DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-09-2007, 06:14 AM

Default My dream kit.. That I now OWN!!! (A Dream Come True)

I was on ebay last Friday and saw this kit.. figured i would never get the money for it.. la-de-da.. But I am a dreamer and I decided to send the seller a message anyways.. Well because of the amount of interest I showed he told me he was gona make this kit mine!! He said there was 55 best offers and He almost accepted one cause it was all he wanted to get out of it... but he said he would rather see this Beauty go to a Good home then see someone resell it. How sweet is that? So I am going to put 1000$ down on it this coming Friday and I will take home 1/3 of the kit.. I will have the complete setup in the middle of October. Its an 8 piece Pearl Masterworks.. not sure of the exact color or year.. Or if it is an artisan or not. I am gona call Pearl tomorrow and request some info on the serial numbers. I picked it up for 3g's With 4 boom stands, 3 tom stands(2cymbal/tom), the hihat stand, and the snare stand.. Whatcha guys think? A nice upgrade from my 1999 Pearl Export Select eh?
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2007, 06:25 AM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: My dream kit.. That I now OWN!!! (A Dream Come True)

Wow, I had to take Excedrin...that color is bright *lol*

Looks nice, although I don't get a good feeling from the description of the deal you have going with the seller. Let me get this straight:

You're paying $1000 and you're only taking home 1/3 of the kit. Which pieces? Then he's going to hold the rest of the kit until October when you have the rest of the money?

He had "Make an Offer" on the auction. He received 55 offers to pay the full amount up front, but decides to let you pay it off over a few months just so it goes to a good home? You're buying a set of drums, not a puppy.

Just be careful. Something about this doesn't seem right to me. Is he local?
Old 08-09-2007, 06:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Wow, I had to take Excedrin...that color is bright *lol*

Looks nice, although I don't get a good feeling from the description of the deal you have going with the seller. Let me get this straight:

You're paying $1000 and you're only taking home 1/3 of the kit. Which pieces? Then he's going to hold the rest of the kit until October when you have the rest of the money?

He had "Make an Offer" on the auction. He received 55 offers to pay the full amount up front, but decides to let you pay it off over a few months just so it goes to a good home? You're buying a set of drums, not a puppy.

Just be careful. Something about this doesn't seem right to me. Is he local?
Phew, yeah, that's scary. I agree w/ fourstrings.

I'd do this; Take the kick, a rack tom, a floor tom, and a snare. At least this way, if you get robbed or something goes wrong - you've got *at least* a 4pc. kit. If he says that's too much, skip the snare. I'd make sure you take the kick home, no matter what.

Don't leave him feedback on eBay until you've got the entire kit in your possession, also - so you have at least some form of leverage over the situation during this period of partial-ownership.

Just my take on it.

Otherwise, congrats!
Old 08-09-2007, 06:47 AM

Its from the House of Guitars.. Which is possible one of the biggest instrument dealers on the east coast(Its like a frikkin museum!!)... I am taking home the snare... the8x8 and the 10x10..he said he didn't want me to walk away with a 4 piece kit and leave him hanging. He said because of the interest I showed he was gona make sure this kit goes to me . He received 55 offers.. with one of them being 2800. He said he was about to accept it untill he read his messages. These guys are not hurting for money..they would rather see someones dream come true rather then someone resell it for twice the price.(I asked him the same question you did fourstring) The crazy thing is.. I only live 45 mins from this place.. And my bassist happens to know the Owners of the store personally.. he was in a band with one of them. at first it felt like it was just too good to be true... But now I know that its a made deal. It feels like this kit came too me ..after 9 hard years of practice =)

Last edited by PdoubleE; 08-09-2007 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:03 AM
fourstringdrums

I've heard of House of Guitars. Well I suppose seeing as it's a reputable store, you're just putting it on Lay-a-way basically, but I would still be careful and sign an agreement. It still just seems odd that even a large store would pass up 55 cash now offers and hold part of a set for 3 months. Most stores only do one month lay-a-way.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:12 AM

He actually asked if I would be able to do 1000$ a month.. and take home an agreed amount of the kit. He also told me he would have the papers ready for me to sign when I get there. the owner of the store is a very.. umm eccentric person I am told. My bassist chris and the owners Grew up with Billy Sheehan.. They toured with Talas. they were "Personal Rodie's" they hung out and got wasted with the band and got paid for it. I have heard TONS of stories.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:15 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdoubleE View Post
He actually asked if I would be able to do 1000$ a month.. and take home an agreed amount of the kit. He also told me he would have the papers ready for me to sign when I get there. the owner of the store is a very.. umm eccentric person I am told. My bassist chris and the owners Grew up with Billy Sheehan.. They toured with Talas. they were "Personal Rodie's" they hung out and got wasted with the band and got paid for it. I have heard TONS of stories.
Well if you have paperwork to protect yourself, then go for it.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Administrator

I guess its nice that he is willing to do the set over time, pieces at a time, but if I had 55 offers with the highest being 2800.00, I'm sure I could wait a while to collect 3000.00. He is losing nothing, of course making another 200 from you. If this is a big store I'm sure he has no cash flow problems, so he made another 200.00. As you said, these guys arent hurting for money, but it sounds like a used car dealer..."Hey I got a guy who will give me 2800. right now, but for 3000. I'll hold it for you." I do hope this works out and doesnt become a nightmare.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:22 PM

Personally i think it looks grose haha but to each his own, glad you have your dream kit!
Old 08-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Silver Member

I saw that kit on ebay! I was drooling over it for a week.
Congratulations! An 8 piece Masterworks is a dream kit for certain, and quite a step up from an Export. It's like going from the ghetto to the Four Seasons.
I think you are the first person on the is forum with a Masterworks kit, too!
Love those inner plies of African Mahogany on the large toms and kick. How many plies is that snare? 15?

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece

Last edited by hateplow; 08-10-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Big_Philly

Dude, where are my sunglasses :D Beautiful kit! Nice, deep toms, must sound really sweet!
Old 08-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

THEY LOOK EDIBLE!!!!!!!!!! in more ways than 1! dreams do come true
Old 08-09-2007, 05:53 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
THEY LOOK EDIBLE!!!!!!!!!! in more ways than 1! dreams do come true
*lol* I was scrolling down to the latest message and it looked like you wrote "THEY LOOK HORRIBLE!!!!!!!"

I was going to say, c'mon now, be nice *lol*
Old 08-09-2007, 06:38 PM

So, Masterworks kits are pretty much amazing as !@#$. I was going to order one, but there was no way I was prepared to wait 8 months and keep playing my Export! Seriously, good catch my friend. They are really great drums, finish isn't my favorite, but I'm sure it's stunning in person. Good sizes too. I like squared toms. Don't stress too much while you're waiting for October to roll around!!!

You lucky dog, you.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
*lol* I was scrolling down to the latest message and it looked like you wrote "THEY LOOK HORRIBLE!!!!!!!"

I was going to say, c'mon now, be nice *lol*
.Edible...as in a crunchy cucumber, or a succulent cantaloupe, etc. Moi ? always nice! : )
mommy raised a good boy!
Old 08-09-2007, 10:36 PM

Sweet kit bro- Unique finish, and I'm loving that setup!!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Gold Member

I can honestly say, that I don't think but one or two other kits on this site have stopped me dead in my tracks like this one did. Absolutely stunning.

Sometimes people just do nice things. I honestly don't believe he got offered 2800, but he probably got offered 2200 or something like that. Needless to say, doing this from a shop in person with papers is the best possible situation for you.

I once bought a telescope for $5000 from a guy. I paid him 3K down and $1000 a month for 2 months.

I got the scope after I paid in full. Never saw the scope in person. I just checked his references and he checked my credit.

I was totally happy with the scope.

He was a great guy.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:46 AM

wow, I think you have now inspired me for my next kit. She's beautiful
Old 08-10-2007, 03:15 AM

Nice kit man I really like the finish on the paint job there

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24312
Old 08-10-2007, 05:03 AM

I cant seem to find ANY Phone number for Pearl.. I really Want to know if it is a Artisan or just the plain masterworks?.. If any of you guys have any kinda info let me know... Thanks for the kind words guys(and gals if any) I was told the snare is the same as the toms.. which I am guessing 8 ply. I was told it is African Mahogany on the low toms and bass.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:46 PM

So last night I brought home the snare.. the 8x8 and the 10x10. This finish is amazing.. and flawless. Of course all of the heads are shot but i was kinda expecting that. I just need to come up with the money QUICk.. so i can bring home the other 5 pieces!
Old 08-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
So last night I brought home the snare.. the 8x8 and the 10x10. This finish is amazing.. and flawless. Of course all of the heads are shot but i was kinda expecting that. I just need to come up with the money QUICk.. so i can bring home the other 5 pieces!
Have you considered armed robbery? That could get you some fast cash.

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Old 08-11-2007, 06:57 PM

Yeah.. HAHA I really have actually
Old 08-11-2007, 06:59 PM

What are the tom sizes? And with those tom stands is it possible to get the larger toms that are in the positions of rack toms and get them as low as floor toms?
Old 08-11-2007, 07:06 PM

they are 8x8 10x10 12x12 14x14 16x16 18x18.. the bass is 20x22 and the snare is 6.5x14.. yeah The14x14 will be right next to the 16x16
Old 08-11-2007, 07:23 PM

I really really love the finish... its great...
Old 08-12-2007, 09:54 PM

My first snare I ever bought was a Yamaha Musashi 6.5x13 and I loved it.. Now that I have this Masterworks snare Its almost unbelievable how good it sounds in comparison. Dont get me wrong for the price the Mushashi is Awesome.. but you cant even begin to compare the two..
Old 08-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Blimey!!!!

Sounds like a good deal, providing you follow Robs advice.

Whats the name of that color?

Its custom right?

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 08-13-2007, 10:19 PM

Oh don't worry.. I would of never walked out of the store if I didn't get paperwork to protect my ass. I cant seem to find what finish it is. Yeah Its all custom. I found out that the snare is 6 ply.. The bass is 8 ply.. And the Toms are 4 ply with reinforcement rings(that means AMAZING sound) If you guys have ANY info at all .. What the finish is called.. What kind of wood the outer veneer is.. Please help a fellow drummer out. It would be Much appreciated . Thank you All!!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:57 AM

Very nice kit i think it would look great with a sunberst colour..... huh ebay such great deals where would we be without it lol.... i think it could of been set up a little better like having the toms over the top of the kick and having them in a continuing pattern but it all comes down to how people are comfterble thats hard to spell DAMN..... can u give me an artist who uses this kit i would like to see it in action but if you cant thats ok......
Old 08-14-2007, 04:18 AM

WOW! Great kit man, I'm a sucker for green awesome finish. Pearl makes very good drums and incredible hardware I think you will be very happy behind this kit for many years to come! The finish is very unique, I have never seen that finish before and thats what makes it so cool. What exactly is the difference between Masterworks and the Masters Customs? Back in the 90's I bought a set of the Masters and they were great drums always had a great sound. Good Luck, enjoy!
Old 08-14-2007, 05:24 AM

Thanks man.. It will last a lifetime!! Masterworks are the ONLY completly hand made drums on the market.. They even make the shells by hand... and from what I understand they even diecast the hoops by hand(not sure on that though..) Like my two floor toms have 2 inner plys of mahogany.. the Bass is all mahogany(except the outer ply.. Which I think is tamo? well it looks like tamo.) The rack mounts are maple.. You can literally have any non-graphic finish you can possibly dream of. The possibilities are endless.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:42 AM

So I found out that this Is an Artisan finish. Pearl's customer service Had absolutely no clue.
They couldn't even tell me Any info on the serial numbers. I took my snare to the closest drum shop and the guy was in Awe. He said it was Def. The Tamo finish. And offered me 500$ for it.. well to say the least I told him he was crazy and I will have this drum till the day I die. Now I still need to come up with a butt-load of cash.. Until then.. I will work on posting pics of this Beautiful snare. =)
Old 08-15-2007, 03:49 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Thanks man.. It will last a lifetime!! Masterworks are the ONLY completly hand made drums on the market.. They even make the shells by hand... and from what I understand they even diecast the hoops by hand(not sure on that though..) Like my two floor toms have 2 inner plys of mahogany.. the Bass is all mahogany(except the outer ply.. Which I think is tamo? well it looks like tamo.) The rack mounts are maple.. You can literally have any non-graphic finish you can possibly dream of. The possibilities are endless.
Most companies make their drums 100% by hand. Shells, lugs, hoops etc.. on the high end series.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Most companies make their drums 100% by hand. Shells, lugs, hoops etc.. on the high end series.
I know the tama starclassics are mass produced.. So are the pearl masters. and references.. Almost every single custom company that I know of uses Keller shells... Smd drums.. C&C drms. Percision drum co.. I think even GMS uses keller... not sure.And I know DW did for Many years. Someone feed me the worng info and i did a lil research.. Odery makes completly hand made drums.. And Sonor SQ2's are hand made. I guess every DW set now is hand made.. Im sure there is other's also.. But even with the sq2's you cant get mahogany.

Last edited by PdoubleE; 08-15-2007 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:31 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
I know the tama starclassics are mass produced.. So are the pearl masters. and references.. Almost every single custom company that I know of uses Keller shells... Smd drums.. C&C drms. Percision drum co.. I think even GMS uses keller... not sure.And I know DW did for Many years. Someone feed me the worng info and i did a lil research.. Odery makes completly hand made drums.. And Sonor SQ2's are hand made. I guess every DW set now is hand made.. Im sure there is other's also.. But even with the sq2's you cant get mahogany.
DW and Yamaha make their own shells. I thought Tama did as well, but I guess not.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Tama does make their own shells, but their methods of construction are machine-orientated.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Big_Philly

I think Starclassics are mainly hand-built... or at least the shells.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Pioneer Member

stunning. I love the finish.... the green is just killer. Nice kit -- $3000 puts you in the price range with a LOT of nice kits. But it is nice that you got what you always wanted. Congrats.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:10 AM

Yeah.. But nothing came close to this kit.. I was seriously looking at the Tama Starclassic Bubinga omni-tune.. I am in love with that kit.. but it was 3500... And Any 5 piece custom kit with hardware is right around the same price.... The sonor delites are 3500 just for the 5 piece shell pack.. The 6 piece Mapex Orion with hardware is frikkin 4800.. So I think I lucked out with an 8 piece Artisan Masterworks with all the hardware for 3000. ... concidering the shell pack Alone is listing for 14,680$ on pearls site (Holy WOW)!