DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 08-16-2007, 05:42 AM

Default opinion on electric drums

im thinkin about getting a roland v stage series http://rolandus.com/products/product...59&ParentId=60

as my new permanent drums set but i have a few questions

1. do people hate you if you use them live
2. if i wanted to play them live what would i need to get
and 3. is that set really worth the price

thanks
Old 08-16-2007, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: opinion on electric drums

Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately, I can't answer your 3rd question but I know that using them live would probably not replace an acoustic set, or atleast you shouldn't try to acheive the acoustic sound with an electric kit. However, they definitely have an application in a lot of live music if you want the electronic sound.

Also, using them live would probably be easier than an acoustic because they can plug right into a sound system instead of being mic'd. The pit orchestra at my school uses an electric when a drumkit is needed for that reason.

And they're great for quiet practice. Probably one of the best uses of E-Kits.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:59 AM
Pioneer Member

I wouldnt suggest using them live. But they are fun as hell to play. They are also great if you wanna have a nice clean sound. You can really work on technicality, and getting each stroke right on. I personally would rather spend money on a real drum set, but electrics are great.

Its your choice.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:12 AM

thanks for the advice i may as well just get the td6 kit and spend the 1500 left over on an acoustic for live settings
Old 08-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Even better, then you can use an acoustic but add in an electronic pad or two for effects etc. live.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
Even better, then you can use an acoustic but add in an electronic pad or two for effects etc. live.
Sounds good to me.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

A high-end electronic instrument of any kind will be more versatile and sound as good as or better than an acoustic instrument from a purely technical standpoint. This is 2007 and we have mastered the ability for electronic instruments to mimic acoustic ones.

Having said that, electronic instruments just seem cold and sterile and too perfect, which is why most musicians of all kinds still play the acoustic variety. Music is an intensely human form of expression and giving it over to electronics seems to rob the humanity somehow. Musicians still want to touch analog instruments made of hide, wood, glue, metal and hair and audiences still want to see them playing that.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:26 AM

Electronic kits are great--for certain uses, IMO. They're great for practicing and great for performances where you have to control your sound (they're used a lot in church bands). I wouldn't use it for a live situation, though.

Electronic drumsets are, at the core, just a keyboard with the keys placed in the positions of drums. Now, putting a few electronic pads in with your kit to get different sounds is cool! I just think it kind of lame when a drummer goes out for a gig with a little electronic set.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

Not happening live. First off you need a monstrous PA to make the sound acceptable live and compete with the band.... and that's out front (FOH). Band isn't going to like running your E kit through the monitors and even if they did, it wouldn't cut it sound-wise (unless you play pretty quiet). You basically need a dedicated PA for E Kit to pull it off. I've played a few E Kits on small, med and large stages, unless you have a separate (sound) system you'll be wanking.

Live if your monitors aren't perfect (ya right) it will be a nightmare. Add to that the fact that you have to get used to the sound of your drums coming at you from the sides, not 16 inches in front of you, E Kits take some getting used to. Don't expect to be happy playing an E Kit live unless your touring with a pro sound co.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlynate77 View Post
1. do people hate you if you use them live
You might encounter some snobbery if you drive an e-kit.
Quote:
2. if i wanted to play them live what would i need to get
Depending on how loud your band is, the bare minimun would probably be a Roland TDA-700 http://www.roland.com/products/en/TDA-700/index.html unless your band is very good on noise discipline.
Quote:
3. is that set really worth the price
Roland makes really good equipment. I own a Roland SPD-S sampler, two PM-1 drum monitor/powered speakers and a KC-100. I have no issues with any of my Roland gear.