DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-09-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Evans Snare Drum Heads

Hey everyone.
Just wondering if you guys could help me out, I need a new snare batter head and at the moment I like the sound of Evans. I have Evans EC2 tom heads and they sound great. I used to be a Remo guy but to be honest I found a lot of drummers (especially the newer ones) tend to just buy any Remo head because of it's name, and that "all the good drummers" have Remo. This and the fact that I bought a Remo Powerstroke 3 batter head which wore out after one week is the reason I switched to Evans. I like the sound of the Evans heads but I've never had an Evans on my snare, so I was wondering if any of you guys (especially those of you who use Evans) could tell what kind of sounds you get from different Evans snare heads.
(E.g Genera Dry has a ??? sound, EC 1 sounds like ??? etc :S)

Thanks Alot!

punkuzz900
Old 08-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Evans Snare Drum Heads

Take a look at evans website, if you go under the head's section it has a diagram of what kind of sound each model head produces, check it out!

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EVAProductsDS.aspx?ID=12
Old 08-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

I don't prefer the Genera (with the muffling ring underneath) heads on the snare - they just have a response I don't care for and feel a bit sluggish. The reverse power center head sounds OK, with a bit of ring and decent crack. I really like the SD dry head for a meaty snare sound.

I find it hard to compare Evans heads to Remo. They just sound a bit different. To me the Evans heads are a bit boxier, the Remo heads are more direct and lively. In the audience (or after audio processing) there isn't really that much difference, IMO.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:03 PM

cheers guys =] my message must be at least 20 characters.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

i love evans heads and use G2's over G1's for toms, EMAD on my bass drum and a power center rev dot over hazy 300 on the snare... the power center's are great heads IMHO..
Old 08-12-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evans_69 View Post
i love evans heads and use G2's over G1's for toms, EMAD on my bass drum and a power center rev dot over hazy 300 on the snare... the power center's are great heads IMHO..
I agree with evan69, Power Center rev dot is a great drum head
Old 08-12-2007, 09:23 PM

i find that the coating on evans is much better than remo heads. my g2 coated are standing up very well compared to my ambassador coated snare which lasted only a week.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:49 PM

I use G1īs on all my snares. Every now and then the power center reverse. But the other snare models, HD, ST, HD dry, EC2 etc. donīt do nothing for me.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member

I have a Genera HD Dry batter on my 14" wood snare. I recommend it if you want a controlled sound that does not ring too much, if you only want a small amount of ring. This is the sound I'm going for, in fact I even put a moongel at its very edge, however I don't know how it would perform live. For my purposes I am pretty convinced that without the moongel it would sound good live, especially since with increased volume you can get some more ring out of it. It really is a good head and lives up to the "heavy duty" title, and gives a good rimshot and crack to my crappy snare drum.

I don't know about their other heads too much, but Evans' website has a lot of information about the sound of their different heads.

Good luck hunting heads,

YEM
Old 08-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

I've got a coated G1 on my 13" steel snare. I love it because my snare is now extremely sensitive. Unfortunately, since it is steel, the thin unmuffled head means there can be to much ring when you play farther from the center without dropping the volume. I don't have a complaint with the head though, I think that's just the nature of my snare.
On my 14" Slingerland wood snare I have a Genera HD (not my choice, I just had it lying around). When I replace it I think I'll go for something slightly less muffled - due to the rounded bearing edges on this snare it can be a bit dead. Not enough to cause a problem, but probably more fit for recording than live, where you want more overtones for cut. However, the head is still surprisingly sensitive.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

i have a genera dry on mine, its pretty good, great sound, but i would go for something a bit thicker next time I buy.