DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-31-2007, 02:30 AM

Default S-hoops?

Anyone here use these?

http://www.safehoop.com
Old 07-31-2007, 07:50 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: S-hoops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beechey View Post
Anyone here use these?

http://www.safehoop.com
I haven't tried them but I am curious as they seem to be the same as a tiple flanged hoop with the top part bent in the other direction.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 08-01-2007, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

Reminds me of the Slingerland stick saver hoop.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:17 AM
Gold Member

I have one on a 5.5 x 14 Brass snare. They do change the sound of the drummer a little. When I used it in the studio the drum sounded more like a big wood snare than a thin brass one. They take a little bite out of the drum and round out the sound a little more. They alse don't chew up sticks as fast.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:16 AM
Silver Member

Yes, my new Ahead 13 x 6 Chrome on Brass snare is outfitted with these hoops and they are great! They seem to be very rigid like die-cast hoops but sound more like lighter triple-flanged rims. Nice rimshot sounds as well (and as masonni mentioned, they're easier on the sticks).

spleen
Old 08-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

I have these top and bottom on one of my Keller maple shell kits (10-12-14) no snare(s) yet, will be getting soon. I've had them about 4 months now. S-Hoops instantly make an impression, they reek of quality, all the bulk and chrome jumps out of the box at you immediately.

I picked them up and liked their vibe instantly, could feel the weight and balance and was pleased, not the 'Damn, I've been ripped' feeling at all, for overpaying for something. Holding S-Hoop and striking with a finger you'll get a nice clean bell tone. Tone is remarkably consistent between hoops of same size, like a tuning fork, pretty impressive.
S-Hoop is wicked strong (extra material, flange) way stronger than die cast in the flex dept. Precision fit with Remo heads, haven't tried any other head brand yet.

I bought them for protection, noticed a dented bearing edge and knew it would be the last time if I had S-Hoops. I re-cut my toms then installed S-Hoops and feel good I won't have to deal with any more dents, re-cuts, they almost pay for themselves in that respect. The s (safty) flange does not get in the way at all on the toms, don't have snare S-Hoop(s) yet so can't comment on that.

The sound is what you would expect from such a hunk of material on toms. If you don't like the sound of die cast you probably won't like S-Hoop. Choke is an ugly word, I'll use 'focus'. S-Hoop doesn't choke the drums sound at all, sound is all there only in a tighter note. More compact sound than 1.6mm stamped steel hoops. I favor a tighter sound myself as opposed to a big-wide tone. Bottom end seems enhanced, less hi end overtone ring... nice.

All the bulk and chrome really does 'sexy-up' the look of the drums too, like a 59' Caddy, lots of chrome, way cool. The plating job is excellent/flawless also. I do find I can't touch the drums now without leaving finger prints, anywhere you touch them theres a wide expanse of shiny chrome, I'm doing a lot more wiping with a rag, finger smudges really stand out.

Not sure? I would suggest getting one 14", use it on both snare (if you have an 8 lug) and fl tom to get a taste of both applications (snare/tom), that way your not stuck with a set if you don't like them, although I see the used market is nil, so probably pretty easy to sell.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
I have these top and bottom on one of my Keller maple shell kits (10-12-14) no snare(s) yet, will be getting soon. I've had them about 4 months now. S-Hoops instantly make an impression, they reek of quality, all the bulk and chrome jumps out of the box at you immediately.

I picked them up and liked their vibe instantly, could feel the weight and balance and was pleased, not the 'Damn, I've been ripped' feeling at all, for overpaying for something. Holding S-Hoop and striking with a finger you'll get a nice clean bell tone. Tone is remarkably consistent between hoops of same size, like a tuning fork, pretty impressive.
S-Hoop is wicked strong (extra material, flange) way stronger than die cast in the flex dept. Precision fit with Remo heads, haven't tried any other head brand yet.

I bought them for protection, noticed a dented bearing edge and knew it would be the last time if I had S-Hoops. I re-cut my toms then installed S-Hoops and feel good I won't have to deal with any more dents, re-cuts, they almost pay for themselves in that respect. The s (safty) flange does not get in the way at all on the toms, don't have snare S-Hoop(s) yet so can't comment on that.

The sound is what you would expect from such a hunk of material on toms. If you don't like the sound of die cast you probably won't like S-Hoop. Choke is an ugly word, I'll use 'focus'. S-Hoop doesn't choke the drums sound at all, sound is all there only in a tighter note. More compact sound than 1.6mm stamped steel hoops. I favor a tighter sound myself as opposed to a big-wide tone. Bottom end seems enhanced, less hi end overtone ring... nice.

All the bulk and chrome really does 'sexy-up' the look of the drums too, like a 59' Caddy, lots of chrome, way cool. The plating job is excellent/flawless also. I do find I can't touch the drums now without leaving finger prints, anywhere you touch them theres a wide expanse of shiny chrome, I'm doing a lot more wiping with a rag, finger smudges really stand out.

Not sure? I would suggest getting one 14", use it on both snare (if you have an 8 lug) and fl tom to get a taste of both applications (snare/tom), that way your not stuck with a set if you don't like them, although I see the used market is nil, so probably pretty easy to sell.
Nice write-up Les. I'm thinking of picking up a 14" pair for snare. They are bound to sound nice on one of my snares.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 08-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post

Thanks for sharing your experience Les. I've not yet checked out the "tone" on mine but I will be sure to do that the next time they are off the drum. I'd also be interested to play them on toms--right now, the one on my snare seems to fit nicely with the aluminum hoops on my Yamaha MCAs. I'm loving the rim shot and rim click sounds these produce. I'd be interested to hear rim shots with these on my toms. And yes, I forgot to mention that they do look very cool!

spleen
Old 09-01-2007, 05:12 PM

I have them on my 7x14 trick snare. Very cool. I was going to do diecast but JT over at Trick talked me in to the S hoops. Hes always right! haha. I beat the hell out of my drums and the S hoops haven't bent or anything. Usually normal flange hoops will bend on me with in a couple of months. I got my snare in Feb. Good cross stick action too. Not that I every really do that though haha.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Silver Member

Interesting, I might have to try one out on my Yamy brass snare.