DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Thinshells

Default Re: Thomas Lang

Through incredible skill, intense practice and an iron will, Thomas Lang seems to be able to perform any feat he wants to behind a kit.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:30 PM

I'll bet Thomas Lang can come close to or up to Art Verdi and Johnny Rabb with the drum o meter
This dude is amazing
Old 11-08-2005, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatman
I'll bet Thomas Lang can come close to or up to Art Verdi and Johnny Rabb with the drum o meter
This dude is amazing
Art and Johnny have done some amazing things on the Drumometer and at WFD, but by the smile on Thomas' face and by Boo's 'EVIL' grin (I have seen this patented grin and that notorious gleam in Boo's eyes many times) something is definately brewing.

From looking at that photo, all that comes to mind is Sherlock Holmes saying "Come On Watson, The Games A Foot!"

Craig's harder to figure out, but believe me something big is going to take place!

They don't called them 'The Corn-Bred Mafia' for nothing!

TD

Last edited by ThomasDee; 11-08-2005 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:11 PM

I agree Thomas Lang is superb, I've just bought his creative control DVDs, the only thing I don't like (call me old fashioned) is he uses imho way too much double bass drum.. however he does this superbly and its amazing what he does, its just too much sometimes if that makes sense..
Old 11-08-2005, 11:19 PM

And he's just so DAMN good looking !!!!

Not that I care :)
Old 11-09-2005, 06:05 AM

Lang is freagin amazing. Cant wait to see what this is about.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:56 PM

Is he in the WFD? he will break all the records
Old 11-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

I love his multiple pedal orchestrations. Great drummer, because when i watch him, it always makes me go back and practice some more.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:49 PM

I would love to be able to see Thomas Lang, hes my 3rd fave drummer, After Virgil Donati and Dave Lombardo. I doubt there will be a clinic in the UK though.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:17 AM

Default Thomas Lang song "777"

Theres a song on the Thomas Lang DVD in the bonus footage called "777". I would like someone if they would please tab or write this song out for me please!...I really want to learn it but Im just not at the level to tab things yet....Well thanx alot. Later!
Old 11-20-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Thomas Lang song "777"

Does anyone at least know what the bands name is? And please someone tab or write it out for me. Well I gtg but thanx alot.!!!! LATER SKATER,
Old 11-22-2005, 04:56 AM

So today I looked at the post and nobody had posted anything. SO I tried doing it myself and after about 6 hours I got a head acre and said screw it. I didnt even get the first beat down. But atleast I tried. lol. So and comments or tabs would be nice....later!
Old 11-23-2005, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_the_drummer
So today I looked at the post and nobody had posted anything. SO I tried doing it myself and after about 6 hours I got a head acre and said screw it. I didnt even get the first beat down. But atleast I tried. lol. So and comments or tabs would be nice....later!
Keep on practicing until u get it !...
Old 11-26-2005, 08:51 PM

I saw Thomas playing in rotterdam and it was really amazing what he did. it was the same clinic from the videos on meinlcymbals.com but the solo part is a little different and it was one solo for about 30 minutes
Old 12-26-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Thomas Lang DVD

Hey i went to a mates house the other day and watched his Thomas Lang DVD, or the first disc anyway.(Over 5hrs!) And the first excercise is a hand warm-up one but i was wondering how it is played. (Ive only been playing 1.75yr) Is it constant eight notes with just the accent changing like this
RlrlrlRlrlrlRlrlrlRlrLrlRlrLrlrlrLrlrlrLrlrlrLrlRlrLrl then repeat

or is it eight notes in 6/8 then 3 triplets or what the hell is it, and when practicing it how would you set the metronome?

Last edited by Latin/Afro-Cuban Groover; 12-27-2005 at 03:27 AM.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Thomas Lang DVD

Can anyone help?
Please.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Senior Consultant

The big "3" over the nine notes of beat fourindicate that it is to be played as a triplet. This triplet is then further subdivided into one triplet for each of the three notes in beat four.

He's doing 8 notes per beat for the first three beats then nine notes on the fourth beat (this turns the hands around so that it starts next time on the left)

Try counting this as a preliminary step: 1e+a 2e+a 3e+a 4TL (3 beats of 16ths and one beat of eigth note triplet). Play with a click. You will have to slow down to play the three in time

Next step would be to double the speed of the 16ths so they become 32nd's (beats 1-3)

Final step would be to subdivide the eigth note triplet (beat 4)into 123 T23 L23 You're tripling the triplets!! 1 T L

It may sound hard but the thing to remember is that the feel switches from a 2 feel to a 3 feel and back

Go back and listen to him doing it over and over. I believe there are also files on the discs which can play the exercises slowly for you as well.

Good luck
Old 12-27-2005, 03:26 AM

Can anyone explain it easier. Sorry i didnt really understand that.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Im seeing it as 3 bars of eighth notes then 3 eighth note triplets. So it would be just short of four bar excercise. So what time sig would that be in?

Quote:
Try counting this as a preliminary step: 1e+a 2e+a 3e+a 4TL (3 beats of 16ths and one beat of eigth note triplet). Play with a click. You will have to slow down to play the three in time
But that would make the triplets slower than the other beats and they r faster, rn't they, or should i watch it again.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:48 AM

i used to have this. here. i believe this is what you want. he's basically squeezing 9 notes in where there used to be eight
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Ex01-05.pdf (32.2 KB, 580 views)
Old 12-27-2005, 09:33 AM

I'm always working on that. I'm able to get it up to the 100bpm while applying the drumset orchestration. It's hard to keep it even for a long time. I guess it's building the proficiency. There's so much good stuff on those dvds.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:24 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashbash
i used to have this. here. i believe this is what you want. he's basically squeezing 9 notes in where there used to be eight
I cant read that yet, i just re-installed my comp. All i have is notepad!

Drummin Dan how do u set the metronome when doing this.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:49 PM

Check out the new clip at Meinl site from the 2005 Meinl Drum Fest - Part 3e

I'm not sure how much more he can do. 3 minutes in (with the foot octoban), and about 5 minutes in (playing two seperate beats over ostinato). There's no measure to his ability.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:12 PM

saw him at the modern drummer festival a few years back and the entire place was blown away. he received 2 standing ovations, which can be rare at that event.

beyond the superchops stuff, which is truly mindboggling, i was taken with his musicality. he certainly knows how to show restraint as well as fire.

also really like his attitude/personality. you can tell [or at least, it really seemed to me] that he does this for the pure love of music and drumming, not ego or winning a wfd championship. i got really inspired after seeing him do his thing.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Hitman

I met Thomas Lang at NAMM, he is indeed one of the coolest, nicest drummers I've ever met, and he just blows my mind everytime I see him play.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:20 PM

i saw him at the waterfront in norwich and he was soooooooooooooooo good he was the first drummer i saw live and as the waterfront is so small he was about 3 metres away (and that was if you were at the back)
Old 02-20-2006, 11:39 PM

Thomas Lang is amazing drummer. I love his style.
I have a question though; I watched his video on drummerworld.com , and I was wondering if anyone knows how to tune a floor tom like he does. If you know, please tell me.

- Marc
Old 02-21-2006, 12:53 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambian89
Thomas Lang is amazing drummer. I love his style.
I have a question though; I watched his video on drummerworld.com , and I was wondering if anyone knows how to tune a floor tom like he does. If you know, please tell me.

- Marc
The best would be to give Rob Wallis and Paul Siegel of Hudson Music a call - they fix the Sound best possible - and make great DVD's.

No serious: Just loose the heads as much as possible - but live it's never the same...

Bernhard
Old 02-21-2006, 01:56 AM

Are you sure that I should just loosen them a lot? I think the sound might be kinda...bad. I try it and tell you what happens.

- Marc
Old 03-07-2006, 07:34 PM

thomas is definatly one of my, if not my favourite drummer. his skill and technique is incredible, and whats even more great is he uses what he shows off in his dvds etc, when playing songs, with bands, etc.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Senior Consultant

Thomas Lang completely changed my perception of what is possible with double bass.

Absolutely sick!!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambian89
Are you sure that I should just loosen them a lot? I think the sound might be kinda...bad. I try it and tell you what happens.

- Marc
They must still sound a little bit - but so low that just first wrinkles appear. Sound is kinda bad, but fine for recording.....it's true, was done like that.

Bernhard
Old 03-08-2006, 05:32 PM

Hello,

I admire Thomas Lang for his speed and technique but I find him cold, without heat or taste. I have a dvd where a clip of him is just before Nathaniel Townsley's and man, Nat's playing is so warm and beautiful. He's an amazing drummer but I do find him tasteless.

Take care.

Buddy Rich is my hero ! ;-)
Old 03-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Stu_Strib

I agree with Aurelien. Until I hear a song he plays on that doesn't make me want to hit STOP it is hard to give someone so much praise.

I have his DVD and it is a great instructional DVD with sick drumming on it. I just want to hear him play music though.

Any listening suggestions? (please don't recommend the stuff he plays on the Creative Control DVD)
Old 03-08-2006, 10:51 PM

Thomas Lang is one of my favorite drummers. His technique is so inspiring as it shows us what can be done behind the kit. I totally disagree with players who find his playing to be without feel. But a person's style is totally subjective when it comes to what one gravtitates towards. For example, I find nothing appealing about drummers such as Steve Gadd, Dave Weckl and at times even the great Vinnie Colaiuta but would never say that they aren't amazing drummers. Plus, you have to give respect for their stellar careers.

Thomas Lang's DVD is also phenomenal in not just what he's doing but also what you get for the price. The only other videos I have that I felt gave me a lot of quality were the ones by Bobby Rock. I've seen so many videos, especially those over priced Modern Drummer ones that are good but sorry, 40 minutes for $30, that's a rip off! And those are the VHS versions!

Finally, he's actually replied to some of my emails so I have to show him some love and appreciation!
Old 03-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Any listening suggestions?
Well I guess you could try some B*Witched, or Ronan Keating maybe. Both had some great songs.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:24 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Thomas Lang video

Check out this Thomas Lang video. UNBELIEVABLE!! This guy is from another world. I've never seen a solo like this before.

http://www.meinlcymbals.com/events/i...g_Part_03g.wmv
Old 03-10-2006, 05:28 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Thomas Lang video

oh yeah!!! Tom Lang is possibly the best drummer alive.... I think the cover of hie DVD should look like the cover of The Terminator ( with one red eye ) the guys a flippin machine
Old 05-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Silver Member

I just got that Ultimate Drum Fest #11 and I must say Thomas Lang was incredible - first time I've sen him extensively...His footwork and independence was out of this world....

However as incredible as he was I started getting bored....He didn't do much groovin using mostly the crazy foot ostinatos with alot of DB fills....after a while it all just sounded like a really fast drum machine...

Anyways can anyone recommend something muiscal that hes appeared on...maybe in a non-clinician setting I might appreciate it more.....
Old 05-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearDrummer
after a while it all just sounded like a really fast drum machine...
Well spotted: that's what he is.

Quote:
Anyways can anyone recommend something muiscal that hes appeared on...maybe in a non-clinician setting I might appreciate it more.....
Doubt it.