DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 02-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: the much awaited yammie maple custom here here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Dan, did you know that lefties can do more things with their left hand than righties can with their right?

Theres a factoid a rightie Dad could use. ( Jackson looks great, btw )

i'm a righty but i can do more things with my left than most can do with their left ;) Really nice sounding drums. Not ugly, either.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 02-10-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
The other one he recommended was the 21" Sweet Ride..
I definitely recommend the sweet ride for nice wash and definition... Mine is in traditional finish, while I'm sure the brilliant has a tighter, more defined stick sound (havent heard the brilliant yet). My favorite thing about this ride is how well it responds to the stick "shoulder"- it has a beautiful crash to it as well. And once more, I freakin love your kit...
Old 02-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Sio! yes, the sweet ride is definitely on my short list now,,. Sounds like keeper. Its this or the Lenny White. Hope I can try them both side by side..thanks
Old 02-10-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sio_13 View Post
I definitely recommend the sweet ride for nice wash and definition... Mine is in traditional finish, while I'm sure the brilliant has a tighter, more defined stick sound (havent heard the brilliant yet). My favorite thing about this ride is how well it responds to the stick "shoulder"- it has a beautiful crash to it as well. And once more, I freakin love your kit...
Thanks! I keep homing to get some good pics of them so that I can post them here.. A photographer I'm not..

I want to play a sweet... I've heard so many good things about them. That absolute best ride that I have ever heard for all-around use is a 20" ping that Rolf used at Hillsong one night.. I happened to sit on that side about halfway up and it was the most beautiful sounding cymbal I have ever heard. I may end up going that way, but I'm afraid that it would still be a bit too much for where I play. Who knows, maybe I'll play there one day and then it won't be an issue.. LOL

Then again, Maybe Aydee and I should just begin a cymbal exchange program.. Hmmmmmm....

Peace!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post

Then again, Maybe Aydee and I should just begin a cymbal exchange program.. Hmmmmmm....

Peace!
So that would be, what, like a shared custody thing? LOL... In that case, I'd like some visitation rights too hehe
Old 02-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sio_13 View Post
So that would be, what, like a shared custody thing? LOL... In that case, I'd like some visitation rights too hehe
Now there's a thought! Have like a limewire/Napster type thing for cymbals. With drummers going through cymbals like Tom Cruise going through women, that would be a cool business idea. Rent-a-cymbal would be another .... Play a different set every week till you decide to get married; )
Old 04-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikaysrivastava View Post
Killer set..Where in India are u from??
Well, actually I'm from New York. India is also a home, shall we say.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Inspired by the "looking down on drummers" thread, I thought I'd take a top shot ( sorry, phone pic ) of all my cymbals, finally in place ( still waiting on the Lenny White Epoch ride ).

You can see a reasonably new Peace piccolo steel snare in the pic which is so jazzy its amazing, real tight or real loose ( Stan, are you listening? ).....

Name:  top shot.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  114.0 KB

Last edited by aydee; 04-17-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:37 PM

Sweet....and set up left-handed, the way it should be.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:48 AM

your a lefty? awesome.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdoubleE View Post
Oh yeah.... Love the dog too.. I had a female boxer without the croped ears.. I loved her to death.. We had to put her down recently. =( I still tear up when i think about her.
ours past away not too long ago.
he was white too.
had a heart murmer, he was only 4. stopped moving,couldnt walk or eat. it died the day before we were going to put it down.

Last edited by prempex; 05-20-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:21 PM

Lefty kits give me the heebie-jeebies, they always look unplayable.
Great kit none the less, must be loads of fun!
from your
tv set

Old 05-13-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Inspired by the "looking down on drummers" thread, I thought I'd take a top shot ( sorry, phone pic ) of all my cymbals, finally in place ( still waiting on the Lenny White Epoch ride ).

You can see a reasonably new Peace piccolo steel snare in the pic which is so jazzy its amazing, real tight or real loose ( Stan, are you listening? ).....

Attachment 18239
Nice to see a left handed drum kit just like they way us left-handed should set up our drums!!! lol nice kit man and nice cymbal set up!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:59 PM

Yummie!!!!

Thats allso a nice set........
Old 07-31-2008, 03:12 AM

Hey Aydee I noticed you are still using the EC2's how do you like them, happy with them I assume? I was thinking of using them on the Stage Cust that comes in in Oct, with Ebony Ambas on bottom.
I have heard mixed things about them, but about 60-75% in favor of them, I was just curious to know what you thought.

I went back and looked at the pics again, man! such a good looking finish. Were you ever able to get a sound bite up? Or did I miss it?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member

I have 2 issues with them Fett. I love the sound I get ( with G1 resos) .. BUT.. I wish they weren't as dampened sounding as they are in un-miked situations. Btw, I have them only on my 12, 10, & 8 toms.14 & 16 are G2s

If your kit will be miked on stage, they would be a good bet. My gigging kit is a vintageTAMA imperialstar ( with pinstripes ), but on the Yammies, the next time I'll probably go with G2s ( clear or coated.. not sure yet )
Old 07-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Gold Member

Aydee, man, that is a great looking kit. Just...wow.
It's backwards, though! :-P

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 07-31-2008, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Jon pretend your looking at a mirror.

Checked out your site. Very cool... whens the EP coming out?
Old 07-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks Jon pretend your looking at a mirror.

Checked out your site. Very cool... whens the EP coming out?
Thanks, man.

The EP is in VERY early stages right now. True story...when I was young, I always said I wanted to die when I was 27, like a ton of artists (Janis, Morrison, Hendrix, etc). I was stupid, whatever. Anyway, my idea then was that I would release my one great album and die in the same year.

Well, after starting pre-production, I was dumb enough to tell my wife about this. She's not superstitous usually, but it really bothered her...so she's asked me to wait until I turn 28 (end of March) to really get going, because she doesn't want me to tempt fate.

www.rossidrums.com
Old 07-31-2008, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

That IS hysterical. I've heard of last hurrahs but this is a first for a first hurrah!

Hope you don't fall into a mindset that some of my buddies did which was wanting everything so right and perfect ( which required all the planets in the universe to align themselves in a unique constellation ), before they would put any of their stuff down.

BUT, I'd never question a woman's instinct. Good luck with it, and hope to hear it next year...if you're around ; )
Old 07-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
That IS hysterical. I've heard of last hurrahs but this is a first for a first hurrah!

Hope you don't fall into a mindset that some of my buddies did which was wanting everything so right and perfect ( which required all the planets in the universe to align themselves in a unique constellation ), before they would put any of their stuff down.

BUT, I'd never question a woman's instinct. Good luck with it, and hope to hear it next year...if you're around ; )
Nah, I don't have that mindset at all...but I learned early on with my wife...she's not too crazy about most stuff, so the few things that she is nuts about, let her go, and it makes for a more peaceful existance all around!

www.rossidrums.com
Old 07-31-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
If your kit will be miked on stage...
It won't be mic'ed, and while that might be a "once in about 6 months" thing (having the drums mic'ed) Most of the time at gig's they will not be mic'ed. That would be about 4-5 gigs a month.

I like the idea of the Hydrualics but after using them, I didn't like how muffled it sounded. I do like how a lot of overtones are canceled but like other people have said they sound a little "dead" (I hate describing it like that)

I have heard the EC2s at GC and liked the sound but I don't know what they sound like outside (where most of the gigs would take place)

Now that you give me your perspective on them, I am second guessing my decisions. And don't really know where to go from here.

BTW what heads did you put on your lower toms? And did you do this to acheive more resonance?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett2oo5 View Post
It won't be mic'ed, and while that might be a "once in about 6 months" thing (having the drums mic'ed) Most of the time at gig's they will not be mic'ed. That would be about 4-5 gigs a month.

I like the idea of the Hydrualics but after using them, I didn't like how muffled it sounded. I do like how a lot of overtones are canceled but like other people have said they sound a little "dead" (I hate describing it like that)

I have heard the EC2s at GC and liked the sound but I don't know what they sound like outside (where most of the gigs would take place)

Now that you give me your perspective on them, I am second guessing my decisions. And don't really know where to go from here.

BTW what heads did you put on your lower toms? And did you do this to acheive more resonance?
Yup , same issues! ; ) Looking for something between ringy overtones and dead sounding thumps.

When I first put the EC2s on , I left the original YAMAHA 1 ply resos on. Needed a touch more overtone from the drums, I figured a G1 reso might do it. It does have more resonance, but the issue I think, is with the batters. I bet they sound great recorded ( which I never have- have recorded pinstripes, which work great ).

Having said all this, Fett don't get me wrong, its a really nice tuneful and tight sound. I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to drum sound and I want a touch longer decay on the drums.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:33 PM

The best combination I have found on my absolute maple's would be Remo emperor clear batter heads and remo ambassador resonant heads....this yields the best shell tone in my findings. I like to tune my kit very open and low, but still look for the bite when I hit hard, this combination seems to accomplish that. My 14x14 rings for days with this setup
Old 07-31-2008, 08:43 PM

hmmmm, so I guess I'll go with your strategy of
EC2s - 8, 10, 12
G2s - 14, 16
for batter heads. That makes sense to me.

As for resonants I really like the look for putting Ebony's on bottom, but I don't know if that will dampen too much, so I guess my reso decision is up in the air still.

Then if I get them on and don't like them I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy new heads. =/

Maybe I can get the boys at GC to help me out with trying different heads on the SC they have set up on their floor. I know them fairly well, perhaps they would be willing to take a drum outside one at a time and let me listen to it.

Normally I wouldn't make such a big deal about buying a head or two. And correct me if I am wrong) but to try to get the drums to match each other it would be a good idea to use the same or similar heads accross all drums. Well when you figure in 5 Toms that's a lot of heads, and I'm not on a budget to where I can just go get 5 heads when ever I feel like it.

Tough decisions... but maybe I'm making it harder than it needs to be. I don't know.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett2oo5 View Post
Tough decisions... but maybe I'm making it harder than it needs to be. I don't know.
Best bet? Go to the GC. and try the EC2s, the G2s clear, and the G2 coated (coated are a more distinct sound which you might or might not prefer). They'll do it for you.

Ask the guy to put em on any 12" tom ( which will have a stock reso anyway). Thats 90% of your sound, and in the case of the EC2s perhaps even more than that since they are the most dampened of the lot and the least responsive to the reso.

Once you take this call, picking the resos would be easy. Put your choices on 1 by 1 on the same drum and make your pick.

The reason I have G2s and not EC2s on my bigger toms is a personal preference towards a more rumbly ocean floor type sound with a longer decay for my lower end. You might not necessarily want that.

Lemme know how you go.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I have 2 issues with them Fett. I love the sound I get ( with G1 resos) .. BUT.. I wish they weren't as dampened sounding as they are in un-miked situations. Btw, I have them only on my 12, 10, & 8 toms.14 & 16 are G2s

If your kit will be miked on stage, they would be a good bet. My gigging kit is a vintageTAMA imperialstar ( with pinstripes ), but on the Yammies, the next time I'll probably go with G2s ( clear or coated.. not sure yet )
is the G2 like emperor?!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micael Öberg View Post
is the G2 like emperor?!
I'd say warmer than Emperor. I'm not much of a remo fan ( except for coated ambassadors for snares )
Old 07-31-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I'd say warmer than Emperor. I'm not much of a remo fan ( except for coated ambassadors for snares )
hows the attack on those heads?!

is it a big difference between coated or clear?!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micael Öberg View Post
hows the attack on those heads?!

is it a big difference between coated or clear?!

The attack is petty decent, though not as good as coated heads.

I've never had coated on my Yammies, but am tempted to try then, next change. Check WIll Kennedy's ( Yellowjackets) sound for how cool coated can sound.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

New Drum room, New Camera, New Pictures:Name:  3rd fl. dr 1.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  86.4 KB

Name:  3rd fl. dr 2.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  133.2 KB

Name:  3rd fl. dr 3.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  103.7 KB

Name:  3rd fl. dr 4.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  114.6 KB

Name:  3r flr r 5.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  83.3 KB

Name:  3rd fl. dr 6.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  119.2 KB

Name:  3rd fl. dr 7.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  97.5 KB

Name:  3rd fl. dr 8.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  84.8 KB
Old 08-12-2008, 09:23 PM
KARL MEMBER

Lovely my friend.
I think that`s one of the most recognizeable drum kits on here. Just when I see another Yammie Custom in this finish it reminds me of you aydee!

Really nice choice with the drums, I just had the chance to play a Birch Custom Absoloute in a store. It sounded beautiful...well, especially the snare drum. Cute crack. :-)

By the way, last winter I recorded a two tunes of my Pop/Rock band with a Chad Smith Pearl. fat sound, fat!

PS: Are you gonna replace those heads?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
By the way, last winter I recorded a two tunes of my Pop/Rock band with a Chad Smith Pearl. fat sound, fat!
PS: Are you gonna replace those heads?
Karl
Thanks, Karl. The Chad Smith really is a very versatile snare, you can get it to sound nice at many different tunings. It also has a nice natural high that you can get without overtightening.

Heads, Lol, do they look that bad??! Yes,, I'm very tempted to go EVANS coated.. lets see, will take a call soon.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:37 PM

The set is looking great man, as I have said before excellent choice of finish, sleek and interesting.

Did you get a Yamaha head with a hole already in it? Or did you cut that yourself?

Oh, and are those Pearl pedals?
Old 08-13-2008, 03:54 PM

Aydee

That's a lovely finish and cool set up! I owned a Yammie a long time ago ...a 'power V fusion'. Yamaha do make some great kits.

Looks like an 'ultimate' set up. Is this it? ...or are you gonna add stuff? More Cowbell anyone??
Old 08-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

More great drum porn, thanks for sharing your stash.

Do you have any sound files of you playing this bad boy?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
Looks like an 'ultimate' set up. Is this it? ...or are you gonna add stuff? More Cowbell anyone??
I'd love to add Dafnis Prieto's upside down frying pan! Yeah, seriously... a Cowbell and a remote-hat are somewhere on the agenda, and some mics..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
More great drum porn, thanks for sharing your stash.
Do you have any sound files of you playing this bad boy?
Thanks DMC. No sound files really except some short wanks with phone cameras on youtube.
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPg8_EI74C4 )

These drums are really spectacular sounding, and believe me, I'm unbiased when I say that
Old 08-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'd love to add Dafnis Prieto's upside down frying pan! Yeah, seriously... a Cowbell and a remote-hat are somewhere on the agenda, and some mics..

Thanks DMC. No sound files really except some short wanks with phone cameras on youtube.
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPg8_EI74C4 )

These drums are really spectacular sounding, and believe me, I'm unbiased when I say that
Even with the ghetto cell phone mic I could tell these drums have great sound. Your playing is very Brufordesque.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Your playing is very Brufordesque.
Some fooling on the kit, practicing fitting 5 stroke rolls into a half time shuffle pulse..not very well, I might add ..its kinda new to my arsenal.
...Accidentally I might have come off as a poor imitation of Bruford..( but I see where you're going with the analogy, though : )

Last edited by aydee; 08-19-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:22 AM

what's the finish on your kit..it looks hot..how's the overall sound of your set..do you use clears or coated heads..?