DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

Default Top rated double bass pedal?

I'm in the market for a new double bass pedal. My old pacific was never any good since new. I'm able to play double bass faster and cleaner one a single pedal then this old think. I'm looking into the Axis & DW series. Also I love the old Ludwig single speed king. I see Ludwig makes a double bass pro pedal as well which if its as good as the old speed king that would be my choice. It seems like I can never find a pedal that the left side does not lag or has a much different feel. Any help would be cherished.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Top rated double bass pedal?

Search button...
20 chars
Old 08-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirwill View Post
I'm in the market for a new double bass pedal. I'm looking into the Axis & DW series.
Both great pedals. But way different feels between the two companies, and different pedals within each company line.
Quote:
Also I love the old Ludwig single speed king. I see Ludwig makes a double bass pro pedal as well which if its as good as the old speed king that would be my choice.
Whole different beast from a Speed King (which Ludwig still makes). The Pro double pedal feels much like a Tama IC (to me)
Quote:
It seems like I can never find a pedal that the left side does not lag or has a much different feel.
The Off-Set pedal (here: http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...4-3415_IMG.jpg ) certainly takes care of the "one side feels different from the other" issue. Both sides run a drive shaft, and there's a spring at both ends of the drive shaft, for tension adjustment. Get your feet on as many pedals as you can, and see what feels best "to you". I've played darn near every pedal out there, and for a single pedal, my money went towards the Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive. I own 2. For a double pedal, I bought the Off-Set pedal system.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:08 AM

There are many treads about this subject. Iron cobras, pearl eliminators, dw 9000, longboards. You need to get to your local drum store or guitar center and try them out for yourself.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:25 AM

Quote:
I'm in the market for a new double bass pedal. My old pacific was never any good since new. I'm able to play double bass faster and cleaner one a single pedal then this old think. I'm looking into the Axis & DW series. Also I love the old Ludwig single speed king. I see Ludwig makes a double bass pro pedal as well which if its as good as the old speed king that would be my choice. It seems like I can never find a pedal that the left side does not lag or has a much different feel. Any help would be cherished.

I was looking into the same pedals as you and went with the 9000. The axis pedals don't feel very good for anything but speed and don't deliver much power. The 9000 are good all around for whatever you want too play. They've held up well after doing some tours with them.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:46 AM
Silver Member

Thank you all very much for the great info and also the info and pics of the off set pedals thats the first time I have ever seen that type of pedal and it looks like a fine piece. Thanks again.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:54 AM
Pioneer Member

Im a big fan of the iron cobras. I havent had too much experiance with the eliminator but its great because of the different color thing it has.

I definitley prefer the DW9000 and 5000 much better than axis pedals.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:05 AM
Platinum Member

read my name, search some threads, get your feet on some pedals.

I'm going to say this for another time:

If i had a nickel for everytime someone created a "which double bass pedal is the best" thread.......i would own a custom SQ2

Old 08-15-2007, 03:35 AM
Platinum Member

I'm in the market for a new double bass pedal. My old pacific was never any good since new..... I'm looking into the Axis & DW series. ....It seems like I can never find a pedal that the left side does not lag or has a much different feel. Any help would be cherished.

Axis is going to get the nod if you want the best symmetrical feel. Axis gives you the ability to mount the slave side spring assembly in the same position as the primary side pedal, making the feel of both pedals as close to 'even' as your going to get. You cannot obtain this feel with DW, Pearl, Yamaha or Tama as all their double pedal's have both springs mounted on the primary frame, which in turn creates a 'lame' unbalanced feel (just gave it away to their designers).

The Axis double was designed to be set up with the springs on the left sides of each pedal's frame. This creates the most natural balanced 'feel' and affords the best performance hands down. Your feet are actually quite sensitive at detecting differences in resistance zones, all but Axis seem to be stupid to the mechanics of this, though they will (have to) catch on. The only neg to this method of spring mounting is the secondary beater will be 'unsupported' when the UDS is disconnected, causing it to flop around freely in transit. There are ways to manage this and given the 'feel' created by this spring placement, the problem doesn't even tip the scale in the least.

Add in the superiority of the Axis UDS in comparison to the others weak and limited connecting shaft's and its obvious there's no pedal on the market that can match Axis performance and feel. The 'Trick' Detonator' by the nature of it's design has symmetrical spring action, but you have to be able to live with the limitations of their compression spring, which is mainly lack of feel/performance at higher tension settings and its limited high tension ability. Not a problem for most drummers. Again... Trick needs to offer an extension spring model.