DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 09-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Sticktrick
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Vinnie Colaiuta

Hey I actually have a nice story about Vinne that everybody will certainly enjoy...

I was at one of his shows with Carizma in LA (that crazy fusion band you know...). They started playing and a minute into the first song the bass amp broke. No bass anymore. The whole band stops playing, Vinnie makes some silly jokes about bassplayers. After 5 or 10 minutes of waiting for a new amp the whole room seemed to become electrified. I donīt know if you know about Vinnie as a person, but I can tell you from 17 times that I saw him live (still have all the tickets and just counted them. Yes. I am a fan....lol) that he is OUT OF CONTROL. I mean as a person also - you know he just seems to be on fire all the time (making jokes, running from A to B on stage and back when he is doing clinics - freak! But in a very positive way!).
So after making jokes for a few minutes, he got a little stressed out and just started to play a solo. He was standing in front of his drums and played on cymbals only at first (he seemed to be wanting to entertain himself a little). But people yelled and applaused already so he just went for it and played a real solo until the amp was fixed (maybe 5 or 10 more minutes.). Then they went straight into the first song which was in 13/8. Later I found out that the whole freaking solo was also in 13/8 because I illegally taped it and listended back. Crazy guy.
But it is not the whole story: Another minute into the song Vinnie wanted to hit his huge China on his left side but missed it, because he was doing something else with his right hand and didnīt look to see where exactly it was. Now he became REALLY pissed: The next spot in the music that allowed for a big crash, he looked at the China as if he was going to kill it and then hit it so hard with his left hand (in traditional grip!!!) that the whole stand with cymbal attached to hit collapsed and fell to the floor with a big crash. The crowd went nuts, Vinnie smiled and everything was good. All while maintainig a 13/8 groove. Really crazy guy.

Man I just think that he is a natural talent and one of the very best drummers that this planet has ever seen. He is just into it very very deeply.


And the story goes on: Ralph Humphrey was in the audience (concert was at LAMA where Ralph teaches) and in the next class he asked everybody who was there: "Nice time signature that the first solo was in, right?" Ralph could recall that whole solo that Vinnie had made up and even remembered all tiny little Metric Shifts and little diddys that Vinnie had played. You might think that this is not that remarkable, but it is: There was a whole room full of drummers there (good ones) and everybody listened to that solo, but didnīt get it. Now Ralph walks into the room explaining everything about it and he had only heard it ONCE. We later on checked the things he said with my recording and it was all correct. Ralph just has BIG ears.... It was actually told me, that Vinnie once said, that the only person on this planet who truly can understand what Vinnie does in the exact same moment that he does it in, is Ralph Humphrey. Nice compliment I think.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-09-2005, 01:15 AM
aahznightsky's Avatar
aahznightsky aahznightsky is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,395
Default Re: Vinnie Colaiuta

sticktrick thats an incredibly amazing story! I wish i was there
__________________
Dreamer easy in the chair that really fits you.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-09-2005, 02:51 AM
mlehnertz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Vinnie Colaiuta

I actually find this part of the story the most amazing... How does Vinnie, with his drum awareness, miss a cymbal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticktrick
Another minute into the song Vinnie wanted to hit his huge China on his left side but missed it, because he was doing something else with his right hand and didnīt look to see where exactly it was.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Adam Adam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 52
Default Vinnie @#!$ing Coliauta

Watching this guy drum is so sick! He looks like he's about to throw up/burst into flames/explode sometimes and I just love it! A drummer who drums with guts if you ask me...and I'm sure there are countless threads about him but I don't see any on this first page so....tell me about a time you saw Vinnie, or perhaps a video of him that is just SICK!

This clip I have of Vinnie live in Tokyo (you can get it at house of drumming dot com) is a good start! Watch it if you haven't seen it yet.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-04-2005, 02:18 PM
noVIce LegENd's Avatar
noVIce LegENd noVIce LegENd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Singapore
Posts: 13
Default Vinnie Colauita

Vinnie has POWER hand-foot coordination... and I like his style of traditional grip. His FEEL for the music is POW!!!
How i wish U can teach me Vinnie...
Anyone who knows of his his contact?
Haha... jus asking... ( Maybe u can send me a private message)
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Laurent Laurent is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Manama, Bahrain Lebanon but originally from Neuchatel, Switzerland.
Posts: 68
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

Try www.vinniecolaiuta.com even though I don't know how often the site is updated.

If there would be such thing as "a best drummer ever", then I think that Vinnie should be it. He mastered all styles of music from fusion to heavy metal. He's a great groove drummer AND a fantastic "chops guy". His musical concepts are extremely advanced and his is an extremely musical drummer.

I don't of any other guy who has such a resume. All of those I can think of did not record in at least one genre. Vinnie did them all ! He even recently recorded with Megadeth !

I know that drumming is no competition but I think that Vinnie is the best all-around drummer ever.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-04-2005, 11:57 PM
toteman2's Avatar
toteman2 toteman2 is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 313
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

There is not enough space in the universe for me to say everthing I love about Vinnie...One of my favorites ever...True master!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Cuauhtemoc's Avatar
Cuauhtemoc Cuauhtemoc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Arizona
Posts: 73
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

Vinnie is a great drummer and can definitely play in the moment (just ask Dave Weckl, BR concert '89) and has a great sense of how to make the music sound good. He has great time and as said before, play all styles and play them well. Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

But for me, and crucify me for saying this, I've never cared for the sound of his kit, even the Gretsch. It's kind of thin to me. I think, God forbid, Weckl has a better sounding kit. But I would love to hear what Vinnie's kit sounded like with Megadeth.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-05-2005, 12:28 AM
NouveauCliche's Avatar
NouveauCliche NouveauCliche is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 384
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuauhtemoc
Vinnie is a great drummer and can definitely play in the moment (just ask Dave Weckl, BR concert '89) and has a great sense of how to make the music sound good. He has great time and as said before, play all styles and play them well. Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

But for me, and crucify me for saying this, I've never cared for the sound of his kit, even the Gretsch. It's kind of thin to me. I think, God forbid, Weckl has a better sounding kit. But I would love to hear what Vinnie's kit sounded like with Megadeth.
You say Weckl like it's a bad thing. Pretty much everyone agree that he has an incredible drum sound.
__________________
Nicholas J. Lucero
My Kit:
Yamaha/Zildjian/Evans/Roc'n'Soc
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Micky Micky is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santiago, Chile
Posts: 30
Default Colaiuta on megadeth???

Hey guys you won`t believe this.
yesterday I heard on radio that vinnie colaiuta recorded the drums for the newest megadeth album, is that true? I guess is a mistake but who knows, colaiuta is a ver versatile drummer...
Anyway, is it true???

visit my page www.miguelyudelevich.cl

Bye
__________________
Visit my personal website WWW.MIGUELYUDELEVICH.CL
MSN: myudelevich@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10-06-2005, 12:20 AM
Pedro Pedro is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Belgium
Posts: 618
Default Re: Colaiuta on megadeth???

That's true! And he recorded it in three days....

And BTW: it is a great sounding album!

And for drums: listen to the song "Kick the Chair"!

And yes....did you know he also recorded a cd for the Backstreet Boys!!??? What was he thinking???????
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-06-2005, 12:28 AM
OceanDirt OceanDirt is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Haven, CT/Miami, FL
Posts: 179
Default Re: Colaiuta on megadeth???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
That's true! And he recorded it in three days....

And BTW: it is a great sounding album!

And for drums: listen to the song "Kick the Chair"!

And yes....did you know he also recorded a cd for the Backstreet Boys!!??? What was he thinking???????
he was thinking how awesome the money would be from a gig like that, and how he's the only drummer cool enough to do backstreet boys, megadeth, faith hill, sting, chick corea, and all the other ridiculous amount of genre spanning stuff he's recorded on.

that would be my guess, anyway
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-06-2005, 01:03 AM
NouveauCliche's Avatar
NouveauCliche NouveauCliche is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 384
Default Re: Colaiuta on megadeth???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
That's true! And he recorded it in three days....

And BTW: it is a great sounding album!

And for drums: listen to the song "Kick the Chair"!

And yes....did you know he also recorded a cd for the Backstreet Boys!!??? What was he thinking???????
He was thinking that he needs to eat....I'd take the same oppurtunity if given the chance.

Vinnie's the man....no questions asked.
__________________
Nicholas J. Lucero
My Kit:
Yamaha/Zildjian/Evans/Roc'n'Soc
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-06-2005, 01:04 AM
mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Colaiuta on megadeth???

Yes; he did indeed do the drums for The System Has Failed. He did an excellent job too, it must be said. He truly is probably the single most versatile drummer out there today, his abilities in all styles is unmatched.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-06-2005, 01:52 AM
yakbutter yakbutter is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 101
Default Re: Colaiuta on megadeth???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
That's true! And he recorded it in three days....

And BTW: it is a great sounding album!

And for drums: listen to the song "Kick the Chair"!

And yes....did you know he also recorded a cd for the Backstreet Boys!!??? What was he thinking???????
He's thinking "Damn this paycheck is sweet! I think those 20" rims will look good on the Lexus, or perhaps I should get a new flat screen TV?"

Would you rather be playing on a Backstreet Boys album or working a day job? Hell, the guy probably does mostly cheesy jingles for Doublemint gum. I'd love to be in his spot.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-06-2005, 02:54 AM
finnhiggins's Avatar
finnhiggins finnhiggins is offline
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,430
Default Re: Colaiuta on megadeth???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
That's true! And he recorded it in three days....

And BTW: it is a great sounding album!

And for drums: listen to the song "Kick the Chair"!

And yes....did you know he also recorded a cd for the Backstreet Boys!!??? What was he thinking???????
I want to know what he was thinking doing the Megadeth album! I mean, Vinnie's great. But... Megadeth? Ugh.

(Hoping you get my point, of course, not trying to start a flame war)
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-06-2005, 02:58 AM
Milo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Colaiuta on megadeth???

When I heard it from a friend I didn't believe it. After reading his discography I started downloading (legally of course(pfft!)). Such versatility makes his possiblities endless. He is indeed the man.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Superlow's Avatar
Superlow Superlow is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 702
Default Re: Colaiuta on megadeth???

I listened to a few 30 second previews on i-Tunes music store. The drumming sounds like that of any virtuoso metal drummer playing metal their whole life. More proof that Vinnie can play any style flawlessly.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-06-2005, 05:56 PM
noVIce LegENd's Avatar
noVIce LegENd noVIce LegENd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Singapore
Posts: 13
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

Indeed he is King of all drum kings as most ppl say!
I think his drum sound is good... the dynamic variation is obvious and cool!
But i still wanna comment on his left hand... looks kinda different! Most drummers play left traditional grip palms up but he plays it palm facing the sides, never ever he played palms up.
Is there a reason for this other than habit???
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-06-2005, 09:34 PM
Panos_from_greece!'s Avatar
Panos_from_greece! Panos_from_greece! is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Athens
Posts: 89
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

Above all these i just wanna add something..EVERYONE who watches vinnie playing, wants instantly to play just like him, by imitating his moves! :)
and i also want to say that he has the most gorgious and cool traditional grip i 've ever seen.He just grabs so nice the sticks!I am a great fan of him
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 10-06-2005, 10:30 PM
Kor Haven's Avatar
Kor Haven Kor Haven is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Canada-Quebec-La Tuque
Posts: 11
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

I think Vinnie is the Greatest drummer of all time
__________________
Tama Drum
Sabian Cymbals
Remo Head
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-06-2005, 11:33 PM
CarterB_Junkie CarterB_Junkie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 46
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

Bow down to the master of all things drums , Sir Vinnie Colaiuta !

He has done it all and he is playing better than ever , just chek out this tune called Soulgrass from the next Bill Evans album :

http://billevanssax.com/soulgrass/index.html

There is only one Vinnie !
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-07-2005, 11:36 AM
noVIce LegENd's Avatar
noVIce LegENd noVIce LegENd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Singapore
Posts: 13
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

Mmmm...He has great chops but i wonder why his solos(on video) are always quite the same... either bass and toms alternate or snare and toms alternate... i seem to realise that he like to have his left hand single stroke( cannot be considered roll ) in all his playing. Can someone enlighten me? Is that his "style"?
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Cuauhtemoc's Avatar
Cuauhtemoc Cuauhtemoc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Arizona
Posts: 73
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

Quote:
Originally Posted by noVIce LegENd
Mmmm...He has great chops but i wonder why his solos(on video) are always quite the same... either bass and toms alternate or snare and toms alternate... i seem to realise that he like to have his left hand single stroke( cannot be considered roll ) in all his playing. Can someone enlighten me? Is that his "style"?
It's kind of like Steve Gadd, who also seems to do the same things over and over when he solos. Vinnie and Gadd make their living playing with other artists, spending most of that time in the studio. Drummers like Terry Bozzio spend a lot of time pushing the limits of the instrument in the exhibition circuit, which gives them the time to work on new ideas, set ups, etc.

To me it's like a rhythm guitarist. A lot of great lead players cannot play good rhythm guitar because they don't work on it as much as a rhythm guitarist. But both types of guitarists are important and very necessary to making good music.

Vinnie, like Gadd is more of a band player and because he's so good at it everyone wants to have him on their album. Is he the greatest ever? I don't know, some people think so. But you can't deny the impact he has had on the drumming world and at least in his case it's not just popularity, it's talent. But let's not forget that he was one of many drummer who studied Gadd carefully so one begins to wonder where Vinnie would've been if Gadd had not been the drummer he was. This, I think is why so many people call Steve Gadd the most influencial drummer in modern drumming today.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-07-2005, 09:10 PM
NouveauCliche's Avatar
NouveauCliche NouveauCliche is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 384
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuauhtemoc
It's kind of like Steve Gadd, who also seems to do the same things over and over when he solos. Vinnie and Gadd make their living playing with other artists, spending most of that time in the studio. Drummers like Terry Bozzio spend a lot of time pushing the limits of the instrument in the exhibition circuit, which gives them the time to work on new ideas, set ups, etc.

To me it's like a rhythm guitarist. A lot of great lead players cannot play good rhythm guitar because they don't work on it as much as a rhythm guitarist. But both types of guitarists are important and very necessary to making good music.

Vinnie, like Gadd is more of a band player and because he's so good at it everyone wants to have him on their album. Is he the greatest ever? I don't know, some people think so. But you can't deny the impact he has had on the drumming world and at least in his case it's not just popularity, it's talent. But let's not forget that he was one of many drummer who studied Gadd carefully so one begins to wonder where Vinnie would've been if Gadd had not been the drummer he was. This, I think is why so many people call Steve Gadd the most influencial drummer in modern drumming today.
I 'm actually going to disagree here...Gadd does play the same solos a lot of the time at clinics and stuff like...but he plays literally the SAME solo. You could transcribe it and it would match up perfectly everytime you hear it...that marching/rudiment solo. He also plays a solo based around the 50 ways beat and the latin groove from Late in the Evening...and he pretty much always plays it with 4 sticks. His groove is incredible and when it comes to playing for a song, it really doesn't get much better than Gadd.

Colaiuta may have a signature style/voice...but most definetly does NOT play the same solo all the time. What makes Vinnie so great is his ability to play some the most technically challenging parts you can imagine with guys like Zappa or his own band, then turn around play a Faith Hill concert. He is both and AMAZING "lead" player AND a mindblowing "rhythm" player.

His solo over the end of Seven Days certainly sounds NOTHING like his solo at the Blue Note Tokoyo with Chic Corea or any solo from Karizma. My guess is that if you think all of his solos sound alike...you haven't listened to that many. With a body of work as incredibly large as his, you really have to spend the time to listen and appreciate his playing.
__________________
Nicholas J. Lucero
My Kit:
Yamaha/Zildjian/Evans/Roc'n'Soc
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Cuauhtemoc's Avatar
Cuauhtemoc Cuauhtemoc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Arizona
Posts: 73
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

That's cool that you disagree with me but it seems like you disagree with Novice Legend more than me because I was responding to his statement, not so much as stating my observations of Vinnie's playing. I was suggesting that he may be interpreting Vinnie's playing a certain way because.... it's all about trying to understand one's point of view before offering comments.

Of course Vinnie is diverse and his track record shows that. But the same could be said of drummers like Terry Bozzio, Thomas Lang, Chester Thompson, Chad Wackerman, etc. It seems to me that you're taking it personal when other drummers don't have the same praises for a drummer that you adore. Subjectivity, my friend! Not everyone has the same pair of ears.

I like Vinnie's playing, he's awesome; one of the best of all time. I even had a chance to meet him. Frankly, he was kind of rude but what the hell, he's human. We all have our days. I guess I just don't hear what you hear but with all due respect, I'm entitled to my opinion, right?

What if I said that I preferred Thomas Lang's playing to Vinnie's? He's shown that he can handle any style. Sure, he hasn't played on as many albums but he also lives in Europe and plays in a different scene and in styles of music that are not common in Los Angeles. Would you say that Vinnie could do all the stuff Thomas Lang does on his DVD? Does Vinnie produce albums and write his own music like Thomas Lang? So you can argue that you like Vinnie's drumming over Lang's but I can argue that Lang is a better drummer and musician than Vinnie based on what he can do. BUT.... I won't because we have our subjective ears and types of drumming as well as musical approaches that appeal to us. But if you're into Vinnie, cool. He's a monster drummer.

As far as grooves..I guess I also have to disagree with you when you say it doesn't get much better than Gadd. I think he's very diverse and gets the job done but I think I'll take Jeff Watts' swing over his, Horacio Hernandez's Latin playing over his and Jabo Starts when it comes to funk. But again, trust your ears because that's what leads to your heart.

Good conversation! You're awesome!
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-09-2005, 08:17 PM
noVIce LegENd's Avatar
noVIce LegENd noVIce LegENd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Singapore
Posts: 13
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

Hey! Thank U'all so much! I have a deeper understanding now. I really have to study more drummers to gain more experience... haha... drum is an interesting subject... how i wish i can study it in school.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-10-2005, 12:41 AM
toteman2's Avatar
toteman2 toteman2 is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 313
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuauhtemoc
That's cool that you disagree with me but it seems like you disagree with Novice Legend more than me because I was responding to his statement, not so much as stating my observations of Vinnie's playing. I was suggesting that he may be interpreting Vinnie's playing a certain way because.... it's all about trying to understand one's point of view before offering comments.

Of course Vinnie is diverse and his track record shows that. But the same could be said of drummers like Terry Bozzio, Thomas Lang, Chester Thompson, Chad Wackerman, etc. It seems to me that you're taking it personal when other drummers don't have the same praises for a drummer that you adore. Subjectivity, my friend! Not everyone has the same pair of ears.

I like Vinnie's playing, he's awesome; one of the best of all time. I even had a chance to meet him. Frankly, he was kind of rude but what the hell, he's human. We all have our days. I guess I just don't hear what you hear but with all due respect, I'm entitled to my opinion, right?

What if I said that I preferred Thomas Lang's playing to Vinnie's? He's shown that he can handle any style. Sure, he hasn't played on as many albums but he also lives in Europe and plays in a different scene and in styles of music that are not common in Los Angeles. Would you say that Vinnie could do all the stuff Thomas Lang does on his DVD? Does Vinnie produce albums and write his own music like Thomas Lang? So you can argue that you like Vinnie's drumming over Lang's but I can argue that Lang is a better drummer and musician than Vinnie based on what he can do. BUT.... I won't because we have our subjective ears and types of drumming as well as musical approaches that appeal to us. But if you're into Vinnie, cool. He's a monster drummer.

As far as grooves..I guess I also have to disagree with you when you say it doesn't get much better than Gadd. I think he's very diverse and gets the job done but I think I'll take Jeff Watts' swing over his, Horacio Hernandez's Latin playing over his and Jabo Starts when it comes to funk. But again, trust your ears because that's what leads to your heart.

Good conversation! You're awesome!

Thats what it's all about...Well stated!
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-14-2005, 02:10 AM
Drummer_Boy's Avatar
Drummer_Boy Drummer_Boy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Bernardino, Ca
Posts: 126
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

It's as simple as this for me...

Vinnie Colaiuta=drum god
__________________
IM me at either:
AIM:Killman9119
MSN:awatkins69@hotmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-17-2005, 12:57 PM
Drummer Karl's Avatar
Drummer Karl Drummer Karl is offline
KARL MEMBER
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,099
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

Vinnie Colaiuta? He is great! He can play heavy rock and 2 seconds later he could play the sweetest jazz...
__________________
Myspace.

Drummerworld Myspace.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 12-18-2005, 11:03 AM
frankay frankay is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8
Default vinnie colaiuta

this drummer is probably one the greatest drummers of all time, in my opinion. I no its a bold statement but he is just amazing his hand speed and some of his linear patterns are truly awesome. what is your veiw on this drummer? some of my other favourites are thomas lang, dennis chambers and i recently saw terry bozzio in one of his drum clinics, he blew me away he was superb. who are you favourite drummers?

thanks frank
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-21-2005, 04:35 PM
Rhythmic Disciple's Avatar
Rhythmic Disciple Rhythmic Disciple is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Swansea, Wales (UK).
Posts: 212
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

Speaking of Thomas Lang, he spent some time with Vinnie Colaiuta years before he was famous, practising and learning. And I believe he is one of Lang's heroes...

When I first saw Vinnie play on video with Sting in Oslo 1993, I was blown away. Watching his powerhouse performance changed the way I thought about drumming. What impressed me most was how he looked, how he moved and how he touched the drums - it made technical sense without any verbal explanation needed. It was the most valuable lesson I ever had!!!

People talk about Vinnie 'taking the easy gig' with Sting, but I don't agree. Watch the footage from the concert I mentioned above and think again...
__________________
"Mapex Black Panther... 60% of the time, it works EVERY time!" - Brian Fantana, Channel 4 News Team.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-21-2005, 06:00 PM
mlehnertz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

Sting's gig was no easy gig - Vinnie just makes it look easy. Granted, it wasn't flashy and he wasn't doing upside-down drum solos, but it's hard work to play with that much discipline. Go ahead and play "Seven Days" and try to play 4/4 in your right hand and 7/4 in your left. It's not easy.

Sting covered Purple Haze on one of the tours I saw and Vinnie tore it up. They played some old Police tunes as well and it rocked hard.

The thing I like about Vinnie is that it appears so effortless. There is no wasted movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmic Disciple
When I first saw Vinnie play on video with Sting in Oslo 1993, I was blown away. Watching his powerhouse performance changed the way I thought about drumming. What impressed me most was how he looked, how he moved and how he touched the drums - it made technical sense without any verbal explanation needed. It was the most valuable lesson I ever had!!!

People talk about Vinnie 'taking the easy gig' with Sting, but I don't agree. Watch the footage from the concert I mentioned above and think again...
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Jarek Witkowski's Avatar
Jarek Witkowski Jarek Witkowski is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 17
Default Re: Vinnie Colaiuta

Vinnie Colaiuta is definitely one of the greatest drummers in the world.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-21-2005, 07:26 PM
NUTHA JASON's Avatar
NUTHA JASON NUTHA JASON is offline
Senior Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: london
Posts: 3,903
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

now that is refreshing. have you seen the battle between him, wekl and gadd on the DW videos page. superb all round.
j
__________________

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 12-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Jarek Witkowski's Avatar
Jarek Witkowski Jarek Witkowski is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 17
Default Re: Vinnie Colaiuta

I saw the battle between Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta and Dave Weckl. It is a very good concert and I think, that Vinnie Colaiuta was the best.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 12-21-2005, 08:13 PM
mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Vinnie Colaiuta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarek Witkowski
I saw the battle between Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta and Dave Weckl. It is a very good concert and I think, that Vinnie Colaiuta was the best.
Jarek... what are you saying? Actually a very good video; I thought they all performed admirably. That last groove section sent shivers down my spine.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 12-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Bernhard's Avatar
Bernhard Bernhard is offline
Founder Drummerworld
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Riehen - Basel - Switzerland
Posts: 2,090
Default Re: Vinnie Colaiuta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarek Witkowski
I saw the battle between Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta and Dave Weckl. It is a very good concert and I think, that Vinnie Colaiuta was the best.
This statement = FROM JAREK!!!!!!!!! Christmas must be very near....

Bernhard
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 12-21-2005, 08:36 PM
NUTHA JASON's Avatar
NUTHA JASON NUTHA JASON is offline
Senior Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: london
Posts: 3,903
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

yeah with the two young guys it was a lot of flash. then gadd starts grooving and suddenly the whole thing takes a different level.
j
__________________

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 12-22-2005, 12:12 AM
rockitman rockitman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: chicago, il. usa
Posts: 183
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

If you all haven't yet, you guys may want to check out the DVD that honors Gadd and Arman Zildjian. It features Vinnie doing Night Sprite, and another duet, the title escapes me at this time, with Rick Marotta that is super cool too. The things that Vinnie says on behalf of Steve Gadd are awesome.
Gadd then does a tune with James Taylor, and then the old Duke # "Things aint what they used to be". That tune swings so nicely for him, I thought I actually saw a beat fly off the stage. LOL.
Yeah, it's the same type solo. but it's Gadd. I can't play it that way, can you ?

Hey what do you know. . . . ." Late in the evening" just hit the top of the rotation on my
Ipod. . . . later.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com