DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-20-2007, 05:31 AM

Default Evans Hydraulic Glass

what kind of sound would the Evans Hydralic Glass give me?
Old 07-20-2007, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: EVANS HYDRALIC GLASS

dull.................

Old 07-20-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
dull.................
is that like a slipknot kind of sound?
Old 07-20-2007, 05:37 AM
Platinum Member

no........., if you want slipknot i would got for a coated EC2 as the batter, but im not to sure for the reso

Old 07-20-2007, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
no........., if you want slipknot i would got for a coated EC2 as the batter, but im not to sure for the reso
oh alright......i just want something like it......i tried the pinstripe by REMO......and that still echos, and i hate it..........so the EC2 would give me what im looking for?.......cause i want something that just doesnt resonate too much
Old 07-20-2007, 05:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Woody View Post
oh alright......i just want something like it......i tried the pinstripe by REMO......and that still echos, and i hate it..........so the EC2 would give me what im looking for?.......cause i want something that just doesnt resonate too much
the ec2 will give you a very focused warm sound, and the reso will determine how much it "resonates"

Old 07-20-2007, 05:47 AM

EC2 clear or coated?....sorry for the questions
Old 07-20-2007, 05:48 AM
Platinum Member

meh, probably coated, will be a bit warmer

Old 07-20-2007, 05:49 AM

alrite....thanks a whole lot......i have been looking for the sound for quite awhile.......this should help me out.....thanks again
Old 07-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member

Bear in mind that joey's drums are tuned wide open.

you hear the short punchy sound because the ring gets lost in the wall of guitars.

Dont make the mistake of over muffling your drums, when you play with other people, the drums will not sound very cool at all....

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 07-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Administrator

I recently took the Pinstripes off of my toms and put EC2's on. I have to tell you I was about to give up but the EC2's are just right for my ear. They sound much better than the Pins, to my ear. I used clears.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:35 PM

lots of information is good to hear.....thanks fellow drummers of the world!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:11 AM

I own the Evans Hydraulics and used to have them on all my toms (10, 12, 13, 16). At first, I thought that I loved them. because I was into metal and hard rock at the time. I was playing Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, Pantera, System of a Down, and Metallica. I loved how their drums sounded. So I tried the hydraulics and they seemed to be the closest I could get to that sound. But, one day my friend came over with his bass and stereo with a tape recorder (we were 13 at the time). I did a quick little sound check (or what seemed like it). Once I heard what my toms sounded like on the recorder, I thought- What the??? The toms sounded like cardboard (litterally).

Maybe it sounded bad on the tape recorder, but I don't know how they'll sound in a studio and professionally taken care of.

Then I got the EC2's by Evans and they sound great both ways! The EC2's are very open and provide enough resonance to sound good.

I don't play metal now. I'm into funk, gospel, and jazz, and these heads are perfect for those styles of music!

You should go with the EC2's.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:16 AM
PureRockFury

Don't even bother trying to get the exact sound as Joey. It won't happen. Unless you have his drums, mics, sticks, tuning, engineer, studio, outboard effects racks, compressors, limiters, gates, eq's, his hands, you won't get it. Not even close!

Drums don't sound like drums in a studio. That's just the nature of the instrument. They are meant to have overtones which is what carries the sound of the drum. Without overtones and using thick muffled heads all you are doing is reducing the volume of the kit.

If you find Pinstripes to "echo" then you aren't tuning right. There is just no two ways about it.

Anyway, I don't know why I'm doing this but here are the heads Joey uses.

Toms:

Clear Emperors
Clear Ambassadors

Snare:

EmperorX sometimes a Coated Emperor
Ambassador Snare Side

Bass:

Clear Powerstroke 3
Ebony Powerstroke 3
Old 07-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Pioneer Member

The clear EC2s are some of the best heads out there. Plenty of volume, lots of bottom end, and very durable.

I've tried clear Studio Xs, clear Studio Xs with power dots, clear Performance IIs, coated Response IIs, and Super 2s from Aquarian. Clear and coated EC2s and EC1s from Evans. Also Remo Pinstripes.

Clear EC2s sound great over the Evans resonant heads or G1s.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Evans Hydraulic Glass

Quote:
If there is one piece of advice I can give you about the sound of your drums: DON'T BASE IT ON WHAT YOU HEAR ON RECORDS.

The sound of the drums you hear on records isn't the sound of the drums; it's the sound of a tom, or a snare, or a bass drum that has been very highly processed by an engineer. I think a lot of beginner drummers don't realize that a drum is SUPPOSED to resonate (or "echo") And I find it very unfortunate that a lot of beginner drummers really just don't know what a good-sounding, acoustic drum set sounds like. I know when I was a beginner I had no idea. I tried to tune my drums to the sounds I heard on records. I quickly realized after doing a few studio sessions that my drums sounded awful. And I know you may hate that buzz or echo that comes from your drum after you hit it, but believe me...You need it and you want it.....That's what gives the drum its sound and tone. I'm sure that even Joey's drums resonate more than you would imagine.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

If your drums consist of a 'thud' then there is no way in Hell you'll be able to hear them in an audience. A few weeks ago I did a gig where the drummer had ebony pinstripes on his kit, tuned low with muffling. I had to sit in on this kit (with my own snare and cymbals) and I avoided the toms because there was no volume whatsoever coming from the kit. When he went on, I was in the audience and it was actually hard to hear the toms. Fast forward to last week where I had a gig in a biker pub. It's my kit being used, and I retuned it for 'rock' (i.e. reducing the tension slightly on the batters) and I use Remo Ambassador Coated heads. The toms sounded great and I had absolutely no issue hearing them, with exactly the same PA, the same engineer and this gig was outside.

Moral of the story? Dead drums equate to no volume equate to audience not hearing a thing. Not good for your sound.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:17 PM

If you want a cheap way to modify remo pinstripes try a roll of foam weather stripping its cheaper than buying new heads and if you dont like it you can remove it just place it around the inside of the batter head about one inch from the edge. It will definetly get rid of overtones
Old 04-14-2009, 01:59 AM

I was thinking about purchasing the hydraulics, right now i have a Mapex v series kit with g2 on top g1 on bottom i have to use rings on the toms to tone them down there just 2 loud, so i was thinking about trying the hydralics, or should i work with the tuning of what I got, maybe tune the reso head a little higher so they dont ring that much, any help would be appreciated, thks.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:24 AM

If you want more volume but with a controlled sound, I prefer the EC2's I have them on my kits sounds great.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:21 AM

***SNIP***
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcx08 View Post
If there is one piece of advice I can give you about the sound of your drums: DON'T BASE IT ON WHAT YOU HEAR ON RECORDS.
***END SNIP***

This is what everyone bases the sound of their kit on until they have the opportunity to hear one sound like it should.

One time I came to a jam night and the bass player and guitar player each had a tom taken apart. They told me that my kit sounded terrible and that they figured they could do a better job. The guitar player took a 1 hour lesson on "how to tune drums" at a recording seminar, and the bass player things he is the smartest thing on two legs.

Well, they learned very quickly that it is an art form, and that there are many options. It took me about a 1/2 hour to straighten it out and we now have an agreement. "I won't adjust the set ups on their guitars and they won't mess with my kit!"

If you are having tuning issues, I would head down to a drum shop and get someone to walk you through tuning a kit, and you will find they can get a good sound out of terrible stock heads.

That said, I was running EC2's over G2's and it was a good loud thick sound. I just ran some duct tape on the reso's to compensate for my lack of tuning skills. I am ok, just not great yet. It takes practice and time.

You will get your sound. Just make sure its your sound and not someone else's sound!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Silver Member

I like all of the advice given on this question and I agree completely, having said that I have 2 sets of heads for my kit. I use the Remo Pinstripes when in normal situations, I have used them a long time and I'm just used to them and I have a set of the Hydraulics in black, they are for rehearsing in a very small space or in acoustic situations where I don't want a lot of resonance and they record nicely in some situations as well. When the pinstripes are on their last legs I am going to make a switch, probably to the Evans EC series so it seems that the Evans are getting the most votes.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:55 AM

Im thinking of getting EC2 Clear as batter, would G1 fit in as Reso?