DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #241  
Old 11-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Erik Lund
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

The Jets are playing the Sharks this week. It's a dance-off at center field.
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 11-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Jeff Almeyda's Avatar
Jeff Almeyda Jeff Almeyda is offline
Senior Consultant
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,106
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
It's ok, grocery! ;-)

It's possible 2 people can be missing the point. And you just happen to be one of them.

Uhh...Sorry! With all due respect, of course!

And I'm not worried about what a Patriots', bandwagon jumpin', fan(atic) thinks. (nhzoso)

Really I'm not...


Happy Thanksgiving! :-)
Michael,

There are only 4 major sports leagues in the US. Look around and tell which of the other 3 is more competitive than the NFL.

Take MLB, for example. It is impossible for the KC Royals to generate even a fraction of the royalties that teams like The Yanks, Mets and Red Sox generate. There is no salary cap. The game is regionalized, there is no profit-sharing of TV revenues. Hell, the big teams have their own NETWORKS now.

Last year A-Rod made just about as much money as the ENTIRE Florida Marlins. If that doesn't point out the inequities in the game then nothing will.

The NFL teams that can't keep up with the Patriots are just being beaten, it's that simple. There are no inherent inequities in the structure of the sport that prevent small market teams from competing with large market teams. The profit-sharing and hard cap take care of that. So it IS competitive in that everyone has the same financial wherewithal at the outset. If the Pats or anyone else win it's because they made better decisions, have better players, got lucky or whatever. It's NOT because the league is non-competitive.

Also, please do me the favor of replying to this post in a civil tone. I find your writing style to be unnecessarily confrontational and I don't want this to degrade into simple name-calling.
__________________
Either you have a purpose behind your expression... or you don't.
JoJo Mayer
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 11-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Erik Lund
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

"Also, please do me the favor of replying to this post in a civil tone. I find your writing style to be unnecessarily confrontational and I don't want this to degrade into simple name-calling."


Here, here!
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 11-26-2007, 05:37 AM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

WOW that was way too close. Not used to that this year. Philly may have a QB controversy knowing how their season has been going. Great game plan by the Eagles.
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 11-26-2007, 05:56 AM
Guinness
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

No joke! That was a nail biter. At least Dallas will have some good film to analyze before they go and woop up on the Pats in the Super Bowl...:-)
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 11-27-2007, 12:56 AM
LinearDrummer's Avatar
LinearDrummer LinearDrummer is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 930
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
WOW that was way too close. Not used to that this year. Philly may have a QB controversy knowing how their season has been going. Great game plan by the Eagles.
Ahhh yes the Mighy Pats have some holes in their armour....
Fisrt time in my life I've ever cheered for Philly while watching a game :D

Cowboys and Packers will be the game of the year.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat
Sometimes I wish that the sport had true international credentials to see players like him out of the US, but it's never going to catch on in the UK because we're more akin to watching (and playing in my case) Rugby (Union and League), which is a much more fluid game than American Football.
You were one of the guys who tried to explain rugby to me in another thread, and I appreciated that however I just don't see the same speed and athleticism as the NFL....

Just goes to show that some sports you have to grow-up watching and play as a youngsta to appreciate more than others....
__________________
My babies -
Big Yamaha - Baby Roland - Lil Rodgers
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 11-27-2007, 01:05 AM
TheGroceryman TheGroceryman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 641
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Uhh... can someone fill me in on why the Pats didnt dominate the Eagles? Cause, unfortunately i couldnt watch the game and dont know much about what happened in the game except that it came to the wire and eventually the eagles qb threw a horrible throw in the endzone that got picked off.

How bout them colts huh? thats what we like to see.
__________________
"Defeat is crowned by Success, Only if you Persist."
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 11-27-2007, 01:16 AM
LinearDrummer's Avatar
LinearDrummer LinearDrummer is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 930
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGroceryman View Post
Uhh... can someone fill me in on why the Pats didnt dominate the Eagles? Cause, unfortunately i couldnt watch the game and dont know much about what happened in the game except that it came to the wire and eventually the eagles qb threw a horrible throw in the endzone that got picked off.

How bout them colts huh? thats what we like to see.

Heres a quick summary -

On defense Philly mixed up its blitz schemes using Linebackers and DBs and was able to pressure Brady....
On offense Philly ran alot of In-routs over the middle to counter the Pats cover2 defensive scheme that takes away the outside routs.....

But what really helped Philly is that 22 point spread - largest one in NFL history I think...
They were pissed off, felt disrespected and just flat out came to brawl.....
__________________
My babies -
Big Yamaha - Baby Roland - Lil Rodgers
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 11-27-2007, 03:33 PM
michael drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Ehh...


The Eagles played over their heads. And the Pats took 'em too lightly.

It's as simple as that, really.


Oh, sorry...uhhh...I've been away for a while for Thanksgiving! Hope everyone had a nice one!

Hey, Erik. Glad to see you haven't lost a beat...


uhhhh....WHATEVER!
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 11-27-2007, 11:50 PM
cnw60's Avatar
cnw60 cnw60 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: AVL
Posts: 461
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

yep - it's too bad the NFL's not more competitive. Jeez, when a 5-6 team from the junior conference takes the invincible Pats (at Foxboro on top of everything else) down to the wire....

what's that phrase again - 'on any given Sunday'...??? Of course this game might just cinch the unbeaten season. After a reality check like that - it might be tough to catch them napping again.
__________________
"practice, practice - all things are coming" Sri K. Pattabhi Jois
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 11-28-2007, 12:30 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearDrummer View Post

You were one of the guys who tried to explain rugby to me in another thread, and I appreciated that however I just don't see the same speed and athleticism as the NFL....

Just goes to show that some sports you have to grow-up watching and play as a youngsta to appreciate more than others....
What you've got to bear in mind with the Rugby players as opposed to the NFL players is that they are doing basically the same high-impact plays as in the NFL, but constantly without breaks for forty minutes at a time. Whereas American Football has breaks for each attempt at the line, Rugby doesn't. It's much more relentless.
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 11-28-2007, 01:02 AM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Rugby is tough but the same high impact plays??? No way!!!

The NFL is much quicker which made it more high impact. You are not getting hit by guys who are winded from running for 30 minutes straight you are getting whacked by well rested guys who are bigger, quicker, and because of pads feel more invinceable.


Alot of uninformed people think it's not as hard because they wear pads when in fact it has the exact opposite affect. If you were running full speed at a guy bigger than you I bet you would let up a little just before impact because you know you have a better chance on getting hurt, nothing bad thats just instinct. But if you had pads on you remove much of that fear and are more likely to not worry about injury to yourself, even though it is a false sense of security most of the time.

Don't they pretty much take small breaks when they are all bunched up in a circle? I watched rugby once and that was the most boring thing to see, I was like' do something already. That was awhile ago so maybe I need to watch it again, I did have a good time. There is just not an opportunity to watch it as much here and I really don't know enough about it, which is why I don't go into rugby threads.

But anyway like I said before has a guy ever been paralyzed playing rugby?? No, so there is no way it can be as high impact. hard, tough, crazy.....yes but not as high impact.
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 11-28-2007, 01:20 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Believe me, people have been paralysed playing Rugby. I've nearly been hospitalised before after a bad encounter with a ruck nearly resulted in me breaking my neck. Luckily I got away with it; just. American Football players are bigger, yes and the pads do make them hit harder, yes; but believe me, being hit by somebody who is eighteen stone right in the gut running full pelt without pads really does hurt. And I've done it to a few people in my time as well. The pads were first worn by American Football players were introduced in the early twentieth century as a reaction to six deaths in a single season. Anybody who knows more historically is more than welcome to correct me.

There are deaths in Rugby too. Rules have been introduced in the last couple of years after youth players (under twenty usually) were killed after sustaining heavy concussion one week and playing the next, and as a direct result of head injuries sustained playing. It is every bit as dangerous. One match I went to see when I was fifteen (and the players were all a year younger than me) resulted in the Air Ambulance landing on the field after one player was dropped onto his head and knocked out, potentially causing brain and nerve damage. Rugby has also been around longer; there are deaths and critical injuries caused during the game so to claim that nobody has ever been paralysed is just plain incorrect.

The headguards you see Rugby players wearing do not offer much protection. I play without any pads now, but I used to play with a basic set of shoulder pads and they actually reduced my effectiveness as a tackler.

There are short breaks in play, but the play is only broken up by infringement and dead ball; not by territory gain. It's apples and oranges and your preference lies elsewhere, that's fair enough and I'm not here to debate personal preference. Believe me, the breaks you do get really don't count towards anything. The scrum is brutal and takes every ounce of strength to actually get moving; so that can hardly be considered a break either.

That's not to take anything away from American Football players at all. I have every respect for them as athletes and as sportsmen, the games are different but actually fundamentally very similar. In the end, there really aren't many rules changes between the games. Only a small number of reasonably fundamental rules are actually different; stopping of play and the ability to pass forward for example. Even the ball is similarly shaped. Really (and this is meant in no way offensively) the two sports really reflect two sides of the same coin.

You're welcome in the Rugby threads, I have no issue with discussing Rugby or American Football.
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 11-28-2007, 01:40 AM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Fair enough, I hope to see a rugby game in the future. I will probably have to go to europe, it's not big here but in Hawaii it's huge. Thats where I saw the 1 game and let me tell you there were some huge guys playing, most were Samoans and Tongans and they did not seem right in the head. Had a great time though just wish I knew more about it at the time because I had no idea what was going on, I just loved the hitting.
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 11-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Jeff Almeyda's Avatar
Jeff Almeyda Jeff Almeyda is offline
Senior Consultant
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,106
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Rugby is ROUGH, man. If I had to rank the "toughness" of team sports it would be:

1: American Football
2: Rugby, hockey (tie)
3: Everything else.

Let's put it this way: An inexperienced person would get KILLED doing any of the top 3 with a bunch of advanced guys.
__________________
Either you have a purpose behind your expression... or you don't.
JoJo Mayer
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 11-28-2007, 04:24 PM
mattsmith's Avatar
mattsmith mattsmith is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,911
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

What the rugby guys don't understand is how American football is entirely choreographed and synchronized violence. You wear the pads because the speeds are faster and the hits are harder, because you actually stop the game to regroup and plan each sychronized attack to be as abusive as possible so as to create the clearest path for the ball to travel. You pinpoint your hits. You know who your one man is and you go after his individual weakness whether its a lack of speed or a big bruise on his leg. It's pretty wicked actually.

That much honed in planning of course doesn't happen in a more fluid game like rugby, and that lack of fluidity is probably the one weakness of American football. But you absolutely cannot say that even 5 minutes of continuous rugby is as rough as one play of our stuff. Now if the rugby guys were to hit their guys, then run over to the field for a few seconds to plan who they were going to specifically attack, then yeah there would probably be crippled rugby players all over the field. I think each sport is probably equal in its way. You just trade off one strength or weakness for another.

When my old man came back from South Africa last year, he brought back videos of the South African team playing these guys called the All Blacks from New Zealand. Wow was all I could say. No offense to European rugby, but that Southern Hemisphere stuff seemed like a totally different level. It was beautiful to watch, and you've gotta love that drop kick. They used to do that all the time in the early days of American football, and I wish they would bring it back. But most NFL coaches especially would consider drop kicks too disruptive to the tight plan and never use it.

Actually my vote for most violent sport would be American kids who try to play rugby like American football. It's a much slower game but the impacts are quite severe with all those high impact NFL style tackles going on without pads. Around here, they've actually banned some high school rugby leagues because of the injuries that are caused by American guys not really understanding the nuances that those who grow up with it understand.
__________________
I endorse Zildjian sticks because I like them.
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 11-28-2007, 05:17 PM
jonescrusher's Avatar
jonescrusher jonescrusher is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,176
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Hurling beats all other sports for sheer violence.....no, wait, ozzie rules...

Last edited by jonescrusher; 11-28-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 11-29-2007, 12:01 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Hurling and Aussie Rules are absolutely brutal as well, especially Hurling. I've never seen so much blood!

Actually, you all raise some good points. Synchronised hits in the way American Football players play would be highly violent and dangerous; I'm starting to understand the level of physicality involved here and ultimately the differences equal out. It's also interesting that you mention the North/South divide, Matt. There's been a lot of debate about this for years and it boils down to the fact that Southern teams were professional at least a decade before the Northern teams were. Rugby Union was only made professional in England just over a decade ago! Rugby League is a different matter, that's been professional for at least twenty or so years. I forget the exact dates; but the Southern teams generally do have a more flowing style of the game. England played 'Anti-Rugby' this World Cup, keeping the ball in close and rarely handing it to the backs. This is not the style that Southern teams play, they prefer the flowing and beautiful game. England are not easy to watch, but they ARE effective once they start working. The World Cup showed that; you don't get to the final by fluke alone.

There's a reason that South Africa and the All Blacks (the New Zealand national team) are ranked as two of the top sides in the World. Along with Australia and now interestingly Argentina they are considered some of the best. France and England are probably the two most successful Northern teams but aren't the same to watch. ANY South Sea Island team (Tonga, Samoa, Fiji) are great to watch, they won't win often, but they always put in a hard, physical performance. And those guys are HUGE.
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 11-29-2007, 02:17 AM
michael drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Uhhh...

No thanks, guys. I'll stick to "watching" football and playing golf. ;-)


Hee...hee...


Play On!... Golf, that is. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 11-29-2007, 06:02 PM
LinearDrummer's Avatar
LinearDrummer LinearDrummer is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 930
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
What the rugby guys don't understand is how American football is entirely choreographed and synchronized violence. You wear the pads because the speeds are faster and the hits are harder, because you actually stop the game to regroup and plan each sychronized attack to be as abusive as possible so as to create the clearest path for the ball to travel. You pinpoint your hits. You know who your one man is and you go after his individual weakness whether its a lack of speed or a big bruise on his leg. It's pretty wicked actually.
Couldn't have said it better....

I think we all agree you gotta be a tough SOB to play either rugby or football....

Just some of us like the way a certain one is choriographed....
__________________
My babies -
Big Yamaha - Baby Roland - Lil Rodgers
Reply With Quote
  #261  
Old 11-30-2007, 01:18 AM
TheGroceryman TheGroceryman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 641
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Well.... to get back on topic of American Football, I cant wait for the Boys-Packers game to start! Ah its gonna be the most meaningful game of the year. Personally Im rooting for the Packers. Favre is playing as if hes getting younger and their defensive line always having fresh guys (they cycle through like 8 or so really good d linemen), I think they can pressure romo enough to force some bad decisions.
__________________
"Defeat is crowned by Success, Only if you Persist."
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 11-30-2007, 01:30 AM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGroceryman View Post
Well.... to get back on topic of American Football, I cant wait for the Boys-Packers game to start! Ah its gonna be the most meaningful game of the year. Personally Im rooting for the Packers. Favre is playing as if hes getting younger and their defensive line always having fresh guys (they cycle through like 8 or so really good d linemen), I think they can pressure romo enough to force some bad decisions.

Yeah should be a great game but I won't be able to watch it because it's on the NFL network and my cable company does not carry it.

How friggin greedy can these NFL owners get, Now they want their own friggin station? I love the NFL and all but seriously the NFL network 24/7??

Much of the appeal is knowing I can only watch it from sept. through feb. is anyone gonna watch Football in the summer?? I know I won't and just about everyone I know will not either so I don;t get it. What are they gonna so show a bunch of old superbowl's and hall of fame indoc's...pleeease who wants to sit in the house on a nice spring day and watch that?

I am probably missing something here but I don't think that station will make it. And I am a little peeved at the NFL for using the fans to do their work for them so we all call our local cable company's and tell them we want the NFL network and they do not have to market themselves like everyone else.
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 11-30-2007, 01:54 AM
LinearDrummer's Avatar
LinearDrummer LinearDrummer is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 930
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
How friggin greedy can these NFL owners get, Now they want their own friggin station? I love the NFL and all but seriously the NFL network 24/7??

I am probably missing something here but I don't think that station will make it. And I am a little peeved at the NFL for using the fans to do their work for them so we all call our local cable company's and tell them we want the NFL network and they do not have to market themselves like everyone else.

Actually the NFL network is tha bomb!
I mean its everything a football junkie like me wants....

And I think there its a tug-o-war between cable and the NFL channel - not the NFL 's greed....Time Warner wants to control it and have it as a regional upgrade and they want a bigger piece of the revenue....NFL network wants to remain its own entity and contract it out to the cable....and trust me the NFL network ain't gonna flop...

I'm probably not explaining very good but from what I read its the cable company's greed....
All this drama started when Time Warner took over....it was originally going to be available for standard cable....

If I'm wrong please enlighten.....
__________________
My babies -
Big Yamaha - Baby Roland - Lil Rodgers
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 12-04-2007, 11:52 AM
milkbetweenorangejuice's Avatar
milkbetweenorangejuice milkbetweenorangejuice is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Home of the 13 month summer
Posts: 42
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Holding? What a bunch of crap. The Pats got calls all night long. The shouldn't need the officials' help to win games.
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 12-04-2007, 01:39 PM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

WOW what a game. Not looking good for the Pats next week against Pitt. but atleast they will be at home.

Milk what play specifically are you talking about? Because I thought the Ravens were getting a bunch of No calls all game. I saw atleast 3 holding calls that were not called when they were on offense. I find it hard to believe they could have that many running plays and not one single holding call??

I honestly did not see any bad calls that went the Pats way, Maybe the TD call in the end zone but that was very close. Definetly not enough evidence to reverse the call.

The Ravens showed why they are 4-8 by imploding at the end of the game. I have never seen a team kick off from the receiving teams 35yd line..LOL. If I was the owner that sorry excuse for a coach would be fired today!

Now they are saying the Ref called one of the Ravens "Boy" and thats why they flipped out and got 35yds of penalties..LOL Are you kidding me? Luckily the ref was also an African American, I can just imagine the racist crap that would spew out if he was any other race.

As a Pats fan I was content with them losing because they got their a**es handed to em pretty much all game but in the end they showed why they are a great team and the Ravens showed why they are 4-8. Plus I would not have to hear about the 72 dolphins again, god that is getting old.
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 12-04-2007, 05:15 PM
michael drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Yea...


That's what I thought.

When the calls go "against" the Pats, the crying is rampant.

But when the calls go "for" the Pats, it's "what calls are you talking about", or "I thought the other team got all the calls" or "I honestly didn't see any calls that went the Pats way".

Uhhh...WHAT GAME WERE YOU WATCHING???

But, that's expected from "biased" fans. So no big surprise there.


Wow, Someone needs their eyes examined...

Paa...leeezze!
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 12-04-2007, 05:22 PM
michael drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

But...


It is good to see the Pats "coming back" to the rest of the teams, a bit. ;-)

Not to take away from the efforts of the Eagles and Ravens, though. They played well enough to beat the Pats, but just fell a little short in the end...

which is NOT because of the Patriots finishing. But because of the other teams not finishing, down the stretch.


We'll see what happens next week with the Steelers.


P.S. Go Cowboys! ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 12-04-2007, 09:14 PM
cnw60's Avatar
cnw60 cnw60 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: AVL
Posts: 461
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
... Plus I would not have to hear about the 72 dolphins again, god that is getting old.
Agree 100%. I was a Dolphins fan and followed the whole '72 season. But now I'm just sick of these guys waiting around to pop the champagne... can't believe I'm saying it - but I hope the Pats pull it off.
__________________
"practice, practice - all things are coming" Sri K. Pattabhi Jois
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 12-04-2007, 09:37 PM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
Yea...


That's what I thought.

When the calls go "against" the Pats, the crying is rampant.

But when the calls go "for" the Pats, it's "what calls are you talking about", or "I thought the other team got all the calls" or "I honestly didn't see any calls that went the Pats way".

Uhhh...WHAT GAME WERE YOU WATCHING???

But, that's expected from "biased" fans. So no big surprise there.


Wow, Someone needs their eyes examined...

Paa...leeezze!

Hmmm I don't know why I kept reading this.. I actually thought you might come up with a few plays that could help me understand your point but lo and behold it's the same ol same ol crap.

Another thread where you sound like a 12 yr old who just figures if he keeps saying something enough times people will eventually agree with you.
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 12-04-2007, 09:54 PM
milkbetweenorangejuice's Avatar
milkbetweenorangejuice milkbetweenorangejuice is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Home of the 13 month summer
Posts: 42
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

[quote=nhzoso;384693
Milk what play specifically are you talking about? Because I thought the Ravens were getting a bunch of No calls all game. I saw atleast 3 holding calls that were not called when they were on offense. I find it hard to believe they could have that many running plays and not one single holding call??
[/QUOTE]

The 4th and goal that decided the game. Watson wasn't mugged. If a call is iffy, don't make it. The palyers should decide these games.

Ravens coaching also screwed up big time. Billick should have taken 3 instead of throwing on third and getting picked off. Also, they only rushed three for the entire last drive. Brady didn't get touched. That wasn't the way to go. Why stop the pressure when you need it most?

Also someone mentioned the '72 Phins. As a diehard Dolphins (you can probably tell that much from the fact that I haven't jumped ship during this abysmal season) I can say I'M sick of hearing Shula whine. They're going to do it, and better than he did. Enough already. Share your record with class.
Reply With Quote
  #271  
Old 12-04-2007, 10:09 PM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkbetweenorangejuice View Post
The 4th and goal that decided the game. Watson wasn't mugged. If a call is iffy, don't make it. The palyers should decide these games.

Ravens coaching also screwed up big time. Billick should have taken 3 instead of throwing on third and getting picked off. Also, they only rushed three for the entire last drive. Brady didn't get touched. That wasn't the way to go. Why stop the pressure when you need it most?

Also someone mentioned the '72 Phins. As a diehard Dolphins (you can probably tell that much from the fact that I haven't jumped ship during this abysmal season) I can say I'M sick of hearing Shula whine. They're going to do it, and better than he did. Enough already. Share your record with class.

I agree players should decide the game but I have to disagree with ya here on the Watson mugging. All 3 announcers agreed he was mugged before they even showed the replay. Clearly he was but maybe I am just being a homer, kinda hard to argue these things when it's your team but again all 3 announcers were onboard with it too so who knows. Not to mention Watson dropped a sure TD before that which made me want to puke. He probably would have dropped that one too if he was'nt knocked off the ball the way his day was going.

The TD at the end was the only thing that could have went either way and the announcers were torn on that one. If they would have called No catch on the field they would not have reversed that call either. Still it would have only been 2nd down. I agree the Ravens blew it on bad play calling and dumb penalties at the end. By the way did you see the last play of the game?? To say Samuel was mugged is a little bit of an understatement, and all the announcers laughed but if that would have been a TD and they did not call it..OH BOY! I would have hit the ceiling...LOL
Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 12-04-2007, 10:11 PM
cnw60's Avatar
cnw60 cnw60 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: AVL
Posts: 461
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

I don't really have a dog in this fight but I still thought that several calls were questionable:

just on the final Pats drive:

the illegal contact call against Samari Rolle - it really looked like Moss just ran straight into him and they both went down

the holding call on Winborne in the end zone - looked like incidental contact and while it may technically be a 'correct' call, you see a lot worse than that go unflagged all the time.

The winning TD reception - now that was an AWFULLY close call. We're picking hairs about what the definition of 'control' is, but that could have easily gone either way because it didn't look like the ball was totally under control until after he took the first step out of bounds. I've seen receptions taken away under similar circumstances. Even if they took that catch away - it would have been 2nd and goal w/ :46 seconds left and I believe the Pats would have still gotten the TD - but we'll never know.

On the other hand - the final play of the game, one of the Ravens receivers tackled one of the defenders right before Clayton made the catch and there was no offensive interference called on that (maybe because it would have been a moot point - the game was over either way).

Bottom line - if the Ravens make one (maybe two) first downs on their next to last possession - none of this matters. They blew it by giving Brady too many shots. I can understand why they're pissed at the refs - but they should ackowledge that bad calls went both ways.
__________________
"practice, practice - all things are coming" Sri K. Pattabhi Jois
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 12-04-2007, 10:23 PM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnw60 View Post

the illegal contact call against Samari Rolle - it really looked like Moss just ran straight into him and they both went down

OK that one I can agree with, I wonder why this does not happen more often?

I heard that Vrabel was barrating the Ref's too at the end of the game going into the tunnel. I think the Ravens are more upset with the "Boy" remark than anything else. Man was that an overreaction or what??

It was a great game but as a Pats fan I must admit that I enjoy the 52-7 games much more : ) Almost lost another remore control.

Thanks for the adult debate too, it's a refreshing change.
Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 12-04-2007, 10:50 PM
cnw60's Avatar
cnw60 cnw60 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: AVL
Posts: 461
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post

It was a great game but as a Pats fan I must admit that I enjoy the 52-7 games much more : ) Almost lost another remore control.

Thanks for the adult debate too, it's a refreshing change.
I just wish they wouldn't have all this suspense during late games - I was watching in bed trying to keep from waking up my wife while all he!! is breaking loose. Then it took me at least an hour to unwind and fall asleep.
__________________
"practice, practice - all things are coming" Sri K. Pattabhi Jois
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 12-05-2007, 03:55 AM
michael drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
Hmmm I don't know why I kept reading this.. I actually thought you might come up with a few plays that could help me understand your point but lo and behold it's the same ol same ol crap.

Another thread where you sound like a 12 yr old who just figures if he keeps saying something enough times people will eventually agree with you.
Yea, ok...

And you can look in a mirror while your saying that, nhzoso.

Look...you are are die-hard Patriots fan, pal.

We get it...OK????


Geeeessshhh.... :-(


The Patriots should get all the calls 'cause they're the Patriots. How stupid of us to think otherwise! :-(


AHHHHH...I feel better now...


Uhhhh....
Reply With Quote
  #276  
Old 12-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Jeff Almeyda's Avatar
Jeff Almeyda Jeff Almeyda is offline
Senior Consultant
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,106
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
Yea...


That's what I thought.

When the calls go "against" the Pats, the crying is rampant.

But when the calls go "for" the Pats, it's "what calls are you talking about", or "I thought the other team got all the calls" or "I honestly didn't see any calls that went the Pats way".

Uhhh...WHAT GAME WERE YOU WATCHING???

But, that's expected from "biased" fans. So no big surprise there.


Wow, Someone needs their eyes examined...

Paa...leeezze!
What is the point of all of these posts? If the Pats go 19-0 no one will be able to say anything about calls or competition or anything like that.

Every great run like this has a few close calls. Did the Pats get a little lucky last game? Yes. Are they a better team than the Ravens? Yes. Does the recent game make a bit of difference to how they will be perceived if they go undefeated? Not at all.

Oh, and the 72' Dolphins are gonna lose their record in the same year that their franchise goes winless. Sounds great to me. I've never seen a bunch of more classless record holders.
__________________
Either you have a purpose behind your expression... or you don't.
JoJo Mayer
Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 12-05-2007, 02:26 PM
michael drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Well...


If the Patriots are so "great", should we just turn the other way when the calls fall their way? I guess we should, 'cause we do!

I don't think anyone has suggested that the Patriots aren't a good team...probably playing the best football right now(12 - 0)...obviously.

But you can't just hand it to them like, I believe, the referees did on the TD pass from Brady to Gaffney! Gaffney did NOT have control of the ball in bounds. That play should of been reversed after review. Not to mention the call against Rolle that was absolutely ridiculous!

Yes...the better teams seem to get the breaks and the luck, I'm well aware of how momentum operates. But there IS a limit to how much of it "should" be allowed to affect the outcome of "important" games(situations). Isn't there?

It does seem to me, that in recent years, that the number of questionable calls are on the increase(not just in football), even with the review process. Because they STILL can't get it right!

Anyway...there's nothing you can do about the games that have been played so far, so it's hats off to the Patriots, to this point. I give credit where it's due.

But when not-so-good teams are playing them...give 'em a chance to win. Don't take away their effort by "questionable" calls. Get it right, man! Geeessshhh...


Play On! ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #278  
Old 12-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Jeff Almeyda's Avatar
Jeff Almeyda Jeff Almeyda is offline
Senior Consultant
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,106
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

When John Madden was asked whether the officiating is better today than it was years ago, he replied: "They stunk then and they stink now."
__________________
Either you have a purpose behind your expression... or you don't.
JoJo Mayer
Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 12-05-2007, 04:43 PM
michael drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
When John Madden was asked whether the officiating is better today than it was years ago, he replied: "They stunk then and they stink now."
Hee...hee...


Good one, Jeff!! ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #280  
Old 12-05-2007, 07:09 PM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Real Football Thread

[quote=michael drums;385032]

But you can't just hand it to them like, I believe, the referees did on the TD pass from Brady to Gaffney! Gaffney did NOT have control of the ball in bounds. That play should of been reversed after review. Not to mention the call against Rolle that was absolutely ridiculous!

Yes...the better teams seem to get the breaks and the luck, I'm well aware of how momentum operates. But there IS a limit to how much of it "should" be allowed to affect the outcome of "important" games(situations). Isn't there?
QUOTE]

Well the TD was not clearly a catch and it was not Clearly a bobble, maybe you see it as a bobble and I see it as a catch. If you asked 500 people chances are it would be 50/50, so thats not clearly a gross call in favor of the Pats. In fact the announcers said you can only go so far with instant replay, he even said something to the affect that if you had a microscope maybe you could tell. I can't blame a ref for a call like that.

The call against Rolle was in fact a penalty as the rule is written, is it always called NO. But it's still a penalty.

Maybe the Ravens lost because they decided to not kick a FG when they were in range and threw a stupid INT., Maybe it's because their def. coach called a TO after they had Brady Stopped on 4th down, Maybe they should have gotten 1 1st down in the 4th quarter.

Mark Schlereth said it best on sportscenter today, the league, players, coaches and fans are becoming a bunch of whiners. The Ravens take the cake though, my god what a bunch of cry baby's. Maybe if they played that hard all year they would not be 4-8. I can see crying foul during and even a few hours afterwards because it is a very emotional game but to have 24hrs go by and still be crying about being called Boy, well thats ridiculous.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com