DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-17-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Hardware Bag Trouble

Hey guys, I have noticed over time of using it that my hardware bag is EXTREMELY heavy haha.. Now I know it makes sense, 1 cymbal stand isn't that heavy but 6 cymbal stands, a throne stand, a snare stand, and a hi hat stand adds up... I have a big duffel bag that I put all that in, and when it's time to take it down to the car, or up to the stage, I cringe at the thought of it... So I was wondering, do you guys have hardware bag weight problems? Or should I get an actual hardware bag and not use a duffel bag??
Old 08-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Hardware Bag Trouble

You could always look into a hardware case, such as one with wheels. Or, the other route, you could look at buying lighter weight hardware. Either way is expensive. Or, if you have some skills as a craftsman, you could try building yourself a box to your specs.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumminjohn View Post
Hey guys, I have noticed over time of using it that my hardware bag is EXTREMELY heavy haha.. Now I know it makes sense, 1 cymbal stand isn't that heavy but 6 cymbal stands, a throne stand, a snare stand, and a hi hat stand adds up... I have a big duffel bag that I put all that in, and when it's time to take it down to the car, or up to the stage, I cringe at the thought of it... So I was wondering, do you guys have hardware bag weight problems? Or should I get an actual hardware bag and not use a duffel bag??

There is help in the form of bags w/wheels, also look into single braced stands for saving weight and your back. A hand truck is another option, Ace Hardware has a cool, compact, lightweight, cheap one that can handle 250 lbs.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedrummer View Post
You could always look into a hardware case, such as one with wheels. Or, the other route, you could look at buying lighter weight hardware. Either way is expensive. Or, if you have some skills as a craftsman, you could try building yourself a box to your specs.
I actually am thinking about buying one that has wheels and a reinforced bottom on Musician's Friend...

And I really don't have that heavy of hardware... I only have one double braced boom stand, and because of it's weight I don't even put it in the duffel bag.. Maybe I'm just weak haha..

Quote:
There is help in the form of bags w/wheels, also look into single braced stands for saving weight and your back. A hand truck is another option, Ace Hardware has a cool, compact, lightweight, cheap one that can handle 250 lbs.
Like I said above, I only have one double braced boom, that isn't even in the bag....

I may invest in a hand truck, but I'm not sure if I even have enough room in my car...
Old 08-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

Ahhh - this seems like a Job for Protection Racket Cases.

Check out their wheeled cases.

Unlike most wheeled cases they are flexible enough to fit in your car, unlike a hard traps case.

But on the other hand they are rigid enough to carry the hardware with meaning :-)

And they dont kill your wallet.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 08-18-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
Ahhh - this seems like a Job for Protection Racket Cases.

Check out their wheeled cases.

Unlike most wheeled cases they are flexible enough to fit in your car, unlike a hard traps case.

But on the other hand they are rigid enough to carry the hardware with meaning :-)

And they dont kill your wallet.
Hahaha, you like these Protection Racket cases huh?

Wow, I'm looking at them on Musician's Friend and they really do like pretty nice.. Thanks Fijjibo
Old 08-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumminjohn View Post
I would get a rigid or semi-rigid bag with wheels. I use an SKB case intended for transporting golf club bags, but it works great.

Sounds like you have a lot of gear. I have been consciously trying to reduce the number of stands with stackers and Dog Bones. On one stand. for example, I have two toms and four cymbals, and two toms and three percussion items on another stand. I recently removed all the legs from my hihat and clamped it to a two-legged cymbal stand, further eliminating clutter. You might not need to go to those extremes, but instead of figuring out how to schlep around more stuff, you might think also about how to reduce all the stuff you have. If you have a DW 900 double-braced boom stand to hold a six-inch splash cymbal, for example, you should go on a stand diet. Setup time is about the same, but I save space and weight and the set looks cleaner with fewer stands.

See my kit link below for some ideas on how to combine and reduce stands.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I would get a rigid or semi-rigid bag with wheels. I use an SKB case intended for transporting golf club bags, but it works great.

Sounds like you have a lot of gear. I have been consciously trying to reduce the number of stands with stackers and Dog Bones. On one stand. for example, I have two toms and four cymbals, and two toms and three percussion items on another stand. I recently removed all the legs from my hihat and clamped it to a two-legged cymbal stand, further eliminating clutter. You might not need to go to those extremes, but instead of figuring out how to schlep around more stuff, you might think also about how to reduce all the stuff you have. If you have a DW 900 double-braced boom stand to hold a six-inch splash cymbal, for example, you should go on a stand diet. Setup time is about the same, but I save space and weight and the set looks cleaner with fewer stands.

See my kit link below for some ideas on how to combine and reduce stands.
I'm looking at my kit, And I don't really know what I could do, I could put my china on the boom stand.. That gets rid of one stand. I can't see what else I could do..

Look at my pictures in my sig, tell me whatchu think...
EDIT: Actually those pictures are kinda outdated, for now imagine a china behind that second floor tom, I'll have newer pictures up later today...

Last edited by drumminjohn; 08-18-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I actually use an old Adidas holdall with a shoulder strap for transporting my hardware. Not expensive, convenient and although it may be heavy (then again, I'm a big guy) it's actually not hard to carry once it's on your shoulder. Perhaps you could consider that as a slightly more cost/effective solution.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I actually use an old Adidas holdall with a shoulder strap for transporting my hardware. Not expensive, convenient and although it may be heavy (then again, I'm a big guy) it's actually not hard to carry once it's on your shoulder. Perhaps you could consider that as a slightly more cost/effective solution.
Hmm.. This could work too, because mine only has handles, which I manage to put around my arm and on my shoulder haha