DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 06-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Slowest Metal Ever

Fair enough! It's everyone to their own. Listening to something like Brian Eno's 'Neroli' gives you a good basis on which to build into newer bands like Sunn, but the principles are largely the same. It's not really designed as 'music' to be 'listened' to as such, but more as a means to invoke an emotive state. If you approach it from that point of view, it makes more sense; but that doesn't mean you like it.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Pioneer Member

Good time keeping hahaa. Definitley not my type of music but i guess others like it.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:52 AM

Personally I am into the more sludgy side of doom (especially the ones without the crap lyrics).

For all of those who say that Sunn O))) and similar isn't music, you should check out some of John Cage's writings and music, he gives much the same perspective on music, but from a classical instead of metal background.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOnSix View Post
I listened to 3 sun 0))) videos and waited for them to actually start playing something...BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAA,BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA,BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, BLA, BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, BLA, BLA, BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAA....
I can't imagine anything more annoying. I feel like this isn't even actuall music, just noise .
I appreciate your opinion(or the worse"in all due respect") but I dont think you need to take this much space or effort to say how much you dont like something. Music is music, even if its rap or hip-hop. If you hate it that much then just give a simple "thumbs down", or a Fett 2oo5 type response thats all that is needed, and a little bit more respected, Thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthehero View Post
Those guys must be really depressed.
They might be, or they might not be. Personally I dont find this music deppresing at all. I wont say its the best example of doom rock, but its not the worst. To be honest, one of my favorite bands is Opeth, they have incredibly deppresing and foreboding lyrics, but their music has a way of lifting my soul, on the other hand-my all-time favorite band Porcupine Tree, has incredibly relevant lyrics but still doesn t exactly "lift my spirit". I guess music is the one thing left in this world that gives the listener the choice, and discretion, to take it for what it means to the individual listening. Oh yeah, I love Tool so much that I cant even listen to them anymore, too much self-destruction and confusion there. Right now I cant subject myself to 'em. But I still love their music!
Old 07-01-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdirtdider856 View Post
I appreciate your opinion(or the worse"in all due respect") but I dont think you need to take this much space or effort to say how much you dont like something. Music is music, even if its rap or hip-hop. If you hate it that much then just give a simple "thumbs down", or a Fett 2oo5 type response thats all that is needed, and a little bit more respected, Thanks
I don't like to state opinions without backing...
Old 07-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOnSix View Post
I don't like to state opinions without backing...
OK , so what are you saying? < I > will not deliberately put something out with a long strand of AAAA's and BLAAAAH's without at least an explanation of what I feel is wrong with what I am posting "my opinion" on. I respect your taste, just not your reply...seems like a typical youtube-type comment. Its cool though, I guess.....DRUM ON!

Last edited by crdirtRider856; 07-01-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Pioneer Member

[quote=crdirtdider856;454405.seems like a typical youtube-type comment. I[/QUOTE]

Some here are just typical Youtube commenters....
Old 07-01-2008, 03:11 PM

Not heard the band and I can't watch the vid at work, but as far as doom metal bands go, no-one has mentioned Candlemass. I really like their stuff, especially songs like Sorcerer's Pledge & Through The Infinite Halls Of Death. Besides that, I can't say I've really gotten into other doom metal bands.

On the vocal side of things though, it is, as has been said, each to their own. Personally I like a good bit of Grindcore. It's more the whole feel of thin thing rather than what the songs are trying to say (and to be honest, half the lyrics are nonsense anyway, but who cares - it's fun)

I always remember an interview with Napalm Death back when Lee Dorian was the 'singer' and he openly admitted to just making grunting sounds as they played too fast for him to put any words in! I used to show that video to all my mates like "look at this - how silly is that?" and it ended up growing on me.

CopperBomb
Old 07-02-2008, 04:32 AM
Gold Member

I wish I had taken the time to read through this before, I like sun O)) quite a bit (though I personally don't have any of their music). I am really digging the video where Malefic of the band Xasthur (Xasthur is a killer black metal band) enters the stage, killer stuff; dark as hell.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hxp304tivas
Old 07-02-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
OK , so what are you saying? < I > will not deliberately put something out with a long strand of AAAA's and BLAAAAH's without at least an explanation of what I feel is wrong with what I am posting "my opinion" on. I respect your taste, just not your reply...seems like a typical youtube-type comment. Its cool though, I guess.....DRUM ON!
the blaaaahhhs were the best textual representation of the noises coming from my speakers...

What's wrong with what I am posting "my opinion" on, is exactly what I said it was, the long rediculous stacked octaves that i assume is supposed to be the melody. I hard;y think that anything I typed would qualify as a typical youtube comment, as you put it. but like you said, it's all about the drums in the end. (which that video had none of. sorry had to sneak that in there ha)
Old 07-02-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
To be honest, one of my favorite bands is Opeth,
Opeth! Nice choice.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett2oo5 View Post
Opeth! Nice choice.
Yeah, I love every cd that they ve released but when I found out that Martin Lopez had left, I was a little dissapointed to say the least. Max is good, but hasnt really impressed me like Martin. I ll most likely warm up to the new lineup though. After all Mikeal Ackerfeldt is just a genius when it comes to arranging. I met him at Sounds of The Underground, and he was actually alot funnier and "jovial?" than I expected. Just seemed like a pretty cool guy. That made me like Opeth even more.