DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-16-2007, 08:12 PM

Default coated diplomat on snare side

I wanna try putting a coated diplomat on the snare side of my snare drum. I have a coated ambassador on top. I'm a little frustrated because everyone I've talked to about this thinks i have no idea what I'm talking about and tell me that a coated diplomat doesn't exist. well..... http://www.wwbw.com/Remo-Diplomat-Co...s-i19513.music

so i'm pretty sure they exist. what I'm wondering is if it would not work as well as a "diplomat snare side" drum head because of the coating. Maybe it wouldn't respond to the snares as well? Do you think it would work? thanks in advance
Old 07-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: coated diplomat on snare side

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcl1627 View Post
I wanna try putting a coated diplomat on the snare side of my snare drum. I have a coated ambassador on top. I'm a little frustrated because everyone I've talked to about this thinks i have no idea what I'm talking about and tell me that a coated diplomat doesn't exist. well..... http://www.wwbw.com/Remo-Diplomat-Co...s-i19513.music

so i'm pretty sure they exist. what I'm wondering is if it would not work as well as a "diplomat snare side" drum head because of the coating. Maybe it wouldn't respond to the snares as well? Do you think it would work? thanks in advance
Well it says it is popular on underside tom heads, but nothing about snare. I hate to answer not having any experience with it, but better then no answer.

Why would you want this over a regular clear diplomat snare side head? Are you trying to achieve a certain sound that you think this might have?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

It would be too thick I think

You need a Hazy head to get a good responsive sound.

Having said that, if you have money to spare I say give it a try, It can hurt to find out.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 07-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Diplomat SNARE side is 3 mils thick, and clear (no coated version available).

Diplomat BATTER side is 7 mils thick, and is available clear or coated.

The head you want to try is much thicker than the average snare side head, and the coating will make it even less responsive.

BTW, the "average" snare side head is 5 mils, as seen in the Ambassador snare side or the Hazy 500 from Evans.

What the heck, try it and tell us how it sounds! I doubt I would like it, but to each their own.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
Well it says it is popular on underside tom heads, but nothing about snare. I hate to answer not having any experience with it, but better then no answer.

Why would you want this over a regular clear diplomat snare side head? Are you trying to achieve a certain sound that you think this might have?
I want a warmer sound with less ringing to it. I could get a thicker head on the batter side, but i also want the feel of an ambassador, so that doesn't work. It doesn't help that my snare side head is really old either, but i want to try something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
It would be too thick I think

You need a Hazy head to get a good responsive sound.

Having said that, if you have money to spare I say give it a try, It can hurt to find out.
It's the same thickness. It just has coating on it. Maybe its a little thicker, but i've heard of people using ambassadors as a snare reso and its definately thinner than that.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post

The head you want to try is much thicker than the average snare side head, and the coating will make it even less responsive.

BTW, the "average" snare side head is 5 mils, as seen in the Ambassador snare side or the Hazy 500 from Evans.

What the heck, try it and tell us how it sounds! I doubt I would like it, but to each their own.
I guess i was wrong about the two different types of diplomats being the same thickness.

Does anyone know when the hazy snare side head was invented, and what they used before that?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:51 PM
PureRockFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post

Actually try this.

Diplomat Snare Side is 2mil thick
Ambassador Snare Side is 3mil thick
Emperor Snare Side is 5mil thick

Diplomat Batters are 7.5mil thick

As for Evans

Hazy 200 is 2mil thick
Hazy 300 is 3mil thick
Hazy 500 is 5mil thick
Old 07-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureRockFury View Post
Actually try this.

Diplomat Snare Side is 2mil thick
Ambassador Snare Side is 3mil thick
Emperor Snare Side is 5mil thick

Diplomat Batters are 7.5mil thick

As for Evans

Hazy 200 is 2mil thick
Hazy 300 is 3mil thick
Hazy 500 is 5mil thick
I believe you are correct. I was going from memory, which seems to be an increasingly risky thing to do!

The point is the same, though. The Diplomat batter head is much heavier than the snare side heads, and the coating would only decrease sensitivity.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:28 PM

For drier snare activity you can try Evans Genera 300 snare side. They are smooth white 3mil snare side heads which warms and dries the sound a bit. I use it on my Yammie Elvin Jones sig snare with excellent results.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Administrator

I use a hazy 300 on both of my snares, and still want more sensitivity, so my next purchase will be a 200. I haven't heard one but cannot imagine a coated head on the snare side. But everything on this earth started with an experiment. Lab On.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
For drier snare activity you can try Evans Genera 300 snare side. They are smooth white 3mil snare side heads which warms and dries the sound a bit. I use it on my Yammie Elvin Jones sig snare with excellent results.
it seems like thats what i would be looking for. I'm definitely gonna check that out. Thanks for the suggestion.