DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-19-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Evans snare heads

So I wanted to change up my snare setup with new heads and try getting a better sound. I bought a few different heads to try. I bought a 6.5 mil evans reso head and a really super thin hazy reso head and for the top I got a EC2 coated batter. Well it sounds like a big wet turd with all those different combinations. I ended up using the thin wet reso head with my old beat up factory head and it sounds the best. So at this point either I know nothing about tuning or my snare shell is a pile of junk! I cant seem to get that snare "crack" that other people do with quality drums. Even with the heads cranked pretty tight it gets a thud sound instead of a higher pitched attack sound.

What kind of evans heads are you cats using on your snares?? I only ask because using good quality heads should make for a good sound if tuned right. I tuned each head slowly to correct pitch and made sure every head was in tune with itself but apparently none of that helped. So if anyone has any good advice on the subject Id be glad to hear opinions.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Evans snare heads

Evans G1 coated batter
Hazy 300 reso.
Your snare will sound fantastic.

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Old 08-19-2007, 11:00 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateplow View Post
Evans G1 coated batter
Hazy 300 reso.
Your snare will sound fantastic.
You can't go wrong with this combination. I also suggest the Evans Power Center Reverse Dot. Your biggest problem is that you put a coated EC2 as your snare batter. If you want a similar head but one that is designed for a snare, get the EC Reverse Dot Snare Head.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:37 AM

I like the G1 Genera myself. It cuts down on the ring a little bit and sounds great tuned up high.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

I use the EC Reverse Dot on my aux snare (PDP Maple 14 x 5) with a Hazy 300 and it works well when tuned to get a nice crack. Sometimes it sounds like a much smaller drum. I use the EC coated (with a Hazy 300) for my main snare (Mapex M Birch 14 x 5.5) and I have tuned a little fat so it is not super sensitive, but it could be. Bottomline: I have been extemely pleased with these heads - much better than the Emporers I replaced.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 08-21-2007, 09:34 PM

I use ec reverse dot, power center, and G2's depending the snare and the desired sound.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:04 PM

Whats odd is on my particular snare drum the stock head sounds phenomenally better than the EC2 coated head did. The hazy 200 is super thin and I expect to get a much wetter sound than before but it barely changed. I think bottom line is my cheap drum has bum strings and the combination of a crappy shell and bad strings is making it hopeless. It used to sound so good with the stock heads but now its untunable heh. Its always something ya know!
Old 08-22-2007, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo6 View Post
Whats odd is on my particular snare drum the stock head sounds phenomenally better than the EC2 coated head did.
I've never liked the EC2 coated snare head...

There are much better and cheaper heads!
Old 08-22-2007, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
I've never liked the EC2 coated snare head...

There are much better and cheaper heads!

Okay then, tell me what they are so I can go buy them! :D The only thing cheap that I could think to try would be something like an ambassador or coated pinstripe.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:46 AM
Guinness

I use the Genera Dry batter with a Hazy 300 Reso and find this combination very satisfying. The Genera Dry head really takes out the ring and leaves you with a "dry" attack.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Pioneer Member

I've had at least 15 different snares during the past two years and I've tried a ton of different head, hoop, and wire, combinations. I think it could be broken down into two main categories. A live sound, and a studio/recording sound.

For live I tend to gravitate towards the Evans Power Center Reverse Dot. I've had good luck with G1s, and a J1. The J1 was super loud, but being a jazz head it wasn't very durable. I've also tried the ST and ST dry. The Super Tough sounded good. I've used both the 200 and 300 weight reso heads and both worked well. The 200 being a little brighter. For Live a 20 strand wire let's the bottom head breath a little more than the wide wires.

I've recorded with this set up and for some types of music it would be fine. I've been micing both heads with Shure SM57s. The sound can be manipulated by adjusting the balance between the two mics. For more attack I run the top head hotter than the reso. To tone down the attack I run the reso mic hotter than the batter side mic.

I'd been messing around with a 5X 14 DW brass drum for the past few weeks. I started with a PCRD batter, a 200 reso and the stock DW wires. Die cast hoop on the batter side. It sounded a little harsh for some things. The half time shuffle for example with the ghosted middle triplet sounded awful. The ghosted notes didn't blend in with the hi hat very well. The ghost notes were too pronounced.

Then I tried a Genera Dry and a flanged hoop and that mellowed the drum down some. Next I tried a Pure Sound 30 strand wire and that tamed down the reso side of the drum. It sounds like a wood drum on the recording.

I set up DW 5.5 X 13 solid last night with a G1 batter, 300 reso, 30 strand wire, and die cast hoops. Probably a good live sound, but after messing with it this morning the G1 came off a little rude. I'll be trying a Genera Dry on it later today.

Needless to say, messing with this stuff can be time consuming and expensive, but it can be rewarding and some times frustrating. Sometimes I learn what will work and a lot of the time I learn what won't, but either way it's a good learning experience.