet him in a less crowded environment.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:38 PM

i feel ya. lang is the man.

there seems to be a coalition of drummers out there who diss him at every turn, saying he's too this or too that, but i say it's jealousy.

the guy is incredible and clearly a shedhead.

my first exposure to him was at a modern drummer festival. no one knew who he was, but by the time he ended, the entire room was on its feet. everyone was blown away. i was sitting with some pretty heavy players, and they also conceded his major talent.

it don't hurt that he makes good eye candy, too.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:39 PM

Thats awesome, I'd love to see him live. He is literaly amazing at times, just unbelievable
Old 09-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Gold Member

Sounds like a great experience. Lang is not only a monster player, but a monster of a guy, too. He's HUGE!
Old 09-09-2006, 03:21 AM

WOW, very good thread. I'm not a big Lang fan but I'll try to become a fan ASAP hahaha! That guy has the most important charasteristic of a musician... he's humble and that's good enough for me. I know his a monster player, I love his technique and the way he explains stuff.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:59 AM
Pioneer Member

I saw him 2 years ago in Maine. I was blown away with his playing about 2 minutes into the clinic.

And after listening to him explain his technique and watch him tackle multiple time signatures at once, My Brain ached.

The guy was amazing, and humble too.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 09-09-2006, 05:22 AM
Technique Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoggrocks
it don't hurt that he makes good eye candy, too.
Lang's was the only drum DVD that my fiance would gladly watch with me. I would be drooling at the drumming and she would be drooling at his arms. As a result we watched that DVD quite a bit.
This may sound kind of freakish, but you know how some couples might watch an adult movie to liven up the mood a bit... That's all I'm going to say, use your imagination. HA

One time I had on the Steve Smith DVD, and she came home from work and saw it. He had that killer Hawaiian shirt on and spoke in that gentle if not dainty way of his. Her comment was: "I bet he'd be fun to go shopping with." How observant, I thought.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp132
One time I had on the Steve Smith DVD, and she came home from work and saw it. He had that killer Hawaiian shirt on and spoke in that gentle if not dainty way of his. Her comment was: "I bet he'd be fun to go shopping with." How observant, I thought.

That is awesome.

After meeting him in person, I'm not sure. But still, funny as hell to think about. He is human anyway(I think) and he must go shopping sometimes.

www.myspace.com/booksteindrums
www.myspace.com/neverknowsbestisart
Old 09-10-2006, 05:03 AM
Pioneer Member

Geez i really want to see him now in a clinic. That "how much do you bench" part mustve been pretty funny. I cant wait until he comes into D.C.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:10 AM
Platinum Member

Lang is Swedish, Ja?
I saw him do a workshop in July, and I concur with everything Topcat has said. The guy is a nut, and tv/dvd/etc just does not do him justice. He played that "Layer Cake" song as well, damn I wish I had something even barely resembling his level of coordination and independence. We also heard a few of his "I don't need to work out" type comments. He's a pretty funny guy, I'll give him that, but he certainly is not human.

Biz
Old 09-10-2006, 05:24 PM

firstly lang is austrian, secondly i went to see him a week ago in clinic and he was amazing.

we got in and the young drummer of the year played, great drummer, you described him brilliantly, the overall solo's did nothing realy for me but i could still apreatiate him.
Lang on the other hand blew me away, im not a fan of the whole metal thing but he does it so well a total one minded "i hate metal drumming" person would have to appreatiate it. His indipendance and amazingly technical playing is not shown fully on the clips on this site, you literaly have to see and hear him with your own eyes and ears to believe it!
im so glad i went, i never loved his playing as much as i should have before i saw him in the flesh, and muscle of which there is alot!

best quotes from the night....thomas was explaining to the ordiance that drumming is very competative but its not all, im better at playing fast chops and awesome solo style one bar fills that dont go with the music, and he happend to say even if it was such a race...."even if it was like that, id win anyway"

the next was a drunk guy from the ordiance asked him how long hed been playing, and he replied something along the lines of thirty years, and added that he started at five.....the drunk then shouted in awe and stupidity...."YOUR FIFTY!?!?!?!"
Old 09-22-2006, 08:39 AM

Watching Thomas Lang play, for me, builds up two feelings: inspiration and self-hatred. I mean, how does somebody get that good? Just looking at him play, it's the face of discipline.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:11 AM
Gold Member

If anyone's interested, there some of the Lang clinic pics here at a mate of mines photopic site, sorry for the quality, he only had his phone-camera

http://nullified.fotopic.net/c1089909_1.html
Old 09-24-2006, 04:24 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Rumour has it that Lang's performance at the MD fest this year turned a few heads, and will do so even more when the DVD comes out. Bye bye Terminator, hello musician or something of the sort. I'm sure Jeff will explain further when he gets around to it, he was there...
Old 09-26-2006, 12:43 PM

Yeah - the fact he performed with a percussionist at the festival is unique for Thomas......cant wait to see the performance. By the way did anyone download the first of the two videos Roland had on their site of Thomas playing the electric drums - if so can you email it to me.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 10-01-2006, 10:11 PM

Does anybody know if there are some albums where i can find thomas lang on?

Thanks,