DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-26-2007, 10:59 PM

Default DIY Drum Triggering

I'm hoping somebody can help me out with this: I would like to take an old tom and use it to trigger different sounds. I've read about the Roland, ddrum, pintech triggers, but don't really know where to go from there. Could I simply just run the trigger through an amp or through various guitar effects (moogerfooger stuff?) or do I have to get a brain (no jokes!!) and then run it through effects? I would also like to use an effect pedal to control the different sounds. I guess I would like to be "guitar guy" through this triggered drum! Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Re: DIY Drum Triggering

HI there. This is my first post on the forum and I'd like to think it actually might be useful! Amazing!

I'm not massively knowledgeable on the world of triggered drum stuff but as far as I understand for what you're suggesting you will need some kind of brain/module/sound source that will accept drum trigger signals, or a synth with a MIDI input and something that will convert the trigger jack socket input to a din MIDI connector, as well as something to trigger the sounds.

In terms of the actual trigger you don't need to have a drum to attach one of the trigger units you suggested, you just need one of the stand alone rubber pads like you see on electronic kits or alternatley you could make your own for next to no cost.

You will then as I stated above need a sound source like this Alesis SR-16.

I do think however that the cheapest and easiest way to add electronic stuff to your acoustic setup will be (when it comes out anyway) this Alesis all in one job.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above, but I hope it helps and hello to everyone on the forum!
Old 08-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetal View Post
I'm not massively knowledgeable on the world of triggered drum stuff but as far as I understand for what you're suggesting you will need some kind of brain/module/sound source that will accept drum trigger signals, or a synth with a MIDI input and something that will convert the trigger jack socket input to a din MIDI connector, as well as something to trigger the sounds.

In terms of the actual trigger you don't need to have a drum to attach one of the trigger units you suggested, you just need one of the stand alone rubber pads like you see on electronic kits or alternatley you could make your own for next to no cost.

You will then as I stated above need a sound source like this Alesis SR-16.

I do think however that the cheapest and easiest way to add electronic stuff to your acoustic setup will be (when it comes out anyway) this Alesis all in one job.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above, but I hope it helps and hello to everyone on the forum!
All but the SR16 part. The SR is a drum machine only. In order to trigger sounds from it, you would need a MIDI converter. The converter takes your trigger signal (from pad/trigger) converts it to a MIDI signal, which would then be sent to the SR via MIDI cable.

I would get the Roland version of the last Alesis product above. For 5 bills, it only has 6 pads instead of 8, BUT it has an internal sampler which allows to you create & store your own sounds. Any kind of sound you want. It also has one or two inputs so you could add a triggered drum or electronic pad to it.

Good Luck....
Old 08-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

[quote=JJJ;340604 I would also like to use an effect pedal to control the different sounds. I guess I would like to be "guitar guy" through this triggered drum! [/QUOTE]

Look into the Roland SPD-S. It has 9 on board triggers. 6 pad and 3 edge triggers. And aux. input, for say, a kick trigger. It's a sampler, so you're not just a slave to the "factory sounds". It has built in effects, so you can flange, phase, echo, etc. It has 2 lines out. The way I use mine, 1 channel is "dry", and goes straight into a PM-1 monitor. The other channel is "wet" and runs thru my loop station (Electro-Harmonix 16 Sec. Delay) and Ernie Ball Jr. volume pedal before hitting a matching PM-1. As a sampler, vocals, individual notes or entire riff patterns, waves crashing, helicopter's flying, you name it, into the machine.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:34 AM
Platinum Member

Wow, I didn't realize the SPD-S has effects too. I've really been keeping my eye on these things but I am a bit hesitant because so many say the pads go dead.

Sometimes I hook up my guitar fx pedals to my TD6. Fun stuff. I do want to be able to record loops of my actual playing on the kit during performance. Kind of like Pat Mostelotto.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
... because so many say the pads go dead.
I take that rumor with a grain or two. The number of pro players (like Pat Mostelotto) that use this machine re-inforces my belief that I made the right choice. I know 2 other cats who own these machines, and none of us have had any trouble at all from them.
Quote:
Sometimes I hook up my guitar fx pedals to my TD6. Fun stuff. I do want to be able to record loops of my actual playing on the kit during performance. Kind of like Pat Mostelotto.
That would be totally possible to do thru the loop station. But there are better (and more expensive machines) for that.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I take that rumor with a grain or two.
Well that's good to know. I would really like to pick up an SPD-S eventually. I think it offers different uses to multiple pads. I'd probably mainly use it to trigger loops I've created.

Do you use the SPD-S to record loops of your kit live? Is it possible? If not, what else would you suggest for that? Both of my band mates have the Boss loop stations but I've never really messed with them myself.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Do you use the SPD-S to record loops of your kit live? Is it possible?
I create my live loops with my Electro-Harmonix 16 Sec. Delay. And it can be pushed way past 16 sec. The 16 Sec. is much like the Boss, but it has a MIDI. I don't think the Boss has that feature. My old bass player used a Boss, nice machine, but he couldn't wire up, which certainly is not a big problem, but a nice option to have (if everyone is MIDI linked).