DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-16-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Mapex Pro M studio config

These are my Mapex Pro Ms. These are when I first got them and I hadn't gotten the rest of my cymbals yet. A year later and I still haven't gotten a second snare fixture. I have my Black Panther snare in the pics but I've mostly played on the Pro M snare.

One of these days I'll take some more recent pics :)
Old 08-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Mapex Pro M studio config

That looks great! I hear good stuff about Pro Ms.
But you should try to flatten out your floor toms, it will be better for your playing and for your heads.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:41 PM

Yeah, this picture is old, when I first set them up. All of the toms, especially the floor toms, are angled at a bit flatter now.

The pedals are Iron Cobras and when I get a chance, I'll post up some newer pics with all of my newer cymbals: 14 inch A Custom fast crash, 18 inch Sabian medium HH crash, 12 and 22 inch Wuhan chinas.

I think the Pro Ms are a steal for the quality you get at that price.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Silver Member

Nice kit brother. Looks nice a sturdy, if I do say so myself.

Some more recent pics would be nice, just to see if you've wrecked it or not ;) lol

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 08-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

Nice kit. Is the studio config a 20" bass drum w/ fusion sizes?
And why is it that people who get the Mapex with the free BP never like using them as a main snare?

Old 08-16-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post
Nice kit. Is the studio config a 20" bass drum w/ fusion sizes?
And why is it that people who get the Mapex with the free BP never like using them as a main snare?
Cause it is not very big, most people like a good 13"-14", that is a 10" that comes free, which is a great aux snare.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

Cant go wrong with mapex.

How are you finding that Panther?

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 08-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzo49 View Post
Cause it is not very big, most people like a good 13"-14", that is a 10" that comes free, which is a great aux snare.
In that case, someone should make me an offer on their BP 'side snares', cause I'd love to have one as a main snare. :P

Old 08-16-2007, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

Very nice kit, I like the finish. Your BP looks like a 12"
Old 08-17-2007, 01:28 AM

If I remember correctly off the top of my head, the BP is a 12x7. The main snare that comes with the kit is a 14x5.5. The BP has a nice poppy sound, IMO. It's a cherry/maple mix and I don't know the acoustics of cherry, but I think it seems to enforce it being kind of poppy. Recently I started playing with it a little more as composed to the Pro M snare.

The bass drum is actually a 22 incher. It puts out a hell of a boom. All of the toms are fusion sizes, yes :)

I think the lacquer finishes of the Pro Ms are gorgeous. Green might not be the best of color, but I thought it was a little different in that it's a solid green.

I've taken very good care of it and maybe this weekend I'll snap some more recent pics :)
Old 08-17-2007, 01:31 AM

the BP is a 13x6 btw >.>

http://usa.mapexdrums.com/drums/prom/PM6225.asp
Old 08-17-2007, 01:52 AM

That's the 2007 version. I have the 2006 which is 12 x 7 :)
Old 08-17-2007, 02:09 AM

aaah ok gotcha :P
didn't know they had that extra snare offer last year too
Old 08-17-2007, 06:08 AM
Pioneer Member

The studio is 10,12,14,16 with a 22x18 bass. I've got one in the Blue Ice finish they stopped producing for some reason. Fun kit certainly and I always get compliments on it. It's just a bit complicated to take on gigs as I found out this summer.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:43 AM

Nice kit, you should be most proud.
I have a question: I own a M-Birch and I find the floor tom is a bit wobbly, especially if i tap the edge of the heads while it's on the mount. I'm just worried I might be hitting too hard or doing permanent damage.
Do you find yours is a bit bouncy and is that normal?
Thanks.
Cel.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:15 AM

Mine bounces a bit too. However, even the small toms move a bit to when giving them a good whack. It's just a big more pronounced with the larger toms with the more weight. I think that's just something that goes along with having hanging 14 and 16 inch toms. Only downside to the Studio config, I think. I kind'a wished they were floor toms but they don't offer a two up and two down config.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Silver Member

I love the green!! And that maple looks great. Great looking drum set.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Silver Member

two thumbs up on the kit!!!
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 08-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Pioneer Member

My Pro-M studio toms don't bounce at all...
Try spreading the legs more on the "floor tom" stand Give it more stability....
Old 08-19-2007, 09:39 AM

Thanks guys!

@Cymbalrider: The stand doesn't move at all. The toms move just a bit, no matter how much I crank the arms down tightness wise.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:16 AM

I have the "Rock" config. (Pro M) coming in the morning - didn't think about "hanging" toms. Hoping they are normal config. 16 & 18
(3 legs each) as I've never liked the feel of the bouncing hanging
"floor" toms. Too late now I guess + I could convert then I imagine.
"BUT WAIT ! You'll be taking their virginity !!!! ". I have the extra snare stand for the 14" rack tom and plan on using it rather than suspended. Some say it drains too much tone from the shell (snare stand) but I think its negligible myself. Being "old school" here I equate it with so many other changes over the years ! When I was a kid adults would think NOTHING of loading up the 58 Ford wagon with kids - no seatbelts, metal dashboards - hanging out the tailgate right over the dual exhausts from big block V-8 engines and, believe it or not, WE LIVED THROUGH IT ! Same with the drums - "isolated mounts", double chain pedals - more variety of heads than a Chinese Rest. take out menu...all those great Classic Rock recordings were made without a thought to any of these current "all the rage" things ! You had Birch or Maple and the dealer was the only one that new what was what, Remo heads, a Speed King pedal and was there anything other than
Zildjians ? Oh, yes, of course - were they A or K ? Rumors abounded
about the brothers and did A improve upon K's ? All the hardware was
sh*t AND WE LIKED IT ! Sticks were like pencils and pens - you had a collection around but were never quite sure where they came from - like you put 2 together and they procreated over the years...There were Regal tips and non tips. What the hell more choice did you need ? There were no forums for buying advice - one usually had a friend with an older brother that is just as good as Ginger Baker and he says "Buy coated heads" (or) "Don't buy coated heads" and that was your learnin' about heads ! Of course I intend this all tongue in cheek BUT there is some truth to what I'm sayin' Some of you old mule skinners like me can attest to this, no ? The other comparison would be pre Starbucks - do you take your coffee A. black or B. with cream and sugar ? Then came "decaff" and its been all down hill since !
Latte this, Frap that ...just give me a cuppa Joe damn it !
Old 05-16-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
I have the "Rock" config. (Pro M) coming in the morning - didn't think about "hanging" toms. Hoping they are normal config. 16 & 18
(3 legs each) as I've never liked the feel of the bouncing hanging
"floor" toms. Too late now I guess + I could convert then I imagine.
"BUT WAIT ! You'll be taking their virginity !!!! ". I have the extra snare stand for the 14" rack tom and plan on using it rather than suspended. Some say it drains too much tone from the shell (snare stand) but I think its negligible myself. Being "old school" here I equate it with so many other changes over the years ! When I was a kid adults would think NOTHING of loading up the 58 Ford wagon with kids - no seatbelts, metal dashboards - hanging out the tailgate right over the dual exhausts from big block V-8 engines and, believe it or not, WE LIVED THROUGH IT ! Same with the drums - "isolated mounts", double chain pedals - more variety of heads than a Chinese Rest. take out menu...all those great Classic Rock recordings were made without a thought to any of these current "all the rage" things ! You had Birch or Maple and the dealer was the only one that new what was what, Remo heads, a Speed King pedal and was there anything other than
Zildjians ? Oh, yes, of course - were they A or K ? Rumors abounded
about the brothers and did A improve upon K's ? All the hardware was
sh*t AND WE LIKED IT ! Sticks were like pencils and pens - you had a collection around but were never quite sure where they came from - like you put 2 together and they procreated over the years...There were Regal tips and non tips. What the hell more choice did you need ? There were no forums for buying advice - one usually had a friend with an older brother that is just as good as Ginger Baker and he says "Buy coated heads" (or) "Don't buy coated heads" and that was your learnin' about heads ! Of course I intend this all tongue in cheek BUT there is some truth to what I'm sayin' Some of you old mule skinners like me can attest to this, no ? The other comparison would be pre Starbucks - do you take your coffee A. black or B. with cream and sugar ? Then came "decaff" and its been all down hill since !
Latte this, Frap that ...just give me a cuppa Joe damn it !
I have that kit. The floor toms have legs. Enjoy! It is a thunderous kit! I suggest you use a powerstroke instead of choking that drum off with an emad or superkick! Let it boom!
Old 05-16-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuniggety View Post
Thanks guys!

@Cymbalrider: The stand doesn't move at all. The toms move just a bit, no matter how much I crank the arms down tightness wise.
I had that studio config and I really didn't like the toms on a rack. They didn't have the depth/boom of full depth floor toms, and they did bounce a bit when I laid into them. I upgraded (see my previous post) to the rock kit. The rack./ floor tom config is not convenient when setting up and tearing down.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:15 AM

hwy:

Thanks for the advice ! The Mapex stock aint cuttin it ! They arrived this afternoon and I'm just getting settled into them now ! No dinner - feel like I'm gonna collapse. This definitely isn't an "instant gratification" purchase. Removed the EC2's from the Tamas only after the Pro M's arrived (didn't want to jinx myself). I wanted to get rid of the tom mount and found out (as I suspected) that you need shorter screws to re attach the lug once the mount is removed. So, I removed 2 lower lugs and re attached the plate so that its at the 6 o'clock position on the tom protecting it from the snare (snare could cause "rash" at the 12 o'clock position). And yes, the floor toms are not suspended ! Thunder ! The kick I know will sound great with the new head (still have to order it). Although a 24", it sounds as big/bigger than the Ludwid Accent 26" Bonham sets kick which I had the chance to punch a few weeks ago at a music store I passed while on a trip. I have to get used to the green after the cherry fade - the cymbals and chrome are "set off" in an entirely different way ! I could have got cherry and I'm sort of regretting it. The green lacquer is nice but you have to see the cherry fade of my Tamas ! Good enough to eat ! Really, they look like candy ! Its just an adjustment I know. I haven't set up the 8"x14" snare yet but it does sound promising - I have the Supra in there now and I'm sure I won't be replacing it except for variety on occasion. At first I was terrified ! I did a quickly tune up with the stock heads and played side by side with my Tama Rockstars with EC2's. I said to myself - "There had BETTER be a good explanation why they sound identical ! I rushed to get the EC's off the 18" Tama and on to the 18" ProM. Thankfully, with just a few turns of the drum key I heard a nice improvement ! I still have a vintage Premier birch set and I had this horrible feeling that I was going to come full circle back to the first drums I ever bought waaaay back in 1970 (?) ! So now I have birch and maple. Tomorrow I think I'll order the new kick head and one of them new fangled head tuners. I have new Emps around somewhere for the toms and I'm tempted to try them but man, the tuning and all ! Get 'em where I want 'em then tear 'em down again ! Maybe I'll wait a week or two - like I said, no instant gratification when dealing with a new set of drums ! OK, now I'm gonna admit something here. Rushing to get the kick heads on I actually put the batter and reso on backwards ! Then, to not be outdone by myself, I did same TWICE with the 14" tom !!!!! The good thing is I had to get out to the store today and it was getting late. I managed to walk away from them to get out of the house which led me to buying some light weight oil while I was at the store. I stripped the heads off again when I got home and had the discipline - this time - to dip all of the threads in the oil prior to screwing them in to the lugs ! So it probably all worked out for the best.Well, time to get back to playing the damn things after waiting all week for them to get here (my arrangement NOT the stores). BTW, I'd be remiss if I didn't give Gregg at "The Music Store" / Clarksville IN. for all the help and the patience of Job ! A great guy to deal with, thanks again Gregg !
Old 05-17-2008, 10:12 AM

Looks very promising, I'm sure we'd all love to see a picture of the kit set up properly.
from your
tv set

Old 05-17-2008, 08:34 PM

hwy145,

What are you using on your toms ?

(No, you're not seeing things - only 7 words ! LOL !)