DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-08-2007, 02:39 AM
Jusstickinaround

Default Mr. Rogers

I'm thinking of trading my Ludwig kit for this Rogers kit at a local drum shop. He also has a sky blue pearl Ludwig, but he told me that everyone wants that kit and nobody has shown any interest in the Rogers. He told me he likes Ludwig, so I might be able to swing a deal. Do I want to is the question, what do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:41 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Mr. Rogers

Just from the one picture, I'm liking the rogers more than your ludwig at the moment. What are the specs of the Rogers?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:42 AM
Silver Member

Go for the Rogers definitely.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:58 AM
fourstringdrums

Damn, you're going through as many kits as I do this year if you get this one :) What don't you like about the Ludwigs?

I can't speak for the physical differences between the two, but it is a beautiful kit.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:01 AM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Damn, you're going through as many kits as I do this year if you get this one :) What don't you like about the Ludwigs?

I can't speak for the physical differences between the two, but it is a beautiful kit.
I love the Ludwigs, but I'm not married to any kit, I suppose I just like the thrill of getting something different.The Rogers are cool so why not. The specs are 9x13, 10x14,16x16 and a 14x22, typical 60's sizes in blue glass glitter.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:06 AM

They look damn nice to me. I'd go for it. I'm never satisfied either. I get bored easy though.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:15 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Original Swiv-o-matic hardware, script logo, good condition, desirable finish and probably the sizes you're after as well. Triple check the condition of the shells and if they're good, I say bite. They're probably worth a fair amount as well...
Old 08-08-2007, 05:45 AM

Maybe this has already been answered in another thread, but what are your Luddys like? That Rogers kit looks like a real winner, but like others said, make sure you don't miss any blemishes or defects.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:57 AM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzdizz View Post
Maybe this has already been answered in another thread, but what are your Luddys like? That Rogers kit looks like a real winner, but like others said, make sure you don't miss any blemishes or defects.
The Rogers kit has some blemishes on the 16x16, I'll check the shells tomorrow. I know most of you have seen them, but here's the most recent photo of my Ludwigs.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:01 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
I love the Ludwigs, but I'm not married to any kit, I suppose I just like the thrill of getting something different.The Rogers are cool so why not. The specs are 9x13, 10x14,16x16 and a 14x22, typical 60's sizes in blue glass glitter.
I can appreciate that.

I have a new toy coming in tomorrow...*cough*
Old 08-08-2007, 06:04 AM

Oh lord those are nice! I don't know what to tell you after seeing them. It's like trading 5 twenty dollar bills for a hundred dollar bill. Good luck, and beautiful drums!
Old 08-08-2007, 06:31 AM

What color are the interiors of the Rogers? are they flat gray, or gray speckled? What do the paper tags say on the individual drums....... located inside the drum, you can see the paper tag through the vent hole. Post some numbers and particulars. Judging by the look of the claws on the BD, these should be (most likely), Speckled gray, Dayton, or Fullerton. The tag is about 2.25 " x3.5 inches. If they are early Fullerton even. Or they could be later, 9/72 Fullerton era drums.

By the way, its a nice set. How much boot are you going to throw at him?

I have an early Dayton, 1966 set of Rogers in the Sparkling Blue Pearl, 20-12-14FT-16FT, with matching Powertone snare drum. Pics in the signature link.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26473
Old 08-08-2007, 06:44 AM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ploughman View Post
What color are the interiors of the Rogers? are they flat gray, or gray speckled? What do the paper tags say on the individual drums....... located inside the drum, you can see the paper tag through the vent hole. Post some numbers and particulars. Judging by the look of the claws on the BD, these should be (most likely), Speckled gray, Dayton, or Fullerton. The tag is about 2.25 " x3.5 inches. If they are early Fullerton even. Or they could be later, 9/72 Fullerton era drums.

By the way, its a nice set. How much boot are you going to throw at him?

I have an early Dayton, 1966 set of Rogers in the Sparkling Blue Pearl, 20-12-14FT-16FT, with matching Powertone snare drum. Pics in the signature link.
How do you like the sound of the Rogers? Can you give a fair comparison to a b/o badge Ludwig six ply kit? Those kits you have are great looking drums.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I can appreciate that.

I have a new toy coming in tomorrow...*cough*
Haha can't wait for pics of that new "toy"! You better take SO MANY PICS MAN!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:52 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyepanda View Post
Haha can't wait for pics of that new "toy"! You better take SO MANY PICS MAN!
I will...and I should actually clarify. new toy Part 1 of 3 :)

End thread hijack *lol*
Old 08-08-2007, 03:30 PM

I really do love them. Ive never owned any ludwig drums. I started on Rogers in 1975, and they were the only drums Ive ever owned till 2001. I have the Ayotte customs.......... and um....... I am glad I did not buy them new, being that I have the rogers, the question would be Why? The Rogers are vintage. And they sound great. I am always complimented by other drummers about the sound of my drums.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Gold Member

Keep both? : ^ P

The Rogers shells will have a little more attack and cut, and the Wigs will be a little warmer sounding. I would go with the rogers. A clean vintage script logo kit is MUCH harder to find than a clean Ludwig. Your Ludwigs look really nice though.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

I say go for it.

In terms of sound they could both be the same, but like you said - Its the thrill of something different!!!

lol

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 08-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Jusstickinaround

OK, he wants my drums and about $300 for the Rogers. Deal or no deal? The Rogers are very clean, however the mounted tom didn't seem to have as much sustain mounted on the Rogers tom mount as my Ludwigs on the Ludwig tom mount. I suppose rims would solve that problem.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:04 AM

What heads are on the Rogers?

Old 08-10-2007, 01:34 AM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
What heads are on the Rogers?
I think they were coated Ambassadors or Evans G1.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:48 AM

I would mess with the tuning a bit and make sure the dampener wasnt engaged. You might also move the drum down the tom arm rod just a bit at a time, checking the sound along the way. Believe it or not, it can make a significant difference where it is placed.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:00 AM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
I would mess with the tuning a bit and make sure the dampener wasnt engaged. You might also move the drum down the tom arm rod just a bit at a time, checking the sound along the way. Believe it or not, it can make a significant difference where it is placed.
I take it you think it's a good deal. I'm going to look at them again tomorrow.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:57 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
This is a true and often unknown fact. Bob Gatzen has a video on the Evans website demonstrating how minor adjustments as to where the drum sits on the arm can have a huge impact on resonance.

RIMS on a vintage set? Sacralege! :)
Old 08-10-2007, 06:19 AM

Your drums and 300.00 bucks..........I am not sure it is a great deal. I would crack the heads, take a look at the interiors, are they clean? are the paper tags in place? and what do they say? Are these Cleveland (if so, check all the lug screws from the backside to insure they were not originally Bread and Butter lugged drums that have been retrofitted with Beavertail lugs, you can know this by the screw holes would have been enlarged to fit the Beavertails) tension rods should be square cut, no blips like on modern drums. Are they Dayton era drums? is the interior flat gray or speckled gray? Are they tagged Fullerton? or 9/72? check the nosing on the collet tighteners, check the double tom stem at the top, where the mount bracket is attached to the stem, see if that is cracked or has been sloppily repaired, check ALL the collet tighteners for that matter, (fullerton era tighteners are cast and do show stress fatigue with overtightening), check your floor tom brackets, if they are the machined type, make sure they are still tight to the mount, are the screws buggered up? Are there any extra holes around the mount on the bass drum that have been filled/ patched/ covered by the reinstallation of a correct mount?
In short, or long, as you would see it, go over these with a fine toothed comb before you make a deal. You have a nice looking set of Luddies...... Rogers are great drums, heh, I have 5 sets, but I would hate to see you trade a great set of ludwig drums for an inferior set of Rogers you are not going to be happy with, ever.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:33 AM
Jusstickinaround

Thanks for the help. I don't really like the idea of forking over $300 plus my kit, however the Rogers looks pretty clean and original. My Ludwigs, although they sound great, have some cosmetic issues and it would cost about the same to recover them. I think if I'm going to spend $300, I'd rather have a vintage kit that has the original finish. Plus the Rogers has a 10x14 mounted tom I wouldn't use so I'd probably put on ebay and try to make some of that cash back. Besides, I love the blue glass glitter finish.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:37 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
Thanks for the help. I don't really like the idea of forking over $300 plus my kit, however the Rogers looks pretty clean and original. My Ludwigs, although they sound great, have some cosmetic issues and it would cost about the same to recover them. I think if I'm going to spend $300, I'd rather have a vintage kit that has the original finish. Plus the Rogers has a 10x14 mounted tom I wouldn't use so I'd probably put on ebay and try to make some of that cash back. Besides, I love the blue glass glitter finish.
You have to follow your gut, and it sounds like you're doing just that. If they drums are in good condition, at least compared to the Ludwigs, and you can sell that extra tom so that actually make money on the deal, go for it.

You have to be happy with what you play. Yes gear isn't everything, but some, like myself and you it sounds, just like to experiment and find the set that suits us the most. Hell I'm on my 3rd Gretsch of the year! :)