DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Default Evans EC2 on my DW kit - advice

I've been searching around and reading opinions here on EC2 heads and those who have used them seem to like them. I'm looking for that type of focused, warm tone and I can't get a good sound out of my factory DW/Remo heads anymore.

I've used G2's and G1's in the past and Evans seems to have good quality and sound.

I think I'll do clear EC2's and clear G1's on my toms. What's the best Evans options for my snare and kick? I'm replacing all resos except for the kick.

My snare is a solid-shell DW-Craviotto, 14"x6.5", and I like a very high-tuned, sensitive sound. I do a lot of double strokes, drags, and ghost notes. I've used Coated Ambassadors mostly and they've worked fine. I like ring on my snare, no muffling there.

As for kick sound...I like it fat and round. I tune somewhere in the middle...not tight but not so loose that I have no rebound w/ the beater.

I don't (and won't) use Moongel (or muffling rings, etc.) on my drums so I'm not interested in ideas that involve combining moongel w/ any type of head. I'll either tune the sound I want out of my drums or get new heads...no crutch accessories (no offense...that's just my opinion.)

Thanks in advance, y'all!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Evans EC2 on my DW kit - advice

Just to add my two cents....I personally don't like the EC heads all that much. They sound and feel...."thick". I personally like the G2's. Clears for brightness. Coated for the warmth. Just my 2 cents.

EMAD. Best drum head for the bass drum. Hands down.

Genera Dry snare head. Best head ever. Ahem....I mean best snare drum head ever.

;-)
Old 08-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Pioneer Member

The EC2s sound great on DWs. I run them over the Evans resonant heads or G1s and either way it's a good match.

I like the reverse power dot for the snare. For recording I use a Genera dry.

I have a 6.5 X 14 Craviotto also and run a hazy 200 and a puresound 30 stand wire. Sometimes a G1 on the batter side. Die cast hoops and a Trick throw off.

The EMAD wasn't giving me the sound I was looking for. I'm running a EQ3 with a EMAD reso and that gives me a little rounder sound. No muffling in the drum.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove View Post
Just to add my two cents....I personally don't like the EC heads all that much. They sound and feel...."thick". I personally like the G2's. Clears for brightness. Coated for the warmth. Just my 2 cents.

EMAD. Best drum head for the bass drum. Hands down.

Genera Dry snare head. Best head ever. Ahem....I mean best snare drum head ever.

;-)
Well, that's sort of the debate I was having w/ myself. I've used G2 clears and coated and liked them...never on my DW but they made my old Pearl kit sound really good. I only recently started considering the EC2s based on opinions I'm seeing around the forums. From what I can gather, they supposedly sound very warm and deep.

By "thick" do you mean they feel mushy when you hit them...like a Fiberskyn? Or, are they stiff and don't have any give?

I dunno, I'm sort of "on the fence".

On the snare, I'm basically looking for something equivilant to a Coated Ambassador. I like a super-sensitive snare and I like a little ring...with the Genera Dry do that for me?

I've played the EMAD heads and they're great, for sure.

Normally I'm very firm about what kind of head...er drum heads...I like.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
The EC2s sound great on DWs. I run them over the Evans resonant heads or G1s and either way it's a good match.

I like the reverse power dot for the snare. For recording I use a Genera dry.

I have a 6.5 X 14 Craviotto also and run a hazy 200 and a puresound 30 stand wire. Sometimes a G1 on the batter side. Die cast hoops and a Trick throw off.

The EMAD wasn't giving me the sound I was looking for. I'm running a EQ3 with a EMAD reso and that gives me a little rounder sound. No muffling in the drum.
Nice! What's the thinnest reso Evans makes? I thought G1 was as resonant as you can get...but thinner is better, IMO.

I use a hazy ambassador w/ a coated ambassador batter on my snare now...I like that sound...very tight, very sensitive.

I've thought about die-cast hoops for the snare...or even wood hoops...hmmm....
Old 08-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

The Genera Dry heads are nice. They cut out "most" of that unwanted ring. They're great on a metal snare. They might be too dry for some on a wood snare...but I like them just fine.

To me, the EC2s didn't have that great of a stick response. They reminded me a lot of the Aquarian Performance II heads. Thick with a ring. They are warm but seem to lack the high end that other heads naturally give you. If you like that EQ'd studio sound, then they're great. They also remind me of pinstripes but stay in tune longer.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Nice! What's the thinnest reso Evans makes? I thought G1 was as resonant as you can get...but thinner is better, IMO.

I use a hazy ambassador w/ a coated ambassador batter on my snare now...I like that sound...very tight, very sensitive.

Genera Resonants are brighter and thinner than G1s. Resonant Glass heads are VERY thin bottom heads.

www.EvansDrumheads.com
Old 08-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

The Evans resonant head is a little brighter than the G1. I like them on rack toms. Some of the guys use a little heavier head on the reso side of the floor toms. Some guys use a two ply reso head as well on the floor toms.

I have a 14 X 14 and 16 X 16 floor tom and they tend to rumble. A thicker head on the bottom tames that down a little.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

I really like the EC2 clear over G1 combination on my toms. I have tried a lot of different configurations on my set and the EC2's have proven to the what I like the most. The EC2's are not dead sounding like the Remo Pinstripes, as they have a nice warm tone and they do resonate so you can enjoy the tones of your toms. I have a birch kit and they really bring out the warmth of the birch. I started using the EC2's on a suggestion from Dom Famularo....I had the chance to ask Dom what I should use on my birch kit and he took the 10" EC2 off his kit, signed it and said "here....put this on your kit and let me know what you think". He was right!!

I use a clear EMAD on my bass drum and a G1 coated on my snare. I did not like the genera dry at all. But to each his own. I would suggest you buy 1 EC2 and a G1for the tom you hit the most and see how you like it since they are not cheap heads. I hope this helps a little bit. Good luck in your quest!!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

I am going to follow this thread closely because I am wondering the same thing. I recently put an EMAD2 on my bass drum and have been thrilled with it so far. I've always played Remo white coated emperors because they give me the right amount attack and sustain without the overtones. Would the EC2 be about the same as the emperors?

I played a friends DW edge snare the other day with a coated ambassador on it and the ghost strokes were amazing on it, much more pronounced than mine with a Remo CS batter on it.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

I was invited to play at a friend of mines church service last night because their drummer had to work. He has a DW collectors series with the FAST tom sizes...I didn't measure but looked like a 10, 12, and 14. He has the clear EC2's on his toms, stock dw "medium" resonants, and a coated ambassador on his EDGE snare (which I loved the way this drum sounded). and an Aquarian superkick 2 on his bass (which sounded very nice).

I didn't really like the way the toms sounded (but I didn't hate it either) with the EC2s. They didn't have alot of attack, just a big fat warm sound with alot of sustain,kind of tubby sounding, (especially on the 14"). He also used Remo "O" rings on each tom which helped with the overtones. I took one off to see how it sounded and it got pretty wild without it.

I play coated emperors on my DW's and I believe my next heads will be white coated G2's.

JD
Old 08-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

Well, I went w/ the EC2s on the toms, the Genera Dry w/ a Hazy underneath, for the snare. I'm on the fence. I think.....once these heads settle in they're going to be great. By the way...you hit it out of the park again, Groove! Thanks for getting them to me so quickly...the stock heads were fading fast.

They were pretty hard to tune...I had to re-tune twice on just about every tom and I normally never have to do that. Again, they'll break in and I'll re-tune them in a couple of weeks...I think they'll start to really show potential.

I made some super-crappy recordings, you guys can tell me what you think of the sound. I'm in a small room and have one small mic, so the sound quality is pretty substandard. My intention wasn't to show off chops...so pardon the sloppy playing....:)

Be gentle, I've only been playing for 9 months!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 DW_toms_new_EC2_heads.mp3 (819.9 KB, 245 views)
File Type: mp3 DW_toms_new_EC2_heads2.mp3 (400.3 KB, 232 views)
File Type: mp3 funky_groove_new_EC2_heads.mp3 (286.8 KB, 262 views)
File Type: mp3 steve_jordan_genera_dry.mp3 (271.3 KB, 278 views)

Last edited by zambizzi; 08-25-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

OK, it was super late and I was pretty much asleep on that last post. Some detail:

The EMAD on the kick sounds incredible. I'm happier w/ the EMAD than I was w/ the PowerStroke 2 I had on there a few months ago (which is now on my blue kit.)

The Genera Dry on the snare is GREAT! This is by far the best snare head combo I've had on *this* particular snare. I like that I can ghost around the center and not get a real tinny ring...but rather nice, soft ghost notes (go figure).

The EC2s were really hard to adjust to and VERY hard to tune, in my opinion. I love the way they feel when I hit them, however, and rebound is much more controlled. The rack toms sound predictably focused and fast. The floor toms have the VLT grain inside...so they sounded nothing like I would have guessed. They sound FAT....but have a much faster response than they did w/ the stock DW heads.

I'm not so sure about the "enhanced tuning range" advertised on the EC2s...it actually seems more limited in range. The 10" tom was a real B@#$% to tune and I had to try four times before I could get more than a dead floppy sound out of it.

I'm playin' w/ the band today so we'll see how the toms hold up. They're mellowed tremendously compared to what they were with the stock Remo heads and I'm hoping they play through the music effectively.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! Ha...yeah..."stickin'"...good stuff.

Anyhow, let me know what y'all think of the tone I got on the first tune-up. I'll post one later w/ the old heads, for comparison.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I've been searching around and reading opinions here on EC2 heads and those who have used them seem to like them. I'm looking for that type of focused, warm tone and I can't get a good sound out of my factory DW/Remo heads anymore.

I've used G2's and G1's in the past and Evans seems to have good quality and sound.

I think I'll do clear EC2's and clear G1's on my toms. What's the best Evans options for my snare and kick? I'm replacing all resos except for the kick.

My snare is a solid-shell DW-Craviotto, 14"x6.5", and I like a very high-tuned, sensitive sound. I do a lot of double strokes, drags, and ghost notes. I've used Coated Ambassadors mostly and they've worked fine. I like ring on my snare, no muffling there.

As for kick sound...I like it fat and round. I tune somewhere in the middle...not tight but not so loose that I have no rebound w/ the beater.

I don't (and won't) use Moongel (or muffling rings, etc.) on my drums so I'm not interested in ideas that involve combining moongel w/ any type of head. I'll either tune the sound I want out of my drums or get new heads...no crutch accessories (no offense...that's just my opinion.)

Thanks in advance, y'all!
Here is what I would do:

I would go and get 1 EC2 and findf a Remo Powerstroke 3 (this DOES have the underlying ring) and A-B test these two heads on one drum. The EC2 is pretty much an Evans version of the Remo Pinstripe, but I don't like the sound of a Pinstripe. The PS 3 is a single ply head with the muffle ring built in. I have used these on my DW toms form time to time and do like them enough to have 'em around for special ocassions.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 08-25-2007, 11:26 PM

I currently play G2 clears on my Yamaha SCs, and was considering going to EC2s, but I was afraid that they would sound too muffled and flat, like the Aqaurian P2s I used to have.
Thanks to your recordings, I am reconsidering the EC2s, they sound pretty damn good! They seem to be a little more focused than the G2s...but still have good resonance as well.
BTW, I also play a 22" EMAD....Very nice, I like the control that the external muffle rings give me.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I currently play G2 clears on my Yamaha SCs, and was considering going to EC2s, but I was afraid that they would sound too muffled and flat, like the Aqaurian P2s I used to have.
Thanks to your recordings, I am reconsidering the EC2s, they sound pretty damn good! They seem to be a little more focused than the G2s...but still have good resonance as well.
BTW, I also play a 22" EMAD....Very nice, I like the control that the external muffle rings give me.
I'd say; at least give it a shot. I just got done w/ a 3 hr. session w/ my guitar player...and not only did they sound nice while playing...the recordings sounded better. I could run through a fill and not assault the song...nice and even.

The more I hit these heads, the more I like how they feel too. I keep comparing them to the Fiberskyns I was using for a while....they feel similar when struck but sound *way* better.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Egads...I can't believe I'm going to post this recording...but I'm lovin' these heads after playin' them for a few days.

This is roughly the first 10 min. of my warm-up session this morning. The kick sounds flat because I only have one mic and I placed it on the right side of the kick, under the ride & floor toms so they could be better heard. There's no hole in the head of the reso side of the kick either, but the other recordings better represent it.

Anyhow, out came this flaming blasphemy of a drum solo...this isn't rehearsed, I was just goofing around...so it's a straight-up mess. Remember...I've only been at it for nine months. :D

Here's the link to download (20mb):

http://66.241.137.181/warmup_polyrhy...usterfudge.mp3

It's funny...in the end I forgot the recording was still going...you can hear me yell upstairs "Is anyone still home?" Heh!

*runs for cover and ducks*
Old 08-28-2007, 02:27 AM
Platinum Member

I posted some improvisational jammin' I did w/ my guitar player Saturday, the heads sounded pretty good...given the crappy recording w/ a single mic:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30426
Old 09-05-2007, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I posted some improvisational jammin' I did w/ my guitar player Saturday, the heads sounded pretty good...given the crappy recording w/ a single mic:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30426
Zam, you got great time, man! Youre like a metronome! Ok, you lost the 1 a few times, but the improvisation and ideas are very cool. Keep going and posting! It keeps getting better
Old 09-05-2007, 07:48 AM

My Sonor Designers sport Evans EC2s, and I am very pleased with both the feel and sound. I use a Remo Powerstroke 3 on the BD for a nice fat-focused sound.

Personally, I think that the only way to judge the usability of a particular batter or reso on a given make or model of drum is to actually try it out.

We all have different tastes, and drums can differ from kit number 1223 to 1224 of any production line or custom shop table.

Back on point-

The EC2s give a focused sound, are relatively easy to tune, and actually difficult to choke. Paired up with Evans Genera resos, they give me a controlled decay, with just enough ring to make the drums sound lively. The drums have a nice punch and no unwanted overtones.

Ok, one would expect that from Sonor’s flagship line, (until SQ2s came along, but that is another thread…), but they sound great on my son’s Pearl Exports, and have sound characteristics much like the more expensive Designers.

Buy a couple and side-by-side test them on your kit with the other makes you are considering. That is a sure fire way to fond what sounds best to your ears. That is what is most important after all.

They are quite durable, and you know what, they look cool as well. Here are my Sonors all decked out with EC2s.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Zam, you got great time, man! Youre like a metronome! Ok, you lost the 1 a few times, but the improvisation and ideas are very cool. Keep going and posting! It keeps getting better
Hey thanks! I appreciate that!

Yeah, I missed some 1's in there...the guitarist noticed the sour, scrunched look on my face when it would happen. It happens mostly while trying to suddenly switch up the pattern while improvising...it's hesitation...it'll go away w/ practice I'm sure.

I've since worked on this type of groove a lot and have smoothed it out (and changed it) quite a bit...I'll post the next time we do it up at practice.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salicete View Post
My Sonor Designers sport Evans EC2s, and I am very pleased with both the feel and sound. I use a Remo Powerstroke 3 on the BD for a nice fat-focused sound.

Personally, I think that the only way to judge the usability of a particular batter or reso on a given make or model of drum is to actually try it out.

We all have different tastes, and drums can differ from kit number 1223 to 1224 of any production line or custom shop table.

Back on point-

The EC2s give a focused sound, are relatively easy to tune, and actually difficult to choke. Paired up with Evans Genera resos, they give me a controlled decay, with just enough ring to make the drums sound lively. The drums have a nice punch and no unwanted overtones.

Ok, one would expect that from Sonor’s flagship line, (until SQ2s came along, but that is another thread…), but they sound great on my son’s Pearl Exports, and have sound characteristics much like the more expensive Designers.

Buy a couple and side-by-side test them on your kit with the other makes you are considering. That is a sure fire way to fond what sounds best to your ears. That is what is most important after all.

They are quite durable, and you know what, they look cool as well. Here are my Sonors all decked out with EC2s.
Phew! That's a fine lookin' kit there!

I agree, also - which is why I just go for the gusto and buy heads I think I'm interested in. If I don't like them...I can put them on my boy's kit and he can pummel them...and I know not to buy them again.

I'm pretty happy w/ the EC2's - though I know they'll be better once I've tuned them a few times and they've settled.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:40 AM
Rickk

I put the EC2 heads on my DW set and had a really hard time getting them tuned right, the drums just sounded dead, I went to Aquarian Studio X Coated heads and am very happy with the sound and the ease of tunning much more resonant than I thought I would like but I like them more each day. I do have the EMAD heads on my Bass drum and love the sound. The snare I put Aquarian Texture Coated and it sound's fantastic.
I don't know how many heads I have tried in the last two years (too many), but I am really happy with the Aquarian heads.