DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 05-16-2006, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

I am fairly certain that Vinnie is somehow related to God.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Chip

Yeah, he's his second cousin. God created Jesus to try and make a better drummer, but failed.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:14 PM

does anyone know anything about vinnie's practicing methods / routines which he used in his formative years?
thanks.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:18 PM

Well, I remember reading somewhere that he used to practise in 7 for hours sometimes...
Old 06-10-2006, 05:59 PM

aside from vinnie's monster chops, he's definitely loves the Lord. and he's not afraid to express his belief. that has impressed me as much as his talent.i hope he writes a book on his conversion to Christianity,that would be of interest to me.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:53 AM

After watching the Vinnie, Dave and Steve battle and some of his other vids it made me realize how overrated Vinne is. All I watched him do in his solo's was roll variations all over the place, he had no creavitity, feel, groove or anything that showed me he thinks about what he's doing when he soloing. Also his solo's are allways the same thing....but in slightly different ways. On the other hand Dave's & Steve's solos were nicley put together and had some sort of feel to them that it was like they had an identity. That said I dont think Vinnie is a bad drummer by any means, obviously he knows how to play, but I think I could find a drummer from every town in the world that i'd enjoy listening to more than Vinnie.

PS- Somthing that pissed me off in the battle was that after everytime Vinnie did his little solo, the fans allways cheered, but when Dave or Steve did, they didn't. I'm pretty sure the reason for this is because ignorant people who dont play the drums can only appreciate speed and can't appreactate the works of art displayed by the other two drummers.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
After watching the Vinnie, Dave and Steve battle and some of his other vids it made me realize how overrated Vinne is. All I watched him do in his solo's was roll variations all over the place, he had no creavitity, feel, groove or anything that showed me he thinks about what he's doing when he soloing. Also his solo's are allways the same thing....but in slightly different ways. On the other hand Dave's & Steve's solos were nicley put together and had some sort of feel to them that it was like they had an identity. That said I dont think Vinnie is a bad drummer by any means, obviously he knows how to play, but I think I could find a drummer from every town in the world that i'd enjoy listening to more than Vinnie.

PS- Somthing that pissed me off in the battle was that after everytime Vinnie did his little solo, the fans allways cheered, but when Dave or Steve did, they didn't. I'm pretty sure the reason for this is because ignorant people who dont play the drums can only appreciate speed and can't appreactate the works of art displayed by the other two drummers.
Yeah man, well they cheered because VINNIE TOTALLY MURDERED! He knows what people want and they cheer when he does it. And o my god, you think vinnie plays the same thing all the time because you DO NOT understand rhythmic theory. He is so far out there, that I guarantee none of us are even comprehending 100% of what hes doing when hes even just bouncing a few quarter notes.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89
Yeah man, well they cheered because VINNIE TOTALLY MURDERED! He knows what people want and they cheer when he does it. And o my god, you think vinnie plays the same thing all the time because you DO NOT understand rhythmic theory. He is so far out there, that I guarantee none of us are even comprehending 100% of what hes doing when hes even just bouncing a few quarter notes.
I doubt the majority of the people in the audience understands alot about drumming, which tells me the only reason why they cheered is becase vinnie was fast and exuded more energy.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Pioneer Member

One question though, you say all Vinnies solos are the same thing, yet you say nothing when gadd starts crazy army? He might as well have just started laying down 50 ways while he was at it.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I doubt the majority of the people in the audience understands alot about drumming, which tells me the only reason why they cheered is becase vinnie was fast and exuded more energy.

Yeah, I doubt the majority of the audience knew anything about drumming that night. I mean, why would a buch of drummers show up at that concert? Obviously they were only cheering because Vinnie is just all speed.

Vinnie and "lack of creativity"? I find it amazing that those would be words to describe him. What a wide world of drumming we live in.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toteman2
Yeah, I doubt the majority of the audience knew anything about drumming that night. I mean, why would a buch of drummers show up at that concert? Obviously they were only cheering because Vinnie is just all speed.

Vinnie and "lack of creativity"? I find it amazing that those would be words to describe him. What a wide world of drumming we live in.
If the audience was full of drumming guru's then they would've cheered all of the drummers just about equally.

When it comes to Vinnie's lack fo creativity I'm talking specifically about his solos. For the most part I hear a continuous pattern of quick rolls all over the place. I cant hear many note variations or a strong use of other rudiments in his solo's.....little diversity I guess is what i'm trying to say. Maybe you have a better ear than I do and there are subtleties in Vinnie's solo's that I dont notice, but I still don't like the way he plays.

The difference between Gadd's and Vinnie's solos are that Gadd solo's have a oddity to them while maintaining a sound "feel", they're actually somthing I can internalize and admire. With Vinnie, I just cant really admire his style of soloing like I can with most other drummers. So I guess we are arguing a difference of tastes. And i'll admit that like everyone els, I can be biased towards things I dont like:-)
Old 06-11-2006, 12:23 PM

Take a look back at part 2 of the Gadd Weckl Colaiuta battle

http://drummerworld.com/Videos/gaddwecklcolaiuta2.html

If everyone thiks what Vinnie does in the video is more creative and clean than what Gadd and Weckl does then I guess i'm just from a different planet.

Last edited by Buddha; 06-12-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

If everyone thiks what Vinnie does in the video is more creative and clean than what Gadd and Weckl do then I guess i'm just from a different planet.
Man, Gadds just playing what he always does. And dont get me wrong, he rocks at that, but by no means is that wildly more creative than vinnie.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:52 AM
Sticktrick

Quote:
After watching the Vinnie, Dave and Steve battle and some of his other vids it made me realize how overrated Vinne is.
Wow - you seem to know a whole lot about Vinne. Actually, you sound like a Vinnie-professional! You've already checked out at least 5 Vids with Vinnie - thats amazing. I am blown away by the amount of research you've put into that one post. Great. Keep it up!

Quote:
All I watched him do in his solo's was roll variations all over the place, he had no creavitity, feel, groove or anything that showed me he thinks about what he's doing when he soloing. Also his solo's are allways the same thing....but in slightly different ways.
Hey - you're not only a Vinnie-listening professional, but also a professional drummer! How else would you be able to analize Vinnies solos so deeply just by watching them a few times?? Maybe you should give Vinnie your number so that he will be able to take a lesson with you. I'm sure that you can tell him interesting things about Groove and Feel. But I have to warn you: You will not succeed in turning him into a creative person. He is just not it, but who am I telling this to? You knew about this already for sure!

Quote:
Yeah.... It is a real pitty that you were not there. You would have showed these ignorant fools in the audience!

I'm asking myself: Why the hell do I even bother about your post? It is just so amazingly wrong and plain arrogant.... wow! I've said this in a few other threads before, but it is actually people like you that make me hate this board and that make me want to leave it.

Look, this could be such a cool place: People sharing their knowledge and their passion for drumming and and for drummers. People sharing. People getting into positive discussions. But what happens way too often is, that people who have nothing to say or to add to threads just throw in their nonsense to start off discussions or to provoke other people. Why cannot everybody just accept it, when people - like Vinnie or any other great drummer - do great things on the drums?? Is your self-esteem really that low that your afraid to admit that other people are actually better than yourself or your personal heroes??

I just don't get it. There is so much greatness in this world. Why not just enjoy it, maybe - if you like - learn from it and be real happy about it?

Maybe some people just have to get a few years older.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticktrick
Wow - you seem to know a whole lot about Vinne. Actually, you sound like a Vinnie-professional! You've already checked out at least 5 Vids with Vinnie - thats amazing. I am blown away by the amount of research you've put into that one post. Great. Keep it up!

Hey - you're not only a Vinnie-listening professional, but also a professional drummer! How else would you be able to analize Vinnies solos so deeply just by watching them a few times?? Maybe you should give Vinnie your number so that he will be able to take a lesson with you. I'm sure that you can tell him interesting things about Groove and Feel. But I have to warn you: You will not succeed in turning him into a creative person. He is just not it, but who am I telling this to? You knew about this already for sure!

Yeah.... It is a real pitty that you were not there. You would have showed these ignorant fools in the audience!

I'm asking myself: Why the hell do I even bother about your post? It is just so amazingly wrong and plain arrogant.... wow! I've said this in a few other threads before, but it is actually people like you that make me hate this board and that make me want to leave it.

Look, this could be such a cool place: People sharing their knowledge and their passion for drumming and and for drummers. People sharing. People getting into positive discussions. But what happens way too often is, that people who have nothing to say or to add to threads just throw in their nonsense to start off discussions or to provoke other people. Why cannot everybody just accept it, when people - like Vinnie or any other great drummer - do great things on the drums?? Is your self-esteem really that low that your afraid to admit that other people are actually better than yourself or your personal heroes??

I just don't get it. There is so much greatness in this world. Why not just enjoy it, maybe - if you like - learn from it and be real happy about it?

Maybe some people just have to get a few years older.
First of all i'm not critisizing Vinnie drumming as a whole, I am critisizing his solo's which I find boring and uncreativive compared to the other great drummer in the world (Gadd, Weckl). And those videos that ive watched quite a few times now obviously represent how Vinnie solos, if I am missing somthing than please enlighten me.
I'm sure of Vinnie can lay down a variety of grooves, just like any drummer who been playing for so many years. In fact I have heard them with my own ears. Vinnie is a very good drummer, but I do not like his style of soloing...that's all i'm saying. If I sounded overly negative than thats my bad.

I'm sorry that you take other peoples opinions and critisisms as a personal attack, and I feel sorry for you that you can only respond with sarcastiuc comments without trying to refute my opinion with a debate. I'm not making an effort to piss people off, i'm just stating how and why i'm not fond of vinnie's style of playing. I still dont see how I am wrong and arrogant. Maybe I come across as very negative, but I am not a negative person at all, if you look outside this thread i've been nothing but positive sinse ive been here.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:08 AM
Sticktrick

Man.... We are talking about Vinnie here - there is no room whatsoever for any debate when it comes to his creativity and his Groove and Feel. And btw yes: You came on VERY negative - why should I bother enlightning you, when basically what you said was negative crap?

But do do it: If you really think that his solos are boring / rhythmically not interesting, then obviously you just didn't understand them. Of course - he is playing fast and it is very flashy, but inside all this fast stuff there are such deep rhythmic structures, little metic shifts, use of different note values and phrasings. Just check out some solo-transcriptions of him and you'll find out soon, just how much stuff is in there. All the things that other people are talking about and practising - Vinnie is just doing them.

Why do you think is he the No. 1 Session player in World? Why is every club in LA sold out months before the gig, when Vinnie plays? Why do you see drummers like Weckl, Donati, Phillips or Chmabers at these gigs (and you do see them there and they listen in awe)? Because he cannot solo???? Are these drummers also just ignorant and just want to see speed and flashiness like the audience of the mentioned drum-battle?

If you can say one thing about Vinnie, it is that rhythmically he is probably THE most creative drummer who ever touched the surface of this planet. In solos, in grooves in anything that is related to drumming.

I saw him play very very often and each time I was knocked out. I own dozens of records with him playing on them and I've transcribed tons of them and I still get knocked out when I listen to them again. You just sounded like a guy who watched some Vids and then thinks that he is mr. know-it-all.

Common man, you claimed, that the audience was ignorant (while they cheer the loudest, when Gadd plays the mozambique groove), that Vinnie only played rolls (just plain wrong), has no Feel, Groove and doesn't think about what he is playing.

And then you act surprised when people reply sarcastic and don't refute your points in a debate? Gimme a break.

BTW: You do not have to feel sorry for me. I'm fine, thank you. I'd do better though, if less BS was posted I have to admit.

BTW II: Yes, you are absolutely free to not like Vinnies Solos. You may hate them to death if you like. But it is another thing to claim things that are just wrong because then you are no longer talking about opinions.

BTW III: Just like you, I am a very positive person as you can see by my other posts. After all: Only positive persons around here. Lets chill for the moment.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:18 AM

Quote:

lol.. i wonder why ppl would show up at a drum session if they dont understand drumming..
the reason why they cheered is probaly because it sounded damn good :)
Old 06-12-2006, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticktrick
Common man, you claimed, that the audience was ignorant (while they cheer the loudest, when Gadd plays the mozambique groove), that Vinnie only played rolls (just plain wrong), has no Feel, Groove and doesn't think about what he is playing.
I know that Vinnie did'nt only play rolls, i'm not that stupid.
I think there's a certain randomness with his solo's in the battle as if he thinks "in what area can I throw my hand next" instead of thinking about what differences about his groove, timing, note variation etc he should integrate in the solo. But maybe you're right and i'm wrong, maybe he is a very creative soloist that I just don't understand yet, but I will still likely never be fond of Vinnie's style.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:13 AM

why does vinnie play fast?? BECAUSE HE CAN!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Sticktrick

Well.... If you know that he didn't play only rolls, then just don't write it:

Quote:
After watching the Vinnie, Dave and Steve battle and some of his other vids it made me realize how overrated Vinne is. All I watched him do in his solo's was roll variations all over the place, he had no creavitity, feel, groove or anything that showed me he thinks about what he's doing when he soloing.
I don't want to be misunderstood here: It is fine not to like his style, but it is another thing to bash people. And that is what you did in your first sentence. If you would have thrown in gan "IMO" somewhere in that passage, everything would have been cool, but that way it sounded like you wanted to claim something like: "Vinnie sucks and everybody around here just doesn't get it, because they are all ignorant fools that only pay attention to speed."

And just for the record: I am a HUGE Vinnie fan, I know. But in this certain battle I like Gadd best. Don't forget: This battle was arranged in a certain way with Gadd beeing something like the Godfather or drumming and his "young and wild children" Weckl and Vinnie playing around Gadds stuff. Both Weckl and Vinnie have Gadd as one of their biggest idols (especially Weckl) and were supposed to be playing fast and flashy. That whole show was layed out that way: Gadd as the groovemaster, the rest playing over it with Weckl beeing the one for the flow and dynamics and Vinnie beeing the one for the crazyness and pure energy. And all of them do their job just right!
Old 06-12-2006, 02:44 PM

For those of you questioning Vinnie's versatility, in my opinion, the Gadd-Weckl-Vinnie battle highlights each drummer's trademark sound/approach, and not necessarily showing everything they're capable of. Keep in mind, they all have to sound good together. So in that sense, I think it was perfect. Vinnie has shown us in many other projects how diverse his playing can be.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Pioneer Member

I can sort of understanding bashing on some of the more famous drummers who lack the some of the basics that make for jaw dropping drumming...Ie Meg White and Nicco from the Velvet Undergroud. But seriously... People have the gall to talk smack about Vinnie. The guy is a monster and his resume shows it. He was one of the lucky guys to have gotten the opportunity to play with Frank Zappa and Sting and although they are not my favorite artists, they happen to be some of the most demanding guys when it come to having a talented drummer backing the band. I know you are free to voice your opinion but it's very plain to see that Vinnie is an incredible drummer. He can adapt to any style of music seemlessly. He plays with an engery, power, and finesse that most professionals don't even come close to. It's OK to dislike someones drumming, but to put an argument against his drumming watching a 20 year old drum battle with your opinions is arrogant. You're reaching for straws at this point.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlow
I can sort of understanding bashing on some of the more famous drummers who lack the some of the basics that make for jaw dropping drumming...Ie Meg White and Nicco from the Velvet Undergroud. But seriously... People have the gall to talk smack about Vinnie. The guy is a monster and his resume shows it. He was one of the lucky guys to have gotten the opportunity to play with Frank Zappa and Sting and although they are not my favorite artists, they happen to be some of the most demanding guys when it come to having a talented drummer backing the band. I know you are free to voice your opinion but it's very plain to see that Vinnie is an incredible drummer. He can adapt to any style of music seemlessly. He plays with an engery, power, and finesse that most professionals don't even come close to. It's OK to dislike someones drumming, but to put an argument against his drumming watching a 20 year old drum battle with your opinions is arrogant. You're reaching for straws at this point.
I'm not arguing his resume, his ability to back a band or his ability to play with energy and power. I admit that I havent watched or listend to as much of Vinnie playing as most of you, but i've listened enough to get some kind of understanding of what his solo's are like, which I was critisizing.

"That whole show was layed out that way: Gadd as the groovemaster, the rest playing over it with Weckl beeing the one for the flow and dynamics and Vinnie beeing the one for the crazyness and pure energy. And all of them do their job just right!"

I wouldnt disagree with that.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:09 PM

Vinnie is like a pure energy man, yes, but that wich impress me with that guy, is that he is a master at MANY music genres. He can almost play everething, because he has that sort of jazz feel, and a lot of energy and power to rock/heavy etc.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:43 AM

Here's what the bassist in this band that I'm playing said after watching part three of the video:

That was the most boring, gay and retarded thing I've ever seen.

Though I do dig the use of the buddy rich grip.

What a weirdo.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:50 AM

Where to begin with Vinnie? Seriously, this guy's resume reads like a novelette!
The first time I heard Vinnie was when I saw tape 2 from the Buddy Rich Memorial Scholarship concert. The drum battle was indeed excellent. That video was one of the most important things in my development. The really compelling thing was the sound of Vinnie's drums; they were really tight. The toms almost had a wet, slap sound to them.
2 words: Joe's Garage. That's all that needs to be said, and drummers all over understand. But in the spirit of message boards, I'll kiss Vinnie's butt, but try to keep it brief.
Joe's garage, to me, was the epitome of a drummer's album. An equal amount of crazy soloing and sexy grooving cemented Vinnie's place in my list of favorites. I really loved the odd-time breakdown in "Catholic Girls", the drum/xylophone duet in "Fembot in a wet tshirt", the groove in "Token of my extreme", and of course the whole "Keep it Greasey".

Oh, the footage from the baked potato, on this website, is insane! but the cymbals are really piercing. Still, it rocked.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the skin man
Here's what the bassist in this band that I'm playing said after watching part three of the video:

That was the most boring, gay and retarded thing I've ever seen.

Though I do dig the use of the buddy rich grip.

What a weirdo.
LMAO -this is something i've come across with non drummers experiencing Vinnie; inevitably they don't dig it, whereas a performance by Buddy Rich, Keith Moon or (this smarts) Joey Jordison gets the eyes lighting up. This is an interesting thing - is it that the listener needs to have attained a level of rhythmic ability and drum technique to understaand and appreciate it, or is it simply that Vinnie's soloing is too esoteric and unmusical? ( sorely doubt the latter). Maybe it's that more often than not, those that love and appreciate vinnie's solos the most are those with more technical and musical understanding and experience; i remember thinking Chad Smith's playing was the donnest - years down the line i can't imagine anyone being able to put together a more dynamic slick and satisfying solo than Vinnie.
The Word just doesn't seem to be spreading like it should.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Gold Member

Hey chaps, just a question about the Vinnie Baked Potato video, what ride is he using there? The site says he uses a 22" A Custom, looks like that might be it, but i'm not particularly knowledgeable when it comes to Zildjian.

Cheers
Old 06-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I'm not arguing his resume, his ability to back a band or his ability to play with energy and power. I admit that I havent watched or listend to as much of Vinnie playing as most of you, but i've listened enough to get some kind of understanding of what his solo's are like, which I was critisizing.

Regardless of your criticism of Vinnie's playing, you made yourself look like an ass by criticizing the people cheering for Vinnie in the video clip, assuming they must have no musical knowledge because they only cheered for Vinnie. Ignoring the obvious impossibility that you might know EVERYBODY who was cheering in that audience (and even, know them well enough to know how deep their understanding of music is), you still go so far as to impose your own assumptions as to why they were cheering. Taste is taste, and we all like and dislike things for our own reasons. Some people probably dug the speed, others may have liked his phrasing, who knows? You can't dismiss those cheering fans as ignorant because they didn't cheer OUT LOUD when YOU thought they should have. Also, you have no clue what was going on in their heads, so how could you possibly know whether or not they were appreciating Gadd's and Weckl's performances?
Old 06-18-2006, 06:53 PM

shall i bother checking out his recent recordings like Backstreet Boys and Pussycat Dolls? i really hate artificial pop bands, but do you think it's worth getting just for Vinnie Colaiuta? or does he never do the good stuff on pop albums?

I'm planning on gettin Joe's Garage soon. are there any good albums you could recommend with Vinnie on it? (I might be seeing Jeff Beck soon just to see Vinnie)
Old 06-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

If everyone thiks what Vinnie does in the video is more creative and clean than what Gadd and Weckl does then I guess i'm just from a different planet.
Ok than I guess you are :)
Old 06-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernal drummer
lol.. i wonder why ppl would show up at a drum session if they dont understand drumming..
the reason why they cheered is probaly because it sounded damn good :)
you just took the words from my mouth
Old 06-28-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond90
Vinnie is like a pure energy man, yes, but that wich impress me with that guy, is that he is a master at MANY music genres. He can almost play everething, because he has that sort of jazz feel, and a lot of energy and power to rock/heavy etc.

EXACTLLYY!! That's it right there. He's pure energy, and technique, and musicality, all in one! What a combination! He's got it all. Its insane!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 08:14 AM

Vinnie is a monster on drums, he can do just about anything, and play in any time signature, in any style. Plus his playing is tight, powerful, groovy and has just about everything you'd want in a drummer.
P.S Has anybody heard Vinnies peformace on Megadeths The System Has Failed? It's just plain out awesome, one of my favorite megadeth albums as far as drums go.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardRockDrummer
shall i bother checking out his recent recordings like Backstreet Boys and Pussycat Dolls? i really hate artificial pop bands, but do you think it's worth getting just for Vinnie Colaiuta? or does he never do the good stuff on pop albums?

I'm planning on gettin Joe's Garage soon. are there any good albums you could recommend with Vinnie on it? (I might be seeing Jeff Beck soon just to see Vinnie)
Thats not of importance. Vinnie is payed to play what the producer wants him to play. Yes hes fantastically talented but hes paid to play whatever suits those songs. The producer wants to sell as many records as he can. He cannot do that with say one of Vinnie's 7:8 time signatures which u can't dance to. things are simple with Pop and Dance acts because people need to be able to dance to them. Thats why most things are based in 4:4 because you can dance to the simple 1-2-3-4 rhythm.

Check out Vinnie's Solo albums for pure drumming talent as well as all his drum solo videos on drummerworld.com

He is still by far the best, most diverse and most rhythmically complex drummer on the planet!
Old 07-01-2006, 12:22 AM

i'm not impressed with his dumming.. i can't say he is the best! he is talented but i don't like him

www.brothersinplugs.com
www.facebook.com/brothersinplugs
Old 07-01-2006, 05:48 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiP
i'm not impressed with his dumming.. i can't say he is the best! he is talented but i don't like him
What have you heard him play on and who do you really is better than him?
Old 07-04-2006, 06:18 PM

Hi there, I'm new to this long and frequently changing thread about Vinnie Colaiuta.

But to pick up the last point about not liking Vinnie, well that's fair enough. I remember once talking to a younger drummer about a tune Vinnie played on Eric Marienthal's CD: Crossroads. I think the track is called U"pside Down". I told the guy to listen to the solo and the phrasing etc, but also how it sits with the hi-hat rhythm being played throughout. Suffice to say he wasn't that interested. So I thought, we I liked it, he didn't.

So for me, Vinnie Colaiuta has always been a major inspiration. I'm certainly not frightened of what he does. You either love it or have to look away. Me - I want some of that ! I have Marc Atkinsons book "Unreel" and can do a lot of the stuff (am still working on the rest ! - long way to go yet). Te charts by the way are especially good.

Vinnie plays with fire on that track and also with great sensitivity on Joni Mitchell's "Two Grey Rooms" from Night Ride Home.

I suppose all the people he's played with can't be wrong. I've never met him and have heard through this thread that he might not be a fun guy. But maybe he is a nice guy, you never know. He seems to take his work very seriously and I have heard that he can be kind of "goofy", so maybe he is just one of those talented guys that doesn't realise how great he really is.

I also heard terrible things about Buddy Rich (one of my all time drumming faves) until I read something on his website by one of his writers who told a different side.

Anyway, I think Vinnie is as Neil Stubenhaus said on the Modern Drummer DVD, "the innovative drummer of our time". You either like his stuff or you don't. But I love him. I wish I could come up with som of the stuff he does. Phew.....
Old 07-11-2006, 10:09 PM

I love vinnies style of play. It is relaxed, yet on the nose, and very rhythmically accurate. I also love the fact that he is a christian. My favorite vinnie song is I'm Tweaked. IT is such a great song yet it kills me everytime i listen to it because I can never figur out how he does it. Eventually it will come...

the best: colaiuta, weckl, gadd, rich, garibaldi
Old 07-17-2006, 09:30 PM

Everytime I see that Rich Video , a LOL at Weckl's mullet .

If I can remember correctly , I think it was after that show that Weckl was considering chaging his technical approach , because of what he saw of Vinnie . If you take a close look and listen , Weckl seems to be taking ideas off Vinnie . Vinnie was the most impressive out of all three , because his idea's seemed to come out of nowhere . It seems like all Vinnie does is throw his hands anywhere around the kit , and magic just happens . It's pure creative bombast . Outside of Gadd's cowbell intro to cue in all 3 players , Vinnie got the biggest cheers from the audience , especially during his one-handed fills ( combined with the bass drum ) , which was musically impressive , as well as techincally impressive .