DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 12-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: I'm FINISHED with acoustic drums

Thats cool man it's all personal I played the top line Roland in a drum shop and it was amazing but...

I just couldn't do it!

Last edited by driver; 12-03-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Nothing can replace acoustic drums in the sound, the feel, and the personal aspect of the instrument. Electronic drums might sound fairly close to an acoustic drum, but they'll never quite be it.
And that's one of the advantages of electronic drums. No fussing with tuning, weather and always perfect sound. Yes, that is different from acoustic drums.

After running acoustic drums through a board and PA, they're not going to sound the same anyway. From that perspective, even acoustic drums are "electronic."

I like the look and physicality of real whole wood, though. Electronic drums just look weird.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
Great, and all those e-kit guys will have to do is wait 10-12 years for the next Manheim Steamroller wannabes to blow past them. In the meantime the acoustic drum guys can play the 1.6 million gigs in between.
sure......ok....i dont quite get the point?
Old 01-18-2008, 03:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrolicious View Post
Yeah, exactly, that's why Buddy Rich was such a lousy drummer. He never played an electric kit, just a horrible sounding Slingerland.
Besides, I'd love to own a car without windows or a trunk.

I'd love an Ariel Atom. I'd sell my sister for one.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
well today i went out and rented an electronic drumset, so that i could become more familiar with the control module, and i have to say, im never going back to acoustic

being able to switch to completly different sound kits with the push of a button, and having drums that sound professional, i cant see any other way. i dont know what it is that keeps people playing acoustic, but i suggest trying out an electric for more then an hour (if you havn't) , although i might buy another cymbal for my acoustic, the rest of my drumming will probably go to electric.

i know im going to get cyber bullied for this, but what can i say? i can't belive i didn't buy one of these before
There is no elec. kit out there that plays like a acoustic not even Roland it's close but still not the same IMO.

Bonzolead
Old 01-18-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
i dont know what it is that keeps people playing acoustic,
For me it's the sensory rush of stick against membrane and bronze.

I've tried out electronic kits in music stores and gotton another kind of rush, the rush of a monumental sound with minimal effort. I can see how that could be addictive. I would like to get a set someday for late-night basement practice sessions, but they will never replace my tubs.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldStampK View Post
For me it's the sensory rush of stick against membrane and bronze.

I've tried out electronic kits in music stores and gotton another kind of rush, the rush of a monumental sound with minimal effort. I can see how that could be addictive. I would like to get a set someday for late-night basement practice sessions, but they will never replace my tubs.
Exactly, not only that but I don't. want to look like i'm playing "Rock Band" the game on stage LOL

Bonzolead
Old 01-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Gold Member

I play both acoustic and electric. There are situations where each is best. It really depends on the gig and the player.

I've used some top-of-the-line Rolands and stuff...and they still don't pick up on all my ghost notes, etc. For jazz, I would never in a million years use an electric.

Also, for those of us who like getting unique sounds from our drums...using various shells and rims, the sides of cymbals, etc, you can't get any of that from an electric.

You also can't do things like bend the pitch of a tom by pressing in on an electric, as you can with an acoustic.

When I play gigs with my electric, I really, REALLY end up missing this stuff. However, if I was just a straight rocker, who didn't do any of that more expressive drumming stuff, I wouldn't mind using my electric a lot more. It certainly is great to play in settings where the volume really needs to be controlled, such as coffeehouses or small churches.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Gold Member

Yeah, I'm never going to play my acoustic trombone again, I'll use a synthesizer instead. ;-)

I'm convinced that fully half the market for e-kits is to drummers who can't or won't learn to tune.

Meanwhile, it's about sound. There are many forumites here who grew up hearing recorded drumsets. When that's the case a real drumset is quite the shock. Half the questions on this forum come from distraught drummers wanting to know how to muffle drums to sound like recordings. Tone? What's that?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
Great, and all those e-kit guys will have to do is wait 10-12 years for the next Manheim Steamroller wannabes to blow past them. In the meantime the acoustic drum guys can play the 1.6 million gigs in between.
Im sure if a multi-million dollar band wanted, or felt the need to, use acoustic drums that they would. I myself prefer acoustic, but that alone would not make or break a band.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:44 PM

I have been playing acoustics for a good couple of years (but not regularly) and have hardly ever got a recorded sound I like, especially toms. Perhaps this is because I havent spent the time refining the recording process but for me an e-kit is much better in that respect. I can get a sound I like much quicker, and then get another exact sound I like for another song...

Hence, why I will soon sell my acoustic kit and trade for an electric. In some ways it will be sad to see the acoustics go but at the end of the day if your not in a regular band, and can't practice on them (volume) then Id rather have a kit I can practice on every day and also record with when needed. There is no question between them for me, but I totally understand other drummers sticking to acoustics, especially the ones who have really played alot and practiced alot on them (unlike me) and become 'intwined' with them. Ofcourse if I had the space, and place to practice id keep an acoustic as well as an e-kit but...

With regard to recording, I think it will still take a fair bit of playing about to get a good e-kit sound, especially with the cymbals. I will likely use real hats overdubbed on some tracks, as the e-kit hats, although good for some songs, can sound a little too 'electric', especially when half open/open playing. But again it depends what sound you want, and I play in a small band who do quite electric, futuristic sounding songs and sound tracks anyway, so I think the e-kit will fit in a treat.

If they're good enough for Omar Hakim, then theyre good enough for me!
Old 01-23-2008, 12:59 PM

I have a Roland E-kit which I purchased for the purpose of learning songs in my practice room without shaking the rafters for hours on end, I've also used it for a couple of simple studio demos. It's great playing without all the racket & it actually encourages me to practice when I otherwise wouldn't. They're great for what I bought them for, but no way would I ever gig with them.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:20 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

I won't try to persuade you either way but I will share an experience with you.

Going from acoustic drums to electronic pads seems cool dosen't it.? When you come from an acoustic kit to a elec. kit you can just burn on those pad. Be ware man, if you every go back to acoustic drums your playing will suffer. Those pads bounce much bette than traditional drum heads. Your playing will change and if you back to acoustic drums your speed will decline and your feel will be off.

Point of interest: A few years back I did a clinic tour for Fender with Ray Riendeau on Bass and Greg Koch on guitar. We played a bunch of music stores and Guitar Centers. There was no were to warm up at most venues but at one Guitar center in Colorado I decided to warm up on a set of V-Drums in the drum room before the clinic. I thought I was burning and ready to kick some butt!! Then when I walked out to my acoustic kit for the clinic it felt like mud to me. I remember not playing very well that night at all. Just my opinion but watch that bounce and speed factor.

Joe Morris
Old 01-24-2008, 09:38 AM
nhzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
I have a Roland E-kit which I purchased for the purpose of learning songs in my practice room without shaking the rafters for hours on end, I've also used it for a couple of simple studio demos. It's great playing without all the racket & it actually encourages me to practice when I otherwise wouldn't. They're great for what I bought them for, but no way would I ever gig with them.
This is the main reason I really want to get an E-kit. But I doubt it will ever replace my acoustic. Then again I have changed my mind before and reserve the right to do it again...LOL By the way can you play rim clicks, ghost notes, accents etc on an e-kit?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
This is the main reason I really want to get an E-kit...By the way can you play rim clicks, ghost notes, accents etc on an e-kit?
I play a Tama Techstar, born in 1985, http://www.cykong.com/Synths/Tama%20.../TamaTS305.htm and with an acoustic snare and cymbals, it's an amazing combo. There's one on eBay right now http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching a model # newer than mine. It's a 6 channel synthesiser. The model I have comes with a dedicated snare pad, and it does have a rim shot device. 2 triggers on 1 drum. But what I use the Tama snare pad for is a poor man's Korg Wave drum. Now, if you've priced wave drums, they run $2K-3K (used - OOP). My whole Tama drum rig was under $300. I paid more than that for the Ahead snare I run with the Tama's. And with a volume knob on every channel of the Tama, and volume knobs on both PM-1 amps, I can practice to a portable CD player if I want to.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
By the way can you play rim clicks, ghost notes, accents etc on an e-kit?
Yes, to a degree. My snare is a Hart Pro & is dual zone, rims clicks are very nice. As far as ghost notes, there is definately an aquired feel there, they don't pick up all of them & sometimes pick up notes you didn't intend to hear (crossfeed). They serve a purpose for me but will never replace acoustics.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:44 PM

The high end Roland kits all have dual zone mesh pads (change sound from middle to edge) and I think they are great for ghost notes. Side sticks sound nice, and you can also rim shot them (including the toms). If you want a less bouncy feel, try the plastic pads which the cheaper roland kits use, or you can adjust the 'skin' on the mesh heads (by the same method as you would with an acoustic drum).

I like the mesh pads for the snares, but they do feel a bit to bouncy for the toms, so rubber pads would be better there I think. Although Roland only seem to make the plastic pads the size of a saucer...:(
Old 01-24-2008, 02:47 PM

I played on a td-12 for about a year now, those kit are realy nice and the sound quality insane, no doubt about that... But the thing is, when i played on a accoustic kit i dosent like my playing at all, i fell not to good......

one advice tune your vdrum haed like a real drum the floor has to be loose etc...

Good drumming :)
Old 01-24-2008, 11:48 PM

my dtxtreme has actual drum heads. I like this due to fact that i dont get out of practice when i go to an acoustic.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:51 PM

I think it's safe to say you can do more with a hybrid kit than you can with electrics or acoustics exclusively, but I'm going all electric right now just for the challenge of it. (Old people like me do stupid stuff like that...) I've been playing all-E with my classic rock band for a couple years. They work fine for that type of stuff. The hard part is making them work for technical drumming. You can't just try to substitute A-drums all the time, I think it requires throwing your paradigms out the window in order to make E-drums work for you. Hopefully I'll get there soon and put my money where my mouth is.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa View Post
just saw trans siberian orchestra, he uses e-kit!!!
OH Rock-band Drummer nice LOL

Bonzolead
Old 01-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

This discussion has already eaten itself twice, but I might as well throw in my two pieces of bread here.

In modern music the acoustic drum kit is an electric instrument in just the same way that an electric guitar is, except you have mics as transducers instead of pickups. An electric kit is the equivalent of a midi guitar, and while they exist, they've never replaced the conventional electric version.

My main reservation when it comes to e-kits is that they can never get any better than when they started. They are manufactured at the highest level they can be at. An acoustic kit, on the other hand, can sound amazing if it's mic'd properly, or in the right room (or both), and you never know when that particular sound is exactly what you need. In my experience electric kits stick out like a sore thumb on recordings. If you go back 40 years, you'll find classic tracks with what would now be thought of as quite poor drum recordings, but they work with the songs. Would anyone seriously suggest that you could re-record Mitch Mitchell's drum tracks with an e-kit and it would sound as good? Even with vintage tape machines, desks, etc? That random organic element just isn't there. And what if you want to move the mics? An electric kit takes away your freedom to express yourself, in my humble opinion.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashin Jack View Post
I think it's safe to say you can do more with a hybrid kit than you can with electrics or acoustics exclusively, but I'm going all electric right now just for the challenge of it. (Old people like me do stupid stuff like that...) I've been playing all-E with my classic rock band for a couple years. They work fine for that type of stuff. The hard part is making them work for technical drumming. You can't just try to substitute A-drums all the time, I think it requires throwing your paradigms out the window in order to make E-drums work for you. Hopefully I'll get there soon and put my money where my mouth is.
I totally agree, i have a hell of a time making moeller sound good on an ekit. there just doesnt seem to be enough dynamics to capture the different strokes. also ghost notes are very difficult to preform. but, like you said, for good old rock and 4 on the floor stuff, it works wonders!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
i know what your saying, but i mean, with the click of a button, you can change from a metal snare, to a wood snare, to an african drum, in a matter of seconds.

if only i could replace the toms on my acoustic with the ones on my electric, that would sound amazing

true... but how many times are you going to be changing sounds when your actually playing a gig? I own an e kit and acousitc... and i would pick the acousitc over it any day.. the eletric is used only for practice alone or when im workin on a new song away from the practice place... I have played both of the drums at the same time though.. and that is pretty cool
Old 02-01-2008, 03:35 PM

I love my E drums (Hart Gigapro with Roland TD-12). Also, for anyone who's played a Roland module out-of-box, it doesn't compare to the sounds of which the module is capable (TD-12 or 20 and I think 10 exp). Much tweaking is needed and/or custom kits can be purchased (Vexpressions). Be careful if you loosen heads on an E kit to mimic the feel of an acoustic you can ruin the cones (underneath). As to looks, acoustics can be converted to electronic and the average Joe would never know. And yes many people are biased against E drums.

I am fortunate to also have acoustic kits so it's the best of both worlds.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

I think it's important to remember that what you are doing with an electric kit is real time programming of sounds. It's a world away from any acoustic instrument.

Also, practical consideration for live stuff...electric kits allow sound engineers to turn you down all the way! Your band will end up being quieter than everyone else playing, unless you've got someone really good doing the sound. I've seen this happen with people I know who use drum machines live. At least with acoustic drums you can control whether or not you're actually making a sound in the first place.