DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

Default I need a backrest throne....

Im going to replace my stock throne, and Id like something with a backrest.

What Ive been looking at are basically

Tama Ergo Rider Quartet with backrest

Or

Roc'n'Soc Motorbike throne with backrest

So far I like the Roc'n'Scoc as it has a velvet cover to stop sweat build up - a problem I suffer from.

What do you think?

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 07-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Rickk

Default Re: I need a backrest throne....

I have the ROC N SOC with backrest and really like it, it is very smooth and comfortable.

Rick
Old 07-09-2007, 05:04 PM
fourstringdrums

I'd go with the Roc 'n Soc personally. I have never liked the stability of the Tama thrones, and of course we have the "Tama Throne Warning" thread to consider.

I've always liked SoundSeat drum thrones www.soundseat.com They are leather, have a hydraulic lift, and come with a back rest. Each seat is tailored to the drummer' s needed height. So you measure how high you usually put your seat and give the measurement to them so they can put the right lift on it.

At the moment I'm using my Yamaha round seat because I needed to get out of the habit of using the backrest, and I needed something alittle more vertically stable. The SoundSeat has a slight amoutn of "give" when you sit on it, that alot of drummers like, but for a while I needed something that didn't have that give.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:06 PM

why a backrest? I'm of the thought that backrest are bad since they teach your back to be lazy instead of having to support yourself.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Rob - Im probably going to go with the Roc'n'Soc. I like the fact that the velvety stuff doesnt make me sweat too much.

Legacyric - I have always had posture problems, so I want to use a back rest to help keep my back straight.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

i agree with you on that one..but inbetween songs...i would like to lean back and kind'uve relax...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacyrik View Post
why a backrest? I'm of the thought that backrest are bad since they teach your back to be lazy instead of having to support yourself.
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 07-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

Keep in mind the foam on the roc's is inferior to the foam Tama uses. When you sweat the Roc's cloth top will absorbe the sweat, but also send it on down into the foam, the foam will become water logged and turn to mush quickly. I've experienced this first hand.

IMO your better off with the Tama, use a cover or towel on top of it, you can easily wash a removeable cover also. Tama is a better quality seat top. The back rest assembly on the Roc is not that high quality either.

I'm not a big fan of Roc because they use cheap foam, which burns-out long before the better stuff, especially if you sweat a lot. Gibraltar would be worth looking into also. Roc buys the bottom section/stand part of the throne they use from Gibraltar.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Rickk

Bojangleman has it right, if your playing and want to relax in between songs you can just lean back.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangleman View Post
i agree with you on that one..but inbetween songs...i would like to lean back and kind'uve relax...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickk View Post
Bojangleman has it right, if your playing and want to relax in between songs you can just lean back.
Yep, thats another added bonus.

Les ismore - I dunno, now you have me worried. One of my friends has had a Roc'n'Soc throne for Ten Years, and it is still in good condition.

I dont sweat alot, but I hate the clammy feeling of most thrones.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:45 PM

[quote]i agree with you on that one..but inbetween songs...i would like to lean back and kind'uve relax...
QUOTE]

I guess that is a good point, although standing up for a sec might be a better option, my butt falls asleep anyway when I sit too long:)
Old 07-12-2007, 03:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
Yep, thats another added bonus.

Les ismore - I dunno, now you have me worried. One of my friends has had a Roc'n'Soc throne for Ten Years, and it is still in good condition.

I dont sweat alot, but I hate the clammy feeling of most thrones.
We all sweat a little. I'm not a fan of cloth tops, they get dirty (sweaty) and stinky. 'On top of it' Roc does not use quality foam, Tama and DW actually put thought into the foam they use. 10 years means nothing, its how much its used in 10 years. I have a car thats 40 years old and its in great shape.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:49 AM
Platinum Member

better than thinkin you have a back rest and leanin back and falling off...lol...ive done that...my back hurt so bad i guess i was just hoping enough that there was one there..and yep..i fell right off the back....hahaha

[quote=Legacyrik;334128]
Quote:
QUOTE]

I guess that is a good point, although standing up for a sec might be a better option, my butt falls asleep anyway when I sit too long:)
Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 07-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
We all sweat a little. I'm not a fan of cloth tops, they get dirty (sweaty) and stinky. 'On top of it' Roc does not use quality foam, Tama and DW actually put thought into the foam they use. 10 years means nothing, its how much its used in 10 years. I have a car thats 40 years old and its in great shape.
I suppose.

Im just going to go and buy the throne that feels most comfy, and actually Im thinking of getting a Tama throne and buying a Protection Racket seat cover for it to stop the clammy-ness.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballdrummer34 View Post
Man, i got the same thing and i love it. You think maybe you sit way foward? It keeps my back completely straight. I recomend to anyone.
Im glad, thats the one Ive decided on....

Old 07-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Im glad, thats the one Ive decided on....

I think it's a great choice. I have one and while standing up is also a good idea it's not always possible depending on the type of gig you're playing. I have mine setup so when I'm playing it's not supporting me but in between songs I can sit back and take a little bit of pressure off it. For me it works really well!

The other thing to consider if you're buying the base and all is to get one with the hydraulic function like the Nitro or similar. You'll be amazed at how much more comfortable those are compared to the screw type bases.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

true to that brother..haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
I think it's a great choice. I have one and while standing up is also a good idea it's not always possible depending on the type of gig you're playing. I have mine setup so when I'm playing it's not supporting me but in between songs I can sit back and take a little bit of pressure off it. For me it works really well!

The other thing to consider if you're buying the base and all is to get one with the hydraulic function like the Nitro or similar. You'll be amazed at how much more comfortable those are compared to the screw type bases.
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 07-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacyrik View Post

Aging is a consideration.....

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 07-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for all the responses.

The one thing bothering me is - do the cloth tops get dirty?

Can you clean them?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses.

The one thing bothering me is - do the cloth tops get dirty?

Can you clean them?
All seat tops get dirty. Put your nose next to your seat top, it probably smells like ass. The question is how much time do you want to spend cleaning your seat top? Cloth tops can be cleaned, but its a lot more work compared to vinyl.

Once you get your cloth top cleaned, turn it upside down to dry (gravity). You don't want moisture getting into the foam. Cloth tops take hours to air dry, vinyl is dry in seconds.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:51 AM

when i stay sit for a long time my back start hurting ( so when I play drums for a long time it hurts too :( )

the back rest can be good for me?

any suggestions

Tama, Remo, Sabian, Vicfirth
Old 07-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
All seat tops get dirty. Put your nose next to your seat top, it probably smells like ass. The question is how much time do you want to spend cleaning your seat top? Cloth tops can be cleaned, but its a lot more work compared to vinyl.

Once you get your cloth top cleaned, turn it upside down to dry (gravity). You don't want moisture getting into the foam. Cloth tops take hours to air dry, vinyl is dry in seconds.
Can you recommend a way to clean vinyl, and also cloth tops?

Old 07-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Can you recommend a way to clean vinyl, and also cloth tops?

Vinyl I use a little bleech in water. You can use just about any cleaner. Drum co's will prob recommend plain soap and water. Yeah, now days what's plain soap and water? Theres some real funk on your drum stool top Jak. Whatever you use, let it sit for a spell, that funk is worked into the vinyl, taking a brush or a mild scrubbie pad to it helps a lot also. loosen the goosen.

Cleaning cloth tops, your gonna need to take a few classes. It's work dude. Rent ($30) a carpet cleaner w/upholstery tool if you want it done right. The more you scrub with a brush you weaken the cloth and its nap. You may have to wait 'days' till its dry. If you got one of thos pretty jobs you may loose some color in the process, wouldn't want that now would you?

Got some sweet piping on that cloth top? More work grasshopper and when cloth dries piping may not be straight but wobbely.

You can always throw a towel on a vinyl top, or have your favorite Betsy Ross sew you a nice fabric cover, which you can take off and wash in a washing machine.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:02 PM

Roc-n-Soc Nitro with back rest. Wonderfully comfy.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Silver Member

Backrest or not, one thing to keep in mind if any of you plan to travel with your seat and desire to take the seat off the stand to fit into a gig case ... DO NOT purchase a DW airlift.

While it is a great seat, comfy, well padded, and super sturdy with four legs, there is a design defect. You can't take the seat off once it is on! Joey
Old 07-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Vinyl I use a little bleech in water. You can use just about any cleaner. Drum co's will prob recommend plain soap and water. Yeah, now days what's plain soap and water? Theres some real funk on your drum stool top Jak. Whatever you use, let it sit for a spell, that funk is worked into the vinyl, taking a brush or a mild scrubbie pad to it helps a lot also. loosen the goosen.

Cleaning cloth tops, your gonna need to take a few classes. It's work dude. Rent ($30) a carpet cleaner w/upholstery tool if you want it done right. The more you scrub with a brush you weaken the cloth and its nap. You may have to wait 'days' till its dry. If you got one of thos pretty jobs you may loose some color in the process, wouldn't want that now would you?

Got some sweet piping on that cloth top? More work grasshopper and when cloth dries piping may not be straight but wobbely.

You can always throw a towel on a vinyl top, or have your favorite Betsy Ross sew you a nice fabric cover, which you can take off and wash in a washing machine.
Ok then.....

You win.....

Im might look into the Gibraltar thrones, they are basically a vinyl rocnsoc right?

And ill get a protection racket fluffy seat cover or two....

Old 07-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ok then.....

You win.....

Im might look into the Gibraltar thrones, they are basically a vinyl rocnsoc right?

And ill get a protection racket fluffy seat cover or two....

Since Gibraltar makes throne bases for (just about) every drum co that doesnt have a metal works, the plus to buying Gibraltar is going to be a better bottom/base. Gibby's thrones will always have the latest and greatest bases, they won't make something better for their competition to sell. Check out Gibby's throne base compared to DW, Rock n Soc, Pork etc. Its the same, only upgraded with a few litte bits.

The tops/seats are what's going to be different. Any drum co can make a stool top out of foam and wood, you could make your own for that matter if you do upholstery, would just need the clamp/bottom bracket.

I favor the Tama Ergo (First Chair line). The base is strong and lighter than Gibraltar.